• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vali

Smash Ace
Sorry Dynamism but that rant was terrible. First off, Sonic and Earthworm Jim are kickass characters. I never want to hear you say a bad word against them ever again. Using Fox as a case against Sonic is stupid, because you have no basis on how Sonic will play other than him being fast and what made Fox so broken was a combination of speed, strength, comboing and KO-ability. They won't make the same kind of balance mistake again, so Sonic will be fast and able to combo but probably not too great at finishing or dishing out large hits. Oh and Sonic is worth a lot, to every old-school SEGA fanboy (yours truly) and SEGA. Plus SSB64 was far more balanced than Melee.

I don't think anyone wants EW or Tails in Brawl (or doesn't expect them to get in) so I don't know what that part of the rant is about. However Tails, Sonic, Robotnik, Mighty the Armadillo, Espio the Chameleon, Vector the Crocodile, Knuckles and pre-voice Charmy Bee were all decent characters. The best way to view the Sonic franchise is anything past about 1999 never happened.

You don't know what the status with Sonic is, no-one does and your theory has no reasons behind it at all, you're just aimlessly ranting.

The next part of your rant I don't understand. Are you advocating Shadow for Brawl? Over Sonic? Wait scratch the 2nd part, the first part is more important. Shadow is a terrible character and it's pretty logically impossible for his fanbase to be bigger since most Shadow fans are also Sonic fans (they just seem to prefer Shadow more because they're 14 or something) and there's a hell of alot of old-school Sonic fans out there that want nothing to do with the newer games including monstrosities like Shadow. Anyway, Shadow won't be in Brawl. Sakurai wouldn't want to ruin what could potentially be the perfect game.

I think ignoring the Wolf moveset thing is the best path to take at the moment.

RDK

Smash Hero
Sonic and Earthworm Jim are kickass characters
Earthworm Jim FTW!

EAT COW!

I think I'll make a moveset for him now, even though this is a Sonic thread, and his chances for Brawl are 0 to none.

And, seeing as how it's Dyna, there's no reason to take any of this seriously.

SiD

Smash Master
Woah, Vali, calm down dude. He rants, that's what he does, at least half of it was bs anyway, just a joke. And while Sonic is obviously better, I don't see why you think Shadow is a terrible character, nor why you didn't like SA2, so I'm interested to hear why.

Vali

Smash Ace
And, seeing as how it's Dyna, there's no reason to take any of this seriously.
Well if you're going to make a big long rant about something, at least make something worth reading with valid points. A huge pile of Sonic/Tails bashing and Shadow promoting from a regular poster on the Sonic thread, serious or not, is not something I want to see. You can rant and make very good points, the whole point of a rant is to basically outline your views on a certain subject whereas I'd classify this as more of a ramble which is a term I give to big long paragraphs filled with nonsensical babble.

I'll make a rant tomorrow on the recent Sonic games, Shadow, SA2 and whatever else floats my boat. It's late here, and I should really be heading off soon so not now.

SiD

Smash Master
Well if you're going to make a big long rant about something, at least make something worth reading with valid points. A huge pile of Sonic/Tails bashing and Shadow promoting from a regular poster on the Sonic thread, serious or not, is not something I want to see.
So don't read it, the rest of us enjoy it.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yes why...?

Earthworm Jim was SWEEEET!!!!

That's first stage was the hardest in the entire game lol
I still remember throwing the controller when I couldn't catch the lever with his head while bouncing on those tires HAHAHAHAH OMG!!! *bashes head against screne*
You just have the silliest posts Dyna, and i bet you enjoy doing it too...

I don't know much from other franchises, can anybody tell me why Earthworm Jim was a good game?

Sonic 4 Brawl, Disappointed that there will be no update on my Birthday on Sep. 9th (sigh... on a Sunday:cry:)

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Without rants, this wouldn't be the Internet.

As for the actual topic of this thread, I advocate Sonic for Brawl, but can't see more than a 50-50 chance of him getting in (and if he does, no secondary characters like Tails, Knuckles or *shudder* Shadow *shudder*).
I can, however, imagine Robotnik/Eggman (why exactly does he have two names?) as a boss character with a weak-point mecha, as that would be perfect (because it doesn't work as a PC). Another easy stretch of the imagination gets a Ring item that would negate one hit. Stages... Green Hill Zone? Death Egg? No iconic stages from Sonic really come to mind.

RDK

Smash Hero
I don't know much from other franchises, can anybody tell me why Earthworm Jim was a good game?
His games were unorthodox and wacky, and always made me laugh.

Plus, his character totally owned in Clayfighter 64, so he has cred for being in another fighting game.

Vali

Smash Ace
I can, however, imagine Robotnik/Eggman (why exactly does he have two names?) as a boss character with a weak-point mecha, as that would be perfect (because it doesn't work as a PC).
Blame those crazy Japanese. I'm sure you know why he's called Eggman, but he's referred to it 'cause it got popular in Japan between Sonic3&K and SA and unfortunately stuck. Without Sonic though, the good doctor will be anything but in and really I can't see him getting in as a boss fight even with Sonic because it follows the same reasoning as having a boss character from MGS for Snake. Which I wouldn't like. Robotnik is of course more fitting and less extreme, but I think I might have made a point.

Another easy stretch of the imagination gets a Ring item that would negate one hit. Stages... Green Hill Zone? Death Egg? No iconic stages from Sonic really come to mind.
Sky Sanctuary! Green Hill Zone is as about as iconic as it gets though. There were plenty of recurring stage themes in the first sonic games though.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
i would like angel island, the stage stay in the sky but after a few minutes ROBOTNIK will appear in the backround and take the master emerald while knuckles is sleeping, and the stage will fall to the ocean a few mintues later you see knuckles putting the emerald back.

i dont know what the effect the stage will have on the players (while the stage is falling)

SiD

Smash Master
True dat, I'm just keeping y'all guessing. Oh, and that thing you wanted to do that time, it's good that you didn't do it.

Cryptic mother ****er huh?

Dynamism

Smash Lord
What does anybody know? So far everything might as well be thrown in the general publics face...PT?!?!?! Are you Serious!?!?! I joked about that for years! JOKED! Now somehow they made it freakin awesome!
I'm hoping Sonic will get a stage! Maybe for everycharacter...if you beat some new event (board plats or break targs) you get their stage...and that goes for everycharacter. Plus the stages you start with which could be like 24 or something? That's a little much!

Qeustion: If there are roughly 40 chars, how many starters vs unlockables?
I'm thinking 24 starters and 24 unlockables personnally...48 total!~!

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
maybe one stage per character, or some characters can share stages (mushroom kingdom)

@dyna, im thinking 14 starters, 21 unlockable, and around 30 stages

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm hoping at least all the franchises has at least one stage. I mean, Snake is getting his stage. So why can't Sonic have something like Green Hill Zone or perhaps (to SiD's hate) a Secret Rings stage.

Sorry SiD, but most of the stages are about more recent games that were on a Nintendo system. (ala Twilight Princess) So don't be surprised if Secret Rings gets at least a Stage representation, Moveset representation, or even Item representation.

SiD

Smash Master
I would be surprised actually, they wouldn't be adding Sonic because of his "awesome" appearance on the Wii, they'd be adding him from the good ol days where he was Mario's rival, for nostalgic purposes I'd expect an old stage.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
I'm hoping at least all the franchises has at least one stage. I mean, Snake is getting his stage. So why can't Sonic have something like Green Hill Zone or perhaps (to SiD's hate) a Secret Rings stage.

Sorry SiD, but most of the stages are about more recent games that were on a Nintendo system. (ala Twilight Princess) So don't be surprised if Secret Rings gets at least a Stage representation, Moveset representation, or even Item representation.
I'm thinking any of Sonic's updates will revolve around Sonic's Wii or Nintendo based games. Well Sonic Adventure 2 did show up on the Gamecube long ago, and the virtual console games. I would love to know how Sakurai is going to update Sonic besides his appearance.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Yes, Sonic should be in Brawl to finally, TRUELY, fight Mario!
Hence, Green Hill and Mushroom Kingdom better be ****IN SWEET STAGES!

And @WIGZ, I don't think they'll release unlockable chars before release and we already have more than 14 chars updated...if you really think so...who are the unlockables on the dojo so far? There would be 3 at least

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm thinking any of Sonic's updates will revolve around Sonic's Wii or Nintendo based games. Well Sonic Adventure 2 did show up on the Gamecube long ago, and the virtual console games. I would love to know how Sakurai is going to update Sonic besides his appearance.
Hey k!llsw!tch, If When Sonic is confirmed. WHat will you do with your Sonic for Brawl sig by Tappy? Will you ask Tappy for a SSBB Sonic User Sig? Or someone else do it?

SiD

Smash Master
Well I just assumed that "warning, challenger approaching" meant unlockable. I don't think he'll stop with the character updates to keep things secret, not everything needs to be.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
Hey k!llsw!tch, If When Sonic is confirmed. WHat will you do with your Sonic for Brawl sig by Tappy? Will you ask Tappy for a SSBB Sonic User Sig? Or someone else do it?
Yea more than likely, it will probably "Greatest Sonic user in Brawl ever, and nothing you can do can stop me, then I'll add some kick-@$$ music with flashing lights and colored smoke. Gotta go big.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
Yes, Sonic should be in Brawl to finally, TRUELY, fight Mario!
Hence, Green Hill and Mushroom Kingdom better be ****IN SWEET STAGES!

And @WIGZ, I don't think they'll release unlockable chars before release and we already have more than 14 chars updated...if you really think so...who are the unlockables on the dojo so far? There would be 3 at least
idk ike, pt and diddy

i like to set low standards, so when the game comes out and there are more characters
than i predicted, ill be extra happy

Del Money

Smash Champion
Man, I still don't know why their are so many sonic haters. Not only is he a classic, cool and a great fighter, I mean his moveset could be insane and unique, like the charge ball thing. Man. Sonic is ftw. I really do hope he gets in brawl. I'm still crossing my fingers with a strong amount of doupt.
QFT. finally...a smart n00b...YESSS
the only thing you can trust is smashbros.com
true
...and IcyDrifter...
Worse case scenario: What if Sonic isn't in Brawl?
then Mega Man nd Bomberman or else therell be death
Sorry Dynamism but that rant was terrible. First off, Sonic and Earthworm Jim are kickass characters. I never want to hear you say a bad word against them ever again. Using Fox as a case against Sonic is stupid, because you have no basis on how Sonic will play other than him being fast and what made Fox so broken was a combination of speed, strength, comboing and KO-ability. They won't make the same kind of balance mistake again, so Sonic will be fast and able to combo but probably not too great at finishing or dishing out large hits. Oh and Sonic is worth a lot, to every old-school SEGA fanboy (yours truly) and SEGA. Plus SSB64 was far more balanced than Melee.

I don't think anyone wants EW or Tails in Brawl (or doesn't expect them to get in) so I don't know what that part of the rant is about. However Tails, Sonic, Robotnik, Mighty the Armadillo, Espio the Chameleon, Vector the Crocodile, Knuckles and pre-voice Charmy Bee were all decent characters. The best way to view the Sonic franchise is anything past about 1999 never happened.

You don't know what the status with Sonic is, no-one does and your theory has no reasons behind it at all, you're just aimlessly ranting.

The next part of your rant I don't understand. Are you advocating Shadow for Brawl? Over Sonic? Wait scratch the 2nd part, the first part is more important. Shadow is a terrible character and it's pretty logically impossible for his fanbase to be bigger since most Shadow fans are also Sonic fans (they just seem to prefer Shadow more because they're 14 or something) and there's a hell of alot of old-school Sonic fans out there that want nothing to do with the newer games including monstrosities like Shadow. Anyway, Shadow won't be in Brawl. Sakurai wouldn't want to ruin what could potentially be the perfect game.

I think ignoring the Wolf moveset thing is the best path to take at the moment.
basically Dynamism got owned

Well if you're going to make a big long rant about something, at least make something worth reading with valid points. A huge pile of Sonic/Tails bashing and Shadow promoting from a regular poster on the Sonic thread, serious or not, is not something I want to see. You can rant and make very good points, the whole point of a rant is to basically outline your views on a certain subject whereas I'd classify this as more of a ramble which is a term I give to big long paragraphs filled with nonsensical babble.

I'll make a rant tomorrow on the recent Sonic games, Shadow, SA2 and whatever else floats my boat. It's late here, and I should really be heading off soon so not now.
agreed completely. i enjoyed Vali's rant like a 100 or so pages ago about why SA2 sucks, why Shadow is an awful character, and why "Robotnik" is the rightful name and "Eggman" is crap

RDK

Smash Hero
:urg:
then Mega Man nd Bomberman or else therell be death
But we can't have them without Sonic....or there will be no Big 3.

Sonic must be in Brawl. Or else, Sakurai.

agreed completely. i enjoyed Vali's rant like a 100 or so pages ago about why SA2 sucks, why Shadow is an awful character, and why "Robotnik" is the rightful name and "Eggman" is crap
Vali's rants are always winsome.

I hope they make give Robotnik his rightful, not-gay name in M&S Olympics. Seeing "Eggman" above his character might just make me snap.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
:urg:

But we can't have them without Sonic....or there will be no Big 3.

Sonic must be in Brawl. Or else, Sakurai.

Vali's rants are always winsome.

I hope they make give Robotnik his rightful, not-gay name in M&S Olympics. Seeing "Eggman" above his character might just make me snap.
Yes...but how can they have all three of them with that **** snake in the way!

I missed Vali's rants :cry:
I'll be watching for one now. I wanna see how it's really done lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom