• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
yea thats why i asked, maybe anyone that has "warning: challenger approaching" is unlockable, as for meta and snake they wont be announced on dojo.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure they only started using that recently.

Besides, Pit was announced during the original E3 trailer.
Both true. Though all the new characters had the "NEWCOMER" header above their names. Arguably similar, but I don't know if either will really mean that the character has to be unlocked. In Zamus's case I'm pretty sure it's not even possible.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Can I get a link to this? I liked SA2.
The overworld gave out story elements and gave you a feel you were actually in the world. It was far better for getting upgrades, going to new places (and having hidden emblems to find in) than SA2's "get stuff while in the level" thing and the fact you just jumped around from place to place. In short there was actually nothing more to the game than just the levels, which was a downgrade from the SA style system where the overworld actually added to the game.

While they replaced 6 characters with 6 in SA2 and put the 3(4) most popular elements to both good and baddies, that is the fighting, shooting, hunting and racing. However I quite liked playing Tails as a runner, racing against Sonic, and it was probably my favourite mode. Amy's parts were quite annoying and Big's could be annoying, especially trying to catch the bigger fish, but you have to admit they broke up the action a bit and both of them offered a different playstyle (along with Tails) from just running around with Sonic. In SA2 both dark and good offered exactly the same playstyle and so it just felt like you were playing 3 characters with more levels and that's hardly what I call variety. Also the individual (end) boss battles in SA kicked major ***, which was in addition to a better final boss fight. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hZcysdmCJdk has to be the best out of them.

2 things primarily killed it for me. Shadow the Hedgehog, namely because he's lame. He's just the stereotypical evil clone of Sonic, bla bla bla, and not only was he cliched and lame but he got a legion of stupid Sonic fanboys that humped him for being "cool". Oh yeah Rouge was pretty poor as well, but no-one likes her anyway. The other thing that killed it for me was the rankings. In SA it was enough just to pass what the stage asked you to do and you get your award, that's awesome. In SA2 however they felt the need to slap grades onto the whole ordeal and rather now than just passing what the thing simply wants you to do, you now have to pass it FASTER and WITH MORE RINGS and KILLING ALL THE ENEMIES etc. and that killed most of the fun out of it. I just prefered it when the challenge was the challenge itself and not "well, you did what we wanted you to do, but we're going to give you a C, come back and do it better". Oh and Sonic Heroes wasn't really a bad game, just flawed, and I'm sure it's better, although I haven't played it, than the abomination that is Shadow the Hedgehog.
You're most welcome ;D.

Guess it's just a matter of preference if you like a semi-involved story which actually has you running around places and doing stuff to progress and get to the new levels. I just liked the structure mainly, that's all. It's not exactly like it was _hard_ to find where you were going, but the events and the story just seemed to make more sense in the context of the overworld.

My hate for Shadow is pretty large, but the character himself, while lame and unoriginal, isn't all that bad aside from the fanboys. It's them which kill him really ;p. Big the Cat I actually kinda liked as a character, however I do have to admit the fishing was a little clunky. Still, offered something different didn't it? Glad you're in agreement about Amy :laugh:.

E102 was either the 2nd or 3rd most enjoyable character for me in SA actually, and like with many other things the transistion from SA to SA2 killed the fun out of the shooting portions with the adequately dubbed "Seg-ism" ^^. Might have to adopt that term when talking about SEGA from now on. Don't really see why people complained about the treasure hunting ones, that was really fun (and in SA2 pretty terrible level design and almost unbearable when playing as Rouge). That E101MKII was probably my favourite boss battle from SA actually, it was just really fun to play and a really cool boss design. The Egg Viper was pretty awesome too on reflection, although with the quasi-bugginess of the homing attack it was certainly more frustrating.

My one biggest gripe about SA (apart from my little Sonic Chao who used to bob around happily everywhere with a cute grin on his face mysteriously disappearing, never coming back again and still leaves a hole in my heart :() was the introducing of the nickname Eggman. ROBOTNIK ****IT, IT'S ROBOTNIK. Really does mark the point where Sonic lost it's way.
this is why i missed Vali...alot

RDK

Smash Hero
Dammit, Del, stop posting. I must pass your post count before tomorrow afternoon, for I am the true Post Count Prince, MUAHAHAHAH!

*DOES EVIL VEGETA LAUGH*

Yeah, Vali's posts are the shiz. I think we should make them one big mega-post and then wave them in the face of any n00bs that come in here talking smack about Sonic.

@Symphony

That's his original name in the Japan versions. Why they still call him that, IDK, because it's gay as ****.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I hate it when people bash a character really. I mean Sakuria (if i spelt that right) is working hard on the game, and if he makes one thing that some people dont like they all get whiney and attack it. I mean its Brawl for gods sake, it will be a great game even if there are characters that some people might not agree with.

Can you imagine what it would be like if they announced Sonic like tonight, and how many anti sonic fans would start posting threads and complaining and such. Oii.

Del Money

Smash Champion
@RDK
yeah i noticed youve been posting like a mother****er lately

The name "Eggman" was introduced in SA? I never knew that. Do you know why they named him that?
apparently the Japanese never referred to him as Robotnik but as Eggman. i think Eggman is stupid though, i really hate it. another theory states that the "Robotnik" may have been a subtle reference the whole Russian-scare thing (since it has the "nik" suffix). i dunno, Eggman sounds dumb and i grew up knowing him as Robotnik so now things are lame

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
@RDK
yeah i noticed youve been posting like a mother****er lately

apparently the Japanese never referred to him as Robotnik but as Eggman. i think Eggman is stupid though, i really hate it. another theory states that the "Robotnik" may have been a subtle reference the whole Russian-scare thing (since it has the "nik" suffix). i dunno, Eggman sounds dumb and i grew up knowing him as Robotnik so now things are lame
Well...is that a bad thing? If ya want i could go away.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
*Talks smack about Sonic*

I just want to see more of Vali's posts.

Yeah, Eggman is kinda lame. It threw me off-guard the first time I heard it. My friend called him that, and I was all, "You mean they took out Robotnik?" It was a confusing matter.

RDK

Smash Hero
Well...is that a bad thing? If ya want i could go away.
What are you talking about? Why would he want you to go away? He said I was posting like a mother ****er lately, not you, lol. And I am.

Robotnik > Eggman anyday. And if Simon Jeffrey is too much of a pansy to be afraid of offending a few Russians by making Sonic's bad guy have a Russian name (which I don't see as offensive in any way at all), then shame on him.

Forget Simon Jeffrey.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Well I am a noob to the site so its sometimes hard for me to tell if someone is just getting annoyed by my little posts, which im guessing most are. Its just hard to keep to date with this thread. You go to work and when ya come back a few pages have gone by. Eh.

SiD

Smash Master
I gotta disagree with Vali though. I hated the overworld thing, it took away from the game for me. It was pointless and boring. Unfortunately, it's back and 100 times worse in Sonic 06. ****ers.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I hate it when people bash a character really. I mean Sakuria (if i spelt that right) is working hard on the game, and if he makes one thing that some people dont like they all get whiney and attack it. I mean its Brawl for gods sake, it will be a great game even if there are characters that some people might not agree with.

Can you imagine what it would be like if they announced Sonic like tonight, and how many anti sonic fans would start posting threads and complaining and such. Oii.
The part I find funny is that...in Melee, no one seems to disagree that the game was great even though they put Pichu in it and not Pit. The same thing is going to happen for Brawl. Some characters will be generally disliked and others who are more popular just might not make it. There's always the next game...

RDK

Smash Hero
I gotta disagree with Vali though. I hated the overworld thing, it took away from the game for me. It was pointless and boring. Unfortunately, it's back and 100 times worse in Sonic 06. ****ers.
Like Sonic '06 could have been any better if Overworld wasn't in it.

And Del, I'd take Reggie over Simon any day. Gay speaches and all. Simon's crimes against fandom are unforgiveable.

Reggie is more like an idiotic little brother. You smack him from time to time to keep him in line, and all is good.

@ SiD

Have Del tell you the story of his unimaginable hatred towards Reggie.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
And Del, I'd take Reggie over Simon any day. Gay speaches and all. Simon's crimes against fandom are unforgiveable.

Reggie is more like an idiotic little brother. You smack him from time to time to keep him in line, and all is good.
QFT

We all know that Reggie probably doesn't even write his own speeches. He probably hires some sort of 2nd grader to do it last minute because that's the intelligence level he speaks on. But at least he knows what people like to see and hear, unlike Simon, who says what he himself thinks. It's about what the people want, and the people from ages 3 to 103 want a good 3D Sonic game for once.

SiD

Smash Master
Like Sonic '06 could have been any better if Overworld wasn't in it.

@ SiD

Have Del tell you the story of his unimaginable hatred towards Reggie.
Actually yes, the game would have been better, if only by a bit.

And yes DEL MONEY, tell me the story!!!

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
The part I find funny is that...in Melee, no one seems to disagree that the game was great even though they put Pichu in it and not Pit. The same thing is going to happen for Brawl. Some characters will be generally disliked and others who are more popular just might not make it. There's always the next game...
Wow almost missed your post there >_<. Thought my previouse post had been completely ignored.

Anyways aslong as King Dedede gets in ill be really happy. Dunno why i love that penguin.

And if Sonic, Geno or Lucario get in ill be very happy with the game.

RDK

Smash Hero
I guess pink is red's worst nightmare...
No, that would have to be my picks not making it into Brawl. Especially the Big 3 (Sonic, Megaman, Bomberman).

THEN I would really run away crying. After smearing Sakurai across the galaxy, of course.

Come on, Del--where's the Reggie hatin'?

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Yes Garuda makes a good point. And as for the Big 3 as Red stated. I want those three in so badly. However because of there 3 3rd party character limit and snake...we may only see two of them. TT_TT

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yes Garuda makes a good point. And as for the Big 3 as Red stated. I want those three in so badly. However because of there 3 3rd party character limit and snake...we may only see two of them. TT_TT
Hopefully at least Sonic &/or Megaman. (Sorry RDK)

Sinn

Smash Lord
The only thing wrong with cyan to me is that it makes me blind when I try to read too much of it as text. Aside from that I like the color a lot. Glowing energy looks good in colors like that methinks.

Where is Bomberman's thread anyway? I don't think I've noticed it since I came here...

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
No, that would have to be my picks not making it into Brawl. Especially the Big 3 (Sonic, Megaman, Bomberman).

THEN I would really run away crying. After smearing Sakurai across the galaxy, of course.

Come on, Del--where's the Reggie hatin'?
Weird, I took the "red's worst nightmare" post to be discussing colors. Hmm.

I'm just waiting for something crazy from sakurai, something like : challenger approaching

Roll, megaman's feminine sidekick, now with turbo-action!

I was thinking of making a petition to Sega to ask for Sonic's inclusion, but now I say **** it, let's make a giant threat letter, promising boycott of future Sega software if Sonic isn't in.

...It's like affirmative action, but for video games.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Weird, I took the "red's worst nightmare" post to be discussing colors. Hmm.

I'm just waiting for something crazy from sakurai, something like : challenger approaching

Roll, megaman's feminine sidekick, now with turbo-action!

I was thinking of making a petition to Sega to ask for Sonic's inclusion, but now I say **** it, let's make a giant threat letter, promising boycott of future Sega software if Sonic isn't in.

...It's like affirmative action, but for video games.
I couldn't do the boycott part.

RDK

Smash Hero
Here's a link to the Bomberman thread. It's made of win.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72276&page=64

Hopefully at least Sonic &/or Megaman. (Sorry RDK)
*GASP*

Our friendship is ended. Forever.

Now now, if Sonic doesn't make it, it's not Sakurai's fault, it's Sega's.
True, true. Then I stomp on Yuji Naka and all of the other fools on the Sonic Team. BIYAH.

Now that my post count is exactly 1337, which is also an acronym for "LEET", It's time for me to retire to my bed for the night. I have work in the morning.

'Night, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom