• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Takamaru in Brawl Thread! *ADDED MORE MATERIAL*

Hong

The Strongest
I don't understand why everyone wants this character in the game... Umm what can he do that other samurai can't?
  • Walk on water
  • Deflect projectiles using his katana with 100% consistancy
  • Shoot Fire
  • As well as lightning (It destroyed all enemies on screen)
  • Throw shurikens with amazing accuracy
    And more~
Oh, and the Nazo no MurasameJou theme is really catchy. D:

That and Takamaru just has an authentic retro feel to him.

T-major

Smash Champion
Umm what can he do that other samurai can't?
Walk on water, throw Kunai/fireballs/cresent blades, turn invisible, kill people with lightning, satisfy women like no other man can, be awesome, pwn n00bs, grow giant watermelons, scratch his back in that spot thats always out of reach, pwn satisfied women with giant watermelons that he grew... just for some examples...

all the stuff after the lightning is just for lulz. the other stuff he can do

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* I hate it when noobs don't bother to do research before coming in character threads to hate on them.

T-major

Smash Champion
Divide by zero.
Fu*king win!!

Takamaru was mentioned three times on the poll (same amount as Krystal, who people seem to label as a shoe in); that means that gamers, AND sakurai are both interested in him. and seeing as his only real competition (Samurai Goroh and Lyn) are out of the way, he's that much more likely! Sakurai also said that he played Nazo no Murasame jou (Takamaru's game) for move set ideas, and that Murasame was a game that he would love to be revived! face it, he'll be in the game.

T-major

Smash Champion
is it a sad thing that I dressed up as takamaru for halloween? >_>.....
pics plz!?

I was going to be him too, actually, but I didn't have the material for the costume... or the long hair (I refuse to wear wigs)... next year for sure! then I'll have the Brawl look to base it on!

tirkaro

Smash Champion
pics plz!?

I was going to be him too, actually, but I didn't have the material for the costume... or the long hair (I refuse to wear wigs)... next year for sure! then I'll have the Brawl look to base it on!
sorry, didn't get any pics :(
but the costume was surprisingly easy to make. I just took one of my mom's bathrobe's, tucked half of it in my pants, cut open one of my old red T-shirts, wore it over the bathrobe, got my old taekwondo pants, and got a cheap, 3$ plastic katana at a party store (but it was labeled as "ninja sword." WTF!?), and ta-da. I was pretty much takamaru, minus long black hair. It was acually kinda funny going out with it. this was a conversation I had with one of my friends:

friend: who are you supposed to be?
me: takamaru
friend:.....who the hell is that?
me: the guy from nazo no murasame joh.
friend:......and...... what's that supposed to be?
me: a game for the famicom disk system.
friend: whats that?
me: the japanese version of the NES
me: the 8-bit nintendo console from the 80's
friend: you know what, you wanna just go trick or treating?

I love confusing people :p

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
is it a sad thing that I dressed up as takamaru for halloween? >_>.....
That is AMAZING! Kudos to you for having the skillz to pull it off. Shame that you didn't get any pictures, though. If you ever decide to don the costume again, though, feel free to show us your hard work!

(Tangent: I was going to go as Godot, but I couldn't pull off a costume in time. Maybe next year...)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
PLEASE tell me you got pictures. That could be the best thing EVER. :laugh:
Sorry guys, I got pictures taken at school, but with a disposable camera that I had to give to school to develop (Long story, but two years ago, something embarrassing happened to a student during a costume contest [I don't know what, I wasn't there], and someone posted it on myspace and he got got mad, so we can't take pictures with digital cameras, AND school have to approve the photos before they give them back). I dunno how long it's gonna take. I don't have a scanner anyway. I'll use it again at Fanime 2008, along with my Cactuar costume :grin:

Anyway, a Takamaru costume, I can only imagine how badass that looks

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
but the costume was surprisingly easy to make. I just took one of my mom's bathrobe's, tucked half of it in my pants, cut open one of my old red T-shirts, wore it over the bathrobe, got my old taekwondo pants, and got a cheap, 3$ plastic katana at a party store (but it was labeled as "ninja sword." WTF!?), and ta-da. I was pretty much takamaru, minus long black hair. It was acually kinda funny going out with it. this was a conversation I had with one of my friends:

It is quite fun when you know something like that that no one else does...
thing is is that practical gaming knowledge is what I get people confused with...
I think I live in a video gamerless community.

also takamaru and CF costumes FTW!!!

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion

He/she didn't know what an NES was?! Anyway, that was a really funny conversation!

I dressed up as a VG charactr, too, but I dressed up as Ness, and some people actually recognized me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What is with people's hate for Japanese characters...

parrothead

Smash Lord

The Famicom Disk System isn't exactly the Japanese version of the NES. The Famicom Disk System is actually the add-on for the Japanese verison of the NES known simply as the Famicom (or Family Computer).

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
Racism, misunderstanding, jealousy of not being able to actually PLAY the Japanese games, etc.
People just don't want to try anything new. They just want to stay in their safe spot. They're afraid to venture out of the borders of their country.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
People just don't want to try anything new. They just want to stay in their safe spot. They're afraid to venture out of the borders of their country.
That's odd... I'm usually like that for all sorts of things, but when we're talking about Japanese exclusive stuff I get all excited!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Racism, misunderstanding, jealousy of not being able to actually PLAY the Japanese games, etc.
I don't think the first point is all that relevant - and if anyone's prejudiced in this particular matter, trust me, it's the Japanese... After all, it's because they withheld these titles from international release in the first place that they've acquired their status of near total obscurity outside of their domestic markets. Sure many weren't very compatible with audiences outside of the Japanese cultural sphere - which is completely understandable, but many were withheld due to the fact that they were deemed 'to difficult' for us lowly Western gamers, other times because they were predetermined to be unprofitable. Therein lies a good deal of the resentment, plus the fact that they worry that many of their familiar gaming icons, such as Little Mac, get snubbed only for the Japanese to receive several that are familiar only to them. It's not so much a case of averting a new experience than it is perceiving being out of favor to an already disproportionately catered to minority. That, I believe, pretty much sums up that general sentiment in that regard.

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the first point is all that relevant - and if anyone's prejudiced in this particular matter, trust me, it's the Japanese... After all, it's because they withheld these titles from international release in the first place that they've acquired their status of near total obscurity outside of their domestic markets. Sure many weren't very compatible with audiences outside of the Japanese cultural sphere - which is completely understandable, but many were withheld due to the fact that they were deemed 'to difficult' for us lowly Western gamers, other times because they were predetermined to be unprofitable. Therein lies a good deal of the resentment, plus the fact that they worry that many of their familiar gaming icons, such as Little Mac, get snubbed only for the Japanese to receive several that are familiar only to them. It's not so much a case of averting a new experience than it is perceiving being out of favor to an already disproportionately catered to minority. That, I believe, pretty much sums up that general sentiment in that regard.
This is all so stupid. A video game character is a VIDEO GAME CHARACTER!!! It shouldn't matter of the character's origin. JUST THE CHARACTER him/herself matters!

Also if he/she would be a fun character to use and Takamaru= fun character!

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Well thank god a Japanese man is working on Brawl, because if there wasn't, Brawl would have a ****fest of characters like Lyn, Samurai Goroh, Little Mac, and Deoxys that are very tasteless and boring choices.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
This is all so stupid. A video game character is a VIDEO GAME CHARACTER!!! It shouldn't matter of the character's origin. JUST THE CHARACTER him/herself matters!

Also if he/she would be a fun character to use and Takamaru= fun character!
Just providing an explanation for the general resentment dude... Don't hate the messenger... But you have to admit there is a question of fairness involved here. In fact, Sakurai himself said that he wasn't planning on including too many Japanese exclusive characters for that very reason. Keep in mind that Super Smash Bros. Brawl is being made for a worldwide audience, not solely for the Japanese...
Well thank god a Japanese man is working on Brawl, because if there wasn't, Brawl would have a ****fest of characters like Lyn, Samurai Goroh, Little Mac, and Deoxys that are very tasteless and boring choices.
Don't you DARE diss Little Mac dude... Punch-Out!! is 10x the game Nazo no Murasame-jou (even though it's a good game) is... :mad:

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
Just providing an explanation for the general resentment dude... Don't hate the messenger... But you have to admit there is a question of fairness involved here. In fact, Sakurai himself said that he wasn't planning on including too many Japanese exclusive characters for that very reason. Keep in mind that Super Smash Bros. Brawl is being made for a worldwide audience, not solely for the Japanese...
Don't you DARE diss Little Mac dude... Punch-Out!! is 10x the game Nazo no Murasame-jou (even though it's a good game) is... :mad:
I wasn't necessarily trying to get on YOUR case. Just the whole argument in general.

T-major

Smash Champion
really, I think Samurai Goroh is an awesome character. you don't see many fat, hover car racing, samurai criminals these days... not boring at all, very original.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
really, I think Samurai Goroh is an awesome character. you don't see many fat, hover car racing, samurai criminals these days... not boring at all, very original.
Boring for Smash, yes I think so. Who would you rather be the samurai in Brawl? Samurai Goroh, a fat samurai who's just some generic rival of Captain Falcon, or Takamaru, who's an ACTUAL samurai from a retro game?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Of course it is, but he'd still be a ****ty character.
If you had actually PLAYED Nazo no Murasame-jou, you'd realize that Takamaru would be a somewhat limited character himself, albeit admittedly not to quite such an extent, going by the actual gameplay alone... (despite being similar to the original Legend of Zelda, Nazo is nowhere as deep...) there are other game elements in both cases that could be implemented into their movesets, such as the abilities of opponents.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If you had actually PLAYED Nazo no Murasame-jou, you'd realize that Takamaru would be a somewhat limited character himself, albeit admittedly not to quite such an extent, going by the actual gameplay alone... (despite being similar to the original Legend of Zelda, Nazo is nowhere as deep...) there are other game elements in both cases that could be implemented into their movesets, such as the abilities of opponents.
He's a hybrid Ninja-Samurai...

I'm sure they could come up with tons of moves for him

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Takamaru wouldn't be very limited, especially if all of his moves were sword-based (samurai style). Giving him a moveset based on traditional samurai style would be very easy (think Rurouni Kenshin), while with Little Mac, the only thing you got to work with is different types of punches and whatnot, making him work would be like making a chicken work in Smash (being limited to doing one thing: peck).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Where does the ninja half of the equation come into play? Samurai made use of kunais as well and have just as fabled an arsenal at their disposal as well...
Kunai weren't really thrown. Some of his techniques are from ninja myths such as turning invisible, walking on water and using magic

Top Bottom