• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice
wrong...Sega not being ******** will get me out of this "funk"
youre gonna be pretty funky for a long time to come then if Sonic isnt in Brawl...
i wish Nintendo would just buy Sega already...
its almost like Sega refuses to put effort into Sonic games...
i really hope the new Nights game doesnt end up like Sonic Heroes...
somebody is gonna flame me just for putting that idea into their head...

RDK

Smash Hero
wrong...Sega not being ******** will get me out of this "funk"
You're going to be in that funk for a while, my friend.

And as for making a cartoon / anime with Mario and Sonic--I think that they should just leave that area well enough alone. Both characters had good, long-running tv shows at one point and one time. The last thing we need now is 4kids to go in and piss on everything.

Vali

Smash Ace
no they dont.

they need a sonic game with ALL characters in it....like sonic universe or sumthin :)
I could tell you a lot of Sonic characters that need stabbing in the head, repeatedly, with rusty knives. Here's a hint: "Anything after Knuckles Chaotix, but including Charmy Bee". They need to wipe the floor of those cretins, get rid of the rediculous humans and only keep Robotnik, who at all times should be referred to as such and not stupid "Eggman".

Sonink

Smash Journeyman
I could tell you a lot of Sonic characters that need stabbing in the head, repeatedly, with rusty knives. Here's a hint: "Anything after Knuckles Chaotix, but including Charmy Bee". They need to wipe the floor of those cretins, get rid of the rediculous humans and only keep Robotnik, who at all times should be referred to as such and not stupid "Eggman".
Well, if by humans you mean Chris/Old Guy/etc.

The overlanders have every right to continue existing, but they should stay on the sidelines where they belong.

Also, Amy needs to go away.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I think Amy deserves to stay, but she needs to stop being more important than Tails and Knuckles.

And Knuckles needs to start caring about his ****ing job again (Honestly, Knux, how is that Master Emerald doing?)

Del Money

Smash Champion
no they dont.

they need a sonic game with ALL characters in it....like sonic universe or sumthin :)
im gonna assume you took one too many shots of Cuervo before posting that
The last thing we need now is 4kids to go in and piss on everything.
and worse...the idiots who like the stuff instead of just flushing the toiley
ah welocme back, Vali. its good to see our hatred of the term "Eggman" is still as strong as ever

SonicMario

Smash Master
Getting rid of Amy? As awesome as that sounds. it won't happen. Amy is in actuality been around longer then Knuckles. Amy came November 1993 (In U.S.), Knuckles came February 1994. So saying Amy needs to go, is almost like saying Knuckles needs to go.

RDK

Smash Hero
I think Amy deserves to stay, but she needs to stop being more important than Tails and Knuckles.

And Knuckles needs to start caring about his ****ing job again (Honestly, Knux, how is that Master Emerald doing?)
This all ties in with the fact that SEGA is abandoning Sonic's roots and trying to catch the attention of "modern" gamers, a.k.a. everyone who plays GTA. Shadow's franchise will continue to grow, and Knuckles / Tails will slowly be pushed to lesser and lesser importance.

Anyone notice how they keep making up new characters in every single game, that we never see again in another one?

Cenedar

Smash Ace
I think that seems a little harsh, but I see where you're coming from. I don't really give a flying leap about Vector or Espio, but everytime I hear Charmy speak I wanna punch a baby. In fact, alot of the voice acting from 4Kids makes me want to break things. I also wouldn't mind getting rid of Silver the Hedgehog. Seriously, Sonic already has one "dark clone" of sorts. I'll take Chaos Control over telekinesis any day.

Tails are Knuckles can stay playable in games, but apart from them, Sonic should be the only, and I mean ONLY playable character in any "traditional" style Sonic game. I don't have a problem with Amy staying, I actually don't quite understand what the problem is some people have with her... but whatever.

As long as Shadow doesn't try to use guns again, I might be okay with playing as him again. I actually thought he was kinda cool before SEGA decided to make him completely emo and ruin him in an attempt to "make a Sonic character bad***". Sonic was bad*** enough already.

I use both Robotnik and Eggman. Although Robotnik does sound slightly more sinister.

Vali

Smash Ace
Well, if by humans you mean Chris/Old Guy/etc.

The overlanders have every right to continue existing, but they should stay on the sidelines where they belong.

Overlanders?

OVERLANDERS!?

Madness! THIS. IS. MOBIUS!

There shouldn't be any "overlanders" on Mobius, there should be Robotnik and a bunch of animals which just happen to include Sonic and the Gang. There should be no sidelines. Or at least they shouldn't be *sigh*. I wish they'd just keep the plot simple and not try and include humans.

Amy does need to go though. She's just annoying. Very, very annoying. If only there were prisons on Mobius, they could throw her in there for being a wacked out stalker, or even a mental institution. Hell if they hadn't have given Charmy Bee a voice that makes me cringe to the bottom of my Sonic-loving soul I wouldn't mind him staying. SEGA just need to pass an anullment on the past 10 years of ****** the Sonic franchise and act like nothing happened. Go on SEGA, we'll hush up if you bring back classic Sonic. We promise.

ah welcome back, Vali. its good to see our hatred of the term "Eggman" is still as strong as ever
Amy really hasn't done anything "deserving" to stay. She doesn't do anything for the franchise other than promote a bunch of negative stereotypes and be a chore to play as in every Sonic game she's in (at least Sonic Adventure and Heroes).

By the way, intelligent Sonic posts? Yes, it is good to be back :). Don't post in here often enough :(.

Flying Pig

Smash Cadet
Ok if sonic is in brawl am I going to be the only one that dose not care. i mean a lot of people seem to be like saying i will be mad is sonics in!! What i am tryin to say dose it matter if he is in or not? Really I will not care if he is in or not.

RDK

Smash Hero
I actually thought he was kinda cool before SEGA decided to make him completely emo and ruin him in an attempt to "make a Sonic character bad***". Sonic was bad*** enough already.
This is exactly what I mean. Classic characters from a good franchise already have a sense of "bad-assity" to them. When franchise owners make games that try to "cool-ize" the characters (craps on Act Zero), then it just doesn't come off right.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Quick question...this Best Buy ad with Sonic promoted for Brawl? This is the first place I've heard about it...has anyone actually seen it?

Honestly...I didn't have a problem with the adding of characters until the whole "let's add a new character who'll never be seen again" thing started. Seriously...character DEVELOPMENT is a GOOD thing. Ya can't do that if the character vanishes after one game.

Though on a related note, they could have a lot of them show up in that RPG Sonic is going to be in...

SonicMario

Smash Master
Ok if sonic is in brawl am I going to be the only one that dose not care. i mean a lot of people seem to be like saying i will be mad is sonics in!! What i am tryin to say dose it matter if he is in or not? Really I will not care if he is in or not.
Sure i will be mad if Sonic isn't in. But that isn't big enough to stop me from BUYING the game. Besides, it will then have someone else as that 3rd Party spot. Megaman maybe. But it would really suck. And i hope it doesn't happen.

Sonic 4 Brawl, Please at least give us an item, music, or a stage hint soon please. (Like Power Ring, Act Zone Clear, or Green Hill Zone)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Amy really hasn't done anything "deserving" to stay. She doesn't do anything for the franchise other than promote a bunch of negative stereotypes and be a chore to play as in every Sonic game she's in (at least Sonic Adventure and Heroes).
I see her as a ddeserving character purely because she fills a role that no other character does. She's Sonic's love interest (well, not quite. The romance is a bit one-sided, but you get what I mean), she's got a personality unique from the other characters, and. . . well, really, I think we need some kind of character like her. Someone's gotta rep the ditsy girls.

I'm perfectly fine with her remaining an NPC, but I think she fills a niche in the Sonic universe.

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
I think that seems a little harsh, but I see where you're coming from. I don't really give a flying leap about Vector or Espio, but everytime I hear Charmy speak I wanna punch a baby. In fact, alot of the voice acting from 4Kids makes me want to break things. I also wouldn't mind getting rid of Silver the Hedgehog. Seriously, Sonic already has one "dark clone" of sorts. I'll take Chaos Control over telekinesis any day.

Tails are Knuckles can stay playable in games, but apart from them, Sonic should be the only, and I mean ONLY playable character in any "traditional" style Sonic game. I don't have a problem with Amy staying, I actually don't quite understand what the problem is some people have with her... but whatever.

As long as Shadow doesn't try to use guns again, I might be okay with playing as him again. I actually thought he was kinda cool before SEGA decided to make him completely emo and ruin him in an attempt to "make a Sonic character bad***". Sonic was bad*** enough already.

I use both Robotnik and Eggman. Although Robotnik does sound slightly more sinister.
Thank You! You ever play Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)? The way Shadow played in that game should've been the way he played in Shadow the Hedgehog. Don't get me wrong...I understand SEGA wanted to show that Shadow is not above killing but they could've showed us that in a cinema, not be ruining the tried and tested platforming that the Sonic franchise has been famous for. He doesn't need guns and vehicles...He's the ULTIMATE LIFEFORM for crying out loud!!

And as for Sonic...I seriously think SEGA has tried to hard to make him look cool. In his 2D days no one would dare think of calling Sonic a dork. He was cool and there were no if ands or buts about it. Now though...He's got that dorky, annoying voice and tries so hard to be cool that he's just not anymore. You know we can complain all we want about Nintendo never having mario or link talk but hell, it probably helped them in the long run. If Sonic could just stop talking like a dork he'd be way cooler.

BTW I love Sonic and 90% of his games...so don't flame me. I just can't stand his voice and how he isn't the Sonic I worshipped back in the 90's.

Vali

Smash Ace
I see her as a ddeserving character purely because she fills a role that no other character does. She's Sonic's love interest (well, not quite. The romance is a bit one-sided, but you get what I mean), she's got a personality unique from the other characters, and. . . well, really, I think we need some kind of character like her. Someone's gotta rep the ditsy girls.

I'm perfectly fine with her remaining an NPC, but I think she fills a niche in the Sonic universe.
There's "Love Interest", and there is "Madly Obsessed Stalker who won't take a hint, or a definite NO, or a GTFO" the latter of which I don't think necessarily needs to be filled. Her entire personality, or at least what I can remember, revolves around saying "Where's my Sonic?", "Marry me Sonic!", "Sonic I watch you while you sleep." and "Look, here are some photos I took.". She's definitely filling a role no other character does there.

I don't see why ditsy girls need to be represented. What's wrong with cutting Amy if it gets rid of any negative stereotypes that she comes with, or at least I see in her. If SEGA cut Amy I'd have no gripe with the introduction of a decent female role-model with a 2-way love interest that was a really well designed character. No problems whatsoever, but Amy in my opinion isn't a well designed character and her personality does nothing to credit the franchise.

Meh about Green Hill Zone as a stage. I'd much prefer Sky Sanctuary with collapsable walkways, swinging spike platforms and clouds to jump on all the while it moved. I think having a battle against Super Metal Sonic (you know, the design when Metal Sonic was still utterly badass and then he goes super using the master emerald) would be asking too much for adventure mode, but we can hope? Right? I mean, the entire stage could be recreated for some awesome old school Sonic on Brawl.

By the way you should be able to download (from http://s3k.ocremix.org) something called "Project Chaos" which was a compilation of S3&K music remixed by different people the majority of which kick major ***. I definitely recommend the Sky Sanctuary music remix named "Breathtaking Vision" and I defy anyone to say that it wouldn't befit the epicness of Brawl.

You can thank me later. Wait, na, thank me now :chuckle:. Prepare to take a few more than welcome trips down memory lane. Hell, SEGA needs to buy these guys out, use their soundtrack in a complete next-gen remake of S3&K which touches none of the gameplay but instead just updates the graphics to crisp and stellar quality.

EDIT@Del Money

A new voice, a new personality and preferably a better design. In other words, a complete overhaul whereby we'd probably only recognise her by her dental records. The "better design" makeover isn't really all that necessary compared to the first 2 but I'd still like to see it done.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Thank You! You ever play Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)? The way Shadow played in that game should've been the way he played in Shadow the Hedgehog. Don't get me wrong...I understand SEGA wanted to show that Shadow is not above killing but they could've showed us that in a cinema, not be ruining the tried and tested platforming that the Sonic franchise has been famous for. He doesn't need guns and vehicles...He's the ULTIMATE LIFEFORM for crying out loud!!

And as for Sonic...I seriously think SEGA has tried to hard to make him look cool. In his 2D days no one would dare think of calling Sonic a dork. He was cool and there were no if ands or buts about it. Now though...He's got that dorky, annoying voice and tries so hard to be cool that he's just not anymore. You know we can complain all we want about Nintendo never having mario or link talk but hell, it probably helped them in the long run. If Sonic could just stop talking like a dork he'd be way cooler.

BTW I love Sonic and 90% of his games...so don't flame me. I just can't stand his voice and how he isn't the Sonic I worshipped back in the 90's.
Personally, Ryan D>Jason G

Del Money

Smash Champion
Isn't this a discussion about Sonic in Brawl aznd not SEGA's issues?
Sega's issues = Sonic not in brawl
Lol Del, you been watching Super Mario Bros. Z?
not much but i did see one episode so i think ill probably watch the 1-6 marathon tonight or something

@Vali
would you think any different if Amy's voice actor was better? perhaps if she had a "sexier" voice?

Personally, Ryan D>Jason G
personally, they both suck

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
sky sanctuary is pretty cool idea, it was one of my favorite levels. I dont want to be to much like pit's stage.

Edit: btw theres already a love interest in the game. Big boobs....I mean rouge she has a thing for everyone

SonicMario

Smash Master
sky sanctuary is pretty cool idea, it was one of my favorite levels. I dont want to be to much like pit's stage.

Edit: btw theres already a love interest in the game. Big boobs....I mean rouge she has a thing for everyone
Actually, now that you reminded me of Rouge. I think that Rouge is more of a stereotypical ditz girl then Amy is.

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice
Meh about Green Hill Zone as a stage. I'd much prefer Sky Sanctuary with collapsable walkways, swinging spike platforms and clouds to jump on all the while it moved. I think having a battle against Super Metal Sonic (you know, the design when Metal Sonic was still utterly badass and then he goes super using the master emerald) would be asking too much for adventure mode, but we can hope? Right? I mean, the entire stage could be recreated for some awesome old school Sonic on Brawl.

By the way you should be able to download (from http://s3k.ocremix.org) something called "Project Chaos" which was a compilation of S3&K music remixed by different people the majority of which kick major ***. I definitely recommend the Sky Sanctuary music remix named "Breathtaking Vision" and I defy anyone to say that it wouldn't befit the epicness of not only Brawl.

You can thank me later. Wait, na, thank me now :chuckle:. Prepare to take a few more than welcome trips down memory lane. Hell, SEGA needs to buy these guys out, use their soundtrack in a complete next-gen remake of S3&K which touches none of the gameplay but instead just updates the graphics to crisp and stellar quality.
everything you just said in that passage was truly beautiful...
i mean it, i really do...
i always that Sky Sanctuary would make an awesome course in Brawl...
and Breathtaking Vision is one of the most played songs on my iPod...
i would cry with joy if they developed a next-gen remake of S3&K...
its one of my all-time favorite games...
but ive heard rumours that they are gonna remake Sonic 2 instead...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
There's "Love Interest", and there is "Madly Obsessed Stalker who won't take a hint, or a definite NO, or a GTFO" the latter of which I don't think necessarily needs to be filled. Her entire personality, or at least what I can remember, revolves around saying "Where's my Sonic?", "Marry me Sonic!", "Sonic I watch you while you sleep." and "Look, here are some photos I took.". She's definitely filling a role no other character does there.

I don't see why ditsy girls need to be represented. What's wrong with cutting Amy if it gets rid of any negative stereotypes that she comes with, or at least I see in her. If SEGA cut Amy I'd have no gripe with the introduction of a decent female role-model with a 2-way love interest that was a really well designed character. No problems whatsoever, but Amy in my opinion isn't a well designed character and her personality does nothing to credit the franchise.
True enough, they could include more of a sophisticated female into the series, but I don't see that as a reason to get rid of Amy (although, then we'd just be adding even more characters). I guess ditsy girls don't need to be represented, but neither do geeks, brawny guys, or. . . "independent women" (Tails, Knuckles, and Rouge, respectively). They're all just stereotypes when you break them down. I guess I'm just not as annoyed by Amy as most are. I mean yeah, most of her personality seems to manifest in the form of a neon sign that reads "I want Sonic inside me", but behind all that, I've also seen some genuinely respectable parts of her. To me, she's fairly likable.

All that said, she still needs to make way for Tails and Knuckles a bit more. I think her role in Sonic '06 is a bit bigger than she deserves.

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
everything you just said in that passage was truly beautiful...
i mean it, i really do...
i always that Sky Sanctuary would make an awesome course in Brawl...
and Breathtaking Vision is one of the most played songs on my iPod...
i would cry with joy if they developed a next-gen remake of S3&K...
its one of my all-time favorite games...
You say that like its a bad thing. Sonic 2 was awesome! Don't get me wrong so was Sonic 3 and Knuckles but I couldn't stand the final stage! Yeah it was kinda cool but it was really easy...being as how you couldn't get hurt. In Sonic 2 though...one hit and that was it. That boss was sweet!

Del Money

Smash Champion
btw theres already a love interest in the game. Big boobs....I mean rouge she has a thing for everyone
no, you friggin hootinanny. you havent been paying attention at all. Rouge is Knuckles reluctant but unsubtle love interest
i heard those rumor too and theyve been proven false

Vali

Smash Ace
True enough, they could include more of a sophisticated female into the series, but I don't see that as a reason to get rid of Amy (although, then we'd just be adding even more characters). I guess ditsy girls don't need to be represented, but neither to geeks, brawny guys, or. . . "independent women" (Tails, Knuckles, and Rouge, respectively). They're all just stereotypes when you break them down. I guess I'm just not as annoyed by Amy as most are. I mean yeah, most of her personality seems to manifest in the form of a neon sign that reads "I want Sonic inside me", but behind all that, I've also seen some genuinely respectable parts of her. To me, she's fairly likable.

All that said, she still needs to make way for Tails and Knuckles a bit more. I think her role in Sonic '06 is a bit bigger than she deserves.
Tails shouldnt be geeky. I like the personality that he's the younger best friend of Sonic, looks up to him as a hero and wants to be like him etc. and in the vague storyline he always tries his hardest to help out and manages to succeed at points that make him involving in the story. Knuckles is the bad guy used and abused that has turned good, the cool arrogant (brawny) rival to Sonic that's a loyal guardian to the Master Emerald etc.

Both have a lot going for them, a lot of potential to make an engaging storyline if the writers of Sonic hadn't taken 5 stupid bricks to the head. Rouge though? Who is that? I refuse to acknowledge anything "storywise" and character introductions pretty much past Sonic Adventure, but that's only because I quite like E-102 Gamma. Everything else storywise in SA is an utter abomination, despite it being a great game.

It's hard not to make characters out of stereotypes since you probably remember that they seem to be all the rage and to be honest it's really quite hard to make characters with new concepts because everything has been pretty much done before. I'm not worried about stereotypes in storytelling because they can be used well, it's negative stereotypes and bad use of them that is particularly annoying. There'd be nothing wrong to changing Amy's personality to a stereotype that was good and they implemented it effectively to make Amy have an impact on the story like the inclusion of Knuckles and Tails does.

I'm also thankful I've never played the abomination of a game that is Sonic '06. I don't need to play it to know how terrible it is, any Sonic game which gets reviews of <5 score with the current standard of Sonic games CAN'T be good.

@I Like Smash...

Thank you :). It is great to not only have someone who knows of Project Chaos but also appreciates the awesomeness of it and to top it off holds my own interests in S3&K and Sky Sanctuary at heart.

@Del Money

Followed that link? Downloaded any Mp3s yet? Do it now!

Sinn

Smash Lord
She's got a personality unique from the other characters, and. . . well, really, I think we need some kind of character like her. Someone's gotta rep the ditsy girls.
Speaking of which, Peach in Melee pissed me off for this very reason. "Ohhhh, did I win?" She has this awesomely strong personality in Paper Mario, but get her into a fighting game and suddenly for some reason she's a total air head.

Actually, now that you reminded me of Rouge. I think that Rouge is more of a stereotypical ditz girl then Amy is.
I wouldn't classify Rouge as a ditz. Maybe a tramp, but not a ditz. She seemed pretty intelligent in Sonic Adventure 2...

PS: I already have Project Chaos downloaded. I'm actually listening to some of it on loop right now >.>

Del Money

Smash Champion
@Vali
dont worry, man. im on those downloads like stank on a homeless guy. these look awesome, cant wait to hear em. Sonic 3 & Knuckles kicked total balls in the music department

@WIGZ
yeah the Jynx thig was unsubtle. or how about friggin Mr. Popo from DBZ?

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
@Vali
dont worry, man. im on those downloads like stank on a homeless guy. these look awesome, cant wait to hear em. Sonic 3 & Knuckles kicked total balls in the music department

@WIGZ
yeah the Jynx thig was unsubtle. or how about friggin Mr. Popo from DBZ?
yea i was gonna mention him but i decided not to because we were talking about video game stereotypes

SiD

Smash Master
I'm also thankful I've never played the abomination of a game that is Sonic '06. I don't need to play it to know how terrible it is, any Sonic game which gets reviews of <5 score with the current standard of Sonic games CAN'T be good.
Well honestly, I think reviewers are biased to Sonic today because they expect a bad game so they see it as worse than it is. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't reccommend Sonic 06, but I did enjoy it and I know it's at least somewhat better than the reviews say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom