• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dojo

Smash Champion
This

Okay, I'll need an active board with active members, New MU summaries that don't date back from 2009. And also other Yoshi mains (outside of Polt and Myself IRL) giving advice to others on what to do in a certain MU's, STAT!

is not this.

I never said you couldn't go anywhere though. If you wanna get to the TOP, however, thinking you could get there without help is kinda silly.

I mean, think about it. No human practice, no advice or discussions with others, no interaction of any sort. Just you, and Level 1-9 AIs to beat up on. You don't even get Wi-Fi.
Cmon now Espy.

@Slush: I pretty much pioneered my playstyle with MK before M2K even picked him up. I didn't have people to ask, or people to steal from. Up until the past few months I had only watched about 10-20 brawl videos that weren't combo videos. That's about 2 and a half years. I'm hardly ever on the MK boards.

You have people to practice with. You have an active scene that travels occasionally. You actually have somebody amazing (Polt) repping your character. I'm sorry but get out of here with those johns. You have the resources to do it. The rest is on you.

Everybody else:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300165

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If you wanna be optimistic about it Dojo, then by all means, be. It's healthy, anyways.

I'm just saying that you cannot be a top player without interaction.
Even you have had that much, and that's really what you need to get anywhere in this game.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I don't disagree, but he has a city full of players that are decent at least. A couple of phenomenal ones in you and Kprime. He has the ability to travel with you guys. He's johning about not having matchups to read off of, people to discuss with, etc.

He has Polt, who is amazing, to discuss with. As far as matchups, he can learn how to learn them himself. This **** doesn't come easy. Just like anything else in life. You have to put in the work to be at the top.

If he wants new match-up summaries for characters, he can make them.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I never go to character boards, and don't watch tourny matches in order to learn stuff anymore. You can learn stuff, but you can learn the player's bad habits too. Its best to develop a style your comfortable with rather than copy someone elses.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I agree with you for the most part Dojo, but a few things I wanna touch up on:

I don't disagree, but he has a city full of players that are decent at least. A couple of phenomenal ones in you and Kprime. He has the ability to travel with you guys. He's johning about not having matchups to read off of, people to discuss with, etc.
Right on his resources, wrong on his location. Although we claim Slush in our little family here in San Antonio, he actually lives a good hour away from San Antonio's Smash Scene. He's also only 16 going on 17. He can't be going back and forth from his city to San Antonio when he needs to. He lacks the ability to travel consistently, which is why he struggles to interact with others outside of that ability.

Of course, Yoshi Boards apathy doesn't help that at all.

He has Polt, who is amazing, to discuss with. As far as matchups, he can learn how to learn them himself. This **** doesn't come easy. Just like anything else in life. You have to put in the work to be at the top.

Agreed.

@Ozz: But you watched to learn at one point or another.
It's that "oomph" I'm talking about.

And true on the "your own style" part, however, I tend to think this way when I pick up a new character:

"First emulate, then experiment."

In order to build a strong character that reflects your knowledge, experience, and skill, you need a strong foundation, otherwise it's risky from the start. Temporarily emulating another player is a great foundation.

Of course, you will need to eventually build upon that with your own touches so as to create your own style of play. It's just the way it is, I suppose.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
My pessimism helps me hope for the best while preparing me for the worst.
It's the most profitable way of life that I've ever experienced.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I will admit i'm johning about not having the courage to ask my own community for help.

Nothing rude against Polt, but he's a Basic Yoshi but a smart one at that and gets the job done by getting high placements in most of his tournaments. Of course though.. his playstyle is what gets most of the other Yoshi mains bashing on him while me it's my techskill but inability of being careful or not knowing how to handle the MU.
Apparently whoever Polt has beaten is just terrible for running into obvious stuff.
For Example his MM vs Anti, that apparently set off A huge fuse in our Skype chat.

I was planning to make them. In our MU thread I asked who'd make them, Yink thought of doing it I believe, but she's no longer our Mod. Z zgashi said he'd do it and hasn't. But what i'm afraid of is getting nothing discussed if I was to make them.

I never go to character boards, and don't watch tourny matches in order to learn stuff anymore. You can learn stuff, but you can also learn the player's bad habits too. Its best to develop a style your comfortable with rather than copy someone elses.
I only visit the Yoshi boards, Can't watch videos/Tourney matches so i'm in the clear for that. I already learned most Techs for Yoshi and little tricks Yoshi has for example on PS1/2 where he can do some pretty fun things on the rock transformation on both stages.
For playstyle, I don't I really have one outside of being Aggro.

Dojo

Smash Champion
@Slush:

You don't actually have to make mu charts to be discussed. You experiment and learn what works and doesn't work for yourself. In every scenario. It's hard, but possible. Also I'm a mostly aggressive player as well, but if you don't learn to play a camp style, you won't ever move up.

Just sayin'

@Zac

No Whobo?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Nah it's cool Espy, I'm just giving them a hard time cause they impatient and what not.

Doj, I barely got my hands on Nikefest 3. I haven't received the Whobo 3 tio file yet.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
holy crap, I went up 31 points with just We Hate Grown Ups 4, lol.

K Prime - skyrocketed, what happened there?

Is Whobo 3 going to be influenced in this?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Points are delicate.

If I perform a namechange, that means that back during Hobo 28 when you play PantyRaider you were up against a 1600 player. After changing his name to the correct "Panty Raider" he was calculated as a 1570 player. It was an old tournament yet it shifted around points for everyone cause of a simple wrong name. (this was a hypothetical example btw)

Make sense?

z00ted

Zac is Whobo 3 going to be in this?

What kind of player qualifies as someone who isn't ranked as 1600?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Zac is Whobo 3 going to be in this?

What kind of player qualifies as someone who isn't ranked as 1600?
If I told you I had a way to ensure that the points traded with OoS players was accurate for Whobo 3 would you believe me? If so, then that's all you need to worry about.

Trela

Smash Lord
Slush is in the same perdicament that I've always been in.

He just has to make the most out of what he's got, at the moment!

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I... stayed in the exact same spot I was in previously.

Well, my performance over the past month has been extremely inconsistent (from placing top 3 in Pik-A-Nik to getting 17th in Nikefest), so I shouldn't be complaining. I'm actually surprised I didn't move down.

z00ted

If I told you I had a way to ensure that the points traded with OoS players was accurate for Whobo 3 would you believe me? If so, then that's all you need to worry about.
oh dang.

hype.

megaFoX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
megafox112

Paw

Smash Ace
NNID
pawzor
so like...i made it into bracket just to lose points? that kinda sucks, but it's okay. i should just start winning lol.

z00ted

Will pools for WHobo 3 count Zac?

I specifically remember both you and Xyro reminding us not to throw any games away because it would count towards the PR.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I don't recall saying that...

If Xyro made it 100% clear that pools were counting at whobo 3, and everybody knew this, then it might be possible for me to include those results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom