• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vali

Smash Ace
Does that include Shadow?!
Yes. Yes it does. Twice.

*** no, wheres your American pride dammit?
yeah it scares the living balls out of me. ok heres the deal:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is conveniently announced while Sonic hype for brawl was high now. we had heard Sakurai had contacted Sega and was awaiting a verdict. Mario & Sonic at the Olympics Games showed that Sega is not opposed to putting Sonic and Mario in a game together. so it showed that Sega shouldnt be opposed to Sonic being in brawl as a 3rd party guest. and now heres the problem. M&SatOG is scheduled to come out about 2 weeks before brawl. why so close? why so much emphasis on Sonic and Mario being together in a game if its only gonna happen again in 2 weeks? why this eagerness to release their own multiplayer game with cross-platform characters?
English pride is so much better! I think I'll go cry until October 26th now.

Anyway here's my take on S&M at the Olympic Games, and surprisingly it's rather more positive. Earlier release date? Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

S&M is a minigame compilation, a pretty solid one at that from what I've read from an IGN hands-on I believe it was, but it's riding on 3 things to provide a boost to the sales.

1. Appeal to casual gamers
2. Olympic games (even if it is a bit early, it might sell more at a later time period)
3. Sonic and Mario appearing for the first time ever together in a videogame

The reason why an earlier release date is necessary as such is because if it released later than Brawl it will lose one of it's major selling points and SEGA needs games with major selling points to keep the Sonic cashcow afloat. Brawl will be great, garunteed, it will get awesome reviews and sell millions to everyone who loved Melee and maybe a new crowd too. Hell it'll probably even shift a few thousand Wiis. It doesn't NEED the appeal of "First Mario with Sonic game ever!" because it'll sell incredibly well regardless and as long as Sonic is in the roster, the fans will be happy. Your beef isn't with the fact that Sonic is appearing in another game first, it's with the fact that you're worried that it'll upset his chances of being in Brawl and to that I say "Rediculous! Never!". As long as Sonic is in Brawl it'll be the first time that Sonic ever fights Mario as such and all the other Nintendo characters and that'll still be a major selling point to Sonic fans (who long for decent games with Sonic in ^^).

I hope you see why an early release date makes sense for S&M, if it was the other way around Brawl's sales most likely won't see an increase whatsoever (Sonic will most likely not be revealed before Brawl's release is my betting) and those fans that buy it will have 1 less reason to buy S&M, making that game suffer in sales.

I can honestly say this is the best for both games. Sonic will be in Brawl, regardless.

RDK

Smash Hero
Instead of putting their mascot into one of the most anticipated games of all time, they'll stick him in another terrible Sega-developed monstrosity, hammer another nail in the coffin, and call it a day.
^ This gem wins the thread.

S&M is a minigame compilation, a pretty solid one at that from what I've read from an IGN hands-on I believe it was, but it's riding on 3 things to provide a boost to the sales.

1. Appeal to casual gamers
2. Olympic games (even if it is a bit early, it might sell more at a later time period)
3. Sonic and Mario appearing for the first time ever together in a videogame
Wanna know what would provide an even bigger boost in sales?

3. Sonic and Mario appearing for the first AND LAST time ever together in a videogame
SEGA's an attention wh_re. I honestly don't think they're going to let 'Tendo play around with Sonic. As if Nintendo could **** him up more than he already is.

Vali

Smash Ace
^ This gem wins the thread.

Wanna know what would provide an even bigger boost in sales?

SEGA's an attention wh_re. I honestly don't think they're going to let 'Tendo play around with Sonic. As if Nintendo could **** him up more than he already is.
First and Last is way too final, there's a hell of a lot of a cashcow in Mario + Sonic games. They won't make a single game in the hope that it sells lots because it'll be the only one because several years down the line with 18480 S&M(yes I'm continuing the joke) games out that money will amount to a hell of a lot more. Oh and SEGA being an attention ***** doesn't matter too much when there might very well be a deal where SEGA get to use Mario in the Olympics game and Sonic in Brawl.

Plus since Sonic might not be revealed on the Dojo, for all fans know it may be the only S&M game for a long time and so there's still the incentive to buy it for that reason. There's absolutely no indication that Sonic will be in Brawl, other than what we can speculate.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
well said, my friend. SEGA is going to witness a severe drop in purchases if Sonic doesn't make it in. the outrage from millions of nintendo fans will most probably mark the end of the blue hedgehog, or Nintendo's purchase of Sega...

However. this is where it all goes wrong.

SEGA must realise that Mario and Sonic's rivalry hitting climax in games that bring them together officially is what will make the money for both them and Nintendo. If they don't allow Sonic in Brawl, one third of their income will gradually crumble, as Nintendo fans start to find less appeal in the blue hedgehog, and adding new characters to his cast doesn't seem to help either. soon, they'll face near bankruptcy, and will be looking to sell themselves. And, if either Playstation or Microsoft buys the Sonic franchise, there will be no hope in seeing the plumber meet the hedgehog in any official games, and a big groan will be heard for miles on end

but that's just an over dramatic view. I'm Sure SEGA will make the right choice

Sonic 4 brawl!

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
people still talk about this??
sonic is in brawl.
his moves will be dashes and spins.
every1 will use him.
and sonic will lose to mario any day...
"its a me mario, get ready to be CAPED B****"

SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
At the begining, ALOT of people will use Sonic (like me), but after a while, people will eventually be using different charicters. But I'm sticking with him. :chuckle:

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
sonic is in brawl.
every1 will use him.
Well, then. That's that, we can all relax now, call it a day.
Phew, thanks for rescuing us from our idiocy.

Anyways, the ball is in Sega's court, I hope they make the right move.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I honestly would love to see sonic in SSBB. It would be fun to pit sonic against some of the big nintendo heroes.

I think what alot of fans and anti fans of sonic need to remeber though is that we have no idea if he is going to get in or not. He has a good chance to get in, but at the same time has a good chance he might not get in. Some people think that he has to be in brawl, and others think he dosent even come close. Its probably best if people consider the fact that there is a chance, even if it is small, that sonic will or will not be in brawl.

I for one want him in...but am getting alittle understanding if he dosent get in.

Eh whatever though. Im for him. Sonic for Brawl please.

SonicMario

Smash Master
sonic is in brawl.
every1 will use him.
Are you saying that if you control Sonic, and go against a Lv. 1 computer Mario. You're gonna lose?

@PPNY: Nice to have someone new here, i said before that this thread needs all it's support it can get. So "When" Sonic is in Brawl, the regulars here can look back on it.

@Vali: (clapping seriously) I really enjoyed your statement & your comeback at RDK. Why are most of the old regulars starting to get negative?

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I won't use Sonic. I'll use Link, unless Lloyd Irving gets in, then he'll be my main. Sonic will be my fourth, if not my third, but i always have four characters which I try and master. so, I'd try and master (in order) Lloyd, Link, Ike, Sonic

SonicMario

Smash Master
SonicMario, you can't NOT be discouraged after looking at SEGA's sheer idiocy. I just don't think they can pull through on this one.

Check this guy out. His username is Lightlink17.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=2793585&posted=1#post2793585
I'm giving Sega one more chance. If they can pull through, then we can forgive them on SOME of their mistakes;). If they do this wrong however... i will be utterly disappointed with them. But i will still buy (or rent) Sonic games in the future, still buy Brawl, and still be a multi-character fan. Sega's failures doesn't tempt me to be negative AT ALL. And we won't be the only ones disappointed. How bad will the Canadian Best Buy feel if Sonic isn't in Brawl? I just can't help myself with not being against Sega and/or Sonic. Let's just say i'm "Hooked on Sonic".

And what was the point of a link to something in the Diddy Thread?

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I'm giving Sega one more chance. If they can pull through, then we can forgive them on SOME of their mistakes;). If they do this wrong however... i will be utterly disappointed with them. But i will still buy (or rent) Sonic games in the future, still buy Brawl, and still be a multi-character fan. Sega's failures doesn't tempt me to be negative AT ALL. And we won't be the only ones disappointed. How bad will the Canadian Best Buy feel if Sonic isn't in Brawl? I just can't help myself with not being against Sega and/or Sonic. Let's just say i'm "Hooked on Sonic".

Ill agree with you on this. I found that sonic's games have been going downhill. I still buy the sonic games too being a fan an all. But man they really could have done some better stuff. If sonic is in brawl, I think they will have made their best choice in a long time.

RDK

Smash Hero
I was in an argument with him. Just pointing out what a fool he was. Too many n00bs coming here....

If they can pull through, then we can forgive them on SOME of their mistakes
Some, meaning.....?

Not Heroes or '06, I hope.

But i will still buy (or rent) Sonic games in the future, still buy Brawl, and still be a multi-character fan
That was never in question for me. However, I will still look down on SEGA like I look down on the bodily waste my dog leaves on the back lawn.

Sega's failures doesn't tempt me to be negative AT ALL
Lucky *******, lol.

And we won't be the only ones disappointed. How bad will the Canadian Best Buy feel if Sonic isn't in Brawl
That was the Canadian Best Buy's fault. That can be construed as false advertising if Sonic really isn't in, and they could be in a heap of trouble. I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't done something already. I can smell the lawsuit.....

Let's just say i'm "Hooked on Sonic".
CORNY ALERT

SonicMario

Smash Master
Some, meaning.....?

Not Heroes or '06, I hope.
That is exactly what i meant. When i said some, only i meant earlier mistakes. Heroes, 06, Shadow are some of the ones that can almost never be forgiven.

That was never in question for me. However, I will still look down on SEGA like I look down on the bodily waste my dog leaves on the back lawn.
Good for you

Lucky *******, lol.
:chuckle:

That was the Canadian Best Buy's fault. That can be construed as false advertising if Sonic really isn't in, and they could be in a heap of trouble. I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't done something already. I can smell the lawsuit.....
Nintendo is probably too busy for lawsuits right now. They ave big games coming up. So i wouldn't count on Nintendo Officials coming into a Canadian Best Buy and it becomes what Pheonix Wright does best.

CORNY ALERT
:chuckle:

Vali

Smash Ace
@Vali: (clapping seriously) I really enjoyed your statement & your comeback at RDK. Why are most of the old regulars starting to get negative?
It might just be SEGA blunder after SEGA blunder, and people starting (after too much thinking) to lose faith in SEGA's ability to do right. However there is one truth that many SEGA fans manage to ignore. While SEGA may destroy the Sonic franchise and **** our childhood memories game by game, introduce rubbish characters and spoil the story, turn our beloved characters into whiny 7 year olds, introduce new game features such as "broken camera" and "invisible sticky wall/pitfall in the floor", spin him off into cringingly bad cartoons and slow the fast pace we know and love, there is still one thing SEGA manages to do right every game.

Make money.

They have at every opportunity made as much money as they can and some of the later games such as Sonic Heroes just seem like a shell of a Sonic game, an empty soul as it were, and overall give me the impression that Sonic games are rushed out of the door asap to milk the cashcow as only SEGA and Sonic Team know how. The sad part is most Sonic fans lap it up, but no-one can deny that SEGA has been practically riding on the Sonic cashcow since the dreamcast died. So while expecting a decent Sonic game may seem very farfetched, SEGAs incompetance won't make Sonic miss out on Brawl because SEGA wouldn't miss out on a great opportunity to ***** (it's the W word folks!...well...the 5 letter one) out Sonic for a nice lump of $. In a swag bag, preferably.

Edit:@SonicSpeed

That 2nd sentence...it's so wrong that I wouldn't know where to begin...

SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
Why doesn't anyone like the Sonic games lately? I know they are no where near as good the originals, but there isn't much to complain about in them.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Why doesn't anyone like the Sonic games lately? I know they are no where near as good the originals, but there isn't much to complain about in them.
I liked a few of there games. Sonic Riders was addicting, but why did they all have to use boards. I would have loved to see them all run like in the old sonic R. Just with actual fair stats.

I will be prepared to be attacked on this but.... I completely Loathed sonic and the secret rings. Sorry i just dont think sonic matchs with a bunch of genies. But thats my opinon.

RDK

Smash Hero
I laughed.

It might just be SEGA blunder after SEGA blunder, and people starting (after too much thinking) to lose faith in SEGA's ability to do right. However there is one truth that many SEGA fans manage to ignore. While SEGA may destroy the Sonic franchise and **** our childhood memories game by game, introduce rubbish characters and spoil the story, turn our beloved characters into whiny 7 year olds, introduce new game features such as "broken camera" and "invisible sticky wall/pitfall in the floor", spin him off into cringingly bad cartoons and slow the fast pace we know and love, there is still one thing SEGA manages to do right every game.

Make money.

They have at every opportunity made as much money as they can and some of the later games such as Sonic Heroes just seem like a shell of a Sonic game, an empty soul as it were, and overall give me the impression that Sonic games are rushed out of the door asap to milk the cashcow as only SEGA and Sonic Team know how. The sad part is most Sonic fans lap it up, but no-one can deny that SEGA has been practically riding on the Sonic cashcow since the dreamcast died. So while expecting a decent Sonic game may seem very farfetched, SEGAs incompetance won't make Sonic miss out on Brawl because SEGA wouldn't miss out on a great opportunity to ***** (it's the W word folks!...well...the 5 letter one) out Sonic for a nice lump of $. In a swag bag, preferably.
Vali, I'm man enough to admit that you just owned me with that post. GG, sir.

So i wouldn't count on Nintendo Officials coming into a Canadian Best Buy and it becomes what Pheonix Wright does best.
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=2141195

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I won't use Sonic. I'll use Link, unless Lloyd Irving gets in, then he'll be my main. Sonic will be my fourth, if not my third, but i always have four characters which I try and master. so, I'd try and master (in order) Lloyd, Link, Ike, Sonic
Hate to break it too you (I'm a HUGE fan of ToS) but Lloyd ain't gonna make the cut. I realize that his moveset screams itself at us, it would be soooo easy.

My mains would be easy. See my sig.

Mario and Sonic. Assuming the good ol' Doctor doesn't make it in.

[EDIT]

Not much to complain about? I can't wait 'til Del hears about this.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I know, admittenly i play through some levels stil in some games like the Adventure series. Sure the games wearn't that game on terms of reviews. But you yourself is a reviewer. And it just doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the game. Like how Del wants Sonic 06 to be on PC despite it's bad reviews.

@Vali: (Claps again) You prove an interesting point. Sega will get more money from Olympics once people who are playing Brawl hears that another game features Mario & Sonic. And also that's not the only thing they are getting money from. The NiGHTS sequal is sure to be a money getter, and don't forget the Sonic RPG being developed by BioWare. (Yes THAT BioWare)

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
I know, admittenly i play through some levels stil in some games like the Adventure series. Sure the games wearn't that game on terms of reviews. But you yourself is a reviewer. And it just doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the game. Like how Del wants Sonic 06 to be on PC despite it's bad reviews.

@Vali: (Claps again) You prove an interesting point. Sega will get more money from Olympics once people who are playing Brawl hears that another game features Mario & Sonic. And also that's not the only thing they are getting money from. The NiGHTS sequal is sure to be a money getter, and don't forget the Sonic RPG being developed by BioWare. (Yes THAT BioWare)
Wait there is a sonic RPG coming out?

RDK

Smash Hero
Bioware = auto-win

I sure hope Sonic's franchise isn't cursed, and Sonic RPG turns out to suck hard. I literally don't know what I would do.

However, because of Bioware's reputation, I have no worries when it comes down to Sonic RPG.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
My god! Sweet! I am instantly going to get that game. I just hope Red Darkstar is right and sonic dosent make it suck.

Wow...and rpg with sonic was the last thing on my mind.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Bioware = auto-win

I sure hope Sonic's franchise isn't cursed, and Sonic RPG turns out to suck hard. I literally don't know what I would do.

However, because of Bioware's reputation, I have no worries when it comes down to Sonic RPG.
If it is cursed, all we gotta do is trade him to Nintendo.

Nintendo=Uncurse

Seriously, think about it, a decent Sonic game - Every time.

RDK

Smash Hero
Also a 2nd Sonic riders is coming out too.
That and the second Raving Rabbids coming out soon might just be the death of me.

Del$: "Oh, hey RDK. Guess what--they're making Act Zero 2!"

*HURLS MYSELF OFF CLIFF*

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
Hate to break it too you (I'm a HUGE fan of ToS) but Lloyd ain't gonna make the cut. I realize that his moveset screams itself at us, it would be soooo easy.

My mains would be easy. See my sig.

Mario and Sonic. Assuming the good ol' Doctor doesn't make it in.

[EDIT]

Not much to complain about? I can't wait 'til Del hears about this.
d***... ah well, I guess it'll just be Link, Ike and Sonic then, unless something rather interesting comes up :)

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Well Ide rather it a costume then a character. honestly i dont want to see waluigi in the game. To me it feels like mario swamps super smash bros. In melee there was mario, luigi, peach bowser, Doc Mario. You could consider DK and yoshi part of them too if ya really wanted to. And now wario is coming in, who is also part of the mario series in most parts. And people are worried the pokemon series will take over.

Eh...ide just say no to him really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom