• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
And motsalogeL lets gout a whispering sarcastic remark after realizing his defeat and Sieg steps up to the to claim the Gold and the crowd goes wild “whispering ahhhhhh, ahhhhhhhh”

Now would everyone please stand for the National Anthem Planet Mobius

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Ok, let me rephrase that. As a competitive fighter, Brawl is one of the biggest disappointments in video game history. You can thank Sakurai for that. As a casual game, however, Brawl is just fine (mostly because of Sonic and Diddy).

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Its not really upgraded melee lets a tweeked melee with better graphics

Sup guys another weekend end for me to chill.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
The fact that Sakurai purposefully removed every competitive element of the smash series for his own personal beliefs. The demo of the game that Gimpyfish and Hugs played back in the fall of 07 had l-canceling and crouch canceling. Sakurai found this out and promptly removed them both. Don't even get me started on tripping. Also, how every character floats back to the stage, meaning no matter what percent they are at, unless the move actually kills them, they're going to make it back to the stage. Also, Metaknight and his broken ***. He has an overwhelming advantage over every single character in the game, except for Snake. Prety much everyone is picking up MK now because they know it's the only way for them to win. Overswarm (supposedly the campiest and one of the best ROBs) is changing his main to MK and only using ROB for ROB dittos. That's shockingly pathetic, but it's what Brawl is devolving to: MK dittos. I really hate that the most.

Tenki

Smash Hero
How is it a disappointment? Its Melee but upgraded? Did you expect it to be like SC4?
Tripping/lack of significant 'combos' due to the airdodge/hitstun system. And maybe lack of AT's.

Tripping is annoying, and it sometimes puts me in a bad position (teching mode) that can be taken advantage of by good players, when I could have been foxtrot-dancing away or something. Honestly, I have no problem with people being to escape chains of attacks, so I don't really mind the lack of true combos in Brawl too much.

In most fighting games, one opening will grant you more free hits, and if you're good enough, that one opening can cause you to have a large advantage over your opponent. In Brawl, you constantly have to searching for and creating openings. It's a different mechanic that with some 'reading' can be somewhat enjoyable lol.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Yup SiegK is right ppl complainin about brawl are kinda ponitless causes. Its not like Nintendo's gonna say hey recall on all brawls gonna make it more like melee. Trippin to me is actually fun it opens so much more to the creativeness of the game. What Sakuri wanted is to bring back the family fun thats y the cast is floaty. Its not a serious fighting game guys its main point is the same as the Wii its self fun. Thats y its considered a Fighting/Party game..., ._.;;

But yea well that my opinion feel free to disagree ladies...

Del Money

Smash Champion
Del, trust me unless you only have a Wii, there are better games out there.
LOL...your one of the last people I'd expect to be so anti-Wii. And no....PC and Gamecube and a legal commercial PS1 emulator are all I have. But yeah I agree about the better games thing....once I decide to spend some money instead of just making m bank account look pretty, Imma get me a dope-ass laptop and be hooked on Madden and Call of Duty for like ever...XD (until a good Sonic game comes out for PC of course...or til I get my own Wii, whichever comes first)

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Yeah Animal crossing, surprisingly the only game I want on the Wii is the one that has always been a casual game. But er I didn’t know there was a Wii exclusive Sonic game.

Browny

Smash Hater
omg tonight in a wifi 4 player FFA (3 stock) my sonic got all 9 possible KO's ftw... with no items

i just had to tell someone :D

thumbswayup

Smash Master
You've been pretty uptight yourself. I'm just getting depressed by the Brawl scene lately. I still play both Melee and Brawl a lot, but it's not the same. I REALLY don't like going to tournies and wondering when it is a Metaknight will knock me out. It's been that way since the beginning.

I'm not bad either, I've beaten very good MKs and come close to beating the top ones in MD/VA. I dunno, I really miss how everything was with Melee, and i wasn't even on the Melee scene that long.

It's just....Metaknight ruins the game for me. As I've said before, were he to be banned, I'd enjoy the game a whole lot more. This, however, will never happen since more than half the community mains him.

SiegK

Smash Champion
I hear ya, its like when ur online with Soul Calibur 4 and some1 picks a Lizardman, you just thinking
"****... hes gunna.." then they just roll on the ground and ring ya out.

Real lame part that they but that in so easy, but I still like playing online.
And Brawl, well stuff such as tripping, @$$holes and what not I could do w/o but I still like the game

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Yeah, I like the game casually too. I wish it weren't on the competitive scene, and that Melee was still hot. Too much **** happens in Brawl for it to be enjoyable at a tournament level. I love using Sonic in friendlies, but we all know he stands no chance at high level play, ESPECIALLY against Metaknight. That matchup is so much in MKs favor that it really is unbelievable.

It's alright though, I take pride in beating MKs with Diddy Kong, gets me pumped for some reason. It's like I've just climbed Everest when I win. That's my sole reason for continuing to play competitive Brawl, to humiliate every MK user out there, because there's no excuse when you lose with him, he's just too broken.

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
if sakurai doesnt pull a omfg what did you do kinda thing like with brawl all he needs to reunite the two groups is take the content from brawl and the gameplay of melee im sure alot more people would be happy

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
O right yeah those "Games". And what because Sakurai screwed up the competitive scene of the game is why you left? Well these forums were based on that.

SiegK

Smash Champion
If so much stuff that upsets the competitive edge in Brawl I would feel way more pumped to play others.

Also, if u were against some1 way better and could use advanced moves, u were pretty much screwed. Sakurai should have kept in wave-dashing, L-canceling, and took out such things as Tripping, Final Smashes, Made Final-D bigger ext.. Brawl would be more then just a hang out game and more like Melee felt.

But at least Sonic is in, woo-whoo

Tenki

Smash Hero
It's too historic of a thread to close though.

It makes up half of the posts in the Sonic boards (lol@ all the Sonic fanboys who don't post here/main Sonic anymore)- even more than the few threads that are focused on developing Sonic's metagame, and the others, the newbspam, and the random assortment of "attention spam" to try to get mod attention to this board lol.

edit:

lol:
Where I see the Sonic Strategy Developing Needless to say, Sonic's meta-game will improve and change considerably from here even without any tweaks to his character in the final version. I think though he will still be centered around juggling his opponent. I also think someone will probably figure out how to integrate his b moves successfully. The canceling of his side-b into aerials is promising and could potentially help Sonic rack up the percent easily in his juggles if someone figures out how to work it in. His homing attack might also be useful in juggles as well, if they aren't knocked out of its range it could be a finisher of sorts to juggle if an opponent is DIing away and Sonic has run out of ground to chase his opponent with. The momentum stopping properties of his upb and neutral b could also be used to play mindgames with your opponent.

Notes on my Sonic Playing I think I might have been the second best Sonic at the demo for Thursday/Friday. Although I played him earlier and explained a couple of sonic's moves to him, Lucky brought his Sonic game quite a bit above mine. He also was able to participate in the impromptu tournament we held, which unfortunately was organized while I was eating lunch so I didn't get a place in the draw. Part of his increase in playing savvy might have been due to him playing better players more frequently than I once the tournament started hence improving the sonic meta-game (I was relegated to stomping noobs and passer-byes).

I tended to stick to short hopping, whereas lucky used sonic's great ground speed more. He more frequently used running grabs than I did. Although he might also have been more prone to knocking his opponent off and edge guarding than I was, I still think he'd agree that sonic's upair game rocks.

I personally had some problems with defensive opponents. I got rocked by Gimpy's upb shield canceling with Bowswer in my first game against him today, not killing him once and getting killed 2-3 times (To be fair he also went giga twice against me that round). I put my thoughts together and massively improved on a rematch, only losing by a one kill swing. In comparison, Lucky beat Gimpy in awesome game. The upb shield cancelling was not a problem for his running grabs.

I also tended to use his ftilt a bit. Generally, this was pretty successful. His fsmash is much more powerful, I didn't seem to be able to land it as easily against competent foes.

I also had tremendous problems opening smash balls as sonic. For whatever reason smash ball rarely spawned on the wii we were using for the tournament which may also have helped lucky avoid the same problems of opening smash balls as I had. God must look favorably on "tournament purist" competition =D.

My playing was significantly hampered by my melee mindset, in which I expected to try for and start landing killing blows on my opponent around 100% whereas most people survive easily until about 150% in the brawl demo.

Future Work
I will not be playing more at the E for All as I only had time for Thursday and Friday. I'm trying to PM some of the better players for their impressions on Sonic, especially Lucky who was the best Sonic on Friday at the Demo.
from http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=121526

`.`;

Wow, it's changed.

I lol'd at
"I also think someone will probably figure out how to integrate his b moves successfully"

hooray, the prophecy came true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom