• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Sprite Critique Topic

zrky

Smash Lol'd
zook, adding to what a_man said, the bone things on the bottom front look slightly misspositioned. other wise for a first try that looks great:)

sonofthesky

Smash Journeyman
In the Non-Suckyness of my moltres sprite, I give you...

^ Hey, Its not my fault it was saved as a Gif. (****ing photobucket)

A_man13

Smash Master
Start adding more to your sprites. You can't do things by recolor too often.

Interesting pokes. If anything, make sure the outlines change color as I still see some orange in both sprites.

M.K

Level 55
Ha, I made my first fusion sprite! How is it?

The fangs are a bit weird, and I think the skeleton-things on his back are floating at one spot, but I don't think it's too bad for my first sprite.
The fangs only look funny because you forgot to transparent the part between the right fang and the throat.

If you transparent that, it'll look alot better.

A_man13

Smash Master

Now presenting Mr. Tyranimime. For his left hand (the fist), I used Poliwrath.

Spriting is so fun!
GET ME WEIGHT WATCHERS STAT!

Interesting fusion. I can tel l you put a lot of effort into it. If anything, maybe fix the shadding a bit.

M.K

Level 55

Now presenting Mr. Tyranimime. For his left hand (the fist), I used Poliwrath.

Spriting is so fun!
Haha, that makes me laugh (in a good way)
You don't need to change anything. It's suppose to be wacky, and you succeeded in making it look wacky =D

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I like that lapras:) only bothersom thing is that the naeck near the middle, seems a little awkward:ohwell:

lordunicorn3

Smash Journeyman
zook, the middle one looks like it is missing part of its head, other than that those are really good
here is a "sheet" of sprites i made while on vacation
i suppose only the cloyster sunflower thing is the only "advanced" one, and it could still use some work, ty in advance
excuse the random spacing, i just take a 400x400 blank sheet and do some sprites on it

oh, and the moltres one was supposed to be a fusion of all 3 birds, but i could not get zapados (really hard to do anything with...)

M.K

Level 55
zook, the middle one looks like it is missing part of its head, other than that those are really good
here is a "sheet" of sprites i made while on vacation
i suppose only the cloyster sunflower thing is the only "advanced" one, and it could still use some work, ty in advance
excuse the random spacing, i just take a 400x400 blank sheet and do some sprites on it

oh, and the moltres one was supposed to be a fusion of all 3 birds, but i could not get zapados (really hard to do anything with...)
Really copy and paste-ish, not all that great. At least you recolored them decently.

Wosh, Those Are Simple But Amazing!
Not really, simple copy-and-paste doesn't count as true spriting prowess.

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
hi guys, this is my first EVER FIRST EVER IN THE WORLD sprite

i dont know if it is a splice or recolor or fusion or whatever it is, but its my first and im proud.

any tips are appreciated

Mewter

Smash Master
hi guys, this is my first EVER FIRST EVER IN THE WORLD sprite

i dont know if it is a splice or recolor or fusion or whatever it is, but its my first and im proud.

any tips are appreciated

Save it as a .png, first of all. Jpeg compresses and scrambles the pixels too much, making it look sloppy and hard to work with later on. Maybe add a bit more Gallade to it, and make the background transparent if you can, using photoshop, gimp, paint.net, or some other tool(regular paint won't work).
Try some of that out, and I'll check back on it.;) Pretty nice for a first-time splice.

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
i saved it as a png, but tinypic turned it into a jpeg

how do i upload it as a png?

also, how would you suggest adding more gallade?

lordunicorn3

Smash Journeyman
if it changes it to jpeg use something else, i use photobucket, its worked for me for like a year

gallade is a tougher one, because it does no really have any parts that can be easily be taken out, for example, on mine, it is really easy to take the tail off a slowpoke, and put it on something else

what program do you use for spriting?

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
for this i used paint, but i have access to photoshop 7 and the gimp

never heard of paint.net

any way to practice spriting to get better?

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
i dont know how to make it transparent, but i finally got it to upload as png

what program do you use?
gimp?
photoshop?
ms paint?

whats the best?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
i dont know how to make it transparent, but i finally got it to upload as png

what program do you use?
gimp?
photoshop?
ms paint?

whats the best?
I use gimp to make backrounds transparent.

First, go to Layer > Transparency > Add alpha channel. Then select the magic wand (blur) tool, and click onthe white background. Next, go to Edit > Clear. If a checkered pattern replaces the whiteness, congradulations, you've made the background transparent! Save it as a png.

Also, don't forget to get the white space between his arm and side.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yeah, you actually make the background transparent since if you made the sprite transparent it would look like an outline of the sprite surrounded by white/whatever your background color is. In addition with Zook's method, you can start the new image off with a transparency in GIMP. You go:

File > New > Advanced Options > Fill With > Transparency

Then you choose your dimensions (80x80 is usually good) and you end up with a 80x80 transparent box. If the checkered backround bothers you, add a white layer under the transparency so you can see what you're doing. (Layer > New Layer > Choose Background Color, then move the new layer under the transparency) Just delete the white layer afterwards and you have a nice sprite on a transparency. Remember to save it as a .png!

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Paint is the absolute best for making the sprite itself. However, it can't make transparent backgrounds.

I use paint to make the sprite, and gimp to make the transparency.

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
Paint is the absolute best for making the sprite itself. However, it can't make transparent backgrounds.

I use paint to make the sprite, and gimp to make the transparency.
what do you save it as in paint to transfer it to gimp? bmp?

i made a chao! but it is uploading in jpg also GRRRRR

M.K

Level 55

Don't copy and paste with Chao, it looks rather ugly.
Since you have such a small canvas, it would be more appropriate to draw the head instead of slapping it on rather shoddily.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

You just make it in Paint and then copy + paste it into GIMP.

As for the Chao, I'm with MK. You have to draw it on or scale it down in someway, since the sprites are at least twice as large as the Chaos. Unless there's a certain effect you're going for, it has to be scaled down.

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
is there a way to give it transperency in photoshop 7?

gimp is on my linux partition and i dont wanna have to reboot every time i make a splice

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
You could Google this stuff. It took me less than a minute to find this:

File > Save for Web > Settings Section > PNG-24 > Select Transparency > Choose other desired settings > Save

If that doesn't work, I'll have to check my laptop and mess around with PS7 to find out how to do it. I hope that helps.

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
ok, lets see if it worked...

some people are saying my sprites are all copy+paste!

how do i fix that?

hey, i just made this:

and this

lordunicorn3

Smash Journeyman
ok, lets see if it worked...

some people are saying my sprites are all copy+paste!

how do i fix that?

hey, i just made this:

and this

people say that because it looks like you just took a part of one sprite, and pasted it onto another, those are decent, but they are cut and paste

did 3 sprites, tried to move away from cut and paste

this i edited the edges to look like shaymin (is that how you spell it/call it)

this i think is the best, but came out a bit strange, had to add lots to the tail, and edit the bodies to fit each other

this is a random sprite i found when uploadng, its REALLY old, but i felt like uploading it

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
people say that because it looks like you just took a part of one sprite, and pasted it onto another, those are decent, but they are cut and paste
Yes, this.

did 3 sprites, tried to move away from cut and paste

this i edited the edges to look like shaymin (is that how you spell it/call it)
Yes, it is Shaymin.

I like it. The edges could be a little less obvious, since Shaymin's spikes really aren't noticeable at all, but I like what you're trying to do here.

this i think is the best, but came out a bit strange, had to add lots to the tail, and edit the bodies to fit each other
This totally wowed me. Blending the bodies like that must've been hard, and you didn't even just shove them together. That looks natural. The only thing bugging me about it is that there's some brownish-color on its belly, which I'd change to just a darker shade of green. If you want to make a brown belly, you should make it clearly defined, if it's blended like that it either looks like the sprite is dirty or like you messed up recoloring.

But seriously, this is amazing.

this is a random sprite i found when uploadng, its REALLY old, but i felt like uploading it
Hm, really simple but the few bits you added fit on Stantler. Those colors work for him, too.

Top Bottom