• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
We all wanted to see Sonic on the Wii, then Secret rings came out and I got ticked. (as most every1 else did) then Sonic and Mario @tOG came out and it was more of a spaz game, not a 'real' go getter.

We really wanted to see Sonic in Brawl, not just cause his early Wii appearances wernt that great but cause it would just be awesome to play as him in a Super Smash kinda of way. And I still love that Super Smash fighting style, sure its not as competitive as it could have been (cause of added stuff, and I take it back. Adding more to a game doesnt always make it better) or gives off the same competitive vibe Melee does. But I still Love the style, and being able to play as Sonic, Lucario, and others I never thought would have shown up, is still pretty badass.

Just hope Sonic's new Wii Title stands ok, Sonic and the Dark Knight (SDK)
Sonic Unleashed will be a tough act to follow and SDK wont stand on the same level at all, but I give the game my best wishes it doesnt turn out to be another Sonic and the Secret Rings.

chaindude

Smash Journeyman

Just hope Sonic's new Wii Title stands ok, Sonic and the Dark Knight (SDK)
Sonic Unleashed will be a tough act to follow and SDK wont stand on the same level at all, but I give the game my best wishes it doesnt turn out to be another Sonic and the Secret Rings.
well acording to sega it's a spin off/sequel thing to secrect rings so 50/50 at the moment to being good or not:ohwell:

SiegK

Smash Champion
Its a spin off yeah, but Im not so sure about it being a sequel.

Mind the words spin off and sequel for a sec:

Sequel: No. Reason; thus,
Spin Off: Yes, only by means of why he is in the world he is adventuring. Sucked into a story book.

I can see how some would think to call SBK a sequel because they both have to do with Sonic being taken in by old story books, but the controls are what really make the difference between the two.

In SBK, Sonic will be controled via joystick (not constand running, if u let go of stick, he stops moving..LIKE NORMAL), swing sword by moving the Wii remote (like in Zelda) and other then that with a few + Sword combos, Sonic got all his same tricks like he should.

So is it a sequel? i wouldnt say so. I'd say SEGA is just punning off the same cliche story line start up as in SatSC.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
HELLO FELLOW SSS MEMBERS!!!

Sonic Unleashed: Still stoked
Sonic Dark Knight: Looks better than SatSR, though that's not saying much. I'm going to be pissed it Sonic is missing his speed, though. He NEEDS his speed levels. Like, if he's running at Sonic speed and just cutting through enemies as he goes. This game can be better than ZeldaTP for all I care, but if it doesn't have Sonic in speed levels, it will be an utter failure.
Mario & Sonic Olympics: My friend bought that the other day. I have a fudging blast with that game. Sonic is awesome, Peach is awesome, Yoshi is awesome, Robotnik is awesome (NOT FLIPPING EGGMAN...), and Vector is awesome. Blaze and Knuckles are pretty cool, too.

Tenki

Smash Hero
^ Eggman's grandfather's last name was Robotnik. Therefore he is also Robotnik.

I'm inclined to say that his father, who AFAIK is never referenced to, is the Robotnik of Sonic SatAM and Sonic 1 to Sonic and Knuckles fame.

Tenki

Smash Hero
^ not really, but we all got better overall lol.
That was a bit pointless to add, Lol. And its his last name too.

Doctor Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik,
&
Doctor Gerald Robotnik (grandfather)

just clearing thins up
Oh, so "Eggman" and Ivo Robotnik are the same person? lol

I dunno XD I haven't had a recent Sonic game in ages so I don't have a manual or anything that shows Eggman's full name, haha.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah. Eggman and Robotnik are one and the same. I don't know why anyone would want to add "Eggman." Ticked off a good bit a people. Man, I haven't been on Smashboards in forever...

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Can we accept that Eggman is his adopted alias as a super villain? Maybe he just thought the "Robotnick empire" didn’t sound right.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
yep Eggman and Robotnik are the same. Actually if I recall correctly in Japan he was always called Eggman. It was sega of america that decided to go with a different name. I guess about the time when Sonic adventure was being developed Sega wanted to have everything have the same name,so they gradually changed Robotnik to Eggman over the course of the two games.

Sonic Unleashed could be good but I'm skepitcal because of the Werehog and framerate issues. The Black Night Sonic will be just as good as S&tSR or worse since it's based off of it. RPG could go either way.

SiegK

Smash Champion
SBK isnt based off S&SR, only story plot is. Game control wise, its way different. So it will be Way better.

Framerate issues? What??? The Hedgehog Engine was created for this game so there wouldnt be any of those. Where u getting ur ideas?

RPG. Bioware, nuff said.

And even though u do have a point to the Eggman history. We grew up in America with Dr. Robotnik.
Same case as the anime thing, just cause its japanese I'd rathe watch it English Dub.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
sbk Isnt Based Off S&sr, Only Story Plot Is. Game Control Wise, Its Way Different. So It Will Be Way Better.

controls Being Different Or Not,it Is A Sequel To Secret Rings. And For The Wii. I Am Skeptical Is All.

Framerate Issues? What??? The Hedgehog Engine Was Created For This Game So There Wouldnt Be Any Of Those. Where U Getting Ur Ideas?
go To Ign,type Sonic Unleashed.
Rpg. Bioware, Nuff Said.
bioware Is Awsome,but This Is Sonic And An Rpg,i'm Just Saying It Will Be Difficult To Tie The Two Together.
And Even Though U Do Have A Point To The Eggman History. We Grew Up In America With Dr. Robotnik. adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog Ftw. If It Were Up To Me,id Have Sonic Call Him Eggman Only As A Joke. Robotnik Sounds Alot Better.
Same Case As The Anime Thing, Just Cause Its Japanese I'd Rathe Watch It English Dub.
posted it by accident lol.

Oh well,I said everything I wanted to say anyway.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Well I can see the framerate issues with the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed. But thats cause its not using the Hedgehog Engine.

Sonic Unleashed on the PS2 and 360 Ftw.
Sadly,the framerate issue is mentioned in the Xbox 360 part of the site. And says nothing about the Wii. So that leads me to believe it's the Xbox they are talking about.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Werehog is fine. It's just a gimmicky new game mechanic.

The only thing that really matters is how Sonic plays. If Sonic plays perfectly, then the Werehog scenarios can be awful for all I care. Well, ok they can't be that bad, nor do I expect them to be, but my point is it shouldn't be some big "OMG ITS SO DIFFERENT IM SCARED!!!" thing.

No one seemed to care that much when it came to Link turning into a wolf.

Sonic has been utter trash in the past few years, Rush series aside. As long as they get the Hedgehog Engine right, and regular Sonic plays perfectly enough to utilize in future Sonic games, Werehog won't matter a ****.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Perfect, Dyce.

The werehog is just a gimmick for this game, not going to stay or anything. But personaly it looks kinda cool and might be a fun add.

As long as the speed is there, controls well, no ****ing lag within the level to load, and I can have fun playing each speed level over and over and over again in free play (like i still do in Sonic Adventure 2) then Im happy and this game wins.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
The Wii won't have the same levels as the Ps3/Xbox360 vesion either. It's made by another group. I forget who. It's should play like the Ps3/xbox versions but the levels will be different/likely not as cool.

If they fix the framerate and make sure the controls work,I willl be happy.

SiegK

Smash Champion
The Wii won't have the same levels as the Ps3/Xbox360 vesion either. It's made by another group. I forget who. It's should play like the Ps3/xbox versions but the levels will be different/likely not as cool.
I think ur a little mixed up here.

The Wii version is being made by a different group, but that will effect the way the game plays not the levels.

--Its the same game so the levels will be the same in all versions.
-----The change in engine PS3/360 vs Wii/PS2 effects gameplay and look, not actual level differences.

"The Wii version is gunna use full motion controls and its been developed by a completely different development team, so the gameplay is going to be slightly different."
- US Producer Patrick Riley​

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I think ur a little mixed up here.

The Wii version is being made by a different group, but that will effect the way the game plays not the levels.

--Its the same game so the levels will be the same in all versions.
-----The change in engine PS3/360 vs Wii/PS2 effects gameplay and look, not actual level differences.
This is from IGN's article :/

E3 2008: Sonic Unleashed at Night
Call it "An American werehog in China."
by Hilary Goldstein
July 16, 2008 - When we last saw Sonic Unleashed, we learned that the game was split into day and night levels. We didn't know at the time just how important a role the time of day plays in Sonic Unleashed. It's big. In fact, you could say these are two different games stapled together.

During the daytime, Sonic is all about speed. He runs more or less on rails, reaching speeds of up to 300mph thanks to his new boost ability. The gameplay is similar to Sonic and the Secret Rings, but with a few refinements. For one, this is the first game to use the new Hedgehog Engine, which allows for a graphical upgrade on PS3 and Xbox 360. The Wii and PS2 versions also use the same engine, but will have completely different level layouts.

Whichever version you end up buying, you will experience streamlined levels that Sonic races through quickly. Sure, there are a few platforming elements here and there that will have Sonic slow down every so briefly, but daytime events are all about speed.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
During the daytime, Sonic is all about speed. ?? He runs more or less on rails, reaching speeds of up to 300mph thanks to his new boost ability. The gameplay is similar to Sonic and the Secret Rings, but with a few refinements. God, NOOOOOOOOOO!
That settles it for me then, I'm not buying the game.
I'm not playing that ****ty 'OH HAI HAVE NO CONTROL OVER SONIC AS HE AMBLES THROUGH BORING LEVELS" crap again.
There was no exploration. The speed control and control in general was a joke.
I honestly hated SATSR.
I only have a wii, too :\
I daresay it's going to have PROPER contols on the XBOX 360, yeah?

SiegK

Smash Champion
That settles it for me then, I'm not buying the game.
I'm not playing that ****ty 'OH HAI HAVE NO CONTROL OVER SONIC AS HE AMBLES THROUGH BORING LEVELS" crap again.
There was no exploration. The speed control and control in general was a joke.
I honestly hated SATSR.
I only have a wii, too :\
I daresay it's going to have PROPER contols on the XBOX 360, yeah?
You people. Wow. the game isnt on rails. You can stop and turn around and walk and back up at free will.

If ur still freaked out and worried the game will be like that (which it isnt, gameplay videos shows) Then just dont buy it for the Wii, cause the controls for the 360 and PS3 are normal Sonic 3d game controls.

And btw, saying ur not going to buy the game cause how you think is handles is a very bad judge of character on your part.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
It didn't say that you could stop/turn around/whatever here and the fact that it said the game was more or less on rails led me to believe that it was going to be another SATSR dullfest.

That's nice for the 360 + PS3, but doesn't help me because like I said I only have a wii.

And that last point is just kinda...wut? If I'm interpretting things differently to you based on what small info I've gathered, I have bad judge of character right? I had the impression that it was under the same control scheme as SATSR, which to me sounds as appealing as being hit in the balls with my own dead dog.

Then, if you're sure that the wii's not going to have ridiculous handling controls, then that's good enough for me. Thankyou.

Browny

Smash Hater
Sonic chronicles is alright...

but Cream is completely broken. Ive never played the likes of SF2, but she is without a doubt the most broken character ive played in an RPG. Playing without her in your team is a death sentence (not to mention will cause you to lose all your money very quickly), and playing with her makes it possible to finish most battles on full hp, full PP points without needing to use any items

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom