• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Takamaru in Brawl Thread! *ADDED MORE MATERIAL*

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Takamaru wouldn't be very limited, especially if all of his moves were sword-based (samurai style). Giving him a moveset based on traditional samurai style would be very easy (think Rurouni Kenshin), while with Little Mac, the only thing you got to work with is different types of punches and whatnot, making him work would be like making a chicken work in Smash (being limited to doing one thing: peck).
I said based SOLELY on the gameplay, not on inherit potential, in which case you give the art of boxing FAR too little credit... There was A LOT they could have done with Mac, trust me...
Kunai weren't really thrown. Some of his techniques are from ninja myths such as turning invisible, walking on water and using magic
Well, Takamaru sure trows them in the game... :p

And the mythical abilities you listed aren't just limited to ninjas... Besides, samurai > ninja...

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
I said based SOLELY on the gameplay, not on inherit potential, in which case you give the art of boxing FAR too little credit... There was A LOT they could have done with Mac, trust me...
Yeah, kinda sucks Little Mac didn't make the cut...

Little Mac
owns
all

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
And trust me, if Little Mac was fighting in Smash, the whole point in his boxing motif wouldn't even work. Smash is a game that requires characters the ability to easily jump, fly, glide around to fight, Little Mac fights through boxing which requires him to be steading on his feet and constantly dodging and attack ON the ground.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Boring for Smash, yes I think so. Who would you rather be the samurai in Brawl? Samurai Goroh, a fat samurai who's just some generic rival of Captain Falcon, or Takamaru, who's an ACTUAL samurai from a retro game?
...Samurai Goroh IS an actual Samurai. A criminal samurai in the future who races at speeds of at LEAST 400 km/hr, who's "fat" is muscle that contributes to his raids with his fellow thieves and rival the only Captain Douglas J. Falcon.

Personally, I think either/or would be awesome.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I said based SOLELY on the gameplay, not on inherit potential, in which case you give the art of boxing FAR too little credit... There was A LOT they could have done with Mac, trust me...Well, Takamaru sure trows them in the game... :p

And the mythical abilities you listed aren't just limited to ninjas... Besides, samurai > ninja...
Samurai sure didn't have those abilities though, they were known in Ninja mythology because it was the myths that brought about the fear of Ninja's...and that was there thing

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
And trust me, if Little Mac was fighting in Smash, the whole point in his boxing motif wouldn't even work. Smash is a game that requires characters the ability to easily jump, fly, glide around to fight, Little Mac fights through boxing which requires him to be steading on his feet and constantly dodging and attack ON the ground.
Hey, if they could get the Ice Climbers to work, where their only ability prior Melee was clubbing baby seals, there is NO reason whatsoever that they couldn't pull off Mac.
Samurai sure didn't have those abilities though, they were known in Ninja mythology because it was the myths that brought about the fear of Ninja's...and that was there thing
Yes the Ninja are more renowned for such mythical abilities, but Samurai have been known to have them as well every now and then... Multi-profession, I guess...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
not generally though. most people will see them as ninja abilities. even I do.
Ah well... I'm no expert on the matter anyway... But even if he makes use of a few ninjitsu abilities (activated via various items), Takamaru is still a samurai at heart. After all, being Link's Edo Era Japan counterpart, he had to have some magick tricks up his sleeve...

parrothead

Smash Lord
Takamaru wouldn't be very limited, especially if all of his moves were sword-based (samurai style). Giving him a moveset based on traditional samurai style would be very easy (think Rurouni Kenshin), while with Little Mac, the only thing you got to work with is different types of punches and whatnot, making him work would be like making a chicken work in Smash (being limited to doing one thing: peck).
Takamaru doesn't just use a katana and shurikens. He also throws fire, becomes invisible and summons a lighting blast.

But there is another thing Mac lacks: grabbing while throwing, which is against the boxing rules. The protagonist of the SNES Super Punch-Out!! has more potential.

Chickens not only can peck, but they also can use their spurs to flog anyone. I got flogged by a rooster, and it kinda hurts. It even created a hole in one part of my right shoe.

Yeah, kinda sucks Little Mac didn't make the cut...

Little Mac
owns
all
However, one thing he lacks is grabbing while throwing, which is against the boxing rules.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
Is Takamaru a man?! It's hard to believe. I would expect them to choose more female characters. I doubt he will make it to the game.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Originally Posted by drengist
Is Takamaru a man?! It's hard to believe. I would expect them to choose more female characters. I doubt he will make it to the game.
by this logic, Jill shouldve been playable but she's an AT.

they shouldnt add characters for biased/sexist reasons...they should add them because they are capable....yes, they most likely will choose female characters but it doesnt mean that they'll just pull random girls all over the Nintendo universe.....

Toadette for Brawl?
Anju for Brawl?
The Helpless Maidens from the same game Takamaru is from for Brawl?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Takamaru and Sukapon are the only characters that are left that can hold it down for us retrophiles. Regardless of popular opinion, I still assert that Takamaru would make a PERFECT addition to Brawl. Fingers crossed! :grin:

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
I dislike the idea of kunais for a samurai but like walking on water. Yeah hes still a samurai at heart, I'll just fight w/o his ninja attacks then.
I agree. A samuari having Ninja abilites is just stupid IMO. I hope they make him into a traditional samurai (if hes in).

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
It is silly that people bash against Takamaru just because he was not released outside of Japan, he does deserve to be in the game.

T-major

Smash Champion
It is silly that people bash against Takamaru just because he was not released outside of Japan, he does deserve to be in the game.
I know; I mean, his game is way old, and things were different back then when it came to what games Japan brought to the U.S. I'm 100% sure that if he had a new game now, it would be released internationally, then people would have no reason to complain. that's one of the main reason I support retro characters; because it helps give their series another chance. Takamaru is one of those characters that I think would be accepted quite well in the states.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
having Ninja abilities is part of what makes Takamaru unique; if they got rid of thoses it would be a like kicking originality in the balls...
IMO being a regular samurai is original enough.
Shiek is pretty much a ninja anyway.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Takamaru and Sukapon are the only characters that are left that can hold it down for us retrophiles. Regardless of popular opinion, I still assert that Takamaru would make a PERFECT addition to Brawl. Fingers crossed! :grin:
Why? Even if they're retro in Japan, they're not retro to the rest of us - they still qualify as Japan-only characters, of which Sakurai said that he wasn't going to go overboard with. Keep in mind that as Japan-only characters, they also have the likes of Stafy and DeMille to contend with. And I don't think they have that significant an edge over international retro chars such as Balloon Fighter or Mach Rider.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Why? Even if they're retro in Japan, they're not retro to the rest of us - they still qualify as Japan-only characters, of which Sakurai said that he wasn't going to go overboard with. Keep in mind that as Japan-only characters, they also have the likes of Stafy and DeMille to contend with. And I don't think they have that significant an edge over international retro chars such as Balloon Fighter or Mach Rider.
Stafy isn't mentioned and apparantly there is some kind of problem that makes Demille or whatever his name is unlikely, and even still Takamaru was the most popular japan-only character and usually he doesn't ignore the most wanted characters.
And regardless, this is a game about Nintendo history, he played a big role. Just because he didn't make an appearance in a country thats residence thinks it's the center of attention means nothing. He is japan-only? So what, get over it. Lucas prooves that if your popular enough in japan, you get in regardless. This game is not being made in the US.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Just because he didn't make an appearance in a country thats residence thinks it's the center of attention means nothing
I hate that about the US.....:ohwell: [says a person who lives there]

and the same can be said for someone like I dunno....Mike Jones for example, Deathborne...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Stafy isn't mentioned and apparantly there is some kind of problem that makes Demille or whatever his name is unlikely, and even still Takamaru was the most popular japan-only character and usually he doesn't ignore the most wanted characters.
And regardless, this is a game about Nintendo history, he played a big role. Just because he didn't make an appearance in a country thats residence thinks it's the center of attention means nothing. He is japan-only? So what, get over it. Lucas prooves that if your popular enough in japan, you get in regardless. This game is not being made in the US.
The title MOTHER 3 may not currently be planned for release outside of Japan, but the MOTHER franchise itself has achieved international status thanks to Earthbound (MOTHER 2) - That in itself would increase external familiarity with the title by a considerable margin. The Nazo no Murasame-jou franchise however is 100% Japan-only, so I really wouldn't compare Takamaru with a character like Lucas as the circumstances pertaining to each character are considerably different. And as far as the game being important to Nintendo history and the character being the most popular domestic character in Japan? Now you're just being biased. Sure the game has a certain degree of importance, but nowhere to the degree of what you seem to suggest. And trust me, additional MOTHER 3 characters, various Fire Emblem lords, and Stafy (even if he wasn't mentioned in the Toukouken, neither was Sonic... :0 ) got him beat considerably as far as domestic popularity goes. Sure he has a shot, but he's by no means a shoe-in...

Now I have nothing against the character, as I would actually like for Takamaru to be included on the roster as well - I'm just being realistic here...
I hate that about the US.....:ohwell: [says a person who lives there]

and the same can be said for someone like I dunno....Mike Jones for example, Deathborne...
Even so, we're the ones (and PAL regions to a much greater extent) that get snubbed in these matters (Little Mac, anyone?), NOT Japan.

And I don't recall denying that fact, ZenJestr...

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
The title MOTHER 3 may not currently be planned for release outside of Japan, but the MOTHER franchise itself has achieved international status thanks to Earthbound (MOTHER 2) - That in itself would increase external familiarity with the title by a considerable margin. The Nazo no Murasame-jou franchise however is 100% Japan-only, so I really wouldn't compare Takamaru with a character like Lucas as the circumstances pertaining to each character are considerably different. And as far as the game being important to Nintendo history and the character being the most popular domestic character in Japan? Now you're just being biased. Sure the game has a certain degree of importance, but nowhere to the degree of what you seem to suggest. And trust me, additional MOTHER 3 characters, various Fire Emblem lords, and Stafy (even if he wasn't mentioned in the Toukouken, neither was Sonic... :0 ) got him beat considerably as far as domestic popularity goes. Sure he has a shot, but he's by no means a shoe-in...

Now I have nothing against the character, as I would actually like for Takamaru to be included on the roster as well - I'm just being realistic here...Even so, we're the ones (and PAL regions to a much greater extent) that get snubbed in these matters (Little Mac, anyone?), NOT Japan.

And I don't recall denying that fact, ZenJestr...
It doesn't matter Lucas in generally is a Japan only character, who may even replace Ness altogether, and need I remind you this a fan-service game as long as you receive some high status, you are going to be in, Ike, Diddy, Krystal, Dedede are clear examples of this. He's not gonna skip over a wanted character because of a japan-only status. It's foolish to even think that. He even assisted a Falcon rep and a popular FE rep because it. Sonic=/=Stafy, Sonic is a high requested guest character. And this game is being made in JAPAN! Good god, I don't know how many times I've said that

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
It doesn't matter Lucas in generally is a Japan only character, who may even replace Ness altogether, and need I remind you this a fan-service game as long as you receive some high status, you are going to be in, Ike, Diddy, Krystal, Dedede are clear examples of this. He's not gonna skip over a wanted character because of a japan-only status. It's foolish to even think that. He even assisted a Falcon rep and a popular FE rep because it. Sonic=/=Stafy, Sonic is a high requested guest character. And this game is being made in JAPAN! Good god, I don't know how many times I've said that
I don't recall stating that he was going to be looked over on account of him being a Japan-only character, but he has OTHER Japan-only characters to contend with - and Sakurai HIMSELF said that he wasn't planning on including a significant number of such characters on account of Brawl being a worldwide release; we can realistically expect maybe 1 - 2 Japan-only franchises to receive a playable character, with characters from partially international franchises such as Fire Emblem and MOTHER being fair game. And it doesn't matter wherethe game is made so much as for whom it is being made for - that is the WORLDWIDE Nintendo audience. Perhaps that fact hasn't occured to you yet... And I am by no means knocking Takamaru, but he is by no means a definite inclusion like you seem to think he is - that's all I'm trying to get across.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
You don't contend with characters that are not as popular, the suggestions for Brawl and the polls proove this. The thing about Takamaru is that he is wanted enough to be considered for the game, if he gets in the game Sakurai has stated the he has playable potential.

Yeah, I know the game is being sold world-wide, I don't recall party balls being used culturally world-wide, I don't recall onigiri being a common meal across the world, I don't remember there being Japanese lyrics in the Fire Emblem theme in other countries...

Come on, give it a rest already.

I guess all I can really say is that at least he listened to the little mac suggestion and he also made it into playable consideration, but he just didn't have enough attacks, all he can realstically do in the game is punch as he is a boxer. And if that's not enough I guess that all I can say then is that life isn't fair and this is one of those times where one needs to deal with it. They are doing us the favor just by releasing the game worldwide.

parrothead

Smash Lord
A high number of requests doesn't always mean that character will truly enter, but they are still very good. Skapon was the most-requested SSBM character, but Sakurai didn't want to add him for some reason. Geno was one of the most-requested characters, but what decreases his chances are:

• SSBB has enough Mario characters. Mario, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario. Even though, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario are more than Mario characters, they still count as Mario characters.
  • If Geno was added, SSBB wouldn't look good enough without adding Mallow alongside Geno.

AND

• Geno is 3RD-Party. Even though, he appeared in M&L: SS, his cameo appearance in that GBA title was made because Chihiro Fujioka was responsible for Super Mario RPG and the M&L titles, as well as Final Fantasy Legend III (known as Sa•Ga 3 in Japan), the Hamtaro Game Boy titles, Koto Battle (AlphaDream's first title), and Tomato Adventure. Geno's cameo appearance in tha GBA title is just like Pulseman's references in the Pokemon titles and Drill Dozer, as well as his Volteccer (a.k.a. Volt Tackle) being used by Pikachu as his Final Smash.

You Geno supporters can offend me by saying things like "That's bull$#!+" or by posting a SSBB screenshot showing Geno in SSBB while adding text that reads "Geno said you failed!", "You got motherfkucin 0wn3d!", "You are the largest lonesome loser!" or whatever you prefer to say to me if you want, but that doesn't bother me very much and I'm just predicting. Geno is okay in my opinion, and I'm not a Geno fan nor an anti-Geno person.

If Chihiro Fujioka, Square-Enix and Masahiro Sakurai can't add Geno into SSBB, then they might go with DeMille instead, because he is another good character from a Chihiro Fujioka title. Even though he is Japan-Only, he and Tomato Adventure are probably almost as popular as MOTHER 3 in Japan. His two requests have many words, including some info on how DeMille should fight in SSBB, like using Tomato Robo Mk II as his Final Smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A high number of requests doesn't always mean that character will truly enter, but they are still very good. Skapon was the most-requested SSBM character, but Sakurai didn't want to add him for some reason. Geno was one of the most-requested characters, but what decreases his chances are:

• SSBB has enough Mario characters. Mario, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario. Even though, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario are more than Mario characters, they still count as Mario characters.
  • If Geno was added, SSBB wouldn't look good enough without adding Mallow alongside Geno.

AND

• Geno is 3RD-Party. Even though, he appeared in M&L: SS, his cameo appearance in that GBA title was made because Chihiro Fujioka was responsible for Super Mario RPG and the M&L titles, as well as Final Fantasy Legend III (known as Sa•Ga 3 in Japan), the Hamtaro Game Boy titles, Koto Battle (AlphaDream's first title), and Tomato Adventure. Geno's cameo appearance in tha GBA title is just like Pulseman's references in the Pokemon titles and Drill Dozer, as well as his Volteccer (a.k.a. Volt Tackle) being used by Pikachu as his Final Smash.

You Geno supporters can offend me by saying things like "That's bull$#!+" or by posting a SSBB screenshot showing Geno in SSBB while adding text that reads "Geno said you failed!", "You got motherfkucin 0wn3d!", "You are the largest lonesome loser!" or whatever you prefer to say to me if you want, but that doesn't bother me very much and I'm just predicting. Geno is okay in my opinion, and I'm not a Geno fan nor an anti-Geno person.

If Chihiro Fujioka, Square-Enix and Masahiro Sakurai can't add Geno into SSBB, then they might go with DeMille instead, because he is another good character from a Chihiro Fujioka title. Even though he is Japan-Only, he and Tomato Adventure are probably almost as popular as MOTHER 3 in Japan. His two requests have many words, including some info on how DeMille should fight in SSBB, like using Tomato Robo Mk II as his Final Smash.
You really have no idea how much the Geno fans have been and still are serious about supporting Geno...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
[*]SSBB has enough Mario characters. Yoshi

Donkey Kong

and Wario.

So far we have three characters, Mario, Peach, and Bowser.

Even though, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario are more than Mario characters, they still count as Mario characters.
But they are representing their individual spin-off franchises. NOT the Super Mario franchise. what's stopping Geno from getting a SMRPG symbol anyway? That game is a spinoff as well.

Anyway, this is the Takamaru thread, let's focus on the issue at hand.

Taka for Brawl :D

Top Bottom