• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
It's not any sign at all really, it was never a question of whether Nintendo and Sega could cooperate, it's just a question of will they for Brawl. M&S means nothing.
if they couldnt cooperate then there would of never been any sonic games for the nintendo systems

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see an argument for it as a bad thing. I mean, not only would both titles hype eachother and boost sales, but once people take home "Illogic at the Olympics" and realize how much it sucks, they're gonna want Sonic vs. Mario in a decent game.

Two weeks later, BLAM!

so how could it be bad?

edit: people posted reasons while I was constructing this epic post. Hmm, I guess I could see SEGA wanting the only S&M (hee hee) games, but not including Sonic would be just another suicide among the many that SEGA has made during its lackluster attempts in the industry.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
@del

If the japanese get their brawl on before check to see if sonic makes brawl.....(spoil the surprise)
but dont tell me.

btw i think del may be right about sonic not being in brawl because of MaS
(Sega probably thinks that it would be a smart buisness decision)

Del Money

Smash Champion
Heheh, ok, but can I at least try mine out first?
*** no, wheres your American pride dammit?
Del, does the existence of this M&S game make you more or less confident of Sonic appearing in Brawl? I can't really tell. I thought it was a good sign, but you're starting to make me wonder.
yeah it scares the living balls out of me. ok heres the deal:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is conveniently announced while Sonic hype for brawl was high now. we had heard Sakurai had contacted Sega and was awaiting a verdict. Mario & Sonic at the Olympics Games showed that Sega is not opposed to putting Sonic and Mario in a game together. so it showed that Sega shouldnt be opposed to Sonic being in brawl as a 3rd party guest. and now heres the problem. M&SatOG is scheduled to come out about 2 weeks before brawl. why so close? why so much emphasis on Sonic and Mario being together in a game if its only gonna happen again in 2 weeks? why this eagerness to release their own multiplayer game with cross-platform characters?

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
@ del: I see your point. Let me ask you something: as a marketing VP at SEGA, you know as well as the rest of the world that the best game sales of the year involve releasing your "can't miss" titles between thanksgiving week and the christmas season. If Sonic WAS to be in Brawl, when would you have released this game?

Just curious.

The question goes out to all as well, since del raises a good point.

Sinn

Smash Lord
According to IGN, the Japanese get their M&S@tOG six days before they get Brawl. Scary, no? (And why the Hell is everything coming out in the US first now...?)

I would imagine that SEGA wants to release their own Mario and Sonic game because...in the end, they'll be getting more money from those game sales, even if they're not that great, than they'd probably get from Nintendo for allowing Sonic to be in the game. I still see both as potentially good things. The timing of both release dates COULD be coincidental...but even if they're premeditated together, it could still in a collaborative effort. I think my glass is just half full on the matter.

Though usually my glass is just twice as big as it needs to be... >.>

SonicMario

Smash Master
As a matter of fact, it is; Tuesday to be specific. AND it happens to be less than two weeks before Brawl comes out. Could there BE a better time to announce it? It'd be last minute, which I kinda see for an announcement like this, but still before the game actually comes out.

EDIT: Nov 20th
That'd be the best! Confirmed while everybody is trying out the Olympics game. That reminds me, we should probably plan what we're gonna do if When Sonic is confirmed. And will it change us? I just hope not...

RDK, will you still be the n00b flamer you are... when Sonic is confirmed

Del, will you still despise Sega... when Sonic is confirmed

Dynamism, will you still be doing all the happy posts... when Sonic is confirmed

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Having Sonic in Brawl that close could benifit sega as well...
With all of this hype around mixing them, maybe Sonic will be a smash (no pun intended) in brawl and it will attract others to the Sonic Mario rivalry again and considering SMOG is the same time (roughly) the fan base will be intriqued. Eventually sprouting a double package "BRAWL AND GAMES!"lol

yes, yes i will *stands tall with pride and salutes*

RDK

Smash Hero
RDK, will you still be the n00b flamer you are... when Sonic is confirmed

Dynamism, will you still be doing all the happy posts... when Sonic is confirmed
We'll all look back on this and go "Good times, good times."

And flaming n00bs is too fun to pass up, although I have to admit I may have to take some time off to **** Del's Sonic with Bomberman. ;)

SiD

Smash Master
Pssh, Sonic so badass he could roll up into a ball, that would turn into a bomb, blow up the entire cast (except Pichu, who miraculously dodged it) and revive himself. And don't even get me started on his Final Smash.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Pssh, Sonic so badass he could roll up into a ball, that would turn into a bomb, blow up the entire cast (except Pichu, who miraculously dodged it) and revive himself. And don't even get me started on his Final Smash.
Yes... yes!! We could call it... the morphing ball. And the morphing ball bomb, or perhaps super bomb :chuckle:

Del Money

Smash Champion
@ del: I see your point. Let me ask you something: as a marketing VP at SEGA, you know as well as the rest of the world that the best game sales of the year involve releasing your "can't miss" titles between thanksgiving week and the christmas season. If Sonic WAS to be in Brawl, when would you have released this game?

Just curious.

The question goes out to all as well, since del raises a good point.
hell no i wouldnt. how the hell is Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games a cant-miss title? lets think about this for a second...theres nothing to miss in Mario& Sonic at the Olympics. Sonic and Maro coming together can be done in brawl 2 weeks later, and its more anticipated. Smash Bros games > Olympic-based gammes. M&SatOG is yet another multiplayer game is that completely unnecessary for the Wii right now. how is a newfangled Olympic-based game with Sonic and Mario supposed to compete in the market against Madden 2008, Strikers Charged, Mario Party 8, Raving Rabbids (and the upcoming sequel), and OF COURSE BRAWL. Brawl was announced long before M&SatOG was. Sega was CONTACTED ABOUT BRAWL beofre M&SatOG was announced. now on a more positive note, M&SatOG along with Sonic in brawl would increase revenue but will it increase profit? theres no doubt this game will sell well among Mario fans, Sonic fans, and children. but the majority of the gaming populace are not fanboys who will buy a game first and then realize it sucks later. theyll rent/read reviews and all they need is an incentive to say "this other game here is better" before putting it down. the formula of M&SatOG is a compilation of Olmypic mini-games...theres archery, track running, hurdles, discuss, etc. its original, but its the Olympics. its not silly, wacky, interactive competition like it can be in Mario Party. the Olymoics isnt like that. itll basically be which player performs better solo. in fact, the multipular aspect would probably be dull. this game would be an awful substitute for Sonic being in brawl. so i guess i would either release this game AND put Sonic inbrawl, or not release it period.

you mean "if" Sonic's confirmed, right?

Dynamism

Smash Lord
hell no i wouldnt. how the hell is Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games a cant-miss title? lets think about this for a second...theres nothing to miss in Mario& Sonic at the Olympics. Sonic and Maro coming together can be done in brawl 2 weeks later, and its more anticipated. Smash Bros games > Olympic-based gammes. M&SatOG is yet another multiplayer game is that completely unnecessary for the Wii right now. how is a newfangled Olympic-based game with Sonic and Mario supposed to compete in the market against Madden 2008, Strikers Charged, Mario Party 8, Raving Rabbids (and the upcoming sequel), and OF COURSE BRAWL. Brawl was announced long before M&SatOG was. Sega was CONTACTED ABOUT BRAWL beofre M&SatOG was announced. now on a more positive note, M&SatOG along with Sonic in brawl would increase revenue but will it increase profit? theres no doubt this game will sell well among Mario fans, Sonic fans, and children. but the majority of the gaming populace are not fanboys who will buy a game first and then realize it sucks later. theyll rent/read reviews and all they need is an incentive to say "this other game here is better" before putting it down. the formula of M&SatOG is a compilation of Olmypic mini-games...theres archery, track running, hurdles, discuss, etc. its original, but its the Olympics. its not silly, wacky, interactive competition like it can be in Mario Party. the Olymoics isnt like that. itll basically be which player performs better solo. in fact, the multipular aspect would probably be dull. this game would be an awful substitute for Sonic being in brawl. so i guess i would either release this game AND put Sonic inbrawl, or not release it period.

you mean "if" Sonic's confirmed, right?

@SonicMario: Yes he will stay with us...

Sonics only chance, Brawls a Smash Hit, and Sonic's in it!

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
If there was a way to add reputation, that last post woulda gotten you a couple. As it is, I will just say I agree with you completely.

This Olympics game sounds like it could be fun, and it will be amazing to play as Sonic vs. Mario... but those two concepts should never have been mixed.

It's such a throwaway title. It almost feels like a comprimise that Sega and Nintendo came to where they could have their franchise characters together, I'm sure with more work they could have hammered out a way for Sonic to be in Brawl.

BTW, del, I wasn't saying that I believe Olympic games is a can't miss, but that Sega seems to think it is.

God, they could have spent the time on something far more worthwhile.

... ugh, I'm going to go be frustrated somewhere.

SiD

Smash Master
Now now, the game might actually turn out to be fun. I don't think we've seen enough of it to make these assumptions Del.

Sonink

Smash Journeyman
this game would be an awful substitute for Sonic being in brawl. so i guess i would either release this game AND put Sonic inbrawl, or not release it period.
...Which is exactly why Sega execs will think it's brilliant.

Instead of putting their mascot into one of the most anticipated games of all time, they'll stick him in another terrible Sega-developed monstrosity, hammer another nail in the coffin, and call it a day.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
i bet it'll out sell Brawl *looks around* but a factor in the negatives *looks around*
Seriously though,

They either planned it to be close because they suppose that it'll pay off for both of them in the long run. When they bring back Mario and Sonic twice in two weeks, there'll either be a stampeed or an earthquake!

Or Sega refused and decided to piss Nintendo off by getting in their face with this title. The first is more likely and more reasonable. That's all we can hope for!

Cinos Ruof Lwarb

Garuda

Smash Ace
Grr... fine, one more chance. But if they fail again, I say give Sonic to Nintendo. Sega should be grateful - Sonic is pretty much the only TRUE reason they have a name to this day.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Now now, the game might actually turn out to be fun. I don't think we've seen enough of it to make these assumptions Del.
well...
1. i made initial assumptions about SatSR over a year ago and according to your complaints about it, i was dead on
2. olympic games are all about doing your personal best. i ran track in high school and believe me its not exactly a team-bonding sport. the multiplayer in this game cant possibly be good. why? because no player will have an interesting way of hindering another players success in a mini-game without pressing the reset button on the Wii
...Which is exactly why Sega execs will think it's brilliant.

Instead of putting their mascot into one of the most anticipated games of all time, they'll stick him in another terrible Sega-developed monstrosity, hammer another nail in the coffin, and call it a day.
now this is true. but thats why the smartest business decision technically should be to release M&SatOG AND put Sonic brawl. too bad Sega was too dumb to count of the fact that fun multiplayer games does not mean wait for player 2 to complete their boring discuss throw.choose the Olympics was the dumb idea. id personally have more fun taking turns with someone playing Pong against a CPU

EDIT: wow, i think ive become even more negative than Garuda...

Garuda

Smash Ace
EDIT: wow, i think ive become even more negative than Garuda...
lol. Well, I'm taking some college now, a little ahead of my own time. Looks like I just needed to get rid of some pent up energy.

Now I'm starting to not really obsess over it, but I would be very happy if he did get in the game.

Del Money

Smash Champion
same here...i just dont wanna be all excited about it and then get a slap of denial from Sega. id rather be a downer and then be complete unprepared for a Sonic confirmation

Garuda

Smash Ace
That's exactly how I am, believe me. Man, why does this site crash so much?

SonicMario

Smash Master
I say we all give Sega one more chance, see what direction they take Sonic in the next 3D game. Have some hope.
Yes, just one more chance. If they can pull it off, perhaps Sega will be back to their old selfs (Though still impossible without Naka) in no time. If they can't, we'll despise Sega for a VERY long time. Unless they can make a Sonic game that outsells AND outgreats a big game. (like Halo or a Mario game. Even beating a Mario spinoff would be fine)

Oh and Del, i said When because i am getting sick and tired of saying "If". It feels like it is a Sci-fi channel commercial everytime. So i say When, it boosts my confidence & it gets other people positive. Can't you just pour your negativity at P2W anyway. This thread needs all the support we can get at Smash Boards, so "when" Sonic is confirmed. We can look back on how many supporters we could gather up here. Think about it, we're the largest supported thread that isn't closed (ala Original Ridley Thread). You shouldn't be putting any of your Negative just in case a Supportive newbie comes in and tells his side on things. I hate to be the "Dr. Phil", but lessen down on your negativity... Please.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Umm, out of curiosity, what is this "old sega" form that we're hoping this will return them to?

The only thing Sega ever did right was Sonic, and Gunstar Heroes. And 32X.

Well, two of those things anyways.

Remember though guys, if the team is just waiting for Sonic's approval from Sega, he may be hidden somewhere in the code.

Programmers unite!!

Sawnick fore Brawl

SonicMario

Smash Master
Umm, out of curiosity, what is this "old sega" form that we're hoping this will return them to?

The only thing Sega ever did right was Sonic, and Gunstar Heroes. And 32X.

Well, two of those things anyways.

Remember though guys, if the team is just waiting for Sonic's approval from Sega, he may be hidden somewhere in the code.

Programmers unite!!

Sawnick fore Brawl
I meant the Sega during the early 90's. When Yuji Naka was most active there. Where all the classic Sonic 2D sidescrollers rivaled the success of the Mario games. The time when Nintendo actually considered Sega a threat. Sure they didn't sell as nearly as Nintendo. But they had good & great games. For some reason i blame the decline of the Saturn. More then anything of Sega's concurring failures.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
I meant the Sega during the early 90's. When Yuji Naka was most active there. Where all the classic Sonic 2D sidescrollers rivaled the success of the Mario games. The time when Nintendo actually considered Sega a threat. Sure they didn't sell as nearly as Nintendo. But they had good & great games. For some reason i blame the decline of the Saturn. More then anything of Sega's concurring failures.
it wasnt the saturn... it was the dreamcast. sega....fission mail'd

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
And it wasn't even that Dreamcast was subpar on its own, or had awful games, but their timing was ... how would the kids say it.... uber wack.

And dear god did the Sonic Adventure series go to hell in a handbasket.

Skivich

Smash Cadet
id love to see sonic tear it up only if his taunt was him eating a chili dog. and as a final smash move bring in tails on the plane and bomb everyone

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
id love to see sonic tear it up only if his taunt was him eating a chili dog. and as a final smash move bring in tails on the plane and bomb everyone
wat if tails is on screen? cuz u best believe if sonic is in, then so will tails.

i see it now...brawl team tourneys people using sonic & tails. i bet tails would be able to lift sonic in a way like he used to in sonic 3

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
Sonic final smash

first of all, good job on the move set. The only thing that I could think that would be different is if he were to have a projectyle, it would be similar to metal sonic in StH2, where he spins and shoots darts in every direction. Sounds a little cheap but oh well. That and the upB, I think it would be more of a pika-type move where you would get two really fast zapps in different directions. After all Sonic is the fastest animal on the planet. I can see him as the love child of a massive pikachoo/shiek/fox/kirby foursome. Anywho, the FINAL SMASH is what I'm getting to. It would be like bower's in that the move doesn't acually give damage. When Sonic gets the final smash, the sky goes dark, the choir sings, the birds chirp, ext. The chaos emeralds circle around sonic turning him into super sonic of course, this is from several of his games. Anyway he would turn gold and shiny and the ladies would sweat when they saw him. And basically for a little while he becomes an unstoppable lightening bolt on crack. he may even get a chilli dog before it's all over.

OH YEAH. I forgot one thing. It really doesn't matter about sonic or anyone else for that matter, because IKE is gonna destroy the competion anyway. tootles

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
I like where your head's at with the chilli dog skivich, maybe instead of dropping bombs, tails would parachute chuck norris from the plane he could roundhouse kick everybody out of the ring. or bombs could work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom