• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
This list I posted earlier on, just wanted to know what people think..
I agree except swap Skyworld and Bridge of Eldin.

Skyworld just gets really bad and unplayable, and Bridge of Eldin is fine. It's not that big, and if people camp during the part where there's a gap, then they're lame and suck. There is still TONS of space to fight like normal even during the gap.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
every stage should be legal expect New Pork City,Big Blue and Hannenbow

shadydentist

Smash Lord
The point is we should throw what we know about Melee's rules out the window. In all respect to the Smash Back Room and those who contributed to the set of banned stages to Melee I believe that the area of banned stages were butchered to an extent. Melee did have some insane levels that would never make the cut for tournament play, but stages like Onett were comepletely fine. The cars that were considered cheap actually protected against Fox's infinite. and the walk off area could be avoided easily. Mushroom Kingdom two is usually banned as well. Heck Jungle Japes, while certainly banned in Brawl, was almost banned from tournaments.
Onett was banned for camping, not for the cars. Mushroom Kingdom was also banned for camping.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
In other words a strategy that was annoying warrant a ban? I know that's what they said but I refuse to believe something so shady. I can understand stages where you can constantly run away from your opponent. Hyrule Temple and even Great Bay are good examples. But Mushroom Kingdom II had minimal opportunity for this. Onett camping was possible. But it wasn't easy. So long as camping isn't made insanely easy it's a counterpickable property for stages that have it.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Well my topic was locked so i gotta move it here.

Battlefield
*Neutral
- No hazards
- simple and a good enough size to promise a constant fight

Final Destination
* Neutral
- No hazards
- no true possible way to run from a fight

Delfino Plaza
* Neutral
- Simple field style when transitioning from one spot to another
- No hazards in the manner of an outside forced directly harming a player
* Counter
- Transition from one spot to another does not allow a solid battlefield and transition can cause a complete momentum change due to accidental SDs or KOs.
* Ban
- Water in certain portions does not allow KOs to happen as easily, making recovery too easy for any character at high damage and can only really be justified to a small extent by the fact that the boundaries of the level arent far from the ground itself.

Luigi's Mansion
* Neutral
- Semi-simple field style
- no hazards that directly harm the players
* Counter
- Columns in the stage prevent projectiles (Fox lasers, etc)

Mushroomy Kingdom
* Counter
- Stage scrolls in a fixed pattern and never changes
* Ban
- Scrolling Stage
- Warp Pipes can be used as walls to infinite combo a player until the screen passes them

Mario Circuit
* Neutral
- Simply design prevents running
*Counter / Ban
- Racers pose immediate threat and is a walk-off stage (which is questionable in my mind)

Rumble Falls
*Counter
- I dont recall and hazards that damage players
- Scrolls on a fixed pattern
*Ban
- Scrolling Stage
- Walls can be used to hold players until KOd by the scrolling screen
- Scrolling pace changes

Bridge of Eldin
*Neutral
- Very simply design
*Counter
- Rider on bridge slightly interfears with the battle and can damage players directly
- Bomb dropped by the rider can heavily damage and even KO a player
*Ban
- The level can directly stop a player's recovery on RARE occasions when the bridge can reform above a player, preventing them from getting back to the stage

Pirate Ship
* Neutral
- Small and simple
*Counter
- Level goes through transitions that changes the gameplay slightly
> Cannonballs can heavily damage and KO players
> Tornado through the ship in the air, and lessens the gravity during descent
> The ship can crash into a rock and add to the battlefield, which produces a temporary wall to the stage
- Catapult can stop a player's combo and even KO players
*Ban
- Water heavily impairs the ability to KO someone through the bottom border of the stage.
- Getting caught under the ship causes an immediate KO, this includes hitting under the front

Norfair
*Ban
- Level produces an even battlefield but has nothinbg but direct hazards
- level forces players to move out of where they may be fighting to avoid the level from KOing them
- The capsule with the lava in the background forces players to fight over a single platform, the loser very likely being KOed automatically

Frigate Orpheon
* Counter / Ban
- Flipping the stage directly interferes with gameplay. This can cause a player to SD or be cheaply KOd, but can be recovered for the most part.

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
* Neutral
- Stage has a simple design
- There are no direct hazards

Halberd
* Neutral
- Stage has a simple battlefield the entire time
* Counter
- Stage produces hazards that directly damage players.
- The transition has a VERY SLIGHT effect on gameplay, but not enough to make a considerable difference.

Lylat Cruise
* Neutral
- Stage design is very simple
- No direct hazards that damage players
* Counter
- Stage has a tilt that interferes with recoveries

Pokemon Stadium 2
* Counter / Ban
- Transitions in the stage heavily interfere with the gameplay and can lead to unexpected combos ending and beginning and easy SDs and KOs

Spear Pillar
*Counter
- The screen tilts randomly
- Gravity is reduced at random intervals
- Cresalia's attacks get in the way of the fight
- Platforms randomly break and fix themselves
- Dialga/Palkia beams cause damage and can KO someone at high damage, but are easily avoidable
*Ban
- The screen inverts direction at random
- The screen can be shiften upside down
*Side Note
- if there were any way to determine who appeared in the background while selecting the stage i would give Dialga a counter and Palkia a ban, but for now i say Counter because even the player who selects it must deal with the control changes

Port Town Aero Dive
* Neutral
- Simple design and very difficult to fun from the fight
* Counter / Ban
- Unexpected walls cause heavy damage
- Vehicles has significant damage and knockback that can KO players at low damage

Castle Siege
* Neutral
- All transitions of this stage are simple and pose no immediate hazards that damage opponents
* Counter
- The second area of the stage has pillars that interfere with projectiles
- During transitions it is difficult to KO the opponent

WarioWare Inc
* Neutral (NOT!!!)
- Simple Stage design
* BAN!
- Stage DIRECTLY and ENCOURAGES DIRECTLY INTERFERING with gameply and gives prizes (such as mushrooms and stars) even if items are off.

Distant Planet
* Neutral
- Small and simple design
* Counter
- Has projectiles given to players
- Change in weather has a slight effect on gameplay
- Creature on the right side can KO players

Smashville
* Neutral
- Simple design and is very difficult to avoid combat
- No immediate hazards that dont damage or harm the characters

New Pork City
* Counter / Ban
- Large stage promotes running
- Monster spawns and causes 100% damage on impact and usually KOs players within one hit

Summit
* Neutral
- stage has some transitions which effect the gravity and borders of the stage
* Ban
- Ice flooring causes slipping
- Cannot grab any ledges
- Fish KOs upon eating a player

SkyWorld
* Neutral
- Simple design
* Counter
- Ledges can only be grabbed when the tiles aren't destroyed
- Can only drop and jump through platforms when tiles are destroyed

75M:
*Counter / Ban
- Stage is too large
- can't drop through any of the platforms unless you drop onto a ladder
- DK. flying springs, and those fireballs(i never really hit them because i always camp at the top right of the stage) are all damaging hazards which could possibly kill you.

Mario Bros?
*BAN
- Entirely too difficult to KO an opponent
- Large and very easy to run away in
- Animals of doom

Flat Zone 2
*Counter/Ban
- transitions in the stage heavily change the gameplay
> lion tamers make the match very close up and don't allow for any combos and lead to easy KOs or even SDs
> The two standing infront of the building attack you when you attack too close to them, this gets really annoying
> the trampoline is avoidable but can definately mess with your combos
> Flying Food!!!!i've never actually been effected by this i just decided to put it here

PictoChat
* Neutral
- Simple design
*Counter
- Stage goes through many transitions which changes the platforms and adds damaging hazards

Hannonbow
* Neutral
- No hazards that damage players
* Counter
- Stage is slightly expansive allowing some running space
* Ban
- (Sorry as much as i hate this stage i cant give a reason to ban it, help me out here)

Shadow Moses Island
* Neutral
- Stage is small and simple
- Has no hazards which directly damage players
*Counter / Ban
- Destructible walls and walk off, label it how you want to here

Green Hill Zone
* Counter
- Stage has destructible flooring
- Checkpoint is an in-stage weapon
- Walk off stage

Hyrule Temple
* Counter / Ban
- Stage is very huge and encourages running
- Bottom portion of the stage has too many walls and only one good launching direction making it very difficult to KO someone at high damage

Yoshi's Island
*Neutral
- Small and simple stage design
* Ban
- Stage is easy to SD in due to the pit in the center

Jungle Japes
* Neutral
* Counter / Ban
- The river under the stage can heavily break recoveries
- Clap Traps in the river can easily KO players

Onett
* Neutral
- Small and Simple
* Counter / Ban
- Cars are heavy hazards
- Walls make it easy to infinately combo someone
- Walk off

Carneria
* Neutral
* Counter
- Stage has laser blasts interfering with the fight
* Ban
- Wall on the back half causes easy infinate combos

Rainbow Cruise
* Counter
- Stage moves in a fixed pattern
* Ban
- Scrolling Stage that has dependable movement patterns (carpets, etc)

Green Greens
* Counter / Ban
- Bombs and blocks can cause accidental SDs and KOs.

Big Blue
* Ban
- Flooring is difficult to navigate
- Slowly Scrolling Camera

Brinstar
* Counter / Ban
- Lava interferes with gameplay and can often make it difficult to KO an opponent

Pokemon Stadium
* Neutral
- Stage is simple and small
* Counter / Ban
- Transitions in the level can effect gameplay (more than it did in Melee
this is naturally debateable. Keep in mind every section is simple stating the arguments people could use to label it in one of the three catagories.

Startibartfast42's arguments after my above post
Norfair: you can just sheild the lava title wave. The spurts of lava from behind are the biggest problem, you get little time to react and block/dodge. Everything else gives you plenty of warning, and the spurts aren't frequent enough to be game-deciding, some games they don't appear at all. Counterpick

Frigate Orpheon: The right side of the stage won't let you grab onto it in one of the forms. This ruins players with Tether Recovery. I agree with your counter/ban status, I just wanted to add this.

Port Town Aero Dive: This is a definite ban to me, the stage changing can place a hole directly beneath you when you are out of jumps and kill you, the edges aren't grab-able (I think) and the cars can easily kill you.

Summit: Definite ban due to the "doomfish". (that should be it's official name if it doesn't already have one)

SkyWorld: Cave of life - players at high percents can survive by staying in the middle. Also, you can destroy the floor on the bottom, then hit your opponent off the ceiling, they bounce, then fall through the floor for an easy KO. Should be Counterpick/Ban, imo.

Hannonbow: Plenty of reasons to ban it. If you get hit while jumping through the large gap between the plants, you could easily be KO'd at low percent if your character doesn't have a ton of jumps. This gives huge advantages to characters with good jumping and projectiles (I'm looking at you, Pit), and completely screws over characters with tether recoveries. Should in no way be neutral. Counterpick/Ban

Shadow Moses Island: Counterpick, probably Ban due to infinite wall combos.

Green Hill Zone: by DIing down, you can survive to insane percents if your opponent's character has no good ceiling KO moves. I agree on counterpick, I just wanted to add that.

Hyrule Temple: Cave of Life + walls for infinites = banned again. MAYBE counterpick.

Yoshi's Island(melee): Why don't you have Counterpick for this? That's what it should be.

With these changes, I think this would be a good list for everyone to agree on. The stages should be implemented into tournaments at the option you gave that is closest to neutral. Stages should then be banned as problems arise. However, the following stages should be counterpick instead of neutral. "Simple in design" =/= Neutral. I could make a stage of blocks with spaces in between which would be simple but obviously not neutral. Remember Mushroom Kingdom in Melee? Simple, yet banned. A stage is neutral not because of what it is, but rather what it isn't: a significant advantage/disadvantage to certain characters.

Mario Circuit: DeDeDe chaingrab allows for easy side KO's
Bridge of Eldin: Walk-off edges again
Pirate Ship: The stage can KO you. This gives an advantage to the other player.
WarioWare Inc: Ban it
Distant Planet: Water flow + creature = counterpick. (you can avoid it with general success, but it is still a way to die cheaply)
Jungle Japes: River KO's
Onett: Car KO's, walls for infinites.
Corneria: wall
Picto-Chat: obstacles

So the whole list should be like this:

Smashville-Neutral
Castle Siege-Neutral
Lylat Cruise-Neutral
Halberd-Neutral
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)-Neutral
Battlefield-Neutral
Final Destination-Neutral
Delfino Plaza-Neutral
Luigi's Mansion-Neutral (debateable whether the pillars blocking projectiles gives not projectile chars too much advantage; countered by the fact that the house is destroyable, and you can camp on the ceiling)
Pokemon Stadium-Neutral (seriously guys, the edges aren't that hard to get used to, I had no problems after a couple matches)
Mushroomy Kingdom-Counter
Mario Circuit-Counter
Rumble Falls-Counter
Bridge of Eldin-Counter
Pirate Ship-Counter
Norfair-Counter
Frigate Orpheon-Counter
Pokemon Stadium 2-Counter
Distant Planet-Counter

Brinstar-Counter
SkyWorld-Counter
PictoChat-Counter
Hannonbow-Counter
Shadow Moses Island-Counter
Green Hill Zone-counter
Yoshi's Island-Counter
Jungle Japes-Counter
Onett-Counter
Corneria- Counter
Rainbow Cruise-Counter
Green Greens- Counter

WarioWare Inc-Ban
Big Blue-Ban
Hyrule Temple-Ban
New Pork City-Ban
Summit-Ban
Port Town Aero Dive-Ban
I agreed for the most part with this, the only objection being that the pillars limit projectiles at least Mario, Luigi, Peach, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pikachu, Lucario, Dedede, Shiek, and Ivysaur. THey might affect Charizard and Bowser. This is why i say it best goes for counter.

opinions?

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Only stages that need to be banned are ones with unpredictable movement and hazards, and ones that have near broken level tactics. Concerning stages with near broken level tactics, we should actually test those out in tournaments before deeming their broken. Also I would like to do away with the whole neutral/counter pick system, because it's apparent that there literally is no such thing as a neutral stage. Instead we should have the first stage picked randomly from all the legal stages, but do it before hand so players can pick their characters accordingly, and not end up with a character who does terrible on said stage.

The_Court_Jester

Smash Cadet
Anyone who says Hanenbow should be banned is dumb. Counterpick because tether recoveries have a slightly harder time with it on the left side, but Ivysaur has no troubles with that and ZSS has a third jump. Olimar should be good with 5-6 pikmin. The real reason it's counterpick is because it favors aerial battles and because it's kind of campy.

Florida

イーグランツ
n e u t r a l s t a g e s :

Battlefield
Final Destination
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Pokémon Stadium (Melee)

c o u n t e r p i c k l e g a l :

Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege
Summit
Skyworld
Shadow Moses Island
Jungle Japes (Melee)
Corneria (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)
Green Greens (Melee)
Brinstar (Melee)

b a n n e d s t a g e s :

Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Pokémon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town
Wario Ware
Distant Planet
New Pork City
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
PictoChat
Hanewbow
Green Hill Zone
Hyrule Temple (Melee)
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Onett (Melee)
Big Blue (Melee)

Florida

イーグランツ
wtf @ Brinstar Depths, egruntz
You're response is a little too vague. What do you see wrong with Brinstar being a counterpick legal stage? If I'm not mistaken, it was counterpick legal back in Melee. Though, you can't really judge stages based on Melee's list; Brawl is a new game.

Brinstar has a nice set-up, I feel. It has platforms, a funky base, and some extras to the actual stage (destroying the bottom and side platforms). The only reason why this is placed in the counterpicks, in my opinion, is because of the rising lava--which, really, isn't all that bad. The lava isn't enough to get the stage banned, but enough to keep it from being neutral.

EDIT: Ah, I see. Brinstar Depths. Thanks, mate.

M.K

Level 55
Um....I believe that Frigate Orpheon should be counterpick (I didn't look at egruntz list, I'm sorry if this is already stated there).
Is Frigate Orpheon = counterpick the general consensus around here?
Reasons being:
1. The stage layout presents no threat other than the platforms moving off screen left and right on one of the flips.
2. You can see the stage flip coming from a mile and a half away. It doesn't usually kill you unless you are in some awkward position that....really, you deserve to be killed by the flip if it gets you.
3. The flip doesn't disrupt gameplay and/or combos.

Thanks

EDIT: @egruntz, ooh, Frigate Orpheon as neutral? Great! Also, I believe Flat Zone 2 to be counterpick as well. Is the ban because of walk-off edges?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351

Battlefield
Final Destination
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Pokémon Stadium (Melee)

Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege
Summit
Skyworld
Shadow Moses Island
Jungle Japes (Melee)
Corneria (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)
Green Greens (Melee)
Brinstar (Melee)

Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Pokémon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town
Wario Ware
Distant Planet
New Pork City
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
PictoChat
Hanewbow
Green Hill Zone
Hyrule Temple (Melee)
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Onett (Melee)
Big Blue (Melee)
I mostly agree with this, however, I have some arguements for the following stages:

Battleship Halberd - The stage hazards are either clearly predictable or relatively easy to avoid. That, coupled with a basic stage layout, warrants neutrality.

Conclusion: n e u t r a l

Bridge of Eldin - The horn that announces the presence of King Bulbin lets everyone know that he's coming, so avoiding him and the barrel explosive isn't the issue here. It is possible to avoid destruction of the bridge by hitting Bulbin with a projectile just as he's about to drop the explosive. This would eliminate the possibility of getting stuck under the bridge as it's forming.

Conclusion: c o u n t e r p i c k

Distant Planet - The hazards are fairly easy to avoid, despite the heavy flow of the water. You can just let go of the ledge beneath the current and use your recovery to stall on it. The bulborb presents a bit of a problem, but anyone with enough common sense would likely stay away from it.

Hanenbow - Despite the fact that tether recovery characters are screwed, the aerial nature of the stage and the campyness of the leaves can be dealt with fairly easily.

Luigi's Mansion - The pillars prevent characters from using projectile attacks effectively, and the roof can be used for camping, but this isn't much of a problem, since the house can be destroyed. The layout doesn't particularly favor any character, either.

Pokémon Stadium 2 - The only real problem here is the electric transformation of the stage. It's possible to get edgeguarded to the extreme if someone knocks you onto the conveyor belt and edges you to death. Other than that, there isn't really that much of an issue.

Other than those listed above, that list is perfectly fine by me.

Florida

イーグランツ
Um....I believe that Frigate Orpheon should be counterpick (I didn't look at egruntz list, I'm sorry if this is already stated there).
Is Frigate Orpheon = counterpick the general consensus around here?
Reasons being:
1. The stage layout presents no threat other than the platforms moving off screen left and right on one of the flips.
2. You can see the stage flip coming from a mile and a half away. It doesn't usually kill you unless you are in some awkward position that....really, you deserve to be killed by the flip if it gets you.
3. The flip doesn't disrupt gameplay and/or combos.

Thanks

EDIT: @egruntz, ooh, Frigate Orpheon as neutral? Great! Also, I believe Flat Zone 2 to be counterpick as well. Is the ban because of walk-off edges?
Frigate Orpheon is one of my favorite levels. The flip really doesn't cause a problem, and the layout of the stage is just wonderful. The moving platforms from the sides will sometimes move quickly, but really, all you have to do is jump and avoid it.

Flat Zone 2 is banned in my list for more than just the walk-off edges. The jail-zone of the level, as well as the parking lot and others, have hazards that will send players flying. The jail guards and random people will damage you if you barely touch them, and the random movement of the guards makes it all more challenging. Plus, walk-off stages are still a little "meh."

I mostly agree with this, however, I have some arguements for the following stages:

Battleship Halberd - The stage hazards are either clearly predictable or relatively easy to avoid. That, coupled with a basic stage layout, warrants neutrality.

This is what I originally thought. When I posted my list, a friend of mine also questioned me on my placement of Halberd (as well as Luigi's Mansion, see below for that). So, we played on the stage for about three matches. The bombs are slow and obvious; there's no problem here. The claw, however, can sometimes hide from the eye. For me, it's difficult to notice when it's about to attack. And when it does attack, it's pretty fast and straight-forward.

Also, the laser can prove to be a difficult edgeguard. Send your opponent off the edge while the laser is locked onto them, and time is so that the laser will set off right near the edge. There's really no escape for that. Also, it's easy to grab and stall while you wait for the laser to set off.

Bridge of Eldin - The horn that announces the presence of King Bulbin lets everyone know that he's coming, so avoiding him and the barrel explosive isn't the issue here. It is possible to avoid destruction of the bridge by hitting Bulbin with a projectile just as he's about to drop the explosive. This would eliminate the possibility of getting stuck under the bridge as it's forming.

The problem I have with this stage isn't so much the bomb or King Bulblin. Rather, it's the fact that there's a gigantic hole in the middle of a gigantic stage. While the hole is there, the game pretty much stops. Players usually scatter off to their own side, and camp and start spamming projectiles. The stage is just too big, really.

Distant Planet - The hazards are fairly easy to avoid, despite the heavy flow of the water. You can just let go of the ledge beneath the current and use your recovery to stall on it. The bulborb presents a bit of a problem, but anyone with enough common sense would likely stay away from it.

The main problem with this stage is the bulborb. Some times this thig is a bit hard to avoid. You can easily get meteor smashed into the mouth, and the very second that you land, it closes its mouth and walks off of the screen. The rain makes the left side of the stage a bit tricky, and can easily gimp some players in a right situation. Platforms (leaves) lower when stood on, and the main base (vines) are very very bouncy. It's just an odd stage. Although it's one of my favorites, it's just not suit for competitive play.

Hanenbow - Despite the fact that tether recovery characters are screwed, the aerial nature of the stage and the campyness of the leaves can be dealt with fairly easily.

The top left leaves make the stage uneven, and the bottom left leave is just screaming "CAMP!" The rising and lowering of the leaves can mess up some attacks and combos, even unintentionally by the player performing the combo. It's just a stupid stage.

Luigi's Mansion - The pillars prevent characters from using projectile attacks effectively, and the roof can be used for camping, but this isn't much of a problem, since the house can be destroyed. The layout doesn't particularly favor any character, either.

The pillars and the roof make things unfair a bit more than you think. This stage is killer against a Snake, who is solely projectile. His remote missile, grenades, motor, and other projectiles are all beaten by the pillars and the ceiling. Plus, the edges are similar to Final Destination's; that's just pushing it. It's a fun stage, but should be placed under counterpick legal. Use it against Snakes, no?

Pokémon Stadium 2 - The only real problem here is the electric transformation of the stage. It's possible to get edgeguarded to the extreme if someone knocks you onto the conveyor belt and edges you to death. Other than that, there isn't really that much of an issue.

That and the flying transformation and the ice transformation. The really only fair map on this stage is the ground/rock. The others have something completely wrong with them. You've already mentioned the major problem with the electric setting. The wind map is obviously stupid, and the ice map just messes up so many attacks it's not even funny.

Is it just me, or does ice include the chances of tripping?

Other than those listed above, that list is perfectly fine by me.
Thanks for the reply. :)

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
Delfino Plaza for neutral.

There are a couple of walk-off stations, but they all come and go in a set pattern, so people will know when they're coming. In between these landings, people are put on a completely ordinary platform-based stage. There are no hazards, unless you count water as a hazard, so it seems like fair game to me. It doesn't encourage camping, much, since the stages are fairly small and the landing points don't last for any more than 30 seconds. It's like Mute City minus the cars and hazards.

AlexX

Smash Ace
The claw, however, can sometimes hide from the eye. For me, it's difficult to notice when it's about to attack. And when it does attack, it's pretty fast and straight-forward.
I'm pretty sure its knockback is unimpressive and you can usually tell by paying a little closer attention to the background. It's also easier to deal with than the other hazards since like the Sticky Bomb, you can walk past your opponent to switch the target to them. It strikes fairly swiftly, but if all else fails you can shield it.

Also, the laser can prove to be a difficult edgeguard. Send your opponent off the edge while the laser is locked onto them, and time is so that the laser will set off right near the edge. There's really no escape for that. Also, it's easy to grab and stall while you wait for the laser to set off.
The topic regarding this stage indicates you have about 10 seconds of warning time before it fires. In order for your examples to work, you'd have to be oblivious to the crosshairs for most of that time and/or allow your opponent to set you up for them.

The problem I have with this stage isn't so much the bomb or King Bulblin. Rather, it's the fact that there's a gigantic hole in the middle of a gigantic stage. While the hole is there, the game pretty much stops. Players usually scatter off to their own side, and camp and start spamming projectiles. The stage is just too big, really.
People keep using this argument, but how many projectiles can reach all the way accross the gap, and how many characters can't jump it? For example, I know the Starfox crew's lazers don't reach too far past the gap. Likewise, I've managed to get past the gap as both Olimar and Ike, who aren't exactly known for having impressive jumping power.

The main problem with this stage is the bulborb. Some times this thig is a bit hard to avoid. You can easily get meteor smashed into the mouth, and the very second that you land, it closes its mouth and walks off of the screen. The rain makes the left side of the stage a bit tricky, and can easily gimp some players in a right situation. Platforms (leaves) lower when stood on, and the main base (vines) are very very bouncy. It's just an odd stage. Although it's one of my favorites, it's just not suit for competitive play.
If you're meteor smashed and you're not at a very low percentage, you're most likely dead anyhow. Besides, the whole point of the game is to knock an enemy to a part of the stage where they'll die.

The rain I think is beneficial, as it stops people trying to camp on the walk-off area for whatever reason, but doesn't prevent you from grabbing the ledge either. And as an interesting note, while playing as ZSS once, I found her tether will actually reach all the way to the right side of the main leaf/vine part of the stage rather than target the ledge the rain is falling. If hers can reach it just fine, the other tether-users shouldn't have that big an issue, either. As for the main part being bouncy? Are you sure? It doesn't seem to affect my jumping power (unless it only affects some characters, of course). I think the bounce just a cosmetic effect, because I don't recall it ever affecting my jumping power.

The top left leaves make the stage uneven, and the bottom left leave is just screaming "CAMP!" The rising and lowering of the leaves can mess up some attacks and combos, even unintentionally by the player performing the combo. It's just a stupid stage.
I think a lot of people unfairly hate this stage. I've found it effective to stop my friend who mains Pit from spamming his arrows and force him into aerial combat. It looks like a big stage, but I play Ike and Olimar and have never had issues catching up to opponents that are faster like Pikachu or Pit.

Also, I'd like to point out that tether recoveries can catch the leaves just fine. It just has to be on the OUTSIDE of the leaves, not on the inside part (towards the tree) in order to grab the ledge.

The pillars and the roof make things unfair a bit more than you think. This stage is killer against a Snake, who is solely projectile. His remote missile, grenades, motor, and other projectiles are all beaten by the pillars and the ceiling. Plus, the edges are similar to Final Destination's; that's just pushing it. It's a fun stage, but should be placed under counterpick legal. Use it against Snakes, no?
I disagree. Even the weakest of characters are capable of reducing the mansion to rubble, so taking a couple seconds to have Snake punch down the mansion shouldn't be too hard. In matches with my friends, we tend to reduce it to rubble without even trying, and unlike Hanenbow, the stage hasn't affected my Pit friend's arrow spam strategy.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Luigi's Mansion:
Unless your opponent is camping, its not viable for snake to take down the building every game. The stage overly punishes characters with a strong projectile game, which is why I feel that the stage should be counterpick.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I agree with Egruntz, with Serris' additions.
But as people are campaigning for Bridge of Eldin's legality, I should put in the idea of GHZ to counterpick, too.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
People keep using this argument, but how many projectiles can reach all the way accross the gap...
On the ground:
Zelda's Din's Fire
Shiek's needles
Pit's arrow
Diddy's peanut popgun (slightly and fully charged)
Link's/TL's arrow (fully charged)
ROB's laser
Samus's Charge Shot and missiles
Fox's/Falco's laser
Lucario's Aura Sphere (fully charged)
Ness's/Luca's PK Thunder
Luca's PK Freeze (only reaches the ledge)
Snake's rocket launcher

...and how many characters can't jump it?
None

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Take summit off of there due to the fish.

When $10,000 is on the line, a giant fish donking your last stock is mega gay.

I like Rapid Assassin's list.

Crazy Hobo

Smash Cadet
Neutral should be absolutely neutral. FD, Battlefield, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, and Yoshi's Island. Halberad and Delfino change too much. I have seen to many deaths on Halberad and Delfino from the platform rising, alone.

M.K

Level 55
Take summit off of there due to the fish.

When $10,000 is on the line, a giant fish donking your last stock is mega gay.

I like Rapid Assassin's list.
You shouldn't even BE in the water anyways, so....if the fish gobbles you up, you deserve to lost that stock!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You shouldn't even BE in the water anyways, so....if the fish gobbles you up, you deserve to lost that stock!
Problem 'in the water' also covers the bottom platform often, which the fish can eat you from too. I don't see why half of any stage should be a 1hit ko. Even Norfair or Pikmin's hazards aren't that damaging, unpredictable or fast.

Florida

イーグランツ
I'm pretty sure its knockback is unimpressive and you can usually tell by paying a little closer attention to the background. It's also easier to deal with than the other hazards since like the Sticky Bomb, you can walk past your opponent to switch the target to them. It strikes fairly swiftly, but if all else fails you can shield it.

The topic regarding this stage indicates you have about 10 seconds of warning time before it fires. In order for your examples to work, you'd have to be oblivious to the crosshairs for most of that time and/or allow your opponent to set you up for them.
Just because there's a ten second warning doesn't mean that your opponent can't still knock you off of the stage. My friend wasn't even trying to set the laser up for an edgeguard yesterday, he was just trying to get a K.O.. I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that meddling laser!

People keep using this argument, but how many projectiles can reach all the way accross the gap, and how many characters can't jump it? For example, I know the Starfox crew's lazers don't reach too far past the gap. Likewise, I've managed to get past the gap as both Olimar and Ike, who aren't exactly known for having impressive jumping power.
MysticKenji said:
Zelda's Din's Fire
Shiek's needles
Pit's arrow
Diddy's peanut popgun (slightly and fully charged)
Link's/TL's arrow (fully charged)
ROB's laser
Samus's Charge Shot and missiles
Fox's/Falco's laser
Lucario's Aura Sphere (fully charged)
Ness's/Luca's PK Thunder
Luca's PK Freeze (only reaches the ledge)
Snake's rocket launcher
;)

No one is going to want to jump across the gap if you could just spam your projectile. Plus, jumping to the other side can leave you open for attacking and meteor smashes. Plus, there's the rare occasion where you'll get meteor smashed at a low percent, try to make a recovery, and the bridge will reappear and trap you underneath.

If you're meteor smashed and you're not at a very low percentage, you're most likely dead anyhow. Besides, the whole point of the game is to knock an enemy to a part of the stage where they'll die.
Yes, that's the point of the game, but when that can be accomplished at 20% or so, it is unfair.

The rain I think is beneficial, as it stops people trying to camp on the walk-off area for whatever reason, but doesn't prevent you from grabbing the ledge either. And as an interesting note, while playing as ZSS once, I found her tether will actually reach all the way to the right side of the main leaf/vine part of the stage rather than target the ledge the rain is falling. If hers can reach it just fine, the other tether-users shouldn't have that big an issue, either. As for the main part being bouncy? Are you sure? It doesn't seem to affect my jumping power (unless it only affects some characters, of course). I think the bounce just a cosmetic effect, because I don't recall it ever affecting my jumping power.
Still, the rain can cause some slippery deaths. Even when the rain isn't there, the left hill causes problems. Since it's a walk-off, characters such as King Dedede and Falco can dthrow chaingrab you right off into the blast zone.

I think a lot of people unfairly hate this stage. I've found it effective to stop my friend who mains Pit from spamming his arrows and force him into aerial combat. It looks like a big stage, but I play Ike and Olimar and have never had issues catching up to opponents that are faster like Pikachu or Pit.
This still doesn't stop camping. Your friend could just fly up to the top left set of leaves and force you to approach while simply spamming his arrows.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Samus's projectiles don't reach that far after they pass the ledge. Other characters' projectiles could be a bit of a problem, though.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Distant Planet is amazingly well balanced. The walk-off on the left is slanted and has rain coming down every once in a while. Not only that, the platform in the middle has projectiles that spawn to deal with anyone trying to camp the edge, they'll eventually have to come to you due to the rain and projectiles. The Bulborb on the right is harder to combo an opponent into than to knock them off the stage. This stage has counter-pick written all over it. Not a ban.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord

[. . .]

[. . .]

[. . .]
Whoa whoa whoa. Is this to say that, the stages which will be called 'neutral' are not legal to counterpick?

If so, I must vehemently request that Lylat Cruise be put to counterpick legal. What case do I have to make for a stage to be counterpick legal (what are the criteria for 'non-neutrality')?

And just out of curiosity, what's wrong with Onett?

IDK

Smash Lord
Since the last topic on this confused a lot of people with the original post seeming too official with the list of "stage bans" and such posted, I feel it's a better idea to remake a new and fresh one so that people won't think that the posted list's are official, because at this point in time, there is no official stage legality lists. Nothing's been banned as yet (though there's a few that are pretty safe to assume, looking at you Hyrule, Poky, Warioware) and as soon as something is decided on, a new topic will be posted with the Smash Back Room's list.

Until then, please discus away here on what you think could be neutral, counterpick or banned. And above all, keep an open mind.
ACTUALLY, there ARE many stages that have already been banned. My LEAST favorite happens to be shocking to most. They might world-wide tournament ban everyone's favorite stage: Final D. Horrible isnt it? It's because of people complaining about getting stuck underneath. And also someone was talking about stages with walls not being out anymore, but you can still infinite damage with a few characters. For example: game+watch's gun, fox reflector, and others. Anyone else know of any other stage bans? My favorite stage, personally, is Final D, as Lucas doesn't really ever get stuck down there... lol.

Wuss

Smash Champion
I really see no argument for distant planet being legal at all, because it is such a terrible stage. The rain is a HUGE hazard, if it comes down while someone is on the slanted part, they could easily die if they blinked even, because it moves them so fast. Not to mention the random projectiles (aka items) that appear are completely stupid. And don't even get me started on the giant bulborb, cause that thing is so ghey. Not even so much as it can kill you, but it limits people's actions because they know that if they go over there, there is a chance it will eat them. The bulborb seriously limits people's options just because they are scared of it.

Eten

Smash Ace
Distant Planet is amazingly well balanced. The walk-off on the left is slanted and has rain coming down every once in a while. Not only that, the platform in the middle has projectiles that spawn to deal with anyone trying to camp the edge, they'll eventually have to come to you due to the rain and projectiles. The Bulborb on the right is harder to combo an opponent into than to knock them off the stage. This stage has counter-pick written all over it. Not a ban.
THE BULBORB ATE ME!
Ban!
Ban ban ban BAN BAN!!!

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Thanks for the quick, instructive replies to my query.

I really see no argument for distant planet being legal at all, because it is such a terrible stage. The rain is a HUGE hazard, if it comes down while someone is on the slanted part, they could easily die if they blinked even, because it moves them so fast. Not to mention the random projectiles (aka items) that appear are completely stupid. And don't even get me started on the giant bulborb, cause that thing is so ghey. Not even so much as it can kill you, but it limits people's actions because they know that if they go over there, there is a chance it will eat them. The bulborb seriously limits people's options just because they are scared of it.
None of that is strong enough for banned status, Wuss, except for the rain death.
I say that one relevant feature is just how bad the shape is. And the terrible color palette - you can barely see anything. The leaves on the side are at this height where it's suicide to be standing on them.
So all you have is this slant - which without warning can kill you, so you don't go there - the part under the leaves - which is close to the bulborb and is REALLY SMALL, so things don't get very creative there - and that other raised part, with the projectiles - from where you can just own a bad jumper stuck anywhere else.

It jinxes too many characters, and is just so unappealing for anyone, players or spectators. A boring stage that kills like a fast-paced one. Get rid of it.

EDIT: I have another question - it seems that Pirate Ship is actually quite fair... it's just that the catapult thing is hella annoying, and the cannon balls too hazardous. So it seems that counterpick is the one place it shouldn't go... it would either be acceptable, or unacceptable. Am I wrong?

smashphil

Smash Rookie
skyworld should be banned or counterpick not neautral because
if the platforms break, it's so easy to spike or meteor someone through the
clouds

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Skyworld most likely will make counterpick because people who use tethergrab characters would have no chance if their opponents broke all the platforms. There is no reason to give it banned status in my opinion.

Distant Planet? Wow there is too much debate about this. Give it the counterpick legal status. Sure chaingrabs can kill instantly on the left side but if the stage is chosen around half the characters in the game have good spamming attacks to camp with so camp on the right side and let the water push them to the ledge. yes its impossible to get out of the chain grab but if you avoid the first grab in the chain or are on the wrong side of it then its nothing. the Hazards are slow and easy to avoid, its not really a big deal avoiding that big thing on the right side who likes to eat you, and the water only takes one part of the stage, the part that everyone seems to have a problem with already. it is very possible to fight on that stage without giving reason to ban it.

M.K

Level 55
Problem 'in the water' also covers the bottom platform often, which the fish can eat you from too. I don't see why half of any stage should be a 1hit ko. Even Norfair or Pikmin's hazards aren't that damaging, unpredictable or fast.
Hmm, I don't believe the fish can eat you through that ice. I've tested it before, and I remember that it only appears through the deeper water. And, it's not hard to dodge the fish before it comes out, but once it's out, your *** better be up the iceberg or you are Fishy Chow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom