• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanniah

Smash Cadet
About his recovery moves:

-His UpB looks similar to GW's, so I do assume that it will go pretty far (as shown on the picture).
-His SideB may be compared to Jiggs' B, but I think (and secretly hope) that it goes down faster. Most likely there will be less lag too...

I can't but to think his recovery's gonna be awesome.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If either one of the spin dashes comes out on frame 1 and Sonic gets Sonic Wind for his nuetral B then it's ****ing over and Sonic has officially become ban worthy.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Sonic Wind was an energy attack he had in Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Battle.

I suppose that they could have Sonic launch a miniature tornado. Very small. About his height I suppose. It could have a single hitbox property attached to it and low priority like Samus's missiles so it's not broken, but still useful.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Sonic's side B looks much faster than Jigg's rollout. The video also shows that it's jump cancelable. That move is goining to be great for tech chasing.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
I like how he has a lot of comboing ability built in from the start. If all that was programmed, then imaging the combos the fans can come up with.

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
I wonder how many people will be playing Sonic online...
Ever thought how all the noobs are going to play Sonic (no offense intended), and how it may be hard to find a good Sonic player? Or maybe the complete opposite of that.

On an off-topic note, not caring to read through 650 pages, anyone notice how Peach's bomber-move (side-b) goes a lot further in that one video...?

On-topic, in my opinion I think Sonic isn't going to be "high tier" actually (Unless it's a perfect world where tiers don't exist). More like mid or even low... Just an ominous feeling.

Button Smash

Smash Rookie
Thats what I was kinda of thinking that Sonic won't be "high tier" because of some weird recoveries and B specials. Well, his Up-B just seems funny. How is it going to work in mid air? Side-B for recovery? But there is no way of knowing yet. He could even be on top.

kaid

Smash Master
Really, I don't see a lot of killing power on ANY of Sonic's moves. He's a darn good combo artist, but he won't be able to kill anyone off the top under 150%, unless he has a foxsmash they havn't shown us.

The closest he has is that downsmash, which takes (for him) forever to come out, and Peach standing there shows the range isn't all that impressive. (it's no bowser headbutt, but, throwing a number out of my *** it looks to be at LEAST 10 frames of startup. In that time, Fox could Lcancel a drill, jump, and start drilling again, even without shines)

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Ha ha ****ing ha.

But seriously after an entire history of flame wars what compels you to actually make a comic that makes fun of Ridley? I understand its a joke but after a "Truce" thats just stupid.

Just make a comic about Sonic not about ****ing Ridley.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
kaid: Huh? The d-smash comes out almost immediately. How was it slow? Sonic had some land lag from landing with his back air, but even that was minimal.

Watch the video again kaid and you will see what I mean.

kaid

Smash Master
I see him have to reach down, then kick foreward. That's part of the animation , so it's startup lag.

EDIT: well, I saw what looked like it... pause keeps throwing off my sence of timing...

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
the moveset acutally makes alot of sense, considering past Sonic games.

for example, if you were running, and you pressed down, you went straight into a spin dash, but if you stood still, you'd charge it up.

As Sonic is a physical fighter in brawl, by the looks of it, B neutral would either be a slow yet strong melee attack, something like a falcon punch, or something charged, like Roy's flare.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
the moveset acutally makes alot of sense, considering past Sonic games.

for example, if you were running, and you pressed down, you went straight into a spin dash, but if you stood still, you'd charge it up.

As Sonic is a physical fighter in brawl, by the looks of it, B neutral would either be a slow yet strong melee attack, something like a falcon punch, or something charged, like Roy's flare.
Perhaps, though him simply throwing a ring would at least give him a projectile. (Excuse me if something like that has been revealed in the trailer, I haven't watch the video's as of yet).

-Knight

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
No, they did not show Sonic throwing a ring. That would give Sonic yet another advantage over the other characters. Plus I would spam the crap out of the rings for two reasons: 1) It would (I am guessing) make the sound of picking up a ring when you hit some one; and 2) I am a Link player that spams the bombs like crazy.

johnjoelw

Smash Cadet
Sonic is going to be Fast fast fast. He will not need a projectile, he is the projectile! :D

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
about the emerald thing, the animation for going super sonic is 7 chaos emeralds, but they created a motion blur to create 7 extra after-images. When they circle back closer to him you can see there's only 7.

I'm going to rebeat all the old-school sonic games on mega collections later

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Falco was mainly who I was talking about. I can't play Falco worth beans.... but I love Sonic and so finally I get to have hopefully a high tier character and a low tier character for Brawl. If it ends up that way.

Gooche

Smash Rookie
I'm happy Sonic is in. That is really cool.

Sonic is extremely fast but not strong...that is the trade off it appears. I believe only real skilled players who can control the speed of sonic will be successful (namely Fox players).

I think Fox will be a better over all character.

Personally I think top tier will be Meta, Pit, Fox.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Meh. I can't play Space Animals, either. I share your pain, Mrs. Buzz.

I'm happy with my current assortment of characters in Melee. Sheik (my main), Ice Climbers (arguably my second main, considering they see ALOT of playtime), Young Link (primary secondary), Peach (purely secondary), and Falcon (purely fun---er, secondary).

I'm not too terribly concerned about where my characters are placed in respect of tiers. I'm a firm proponent of player skill. If I'm better than the next guy, it's because I'm good. Tiers and character advantages/disadvantages are not irrelevant; they're just factors in the equation OF your skill. Knowledge is power and all that jazz.

I've already decided to main Metaknight when Brawl comes out (I am, unabashedly, a big Kirby fan). Sonic may or may not trump him; it just depends on how I do in matches and what meshes with me personally. Every character is going to be playtested, tho'. It's a tradition I have starting from my first fighting game (Mortal Kombat).

Sonic IS in Brawl.

Smooth Criminal

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Yes but now we will have to wait until February 10 to play as Sonic in Brawl. I am super pissed now. We were so close to Dec 3rd I could taste it...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
you guys who keep predicting tiers shouldn't even bother.

It should be clear by now that tiers can't be developed until the game has been played long enough to see how characters perform... and then there will be the glitches sure to be in the game that will get exploited... and just because someone was great in a previous SSB doesn't mean they will be in the next... remember Ness, Kirby and Pikachu.

And, remember, speed won't necesarily mean good. The slow characters now get moves durnign which they won't flinch from enemy assaults... this could REALLY balance out the tiers. Imagine the quick fox trying to smash a bowser only to get nailed in the face with a headbutt that bowser pulled off without flinching.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
As much as I hate Sonic's character these days and prefer his more nostalgic and likable character in the 2D games, Sonic looks really cool in Brawl design-wise and in terms of what he can do. Hate his voice, though, but I'm sure he won't talk too much, so I'm fine with it.

Props to Sonic fans, though, for their support finally paying off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom