• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official TGC Event #1! 209 entrants! Houston, Tx!

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
$2.50 for a tiny bag of GUSHERS? Are you effing kidding me? That made me salty.

Anyways, cool tournament. Obviously can improve but 200+ and finishing before 1:30 wasn't isn't terrible. SOCIAL SKILLS MONEY MATCH?!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Fun tourney, great stuff as always.

A few problems here and there, but I think they were obvious and hopefully will be improved.

Shoutouts to Monster Hunter for helping me get better at Smash.

See you all at the next one.

Nkguy01

Smash Apprentice
Dude Shaky you are an inspiration to me as a Ness main. I remember warching your brawl vids and kicking a bunch of metaknight butt. I want to marry you. Also, good **** to Runct for placing pretty well with Peach. She is my secondary.

Gonna have to watch vids pretty soon.

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
@ Xyro77 Xyro77 - I used R.O.B. in singles.

In 2v2 I used R.O.B., and my doubles partner Locuan used Link.

There were several Marios here, I'm surprised none of them made it into top 8. All of them played really well.

Shoutouts to my out-of-town friends and acquaintances:

@Castro - Our match was the most fun. Bowser Jr. vs. R.O.B. is an interesting MU, I'll get that **** down eventually!

@Bonren - It was nice seeing you guys. Good job getting 33rd despite being sent to losers so early. Hopefully we'll play next time, man. I like how we're all improving at the same rate.

@G-Wolf - I enjoyed seeing you, it had been quite a while. Pretty smooth Falco play. Mario though. :<

@ HeroMystic HeroMystic - Nice to finally meet you in person. Despite the several Marios playing, I didn't get to see yours.

@Rebel - I'm glad you've settled on a main and a secondary, and both are characters I'd like to see more of in competitive play. Always good seeing you dude.

@ Sinister Slush Sinister Slush - Good **** placing 13th, we need to play some time.

@Illmatic. - :4wiifitm:

@firewingpegasus - Always a pleasure seeing you! You all should come to Austin, San Antonio, or San Marcos some time to play.

@kj - Congratulations on placing 13th. Marth is quite underrated. I hope we can play in a tournament match one day.

@Teshie U - Thanks for all the advice, man. I always enjoy spectating your matches. I hope you come to SpaceLab!

@Jerm - Shoutouts to you and Tesh for avenging my team in doubles lol.

And good games to all of my opponents. I hope I tagged the right people, Smashboards is acting up on this browser.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
@ Xyro77 Xyro77 In dubs, Jerm also used TL and Gnes also used Pikachu.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
ABK had about 51 days to get the menu done and once it was done (3 days before the event) he never updated the OP with the menu.

Kinda good that he didn't because the owner decided to not honor the agreed food prices and so he raised everything by A LOT. It sucks cause we had yall some 2$ burgers but he raised it to like $6.50 or something.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
That feel when my *** gushers cost more than the original BURGER price. lol

I would recommend using TIO somehow next time btw. Challonge is just bad since it can't update the TV usage.

Megafox vs Shaky was also BEAUTIFUL. Great Smash 4 play.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, if the prices stay that high, then people will eventually stop buying food and go out to eat. Gotta be smart about it. Price it so that you still get a small profit, but not a stupid high price where it will turn people away. Selling a can of soda for $2 when you can get a 12 pack for like $4 at worst...that's a 600% markup. I didn't know I was going to the movies...

If you want next time, I can bring one of my old laptops and someone can walk around with it and message you guys about which TVs are available. Assuming if you guys stick with the current management system (I hope not tbh...).

Last edited:

Nike.

Smash Hero
The League of Shadows has dealt yet another blow to the homelands of Fire Nation. Victory has defeated you.

Last edited:

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
I used Sheik and Puff
Shoutouts to all my friends I haven't seen in a few weeks
Nice to know you all placed pretty highly

SilentDrumr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Silentdrumr
I used Mario and Doctor Mario.

Shoutouts to:
@ Xyro77 Xyro77 , the best samus in the world, for hosting and the extremely close matches we had in set.

@Illmatic. Thanks for taking my money! Jk, great money matches and awesome custom palutena. It's always a pleasure playing your aggressive playstyle.

@ Knife8193 Knife8193 Yo, nice playing you again. Your link is scary man. Always keeping me on edge with those jabs. Keep up the good work bro

@Trela for showing me the true way of the doc. We played a couple of friendlies at 4 glory and it got me into making doc my secondary, which helped me win against mindless's fox.

And also to all of sync's crew (asa/pj/tesh) that I got to see again after a looong time.

Great matches to all my opponents too. I definitely learned a lot and look forward to playing yall again.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Sylveon used :4ganondorf: (a very good Ganon), Diagonal used :4mario:, Valdens used :4falco: and :4luigi:, Bonren used :4zelda: and :4shulk:, CH12 used :4peach:,Pinoy used :4falco: and :4villagerf:, Alvisor used :4sheik:. That's all I remember for now.

I'm pretty disappointed in my performance. I'm gonna hold the johns and say I'm going to have to git gud.

Tournament ran at a very slow pace, some setups were unused for periods of 30 minutes or more (maybe call out a match as soon as one's reported?). But I don't want to beat a dead horse, so it is what it is. The hype did not disappoint however. I was sad about no Pokemon happening, but that's understandable, especially with most of TX being in Florida for the regional (though I have no clue how that would have fit in the schedule). Unfortunately my cousin had bought a ticket online thinking Pokemon was happening, but I had to tell him it wasn't going to happen the day of. Food was eh and definitely overpriced for what it was. Here's a few shoutouts:

Zura - thanks for teaming man, we should wi-fi sometime

Silentdrummer - Your Mario is still very slick and now that you're getting a PHD under your belt, I don't even know how I'm gonna deal with you. I hope to see you at the next big thing.

Illmatic - I will be taking my $5 back soon, so don't hold to it too tight.

Kadin - Some fun friendlies we had, GGs

San Antonio team - Thanks for coming out, it was nice seeing some of you and see Megafox taking the cake. You guys truly have a very tight and supportive community, I can tell. Houston will make up for our overall bad perfomance at one of your SAMs. Also, we need to settle our set Castro! I'll see if I can head out to one of your weeklies sometime.

Pinoy and CH12 - Thanks for coming out all the way from Katy to play, I hope to get some friendlies up against you guys soon.

Bonren - Always nice seeing you at these tourneys

Xyro, Krebs, and Alex - You guys are an excellent team of TOs. Of course, don't take my comment above personal or anything, just friendly criticism. I look forwards to attending your tournament rotations in the future.

GGs and nice seeing anyone not mentioned here.

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
I think my official chant should be "Like this post" from now on. Like this post if you agree.

Jopan1026

Smash Cadet
Shoutouts to everybody who attended for making the event so big.

Shoutouts to the people who made the event possible.

Shoutouts to all the SA players for working so hard and being so good.

Shoutouts to being taken out in winners bracket by Megafox, then in losers bracket by Espy. Only SA players can stop me! j/k

Shoutouts to all the people I played.
RPM - Your Yoshi was tough! Keep on working on it, he's a great character!

Tipy - I haven't fought a good toon link before. Your barrage of attacks and projectiles had me overwhelmed! This set probably got me closest to a heart attack! With how close our matches were it's no surprise to me that you climbed back up so high!

NameCommander - Great matches! I saw some of your matches and you were doing really well. I'm afraid of how the matches would have gone if you had more MU experience against Rosaluma.

Cake - Our matches were really fun. Great sonic! Your style is so different from Espy's, it was really interesting to play a different sonic.

Zori - Our matches were mega close! I don't know if I would have been able to pull off the win if Tesh hadn't come to our weekly in SA and gave me a beating with Mega man 2 days before! Also, a little luck helped as well lol.

- Players that beat me -
Megafox - I hope one day I can get to the same level as you top players. I always enjoy playing top players even if they just wreck me lol. I think you will be the next Zero and be the best player in the world. I think all smashers need to know who you are!

Espy - You're a big inspiration to me to play smash. The level you think at on smash is a whole different level. Janky and abusive tactics can't take that away from you. You are an amazing player. I don't think I would even want to be in the smash scene if you weren't in it.

- Other Players -
Trela - You are another player that is just so amazing. I'm still very excited that I got a chance to play you at SAM 2 and meet you. You're such a great guy and I'm glad to be a part of such an amazing smash community. A big part of me putting the effort to make it to TGC was you telling me to go. That meant a lot to me.

iGGY - For representing Rosalina! I didn't get to meet you, but I really wish I had seen some more of your matches! What little I did see of you playing was fun. I would have loved to be able to exchange some Rosalina knowledge! Maybe next time!

Sorry if I left anybody out. I enjoy being a part of the community and I thank everybody for accepting me into it. As awesome as it would be to win, nothing beats just getting to hang out with such cool people.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Emuser used Meta Knight, Deadlyshoc used Greninja, Ashen used Villager, G-Wolf used Falco, Bonren used Zelda and Shulk, Spark used Toon Link, Slip used Alph, Castro used Bowser Jr., Rebel used Dedede, and Taro used Zero Suit Samus.

AirFair

Marth tho
If I can make any shoutout it's to @ Nike. Nike. for whooping me at the marth ditto. I started to panic so hard I got 4 stocked game 2. Good job man.

Shaky

Smash Ace
Had a lot of fun at this guys! I will probably be making another trip to Texas soon :D

EDIT: Thank you Xyro for all your help with weekend, much appreciated :) Also shoutouts to my car which was MJG and Nicole.

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
zToast here. I mained Captain Falcon for doubles and singles.

Shout outs:

Nito - Was awesome meeting you and your brother, very good spirited in the game. Thanks for teaming up in doubles. We had literal negative synergy but it still made it hilariously fun.

Knife - Damn your link. I got stomped, my fault for not ever playing the matchup or researching it before. Knocked me into losers. I'll get you next time!

DSkro - You know bro. Sucks you got taken out early but shoot, our friendly's were fun and awesome.

Krebs - I plan on visiting to your tourneys more often. Fun stuff.

Goku - Definitely most intense matches I've ever had. Sorry I had to knock you out but we'll definitely get some more matches online.

Rebel - dat DDD doe. I've checked some of my for glory replays vs the king and I've come to the firm conclusion that I'm ******** vs him. Close matches man, I hope to get my revenge one day.

RageToast - Hail to me, king of the toasts. LOL just kidding. I think it was just fantastic that that Wii's 1000th match was a Captain Falcon mirror on Big Blue and we both did a simultaneous taunt to start the match. My favorite part of the tournament hands down. Those SD's with Fox hurt my soul but hey man, practice makes perfect. Hit me up if you ever wanna catch some games online.

Second tournament of my life to ever attend so I'm pretty happy with my performance of 2-2. I'll be screaming for the top soon. Prepare for dat Falcon doe.

-edit- Looks like BlackenedToast and I managed to place the same. This must be fixed... money match?

Last edited:

TVBlaze

Smash Rookie
Tournament was alright had some complaints about doubles, there was no way
I was paying 6.50 for a burger, and the fact that I had a 3 hour wait before playing my first match in singles. I think there definitely should have been pools for a 200+ entrant event.

I won matches with Yoshi, Captain Falcon, and Luigi

Edi used Duck Hunt and Sheik

Kid used Little Mac

NoMaine used Villager

Doubles Leaf used Pikachu and I used Yoshi

Also shout outs to getting counterpicked to wii fit studio and then making people regret it.

Theres things im sure will get fixed. Will definitely try to make it to the next one

Last edited:

RageToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
RageToast
3DS FC
5258-0053-8259
RageToast - Hail to me, king of the toasts. LOL just kidding. I think it was just fantastic that that Wii's 1000th match was a Captain Falcon mirror on Big Blue and we both did a simultaneous taunt to start the match. My favorite part of the tournament hands down. Those SD's with Fox hurt my soul but hey man, practice makes perfect. Hit me up if you ever wanna catch some games online.
yo we gotta do a falcon MM at some point when it's not hella late and I'm not super rusty and have money lol
not too salty though dude, you played great. mostly just upset with myself.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Shoutouts to Samboner for legit breaking me this weekend. Gave me a bit to think about. :applejack:
Good stuff to Mega, and sorry I screwed up so much in GFs of doubles.

A bit of organizational issues, but it still ended pretty earlier considering. If I didn't have to work the moment I got back to SA, I'd have felt soooo much better about it running late. Still, excellent work for pulling it all off Xyro/ABK. Everything was ****ing awesome. :applejack:

Last edited:

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
Owl used Link

Hotpants used rob

Owl and ju was villager and link for doubles

I had fun, but i have no idea why so many set ups went unused for so long. It was frustrating to wait 2 hours to play with set ups open like that.I think next time I go I will volunteer to help call out open setups or something. 206 people is a huge task so i can't be super mad about it but I'm not gonna make the drive down there again if the next one goes that slow.

I don't mean it to sound like a threat, but I know 6 other players that dipped because it was taking so long. Just trying to keep you guys aware of how people feel about it, which I'm sure you know given the other replies on this thread. I'm willing to help to make it smoother cause if we can work out some kinks this is the best **** on earth.

Also someone teach me how to fight sonic

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Castro used Bowser Jr.
I just noticed but xyro, you should do those ranking tables cause some people prolly want em for the smashboards rankings.

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
So here we go.

This tourney had a huge turnout. I'm really impressed by the community and everyone who put in all the effort to come. Shaky, Megafox, and even our beloved Denti all came out for this. The venue itself was REALLY well decorated and wonderfully spacious.

3. Denti x Aerolink

4. Trela - Was fun having you over, buddy

7. BC - Top 8? What is this!? Nice one though

9. Jopan - Glad to see you make it out. Wish there were setups available for friendlies so we could've played. I'll see you at the next SAM most likely then we can try some matches

17. iGGy - You should get the award for slickest son of a luma there. That hair and jacket look so slick. (No homo)

BlueBird, Gwolf, Bonren, BlueNinjaKoopa, and Taro - Always nice seeing you guys out there. We should all hang out one weekend. You guys seem like cool peeps. :p

NK - Have fun playing kirby by yourself lol

Really tho it was a fun tournament. Spending 6.50 for a xyro (poop) burger was pretty dumb. I honestly didn't want to leave in case my match was called, but I needed food to get rid of the dang headache. No outside food/drink did not help the situation either. The fact that razor paid 2.50 is so funny I died. But I guess he deserves it for never responding to my WiFi request, jerk.

Airbrush king, you did good pal. For some reason anytime you're there you always have something crazy and funny to say.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Last edited:

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
Shoutouts to TheGameKirby for driving me to TGC and babysitting me. You're the best second best!

Top Bottom