• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion: Philosophical

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
A lot of low tiers are aided by it because it can kill for them and aid their recoveries (poor killing ability and recovery are common traits of low tiers).

I'd pick it as Jigglypuff, Yoshi, Samus and Mario if I didn't have better options.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Being able to avoid the hazards in Halberd better than their opponent is called being a better player on that certain stage. Anyone decent is good on any stage so it's not an issue.
The point is the opponent is not better at avoiding hazards (in the scnario I'm referring to anyway), they just happened to avoid them in that particular match.

ADHD

Smash Hero
It's such a pointless issue though. Are you going to start arguing over random spawn points next?

Yes, a player can get a disadvantage from the stage if they are
a) Unable to avoid hazards due to being bad
OR
b) Unlucky

but the situations where this would actually affect the outcome of a match would be VERY rare.
It happens quite frequently, actually. That's why I and others care.

The addition of just ONE stage can change the entire tournament.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Then they were better at avoiding them in that particular match.
This is exactly what we mean, if you can't avoid them on that certain match, then it's still your fault. Luck has nothing to do with it. Stay focused.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Note that I wasn't talking about Pictochat there, I was talking about stages like Halberd and Brinstar.
Brinstar's still slightly random.. if you don't have multiple jumps, the lava will be difficult to avoid at it's highest peak. Whatever then, that doesn't really affect the outcome of a match.

As for Halberd.. Halberd's obstacles may be slow, but they are random and one of the strongest out there. There are going to be scenarios where it is unavoidable. I have seen it change the winner sometimes too.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Brinstar's still slightly random.. if you don't have multiple jumps, the lava will be difficult to avoid at it's highest peak. Whatever then, that doesn't really affect the outcome of a match.

As for Halberd.. Halberd's obstacles may be slow, but they are random and one of the strongest out there. There are going to be scenarios where it is unavoidable.
The laser cannot be considered a "strong" hazard because of the ease of SDI'ing out.

So, do you personally believe that every random element, no matter how minor, should result in a ban? Or do you just draw the line sooner than me?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
But in Halberd, the only time your are going to be hit by the obstacles is when your opponent forces you into them by smart play.

UberMario

Smash Master
The point is the opponent is not better at avoiding hazards (in the scnario I'm referring to anyway), they just happened to avoid them in that particular match.
You can not use low-level players [especially low enough to not avoid Halberd's obstacles] as an example of why it is bad in high-level play.

As for Halberd.. Halberd's obstacles may be slow, but they are random and one of the strongest out there. There are going to be scenarios where it is unavoidable. I have seen it change the winner sometimes too.
While the last line is true, saying that it's unavoidable is a bit extreme. All of them have over five seconds of startup-to-hit lag. The laser draws a crosshair on the character its' targeting well in advance, stops when it's ready to fire, and is easily DI'able due to the multi-hit properties. The bomb is ridiculously easy to avoid [heck, the only times I remember it EVER hitting anyone when I played were in 4-way friendlies], is extremely slow, and is easy to predict. The grapple is probably the most notable, but, at the same time, it not only has over five seconds of start up lag while it waves around, it pauses for two seconds before it attacks. Sure, being hit into the laser or arm can kill you, but considering the enormous amount of warning time (the highest average of any legal stage), that's simply being outplayed, not luck, especially when talking about the laser.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think one of the problems, which is why some stages are counter pick instead of starter, is that a hazard can put someone into a trap that just happened to be there, even with a warning.

Granted this doesn't make Halberd a banworthy stage since it able to be dealt with, but I can see why people think it's part of the stages issues when the bomb, claw, and lazer target a specific player, giving the other an advantage.

T-block

B2B TST
no character is good on them all.
This is very wrong.

No character had really established themselves to be good on these transformations, but it's very clear that some characters can be pretty strong on some transformations. With PS2 becoming more widely used, some of things are being solidified.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No character is PROVED to be good on all of them. That sounds more legit and that is the reason it can't be banned as of yet.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
No character is PROVED to be good on all of them. That sounds more legit and that is the reason it can't be banned as of yet.
Well proven maybe, but people can make some good guesses already on who is good here.

Some people have been saying the stage should be starter, when really tournament play on this is extremely limited and has not proven itself to be such.

T-block

B2B TST
It's pretty clear already now that both Yoshi and Lucas are very good on this stage... Lucas players are saying this is their #2 CP, or #1 of they get beat on Brinstar.

NNID
Budget_Player
It's as if no one is listening to what I'm actually saying. It's as if you guys think I'm claiming it's not my fault if I get stage gayed. For goodness sake I know good players shouldn't fall into that stuff, I said that many times, but the point of a match is to determine who the better player is, not who is pro.

The problem is you can have one player being clearly better than another player, but both are at the level of skill where they get stage gayed. So either of them could get gayed, it just so happens that in that one particular match it was X who got gayed, and not Y. If you redid the match, Y could get gayed instead of X. If you redid the match ten times, the results would be inconsistent. That's my issue, it doesn't actually show who the better player is.
Then they should get better.

The argument "we can't remove that" is bull****. We could remove it. We could ban FD, LC, and PS1 because their ledges make low level play inconsistent. We could ban Fox, Falco, and a few other chars because they make low level play inconsistent.

We don't, because we're sane. We don't care about low-level play. At a very low level, it is in fact possible to get enough lucky hits off that an opponent which normally always beats you gets 3-stocked. Low level play is INHERENTLY inconsistent. Which is why we try so hard to get the **** out of low-level play. It's stupid and ridiculous to try to craft a ruleset around what makes low-level play inconsistent, because ALMOST EVERYTHING DOES. Anything which adds even the slightest hint of challenge (fox's sideB, you heard that example), anything which adds a little depth (Rainbow Cruise is the example you offered), anything that makes brawl competition more than a ridiculously trivial, simplified game causes inconsistencies in low-level play! And, newsflash, we don't care about low-level play.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Then they should get better.

The argument "we can't remove that" is bull****. We could remove it. We could ban FD, LC, and PS1 because their ledges make low level play inconsistent. We could ban Fox, Falco, and a few other chars because they make low level play inconsistent.

We don't, because we're sane. We don't care about low-level play. At a very low level, it is in fact possible to get enough lucky hits off that an opponent which normally always beats you gets 3-stocked. Low level play is INHERENTLY inconsistent. Which is why we try so hard to get the **** out of low-level play. It's stupid and ridiculous to try to craft a ruleset around what makes low-level play inconsistent, because ALMOST EVERYTHING DOES. Anything which adds even the slightest hint of challenge (fox's sideB, you heard that example), anything which adds a little depth (Rainbow Cruise is the example you offered), anything that makes brawl competition more than a ridiculously trivial, simplified game causes inconsistencies in low-level play! And, newsflash, we don't care about low-level play.
There are low level players who can consistently beat other low level players.

Everything you guys have said seems to suggest that a match is meant for determining who the top level players are, not who is the better player in that match.

Someone said something like "well they avoided the hazards better in that match" well if you get inconsistent results on that stage because of the hazards, but then get consistent results between those opponents on FD or BF, then by allowing the stage with the hazards, the rulseset has failed at showcasing who the better player is.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If there are inconsistent results, then both players suck in that stage so there is no reason neither one could have picked that stage in the first place.

UberMario

Smash Master
There are low level players who can consistently beat other low level players.
And there are some high level players that can't consistently beat other high level players at Final Destination. What is the point?

Everything you guys have said seems to suggest that a match is meant for determining who the top level players are, not who is the better player in that match.
If both players are top level, stage interaction is trivial and whoever controls the aspects of a stage better is the better player. At low level play, it really doesn't matter, because if a player can't deal with straightforward attributes to a stage, then they suck and it doesn't really matter. Low level play is pretty irrelevant aswell, as no one is clamoring for 500+th best in the game, and at low levels, players inherently screw themselves over offline [online play at any level is another story that I'm not getting into] so there won't be as much consistency as you claim there is.

Someone said something like "well they avoided the hazards better in that match" well if you get inconsistent results on that stage because of the hazards, but then get consistent results between those opponents on FD or BF, then by allowing the stage with the hazards, the rulseset has failed at showcasing who the better player is.
No, it just showed that both players must fail at the stages in question, or that they like to spam FD because it's their character's best stage.

bRiMaTiOn

Smash Rookie
Hi I was wondering that, didn't Nintendo go over all these factors everyone is adding a few a time? Like didn't they design EVERYTHING with these things in mind?
So I'm saying, isn't just a regular game going to give strengths and weaknesses to every character and involve counter picks and dominating features?
I say this because I see the stage neutering has left you with a Tier List so I don't see the point.
Also aren't random elements only random elements to the untrained eye? Like couldn't smart players adjust to these factors? Isn't that the charm of SSBB?
Poker allows random elements of the same type in there tournaments. It's considered skill. Sort of.
Thinking a giant pokemon swinging around a stage at EVERYONE makes it hard for me to win is kind of wack.

Life

Smash Hero
Hi I was wondering that, didn't Nintendo go over all these factors everyone is adding a few a time? Like didn't they design EVERYTHING with these things in mind?
So I'm saying, isn't just a regular game going to give strengths and weaknesses to every character and involve counter picks and dominating features?
I say this because I see the stage neutering has left you with a Tier List so I don't see the point.
Also aren't random elements only random elements to the untrained eye? Like couldn't smart players adjust to these factors? Isn't that the charm of SSBB?
Poker allows random elements of the same type in there tournaments. It's considered skill. Sort of.
Thinking a giant pokemon swinging around a stage at EVERYONE makes it hard for me to win is kind of wack.
I see you got back from 2002, how was the trip? ;)

I'm going to assume you're a new player and not a troll for a moment (that logic is frequently used by trolls) and answer you seriously.

Nintendo explicitly didn't expect any of the Smash games to be played at a tournament level. Even if they did, balance would be impossible (if much improved).

Many elements have been proven random. We know exactly how GnW's hammer works, for example (you can't get the last two numbers you used, ever, but otherwise totally random) and we have hackers to prove things like that.

Many not-necessarily random stages have problems too. Hyrule Temple is one of three totally non-moving stages in the game. Most players (fallaciously) consider staticness a good thing (FinalD and Battlefield are the other two, and they're usually considered starter material). Temple is banned because you can run around in circles and, if your character is faster than the opponent, they cannot catch you. Since matches MUST have a timer (otherwise the tournament would run on long), as soon as the faster character gets the lead, they're undefeatable. Since this occurs in every matchup in the game, Temple is a terrible stage for competition purposes and is banned.

Pretty much every banned element went through this process at some point (though arguments are ongoing, particularly for stages like Jungle Japes and Norfair).

Does that answer your questions?

Temple isn't banned because the faster player wins. Temple is banned because Metaknight will always win, and it would be stupid not to pick him.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I doubt it. The game wasn't designed for competition.

This is a very good point, in theory. Many people ban stages in their rule-sets due to being too strong for a character, even though, as you said, it's kind of a subjective double standard to say

"Hmm... Yeah, we'll ban this stage because King Dedede is too strong here, but we'll give Meta Knight a ledge-grab limit to make him weaker, etc..."

That's why I base my rulesets around removing UNCOMPETITIVE game elements, rather than "broken" game elements. For example, once a player gets a percentage lead on Temple they can run away for the rest of the match. This literally means that the faster character will always win if he lands the first hit. Now, the issue with this is that it's very much up to chance whether the better player will get the first hit or not, so it's impossible for tournaments to fulfill their purpose (finding the best player out of a group).

Another good point. Yes, all randomness can be dealt with. However, no one is good enough to react to every possibility. When there are too many variables for a player to react to, that's generally what we call "random".

Life

Smash Hero
Temple isn't banned because the faster player wins. Temple is banned because Metaknight will always win, and it would be stupid not to pick him.
Curious what you're referring to. IDC? That applies (and is banned, though we're talking about allbrawl here so eh) everywhere, thus not a good reason to ban Temple. Is there a glide thing I don't know about (I'm aware of the momentum-building trick in the lower left but it doesn't seem applicable)? Is MK faster than Sonic?

Temple is broken in every matchup in the game, besides. Dittos included.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I've played dittos with Grim before on temple...

Eventually the person running away trips :troll:

Fox > MK on temple.

bRiMaTiOn

Smash Rookie
Whoa! My logic is used by Trolls? I didn't here any arguments but that there are random ELEMENTS in a stage and one argument that speed is a problem.
I thought random elements in stages were what made SSBB special? Also the lack of items are why speed is an issue. Where are the counter-picks? There should be a serious discussion about the game that is there. The current boards have plenty of debate as it is. I don't see how playing the original game could possibly add more. Where are the low item, anything goes 1v1 matches?

:phone:

bRiMaTiOn

Smash Rookie
Whoa! My logic is used by Trolls? I didn't here any arguments but that there are random ELEMENTS in a stage and one argument that speed is a problem.
I thought random elements in stages were what made SSBB special? Also the lack of items are why speed is an issue. Where are the counter-picks? There should be a serious discussion about the game that is there. The current boards have plenty of debate as it is. I don't see how playing the original game could possibly add more. Where are the low item, anything goes 1v1 matches?

Take it or leave it Smashboards. If you want more talk like this, then the administrators can stand up for me when the thread heats up. If you want more people talking like inferior then I'm fine and I'm gone.

Life

Smash Hero
Whoa! My logic is used by Trolls?
Yeah, used to be pretty common to have people posing as new players (that clearly weren't) saying stuff like this to get tourney players riled up.
I didn't here any arguments but that there are random ELEMENTS in a stage and one argument that speed is a problem.
Remember that "playing to win" runs strongly in the Smash community. We're competitive. Competitive is when the best player wins. If one player's trying to recover, and a Home-run Bat spawns next to the onstage player (HRB is excellent for gimping recovering players), that stock was just decided not by player skill but by a totally random item spawn. Also, back in Melee, there was a huge stink when Ken (the undisputed best at the time) lost to a random because an explosive capsule dropped in front of his smash attack, so don't say it will never happen. (Although we can turn off exploding capsules in Brawl, so while it's technically possible to create a competitive game with items, it's not very popular to do so because smashers are so used to not having them and whatnot. There's an alternative ruleset called "Item Standard Play", but I can't be bothered to go dig it up now. And I personally advocate turning food on--and a couple other things--but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.)
I thought random elements in stages were what made SSBB special?
Not quite, DI, percent, and the variety of stages separate Smash from normal fighters even more than randomness. (Most fighting games have basically ONE stage, so even something like FD/SV/BF only is better.)

It IS true to a certain point that one's ability to adapt to random events can be said to be a testable skill, but this is only applicable to a few stages such as Norfair (which isn't legal under Unity as it stands, but I think it will be eventually). Other stages (WarioWare, arguably Pictochat) and many items are "too random"--I can elaborate on what this entails if you like.
Also the lack of items are why speed is an issue.
Not true. For proof, see Snake, who can generate quite powerful items at will but can't deal with efficient circle camping if the camper pays attention at all.
Where are the counter-picks?
Over there /point
There should be a serious discussion about the game that is there. The current boards have plenty of debate as it is. I don't see how playing the original game could possibly add more.
We ARE playing the original game. Remember that it gives you tons of options so that you can play how you want. We just figured out (roughly) the combination of settings that makes for the best competition as defined above.
Where are the low item, anything goes 1v1 matches?
Actually, a few tournaments do run "allbrawl" as a side event. It's popular to do for fun at larger events, but it's mainly considered just that--fun. Whereas the main event is both fun and competitive.
Take it or leave it Smashboards. If you want more talk like this, then the administrators can stand up for me when the thread heats up. If you want more people talking like inferior then I'm fine and I'm gone.
On that note, I'd like to apologize if I'm coming off a little snarky or condescending. I'm just in that kind of mood right now. Welcome to the boards, btw. We cool?

bRiMaTiOn

Smash Rookie
Where are the facts man? I also am wondering why the tournament players get offended. Are you letting the past regimen SHAPE the current times? No wonder... No wonder on everything!

I don't see how the original is losing out to a cause that doesn't ever, I mean EVER win.

Coming off as snarky and rude because you're in the mood means you are snarky and rude. ALWAYS.

Thanks for the gameplay and game theory from someone who can't figure that out.

PEACE

bRiMaTiOn

Smash Rookie
I'm out. If you want a board split up 50-50 over this instead of one or two posters who don't get it's random for everyone and the items balance out weaker characters...

Troll troll troll, none of you can fight so it's up to the boards to allow name calling. I don't know who would stay unable to swing on these rock eaters.

Life

Smash Hero
I'm out. If you want a board split up 50-50 over this instead of one or two posters who don't get it's random for everyone and the items balance out weaker characters...

Troll troll troll, none of you can fight so it's up to the boards to allow name calling. I don't know who would stay unable to swing on these rock eaters.
*shrug* Your loss. I post ~twice as much text as you do and you ignore it, it's not my problem.

Interestingly, you have a habit of saying things like "I'm out" or "PEACE!" and then staying online. This furthers my theory. (And for the record, I was once worse than you are. Funny how it is.)

Fox > MK on temple.
Very untrue. MK is clearly the better character in this stage. He can catch up to Fox in almost all instances while circling, and he can abuse his glide to shark the entire level, over and under, as well as safely abuse the ledges in this game to run away. If he were to ever fall behind on percents, he could EASILY catch up to Fox and change that.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Wasn't there a talk about Pictochat? (Probably spelled it wrong?) How was that stage in terms of being acceptable?

Stage discussion community has always had splitted opinions towards Picto.
Some think it's fine, some thinks it is not...

Very untrue. MK is clearly the better character in this stage. He can catch up to Fox in almost all instances while circling, and he can abuse his glide to shark the entire level, over and under, as well as safely abuse the ledges in this game to run away. If he were to ever fall behind on percents, he could EASILY catch up to Fox and change that.
Nice theorycrafting. My theory says that MK gets laser'd before reaching Fox.

Nice theorycrafting. My theory says that MK gets laser'd before reaching Fox.
Except for it's not based on theory. I play MK vs Sonic/Fox frequently with my friend, and this is always the case. We even money matched under these conditions, and MK won.

Fox can laser first, yeah, but MK can catch up easily since he can traverse Temple faster than Fox, and can play "keep away" to a ridiculous degree.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
^speaks many truths
i have tested this to hell and back with TWiNK, this stage is Sonic = MK, everyone else fails

In the time Fox is trying to land lasers on MK (which he can easily sheild anywho), once MK gets there he gets a ridiculous percent lead, as in, about 35%, when the crappy lasers do what, 3?

Top Bottom