• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Yea... only someone like me should ever be able to say "stoked" in a serious conversation and get a positive and respectable response in return.

(If you knew me, you'd understand)
lol it's ok...i say "stoked" a lot too hahah
Reggie's not so bad.
you definitely did not have a serious face when you posted that...
reggie is the man, he makes 6 year olds look smart he should be on kids say the darndest things
then by your definition, George W. Bush is "the man" also
It's a long one, but possibly worth the read...
i know, that's why i read all of it. i agreed with most of it so I'm only going to comment the places I feel need commenting
On the other hand, I don't consider myself a Sonic fanboy under my own definition. A Sonic fanboy is also someone that loves Sonic so much or is idiotic enough to actually buy and possibly enjoy the recent Sonic games that consistantly **** the franchise that the old-school fans know and love. I'm talking about enjoying Sonic Heroes (I'll forgive myself or buying that because it really was the first unforgivable Sonic game), Shadow the Hedgehog (for crying out loud, it doesn't even have Sonic in it people! -_-) and Sonic '06. You could argue that Shadow the Hedgehog would make you more of a Shadow fanboy than a Sonic one, but these days it seems that both go hand in hand anyway :/. Del is so much of a Sonic fanboy that he wants Sonic '06 for the PC, so much so to start a petition or at least promote it, but I know that he's a true fan at heart from what he writes, so he is forgiven ^^.
lol, I'm not responsible for starting the petition, but yes I have been strongly promoting it. I'm a fanboy in the sense that I purchase Sonic games (excluding spinoffs) for the sake of having the latest canon Sonic title to play. with regards to seeing the enjoyment/flaws in them, I like to enjoy what I can out of the games, but I'm not ignorant enough to conveniently pass off the flaws as "acceptable". in Sonic Heroes ESPECIALLY, there's a tediousness to the gameplay and the level design that is just appauling. in fact I normally don't touch a Sonic game of today again after I've beaten it 100% and that excludes the A-E ranking system which I loathe as much as you, Vali, if not more. I am, to a degree, a Sonic collector. I don't make it a point to have all things Sonic but more like just 70-80% all things Sonic...lol.
It also managed to do things wrong. Horribly wrong. I'd never watched the Sonic cartoons so forgive me if I was late too the party or something, but loading up Sonic Adventure was a bit of a shock after getting over the "oo" and "aah"ness of the 3D graphics to realise that Sonic was in a city. With humans. In my eyes there's only room for 1 human in the Sonic universe and that egg-shaped space is filled amply by one Dr. Robotnik. So for no god**** reason whatsoever, they'd decided that the move to 3D meant getting rid of the unrealistic but imaginative and wonderful Mobius as we knew it and instead dumping Sonic in this **** city with a bunch of worthless humans milling around, driving their cars around the city in a loop. Endlessly. To this day I don't see the point to adding humans and "updating" the world to a more modern scene, but those *******es at Sonic Team obviously had their reasons. A poison cookie to whoever suggested that this time, or just a shovel to the back of the head. I realise that there were stuff like a movie inbetween S3&K and this game which introduced concepts like humans, but I choose to ignore things like that because I didn't know of their existance until recently and the fact that anything past S3&K in terms of "Sonic story" I choose, as a loyal Sonic fan, to ignore for fear of my love of Sonic diminishing should I acknowledge them.
I have watched the Sonic cartoon fully (excluding Sonic X) and with the excepion of the anime Sonic movie, none of those cartoons feature any humans except Dr. Robotnik (yes...ROBOTNIK NOT EGGMAN) and his nephew, Snively. I was appauled to find out that humans were being introduced into Sonic's newage media. Sonic X was so awful I promised myself I would never watch it , but found myself cheating and only watching like 3 or 4 episodes fully before realising that I myself was getting stupider and stupider every episode. humans in SA1 were a ridiculous and unnecessary addition, but they were never a significant aspect of the game's plot and so I could easily ignore them. it was SA2 that appauled me completely with the human inclusion, primarily the ****ing President. and when this carried over to Shadow the Hedgehog, I new the humans would probably be around for a while...
Choabreeding took one for the team.
let me stop you hre. I HATE CHAOBREEDING WITH A PASSION. knowing that y Sonic franchise had taken a new undertaking with the whole Station Square/human-inclusion was one thing. but dealing with ******** and insignificant Tomagotchi-like creatures and incorporating that kind of childish play into an action-platformer game no less
(instead of in an RPG where you'd expect it) is what pissed me off. knowing that this new stupid feature was in a sense making Sonic 5 times more childish than it already is didn't help. I purposely had to mute the TV at all the Tikal/Chao scenes in the flashbacks in SA1 just because of how embarassed I was to be playing a game in which small "happy" creatures emit a stupidass childish chant. THIS IS SONIC...NOT TELETUBBIES
Sonic Heroes did 4 things right. It brought back Chaotix sans Mighty (that's a bad thing for all those people that never played Knuckles Chaotix), it brought back Metal Sonic and brought back special stages and individual storylines (if only in the form of teams). However it also did many, many things wrong. Let's start with how it butchered even the good things by saying about the whole bad design of Metal Sonic (I know it was butchered from the movie onwards but seriously, where was S3&K MS?!), the individual storylines having the same repetitive gameplay and mostly the same levels from what I can remember or at least a very strong overlap, the special stages were absolute garbage and WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO CHARMY BEE!? I will never be able to like Charmy ever again. Ever. WHY ARE THEY KILLING MY CHILDHOOD ONE GAME AT A TIME? ><.
if Mighty being gone from the Sonic franchise forever wasn't bad enough, they now had to make Charmy more annoying than Tails and Amy COMBINED. and now they kill off Vector with that "FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM" line from Shadow the Hedgehog. Espio is property scared ****less of what tool Sega is now gonna use to neuter him also...
Right that's the good out of the way with said atrocities in tow, let's get onto why Sonic Heroes really was a pile of crap. The gameplay was the most fundamentally broken part of it since they did everything wrong. First off most of the time it was slow or when they added the really fast parts in with lots of booster pads you basically lost most control of your character (trying to steer into rings was crap) and the fast parts felt really tacked on. They also added enemies which took lots of hits to actually kill and some crappy upgrading system. This isn't Sonic RPG (which will rock), this is meant to be fast gamespeed 1-hit killable enemies that you don't HAVE to kill. The whole premise behind the game was a joke.
this couldn't possibly be any more true. being forced to defeat specific enemies to progress in the level (im most cases, these enemies would require a ridiculous amount of hits) removed the fun from playing Sonic Heroes. since when should it be a chore to complete a level in a Sonic game? since when should this chore also take 6+ minutes on average?...it's a SONIC GAME
Pretty much everything that can be said about the later Sonic games can be found in some, usually less extreme, form in the previous Sonic games up to SA. It was just a slippery slope for SEGA and Sonic Team and the Sonic franchise in general which they've just fallen a long, long way down. But Sonic will never die because there are Sonic fanboys to suck the teat of the cashcow again and again no matter how sour the milk has gone. SEGA will continue to ***** out Sonic with cheaply made games rushed out the door and continue to make money on it, the only money the seem to make these days isn't it? If any employee from Sonic Team ever cares to read this or ever has a good long sit down to think of how to make Sonic good again, he only ever needs to think of what made Sonic great in the first place. It wasn't humans, it wasn't poorly made stereotyped ripoff characters, it wasn't voice-acting or even 3D. It was plain and simple fast action, sweet level designs full of character and great controls and gameplay in general. Would it be so hard just to go back to Sonic's roots? SEGA and Sonic Team really need to do something old with Sonic and leave something new to the hands of developers like Bioware.

/rant
well Vali, I want to extend an offer to you to join Play 2 Win Forums (via my sig). we currently have a discussion going about what could make a Sonic console game. we've brainstormed several ideas and because you have so much insight about what is wrong with current Sonc games, I figured you would also have insight as to what would make it right.

Vali

Smash Ace
Glad to see you agree with me Del and I like the term "Sonic Collector". Just reminded me I was gonna coin the phrase "SEGAism" somewhere in the rant but forgot. >.< Will gladly join your discussion on the other forum though, got a few ideas to bring to the table.

Chaobreeding is something that could be a bit hit or miss I can see. Personally I really enjoyed it in the first Sonic Adventure and before my cute Sonic Chao died it really was a blast. It also helped for me at least to break up the gameplay with some more variation and give me an excuse to keep going back to certain levels and keep playing the game more than I otherwise would have (like after collecting all of the emblems). I believe there were also only some emblems that could be collected through Chao races, which is why I started in the first place. The VMU games were a pretty neat addition (which I think were lost in SA2) and really helped boost your Chao, but yeah, that's just my take on it. I can see why someone wouldn't want it in a Sonic game, but even then it was one of the better new additions. The childish look of the Chao's was fine but the sounds and graphic choice for the race arenas and stuff were more than a bit "meh" I agree. Went too overboard on the cutesy side.

Either way, love it or hate it, SA2 just screwed over everything good about the Chao's anyway.

SiD

Smash Master
Well I never used chaos much in SA1, just SA2, so I'm curious as to why you think it screwed it up Vali. I very much enjoyed it.

Also, you seem annoyed that they keep adding characters each game, but have you forgotton that they did the same with Tails and then Knuckles? And they were close to clones of Sonic, granted not as much as Shadow but still. Shadow and Silver were of the same type of addition as those 2. And let's be honest, none of them have creative names anyway.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Wow this thread went to post every 1-5 min. to hours until another post. Running out of Sonic talk aren't we.

C'mon Sakauri. Give us something! Heck even Amy's dress making an appearence will make us happy! (if not a little disturbed at 1st) XD

Sinn

Smash Lord
It would be realistic if the description wasn't written so terribly.

And if there were... a few more... of those... things... I forget what... they're called... but... Sakurai uses them at least once... in almost every post...

Oh right... it's called... an ellipsis.

. . .
"He...He's huge!"

He's done that one on TWO different characters.

Del Money

Smash Champion
In this world...where life is strong
In this world...life's an open book
In this world...where compromise does not exist
In his world of worlds, every step meets the rest
In this world...where one is all
In this world...never fear the fall
In this world...where compromise does not exist
In his world of worlds, every step meets the rest

^^one of the reasons i want to try Sonic 2006
(favorite band + favorite videogame character = teh win)

Sonic 4 Brawl

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
Nice moveset.

I don't see how Nintendo couldn't put Sonic in Brawl. There's too many fans begging for him, and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games is Sonic's ticket into Brawl.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
You know when i saw the update that began with "this world" I flipped cause I thought sonic was in the game. >_<! You know, i hope they dont use the cheezy sonic from Sonic and Mario at the olympic games. Im hoping they use Sonic from the secret rings design. Hate to see sonic look ******** >_<!

Sinn

Smash Lord
I guess I never paid enough attention to notice the difference between Secret Rings Sonic and Olympic Sonic. But then again, I don't have SR (I wanna play it though), and I've watched little aside from that CGI trailer for the Olympics game, so I guess I would have to look for it specifically.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, to me Sonic in the olympics just seems so cheezy and childish. You compare the two, and you will probably notice the diffrences.

Arcsine

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sercerfer
I think it was Yuji Naka that said he would like Sonic to be in smash, but he left Sonic team.
And Naoto Ohshima created Sonic, so he might've been the one that quoted that, but I may be wrong. Anyone know where to find the source of this?
I remember reading that quote from yuji naka in EGM just prior to SSBM release shortly after SA2B was confermed for the GCN.

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
well, Sonic will have a look in Brawl similar (if not the same) to SatSR. i mean its Brawl. the sreenshots IMO have badass graphics themselves. look wut they did to Fox for instance, his look in Command was a bit cheezy, but in Brawl he got REAL fur!!! so Sonic will look good in Brawl, along with everybody else. XD
i would also like to say to Vali and Del that i liked Chao breeding. it was fun. i ended up making my Chao into a Chaos Chao (dont get confused by the name: Chaos like destruction or the monster thing w/e). n it is wut gets my to play the game again despite attempting to get all A ranks...

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I got bored after a while. after getting lv. 99 on all of his stats, it started to get a bit boring...

going through city escape over and over again to get rings for Chao fruits... gah... it was rather dull...

IllidR

Smash Champion
i would also like to say to Vali and Del that i liked Chao breeding. it was fun. i ended up making my Chao into a Chaos Chao (dont get confused by the name: Chaos like destruction or the monster thing w/e). n it is wut gets my to play the game again despite attempting to get all A ranks...
Omg! I loved the Chao's! They were so much fun to raise, but they were so fricken hard and time committing to get them to higher ranks and evolutions if you didnt want to just let the Chao Garden sit there idly. CHAO for Brawl!

JPW

Smash Ace
Hey I just had thought.

I was thinking about worse case scenario.

What is the effect going to be like if Sonic doesn't make the cut?

At the end some of us may really not be that disappointed, but think about all of those people who submitted Sonic's name to Sakurai. All the talk about Sonic this, Sonic that. All the Mock up trailers. All the rumours people have been making up. All the questions we've been asking Nintendo and Sega and trying to find the hint.

How would the backlash end up?

Could we be looking at a gaming war?

I'm not hoping for this though. And i';m seeing/hoping Sonic is there more than ever. But i'm just really worried at the same time.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Hey I just had thought.

I was thinking about worse case scenario.

What is the effect going to be like if Sonic doesn't make the cut?

At the end some of us may really not be that disappointed, but think about all of those people who submitted Sonic's name to Sakurai. All the talk about Sonic this, Sonic that. All the Mock up trailers. All the rumours people have been making up. All the questions we've been asking Nintendo and Sega and trying to find the hint.

How would the backlash end up?

Could we be looking at a gaming war?

I'm not hoping for this though. And i';m seeing/hoping Sonic is there more than ever. But i'm just really worried at the same time.
If that happens, Nintendo can kiss half their sales goodbye.

Besdies, Sega is on pretty good terms with Nintendo. I can't see any reason for them NOT to agree to his appearance in Brawl.

Then again, gaming companies have their reasons, and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games has made me quite nervous, too.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Yeah, we have to look at this from both sides. SEGA had to get Mario approved for their game too, after all. Can you imagine what that might have sounded like?

Nintendo: Hey, SEGA, can we use Sonic in the upcoming Smash Bros game?

SEGA: Mmmm, lemme think. No. Hey, Nintendo, can we use Mario in a game with Sonic at the Olympics?

Nintendo: ...are you on crack? You just DENIED us use of YOUR character for an AWESOME title, and now you want US to give YOU permission to use OURS in a LAME one? Piss off!

At least I imagine it could have been something like that.

AAbatterie

Smash Apprentice
Even if Sonic is in Brawl, I don't think there will be a gaming war. People will still buy Brawl regardless. The only way Brawl could really cause an uprising is no online. But I don't really care if Sonic is in Brawl that much, I've lost interest in him after his games kept decreasing in quality.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I will still buy brawl regardless if Sonic isn't in. Only a person that actually enjoys playing Shadow the Hedgehog & Sonic Heroes every day would not buy it only because Sonic isn't in. But if he is not in, there will still always be that empty spot in my heart that will hurt my gaming life forever.:urg:

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
^^ Yea Brawl is on my list no matter what, but it will hurt pretty bad if Sonic isn't in. No Sonic in Brawl will be my biggest gaming disappointment forever, and I think others on this forum will be surprised. Well, enough doubting Sonic cause I show support.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Sonic and Tails will be in it due to that rumor from Melee and due to the fact that Tails is in more games then any other character besides Sonic and Robotnik.

Tails is not a clone lol, Tails flies and has different moves.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
^^ Yea Brawl is on my list no matter what, but it will hurt pretty bad if Sonic isn't in. No Sonic in Brawl will be my biggest gaming disappointment forever, and I think others on this forum will be surprised. Well, enough doubting Sonic cause I show support.
Agreed.

I'm a huge Sonic fan and will be utterly disappointed if he doesn't make the cut, but even if he doesn't that's not going to stop me from buying the greatest fighting game of all time.

And just remember people: If not this time, there's always hope next time.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think Sonic and Tails will be in it due to that rumor from Melee and due to the fact that Tails is in more games then any other character besides Sonic and Robotnik.

Tails is not a clone lol, Tails flies and has different moves.
Tails?, No
Sonic?, Yes

Tails will be more then likely a(an): 3rd Party Assist Trophy (If they allow that), a 3rd Party Sticker and/or Trophy, referenced in SubS Emiss, or no appearence or reference at all.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I honestly believe tails will be in it with Sonic. I don't expect any other Sonic Characters though. SSB seems to get a lot of characters from the past and play off past games as well as present popularity (Shadow).

My hope is that they were not serious about 1 or 2 more third party characters...

SiD

Smash Master
I honestly believe tails will be in it with Sonic. I don't expect any other Sonic Characters though. SSB seems to get a lot of characters from the past and play off past games as well as present popularity (Shadow).

My hope is that they were not serious about 1 or 2 more third party characters...
That's not gonna happen, of course he was serious about limiting 3rd parties, which means sidekicks won't be in it.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sorry, It is probable me, I am new to this board (1st day)... I post a lot when I am on but I am not on often...

I would be happy if Tails was even a trophy or assist as long as he is in games... but I have a feeling, mostly because of the Melee rumor, that he makes it.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I dunno about life, but soon after this, I'ma start playing MP3 >.>

Also, did Shadow's game even feature Sonic at all? Did it have a plot that even related to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom