• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official OFFICIAL SUPER-WAVEDASH DISCUSSION! Please Read and Post Here!

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
I can only do it in training on super slow but it feels so good when i pull it off

Joker

Smash Ace
Although thats not particularly true you may wanna rephrase it to sound like : If you cant do it at a somewhat consistant rate , its better not attemped during battle:cool:

Man Im cool lol j/k

Anyway should i repost the link to my Short Swd vid again???

AIDS

Smash Lord
super wave dashing you should tend to get a feel for aswell i might add its so hard to do it consistantly at first but keep practising and the timing will be an instinct

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
I have a question, I was watching Mikenasty's video and he used the Bombslide, (I like Bombslide better than SWD), and I noticed that he is always behind the bomb when it explodes. So does that mean that in order to, say, bombslide right, you have to go behind the bomb (left) and then press right? Like, does the placement of the bomb to Samus matter?

Bahamut27

Smash Apprentice
I have a question, I was watching Mikenasty's video and he used the Bombslide, (I like Bombslide better than SWD), and I noticed that he is always behind the bomb when it explodes. So does that mean that in order to, say, bombslide right, you have to go behind the bomb (left) and then press right? Like, does the placement of the bomb to Samus matter?
Are you crazy, bombslide better of SWD!!!;)

Hey you need watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYI1Ge0myxo

Joker

Smash Ace
To answer any questions regarding this tech. the Swd, go back to like page 5 or 6 and read my long post, or read someone's guides on this topic so as to put an end to these questions ^.^

Lmao @ post above.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
No, he is doing the easy(alright I'll use your terminology) bombslide. There are two different ways to do it, but it remains constant that you must be pressing one direction the instant before you touch the ground, and the opposite direction the exact moment after landing. Whatever way you want to do it is fine, it sounds like he is simply holding the opposite direction, so that way he already has one direction covered. Sooner or later, everyone should learn the standing bombslide, which is flicking the two directions before you touch. If done this way, your opponent doesn't know what direction you are going to go.

Then, there are crazy SOBs like Phanna who will DI to the right, then hit the ground and bombslide to the right. Very quick fingers.

AIDS

Smash Lord
also once u start using super wave dash u will get a feel for the timing and u wont need to focus so much to do it anymore, but i notice its odd when u get a new controller

Joker

Smash Ace
Not just a new controller can alter your performance, but also a different Tv than your used to doing it on, and not just from big screens, for example if your used to playing on a regular 27 inch or what ever a large screen will most likely throw your consistency off but also going to a smaller screen can also throw you off too.
Not to say you wont beable to swd on these screens, but dont be surprised when you may not be able to perform the swd as much as you may be able to.
Btw...my zune kicks azz:p just thought i should share that wit' you guys :psycho:

Joker

Smash Ace
If i could ever start to care about smash again maybe i could break my old on tape record of 10.
what you guys think:p

Rhyme

Smash Lord
If i could ever start to care about smash again maybe i could break my old on tape record of 10.
what you guys think:p
Yes! Start playing again, your Samus was good. This thread has almost died, with an exception for that one post, this thread hadn't seen any action since Christmas. Only still open to help SWD beginners.:ohwell:

Corigames

Smash Hero
I got a question, who named it Super Wave Dash? I thought we would have named a little more Metroid-ish. I think we could have named it the Shinespark from where you get the speed booster in the 2D Metroid games.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
corygames, it's got something to do with the person who discovered it. Might have been SDM, I'm not entirely sure. But what I can say with some certainty is that the founder was more into Smash than Metroid and decided it looked like a big wavedash. That's the end of the portion where I pretend to know what I'm talking about.:)

Darr06

Smash Cadet
but it would have been cool if it would have more of a metroid name 2, but swd is fitting

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
Coreygames: No.

On topic, I'm pretty **** good at this, now. I can typically use it whenever I like at this point, which is really fun.

Elen

Smash Lord
At this point I dont think it's possible to change the name. I don't actually find SWD-ing all that useful, but it's an awesome way to taunt after a combo. I suppose there are a few practical uses for it but I just don't bother.

Corigames

Smash Hero
On my tiny, insignificant sub-subject: Like I said Crotch, I'll just call it that. I'm not forcing evering one to follow me like the only living human to hord of Zombies.

On the main subject of Shinesparking: I can do it about 50% of the time now (...on the TV that I'm use to. It has a bit of lag, so it screws me up when I play on a regular tv.)

comoesa

Smash Cadet
lol this incrredibly easy justv did agains my brother,..

before youb hit the ground go left fright as many times as possible

Joker

Smash Ace
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Its either or my man.
You can tap Left, then right.
Or the reverse.
Seeing as tho thats the direction you noted, thats probably your better choice.
And its also not exactly "as many times as possible:) "
If you want somewhat better control over its usage , you should try timing it so that you only have to push 2 directions, but everyone has a way that works best for them, just seems that the one you noted seems more of chance , than being on point with frames 41 and 42. ( I dont use the frame work, i just go by the look of the action :p)
Just wanted to put that out there for ya ;)

p.e.

Smash Rookie
As far as I'm concerned, this move is just really fun to pull off when playing with friends.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
Normally what I use it for is to fly. Basically you have to ASSUME that your samus is going to SWD and mash the jump button in frames 43-46. Most of the time I just NAIR it and so samus basically flies across the screen in her sex kick position.

It comes in handy with recovering opponents who are higher up and won't be Up+Bing back on the stage, such as in FD.

I wish I had the video equipment to show it and it doesn't happen often with me--im only about 60% on the SWD anyway.

moogle

Smash Ace
I think almost everyone here is unaware of this, but did you know that in Jigglypuff can sorta SWD in SSB64?
http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Teleport_(SSB)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R7yJnCxoERk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4gH4z7gRpLY

From smashwiki:
"The teleport is performed by first starting the normal dash (as opposed to the initial dash), smashing the control stick in the opposite direction, and jumping three frames afterwards."

What I ask of you Samus experts: do you think this SSB64 Jiggly teleport is fundamentally the same glitch as SSBM Samus's SWD? Yes, I know the procedure for doing the glitch is different, but they both have a similar result (your character slides an oddly long distance), and both glitches seem to be manipulating your character's turnaround animation. Another thing to add is that SSB64 characters have much more traction than SSBM characters, which could explain why Jiggly's teleport is much shorter than Samus's SWD.

Am I trying to find a connection where there is none? Or am I on to something? :grin:

Aftermath

Smash Champion
The Samus SWD isn't a turnaround glitch but one from going out of morph ball, which has lower traction than usual. Nigzel broke down exactly how it works in a thread of his, but here's the important part.

Nigzel said:
Simple as this; when in morph ball mode you will be able slide a little there, and a little there. Those slides have the same speed as the SWD (speed, not distance in any way). So, while sliding forward and backwards you will actually do small parts of the SWD (Yeah, you do. Shut up.), but you will be stopped the very next frame. That's why you slide so far from the SWD, there are no Morph ball frames after the moving on frame 41 to frame 42. THAT IS WHY THE SWD IS THE SWD!
And here's the thread.

So yeah, it seems to work in the same way, with a change in the character's animation and horizontal movement, between running speed and jumping speed, rather than just a turnaround thing, but I could be wrong on Jiggs' SWD.

captainlukey

Smash Ace
phana can do it in fights.....
it looks quite impressive, especially when he SWDs behind you and smacks the living crap out of you with a forward smash...
still dont quite know how to do it myself tho...
but if your keen on this SWD thing then go to the video discussion and find phannamint....
rapeage

Jasona

Smash Ace
accidentally SWDing sucks and kills what little strategy i was trying to employ. on the 24th, i was at a baltimore smashfest/tournament and in a few of my matches, i needed to drop bombs very often. my swd problem is caused by me DIing away from the bomb and then trying to WD towards it as early as possible. most of the time, i only go a little distance, but i completely overshoot my goal and end up having to sheild to protect myself. Although, in one instance i accidentally swd into a connecting dtilt. that was disappointing, but it did the same job as the WD i was going for.
in every match in which i rely heavily on bombs for offense (fox, falco, sheik), i accidentally swd 3 - 5 times. i never wanted to incorporate swding into my game, but it seems like the only way to get past these mistakes is to expect a swd from those situations and try to force it to happen. i love bombs, but i hate the swd!

Binge

Smash Rookie
i swd with method 1 its in my opionion the most solid way to swd it deffinatly steps your game up if you can swd on command practice practice practice

Wreckless

Smash Journeyman
Swd = unimportant, unless you're good at it, which would be highly unlikely :] except for Wes and Phanna and whoever else i'd missed.

Joker

Smash Ace
Ya, smash has been out for this long, yet theres only like 3 sami(plural for samus lol)
that are "Good" at the Swd , and/or care to be.:laugh:
Thats like...
Wes
PHanna
Joker

Lol Urban Myth is being black helps Swding lol like me and Wes lmao
I also hear that "Purple" sami are good at Swding, lol like me and PHanna.

Coincidence???:idea: Lol

Top Bottom