• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Very true...however the reaction I tend to get when discussing Tails and Knuckles is that they are a lot of peoples favorites...back in the day. It can't be argued how awesome Tails and Knuckles were back in the day. Most people remember that too and stay loyal...which is something I have to admire. Unfortunately not everyone is like this. Ah hell...I like them all! Except Creme...her updated character is...unforgiveable!
Ha ha, At least Cream is a NPC in M&SatOG.

Pitbull

Smash Cadet
I think Sonic would be good for Brawl as long as they change his annoying voice. Seriously it's one of the biggest reasons I don't like any of the new Sonic games.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Most of the other Smash Characters either have just grunts, the names of CERTAIN special moves that they say, and/or taunt/win poses for voice clips. So even if the voice is an annoying one...it shouldn't really SAY all that much...

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
Most of the other Smash Characters either have just grunts, the names of CERTAIN special moves that they say, and/or taunt/win poses for voice clips. So even if the voice is an annoying one...it shouldn't really SAY all that much...
hahaha i beat you to it but your post explains more

sonic for brawl, every other sonic character can f:grin:ck off

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
Fox and Falco talk O_o Marth and Roy of course also do. Peach's "Ohhh, did i win?" is like the most b****iest victory win ive ever heard XD and Mewtwo talks if u switch it to Japanese (and Sheik only says like one thing). thats all i could think of now (go ahead and flame me if i missed a real obvious one).
Sonic might end up talking in Brawl as it is...hes been talking since hes been made 3D anywayz. but he only might end up saying things like "Cool!" or "yeah!" or "alright!". unless the Fox team and Wolf wont be the only ones to talk during cutscenes (if there will be)

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
well it depends...

Captain Falcon, Peach, Roy, Marth, Ike (possiby) and Fox (as far as I can tell) speak in full sentences, and we have accepted this. so they are more likley to have a lengthier speech pattern within the game

Mario and other characters tend to speak in short, quirky phrases such as "Lets-a-go!" and we've grown to accept this. however, we have never really heard them say a full sentence

Link and a majority of other characters are the strong silent types, usually only using grunts and yells. I guess that almost nobody would want Link to speak, as it may take away from the heroic illusion that we have grown accustomed to.

Sonic, I think, would do fine in any of the categories. the last two would be ok and he wouldn't need to be changed. The first one, however, could do with him getting a better voice actor. his age, canon wise, is 15, so he still has a wide range of people who could do a better voice over

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
omg...i cant believe i forgot CFalcon's famous FALCON PUNCH w/e
yea thats wut i meant with him saying things like "Cool!" i will cut someone if Sonic ends up talking in cutscenes (if there will be) and gets the same voice actor from Sonic X (which is the same d*** guy in Shadow the Hedgehog, only he cusses like some kid in 4 grade...). IMO, best voice overs were in Sonic Heroes despite most (if not ALL) the dialogue...

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
Character school

I found this just now. it's pretty good. although not entirley sonic related, I thought it was funny. it's from Rooster Teeth (the dudes who made Red vs Blue and The strangerhood)

I thought it was pretty funny

Vali

Smash Ace
Yes Tails and Knuckles both have seniority over Shadow but you seem to forget that he *seems* (Those asterixes (is that spelled right) are directed at you Vali; Don't bite me head off without paying attention to the seems in between asterixes) to have a bigger fanbase. Now whether or not that is because he is fresher than the other two, cooler than the other two, the other two have been made to look worse recently, or because SEGA seems to be putting more emphasis on him as a big player in the Sonic universe (I believe this latter reason is the main reason actually since SEGA seems to want to make hedgehogs look to be a superior race...that and Shadow being "The Ultimate Lifeform") is completely unknown as far as concrete facts goes.
*Goes crazy* WHYYOULITTLEHOWDAREYOUSAYTHAT!?...wait...*reads the seems*, yeah I agree with you. It certainly does seem that way, but only because Shadow is played up one hell of a lot more in the recent Sonic games which for some reason or another seem to be the most talked about Sonic games and also because Shadow fans also seem to be much more pronounced than Sonic fans. You don't really get a lot of Sonic fans for instance saying "I think Sonic is way cooler than Shadow!" and making topics about it out of nowhere, yet I believe that is true of Shadow fans saying he is cooler than Sonic. However if you notice where you get a large and sensible thread to discuss talking about Sonic you get a lot more Sonic, Knuckles and Tails fans than you do people announcing their love for Shadow. There are some Shadow fans (and a couple of fanboys) that do post here about Shadow, but only really in the case of the fans to defend Shadow against the haters like me :).

So then why in the hell, if you made a character who was, although lame and cliche (I believe that is how you put it Vali), still very enjoyable and quite popular,
He was only really enjoyable though because he played exactly like Sonic yes? And he was only really popular because of the reasons why he was lame and cliche.

give him a branch-off of his own when you're branch-off record is 0-2!?!?
Capatalising on the "cool" and "popular" aspects in a hope that they'll make a quick cash-in.

Don't get me wrong I like Shadow, he's cool and is the rival that I believe Knuckles should have stayed as.
But instead of developing the rival side of Knuckles like they should have, they instead chose to advance story elements by introducing new characters - how they do it in Sonic games every time since S3&K. Didn't have any beef with knuckles though because his addition didn't subtract from elements of Sonic which I really liked, mainly stuff like the emphasis on Sonic as a main character and Robotnik as the main villain.

Now don't get me wrong...he is very cliche, but come on how many characters throughout all video game and even cartoon/anime/comic/manga have had a darker and very similar antagonist (not always "bad") made of them?!
Most of them are utterly lame as well, which doesn't really justify Shadow's existance. If you already have an idea which has been done time and time and time again, that's what makes it so cliche. SEGA + Sonic Team just decided to flog the dead horse that is "Darker alter-ego!" for an easy way to have a rival, new villain, new storyline elements and someone "cool" to appeal to the younger Sonic crowd. However he already had a rival, didn't need a new villain, new storyline elements could be done without new characters but it's the easiest and quickest way to and Sonic, Tails and Knuckles still would have their cool factor is SEGA went and unbutchered their voice acting and dialogue.

~Snip - Minirant~
Glad to see someone that's played the games bringing something to the table in the rant department ^^. Something you brought up about Shadow there was the rings limiting his power, able to do many more attack moves and the chaos control without an emerald. That just makes me hate him even more, because it's obvious that Sonic Team and SEGA are trying to emphasise that he's more powerful (and therefore more badass and cool) than Sonic. Especially the *spit* "Ultimate Lifeform" tag he's got. Ever since he was introduced all that he's ever been is "HEY LOOK GUYS! I know you love Sonic yeah, but here's an evil more powerful and badass version of him that's just as fast! Love him instead! Help us sell our games by buying into his coolness! He plays exactly the same too, just with a few cool extras thrown in!" and it sickens me.

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see someone that's played the games bringing something to the table in the rant department ^^. Something you brought up about Shadow there was the rings limiting his power, able to do many more attack moves and the chaos control without an emerald. That just makes me hate him even more, because it's obvious that Sonic Team and SEGA are trying to emphasise that he's more powerful (and therefore more badass and cool) than Sonic. Especially the *spit* "Ultimate Lifeform" tag he's got. Ever since he was introduced all that he's ever been is "HEY LOOK GUYS! I know you love Sonic yeah, but here's an evil more powerful and badass version of him that's just as fast! Love him instead! Help us sell our games by buying into his coolness! He plays exactly the same too, just with a few cool extras thrown in!" and it sickens me.
Exactly! It's so stupid to try and overshadow (no pun intended) Sonic in his own games! You don't see Luigi looking better than Mario do you? No you don't. In fact Luigi has recently been portrayed like Mario's goofy and somewhat cowardly little brother who just happens to be almost as good as Mario. The keyword there is almost. Mario is still better and that is undisputed in the Mario universe. SEGA however is so stuck on trying to use the Sonic name to sell their games that when it looked like the name wouldn't sell, they decided instead of trying to just make the games good (which would have required work and time) they decided to make Shadow a renewed focus for fans.
Shadow...is cool. I like him. But I do not buy Sonic's games for Shadow. I buy them for Sonic. Which is what I should hope a true Sonic fan would do. Does Shadow have potential. Yes he does. Should it be to surpass Sonic as a focus!? No!! Have Sonic get back to his roots where he fought Robotnik and speed was the only thing that mattered. Get rid of those stupid grades that encourage gamers to kill more enemies. Sonic's levels were all about speeding through them. They were fun to blast through especially on a 2nd, 15th or 400th run through where most gamers tried taking different paths and tried to find new power ups and hidden paths. That's what made it fun. Now do we need to get rid of Shadow? No, but he shouldn't have a storyline called Dark either, especially since he's always eventually on Sonic's side. Like I said in my rant; Shadow should just be a battler. He's good at fighting enemies and using chaos powers to destroy things so why not make his levels enemy-infested and all about destroying things. Another thing that I believe is necessary is to make him slower than Sonic and for SEGA to emphasize this. Giving Sonic new or never-used speed attacks that don't require a chaos emarald would also be useful to him because SEGA's making Shadow look to powerful and thus overshadowing (no pun intended once again) Sonic. Sonic should be able to fight on equal footing with Shadow (like he did with Knuckles back in the day) but should be equipped to handle different types of levels. That would keep with SEGA's rivalry they want to employ and seperate the characters considerably. No one wants to play two Sonic's. If SEGA is smart (which I say quite hesitantly) and want to keep Shadow around then don't ruin him. Make him his own character that is in the Sonic universe.

Sidenote: For Sonic RPG, I got a sort of Chrono Trigger way of incorporating Shadow. Make him like Magus was. Magus was cool and had his own fanclub and followers but did not overshadow Crono. I think Shadow should kinda be the Magus of the game. Unless they decide to make Sonic and Shadow never interact and have the game follow 2 (or 3 if Silver's in it) different parties which eventually come together in the end. I however would not like having 2 characters who are the same.
I think Shadow could be a black (no pun intended) mage being as how he is the only one with "magic" powers. Sonic would obviously be a different class than a mage so the two would truly (and finally) be really different. Speaking of which...what class do you think Sonic would be anyway?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
What if Sonic's an assist trophy? If he is, some people aren't going to happy about this. I wouldn't like it if he is.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
Sonic will not be an assist trophy... there will be no tails or knux... shadow and silver are only suitable for alt costumes for sonic.... EITHER SONIC IS IN AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER OR HE IS NOT IN BRAWL... SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Sonic will not be an assist trophy... there will be no tails or knux... shadow and silver are only suitable for alt costumes for sonic.... EITHER SONIC IS IN AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER OR HE IS NOT IN BRAWL... SIMPLE AS THAT!!!
Ultimate Lifeform and Psycho Hog for alternate costumes, why that's pure M A D N E S S ! ! !

SiD

Smash Master
Yeah, I agree about the Shadow being the ultimate lifeform thing. It would have been fine for just SA2 I think, because he dies at the end. But of course Sega, seing how popular he got, had to make money instead of having a better story. The whole storyline of SA2 culminated with Shadow's death, which was ruined when they brought him back. And it's stupid no matter how you look at it too, cause on the one hand he's supposed to be better/stronger than Sonic, which is stupid, but on the other hand, Sonic always comes out on top anyway. So they make a character that's supposed to be ultimate and better than there main character, and they still make the main character come out on top? It doesn't make sense and is stupid.

So again, Shadow and his storyline would have been way better had Sega only let him die. Hell, it worked for Abe Lincoln. Although a giant hedgehog sitting in a chair would be kinda creepy....

EDIT: Shadowmm, Shadow was slower than Sonic in Sonic 06 btw. And I think Sonic's class would be a Rogue or something to that effect, and by that I mean a sort of Warrior that's based on speed instead of strength.

Vali

Smash Ace
You say creepy, I say GENIUS! They were never going to kill a character for the same reasons Nintendo never really abandons one, the pure fact they'd end up just having to create another one anyway. Waluigi would be long gone if it wasn't for that reason; they'd just have to create another person in his place.

Edit: @SonicRPG comments

I'm thinking it's going to be more in the vain of Super Paper Mario than FF. This is Bioware we're talking about after all, not Square. Bioware's RPGs like NwN and Baldur's Gate are more real-time than turn-based.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
QFT!

Yeah, I agree about the Shadow being the ultimate lifeform thing. It would have been fine for just SA2 I think, because he dies at the end. But of course Sega, seing how popular he got, had to make money instead of having a better story. The whole storyline of SA2 culminated with Shadow's death, which was ruined when they brought him back. And it's stupid no matter how you look at it too, cause on the one hand he's supposed to be better/stronger than Sonic, which is stupid, but on the other hand, Sonic always comes out on top anyway. So they make a character that's supposed to be ultimate and better than there main character, and they still make the main character come out on top? It doesn't make sense and is stupid.

So again, Shadow and his storyline would have been way better had Sega only let him die. Hell, it worked for Abe Lincoln. Although a giant hedgehog sitting in a chair would be kinda creepy....

EDIT: Shadowmm, Shadow was slower than Sonic in Sonic 06 btw. And I think Sonic's class would be a Rogue or something to that effect, and by that I mean a sort of Warrior that's based on speed instead of strength.
ala goku and vegeta, but your right shadow shouldve died but sega is out to make money not a good storyline

SiD

Smash Master
You say creepy, I say GENIUS! They were never going to kill a character for the same reasons Nintendo never really abandons one, the pure fact they'd end up just having to create another one anyway. Waluigi would be long gone if it wasn't for that reason; they'd just have to create another person in his place.

Edit: @SonicRPG comments

I'm thinking it's going to be more in the vain of Super Paper Mario than FF. This is Bioware we're talking about after all, not Square. Bioware's RPGs like NwN and Baldur's Gate are more real-time than turn-based.
But Waluigi is only ever in spinoff games, not in the main thing. They hadn't needed Shadow before that game, and they added characters afterwards anyway, so they could have done it. I definitely believe they didn't plan on bringing him back, whoever wrote the story, but Sega had to ride the cash cow.

Vali

Smash Ace
But Waluigi is only ever in spinoff games, not in the main thing. They hadn't needed Shadow before that game, and they added characters afterwards anyway, so they could have done it. I definitely believe they didn't plan on bringing him back, whoever wrote the story, but Sega had to ride the cash cow.
They've added new characters along the way, but no-one in Shadow's position. Shadow is still the "powerful and cool evil rival" guy. I'm saying that if they had killed Shadow off they would've "needed" to fill that spot again, because that's probably why he was created in the first place. Waluigi is a filler character and if he was killed off then they'd need to create another regular filler really.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
i remeber playin sa2 and feelin bad shadow died im mean he was such an awesome character, then he appeared in the sonic comics where he explained how he was saved and stuff which was an okay storyline for the most part but then came" shadow the hedgehog" game which was supposed to "go deep into shadows origins and ****" but insteadd it turned out a cheesey peach of ****! all in all making him an alt costume would be kinda dumb seeing how there rivals and it just would be weird seing sonic looking like shadow what would be awesome would be that one super form sonic takes at the end of Sonic and the secret rings! i think that form totatly beats super sonic form

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
] what would be awesome would be that one super form sonic takes at the end of Sonic and the secret rings! i think that form totatly beats super sonic form
what would be even better is if Sonic does appear in Brawl, while doing his Final Smash he could turn into Super Sonic and be all-mighty from then on for a little while, but yeah Shadow should not have been brought back from Sonic Adventure 2 because he's just a lazy ******* riding his jeep claiming to be "The Ultimate Lifeform", but i am wondering, would he appear as a boss in brawl? or would it be Dr.Robotnik?

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Although Shadow would fit perfectly, He's not "evil ", same for Eggman, so Metal Sonic would be appropriate. . . If the situation should occur. . .

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
ofcoarse will be in,in almost every smash parody,sonic is in,well Sakurai said third party characters would be in teh game,atleast 3 excluding snake,possibilities would be Sonic,simon belont,bomberman,pac man and mega man

Vali

Smash Ace
Although Shadow would fit perfectly, He's not "evil ", same for Eggman, so Metal Sonic would be appropriate. . . If the situation should occur. . .
I feel like killing you. It's ROBOTNIK! Got it? I never want to see you say "Eggman" ever again. Secondly, Robotnik isn't evil? Where the hell did you get that impression? Please tell you've never played a Sonic game ever again or never seen anything Sonic related. Who the hell do you think built Metal Sonic to kill Sonic in the first place? :/

agreed, since Metal Sonic is large and has been in multiple games, it is very possible
Large as in...Sonic size?

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
I feel like killing you. It's ROBOTNIK! Got it? I never want to see you say "Eggman" ever again. Secondly, Robotnik isn't evil? Where the hell did you get that impression? Please tell you've never played a Sonic game ever again or never seen anything Sonic related. Who the hell do you think built Metal Sonic to kill Sonic in the first place? :/

Large as in...Sonic size?
:confused:
E G G U M A N ! ! !
I say what I want who the feck are you ! If you haven't noticed I use nickname's alot. GET USED TO IT, EGGMAN! And as far as EGGMAN being evil, HE'S PARTICIPATING IN THE FREAKING OLYMPICS ! ! ! METAL SONIC IS MUCH MORE INTIMIDATING THAN EGGMAN ! ! ! EGGMAN'S A COWARD! So what he built Metal, Metal has more balls than EGGMAN. EGGMAN.

Vali

Smash Ace
E G G U M A N ! ! ! .
That's Hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

I say what I want who the feck are you ! .
Vali.

If you haven't noticed I use nickname's alot. .
Never seen you before, so no.

And as far as EGGMAN being evil, HE'S PARTICIPATING IN THE FREAKING OLYMPICS ! ! ! .
Oh wow, gee, that's canon Sonic. I forgot about that. Surely he can't be evil at all.

METAL SONIC IS MUCH MORE INTIMIDATING THAN EGGMAN ! ! ! .
Is your opinion, and doesn't make Robotnik any less evil.

EGGMAN'S A COWARD!.
Which make's him less evil...how?

So what he built Metal, Metal has more balls than EGGMAN.
1) Robots don't have "balls", 2) Having balls doesn't make you evil, 3) Metal Sonic having "balls" doesn't make Robotnik any less evil

@Gigakoopa I don't see anything but I've assumed you linked to the final boss of Sonic Heroes. Metal Sonic happens to be the robot that transforms into that big thing. I also very so much doubt that we'll ever see that "form" of Metal Sonic ever again. Metal Sonic has appeared in quite a few Sonic games and every time in the "around Sonic" category of height.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Ya know Vali, I was going to respond to him about the being evil thing, but you kind of said everything I was going to say both times. Gee, way to let ME play too. Thanks a LOT.

But on a more serious note, Eggman is a Japanese goof ball; Robotnik is an American hard *** villain. They way they made him look in the cartoons even seemed more aggressive than Eggman is portrayed, it seems. Therefore I must conclude...they are two different people. A case of mistaken identity.

>.>

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
"Eggman" is considered as Sonic's Rival, as "Robotnik" is considered Sonic's Arch-Enemy so yea there's a huge diference betwwen the two

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
The name "Eggman" refers to a fool of a doctor who everyone makes fun of and deems a joke.

The name "Robotnik" refers to an evil doctor bent on world domination and total robot conversion of all living things.

If you notice...the name changed once Sonic's (I hate to call them this) "Glory Days" ended and his new...while interesting and somewhat bold...3D era began.

Therefore there is clearly a distinction between Robotnik and Eggman. If you would like to use Eggman than keep in mind that you are insulting the "good" doctor and referring to his recent participation in these not-so-stellar new-age Sonic games.

I of course refer to him as Robotnik. He was once quite the "bad guy," but as of recent Doctor Evil has kicked him out of the EVIL MEDICAL CLUB:laugh:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Whoa whoa hold on a sec. Why are we talking about a nearly 9 year old debate of Eggman Vs. Robotnik? Seriously what is the point. And you know, Sonic series wasn't the only one tha tchanged a character's name. Don't forget how Princess Toadstool was changed to Princess Peach. Perhaps it is a bad example, but they may have a changed "Robotnik"s name to "Eggman" in order to follow Nintendo in the what i call the Segtendo war. Which IMO was the longest and most serious rivalry that not everyone has been completely cured of. It lasted from 1991-2001. Close to 10 years, and in some neighborhoods we still may have some Sega fans & Nintendo fans eyeing eachother like 2 cowboys in a duel. We're in the post war of it. And the treaty comes in the form of M&SatOG & Sonic's possibility in Brawl.

SiD

Smash Master
Seriously, you all talk like it was different games that they were in, but as I'm sure you know Eggman was always his name in japan. Sure, it sucks that they made it different in the first place, but they did, and wanted to rectify that. Deal with it.

Vali

Smash Ace
Seriously, you all talk like it was different games that they were in, but as I'm sure you know Eggman was always his name in japan. Sure, it sucks that they made it different in the first place, but they did, and wanted to rectify that. Deal with it.
He's not wrong. I'm not sure if what they did was the right way of solving the problem but oh well.

@SonicMario

Considering your user name, I find it quite ironic that it should be you that is bringing up the SEGA/Nintendo war. ;p

SonicMario

Smash Master
He's not wrong. I'm not sure if what they did was the right way of solving the problem but oh well.

@SonicMario

Considering your user name, I find it quite ironic that it should be you that is bringing up the SEGA/Nintendo war. ;p
hey what i can say? I'm a fan of both franchises. Although i was with Mario longer then Sonic. I have no favorite in terms of franchises. I was a mario fan since 1998, and i was a sonic fan since 2001/2002. And at the times before i became a fan of Sonic, i never knew Sonic had a rivalry with Mario or did i know Sonic even existed i must admit. If you asked me from 1998-2000 who Sonic the hedgehog was, i would have no clue who or what your talking about. But if you were to ask me about Mario, i would know. The segtendo war is nothing i have seriously experienced, but i was undeniably but unknowingly a part of. And i have heard what things went on between them, so i know most of it. Many of the other regulars may have seen the "war" more while it was still hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom