• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
Although I don't really condone the use of "gay" as a derogatory word,that still was pretty awesome.:laugh:

BTW, Archie comics were based of of SatAM.
Those comics were great why didn't they stick to them :( They always stayed true to the Sonic storyline.

O and Vulpine that game was so good...... to me, I never focused on any flaws, escape from the city was an all time favorite level of mine.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Chillin in my room playing sonic adventure 1 and 2 on the dreamcast...those were the days.

I remember I hooked my dreamcast up to the internet and downloaded the christmas pack for SA1 so all of the town was decorated in christmas decorations.

RDK

Smash Hero
Too bad DC was overshadowed by PS2 and GC...they should have released it earler, because it had the potential to be a great console.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Chillin in my room playing sonic adventure 1 and 2 on the dreamcast...those were the days.

I remember I hooked my dreamcast up to the internet and downloaded the christmas pack for SA1 so all of the town was decorated in christmas decorations.
nice nice

Too bad DC was overshadowed by PS2 and GC...they should have released it earler, because it had the potential to be a great console.
ok heres where i get ****ing pissed off...again. first off the DC and PS2 were both 128-bit systems and fairly equivalent in capabilities, save the DVD playing. DC coming out too early was a slighty mistake but it wasnt what sunk the battleship. Sega's CONSTANT unncessary desire to market the system incorrectly as well as reason nothing but washed up low-budget sports title for it are why it didnt do so hot. Ok Sega's let put 2 + 2 together here....what kind of ****ing stupidass gaming poplulation WOULD ACTUALLY INVEST IN A SYSTEM WITH NO CREDIBILITY OF QULAITY SOFTWARE. you has SA1 & 2 and a couple multiplatform games from 3rd pary developers...and then you have SEga Bass Fishing or NFL Blitz 2K sometihng or another or Sega ****ing Rally and then they thought they were fooling the Sonic commuity by thinking we'd enjoy Sonic Shuffle. are you kidding me, Sega? are you ****ing kidding me? the absolute one Sonic game i outright refuse to ever play...pitiful. and then they drop out of the console market and everyone wonders what the hell happened. absolutely pathetic

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Dreamcast was doomed far before PS2 was released.

And it had nothing to do with anyone but Sega. They screwed themselves. They had poor developer relations because of what happened with the Saturn.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I'm ashamed to say that I own Sonic Shuffle.

And played it more than once.

SiD

Smash Master
Because of the hype from the PS2 though, sony fanboyism killed the Dreamcast. Sega just made it faster for themselves.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Dreamcast was doomed far before PS2 was released.

And it had nothing to do with anyone but Sega. They screwed themselves. They had poor developer relations because of what happened with the Saturn.
i didnt say it was the PS2 that did it. and PS2 was release a little before the DC died i think

That's not entirely true, it had plenty to do with PS2
how so?

I'm ashamed to say that I own Sonic Shuffle.

And played it more than once.
lol i wished you hadnt said that, but we all still love you anyways

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Well at least there aren't 27 and a half of them like Mario Party.
True enough.

Although, the Mario Party games are actually well done. They're just all the same game. I was shocked that there was even a Mario Party 2. By the time they got to 5 or 6, I was like "Dude, Mario only throws so many parties. He's gonna run out of punch soon. And why the **** did he invite Waluigi?"

lol i wished you hadnt said that, but we all still love you anyways
It warms my heart to hear that. I was afraid everyone in this thread would stop talking to me after that post, haha.

.....It's so shameful.

SiD

Smash Master
True enough.

Although, the Mario Party games are actually well done. They're just all the same game. I was shocked that there was even a Mario Party 2. By the time they got to 5 or 6, I was like "Dude, Mario only throws so many parties. He's gonna run out of punch soon. And why the **** did he invite Waluigi?"
Dude, that cracked me up. I literally laughed out loud.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Because of the hype from the PS2 though, sony fanboyism killed the Dreamcast. Sega just made it faster for themselves.
No. The dreamcast failed before the Saturn bombed which pissed off most of Sega's exclusive gaming developers.

Sega stopped manufacturing of the dreamcast only 2 months after the PS2's launch.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Yes because of expectation of the PS2, people expect things so they don't buy dreamcasts.

Once again....no. It was because Sega was failing to obtain game developers because of what happened with the Saturn. It is well known that EA refusing to work with Sega after what happened with the Saturn, was a big part of it. The only people you find online who make the whole "ps2 killed dreamcast" argument are just people who were big into the ps2.

The dreamcast was selling very well in it's first year.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh, ****. I LOL'ed pretty hard at this one, too. My girlfriend actually woke up and came into the den because I was laughing so hard. Granted, she wasn't very happy about it but...whatever. She'll get over it.

Circus, you're too awesome to shunned. :laugh:

Del Money

Smash Champion
Well at least there aren't 27 and a half of them like Mario Party.
i hope youre not implying that Shuffle was good in any way...

efficiency for Sega means "how fast can we assrape ourselves?"

SiD

Smash Master
Your wrong, it sold well at first like you said but then with announcement's regarding the PS2 and it's eventually release, the Dreamcast ultimately failed.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
You don't discontinue a console because you are worried it is going to get outsold by a competitor and then stop developing game consoles all together. My uncle actually worked at a Sega headquarters in San Francisco when all of this went down.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Oh, ****. I LOL'ed pretty hard at this one, too. My girlfriend actually woke up and came into the den because I was laughing so hard. Granted, she wasn't very happy about it but...whatever. She'll get over it.

Circus, you're too awesome to shunned. :laugh:
*glee* :)

I'll take full credit for waking your GF up.

I'd try to think of something relevant to all the console wars talk, but I got nothin'. I just know my Dreamcast can't work for 30 minutes without freaking out on me and there's one who can fix it.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
With some of the things I've heard here recently you guys have me more and more scared SEGA is gonna do some stupid things when it comes down to Sonic being in brawl.

Del Money

Smash Champion
The dreamcast was selling very well in it's first year.
console, yes. games, no, software library was and still is somewhat relatively small

That's not what I meant, I mean people didn't buy it because they wanted PS2s instead.
true. the lack of 3rd party support screwed Sega over further becuase sales profits did jack **** from PS2 winning the console market as well as the lack of quality 1st party or 3rd party games
I just know my Dreamcast can't work for 30 minutes without freaking out on me and there's one who can fix it.
maybe search for a new CD drive and install it. or if its an electrical issue, you might have to toss that old hag out...lol....old hag hahaha...sorry

@k!llsw!tch
thats the point..be scared...be very scared. Sonic's fate (as usual) is in the hands of Sega's competence

ok well its bed. peace out all

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I didn't care for either system very much. I was exuberant when I got my Gamecube though....because I had Melee....but then I realized there wasn't anything else good on it, so I got a PS2.

Anyway, I think that SEGA made the right choice dropping itself from the console war, giving it time to work on making it's games that much better...or at least that's what you would think.

@SID, I get movies and games for free anyway, so I'm renting it, I dare you to try and stop me! bwuahaha!!111
and Del Money...godd*mn dude, I had more posts than you a day and a half ago....making me feel bad here....::sniffle::

Cenedar

Smash Ace
I haven't really put my two cents in yet. I really don't know what ultimately led to the Dreamcast's demise, nor do I know how SEGA could screw their own character so bad.

Personally, I loved SA:DX and SA2:B. I bought them both for the Gamecube and they rea\main a couple of my favorite games ever. Sonic Heroes... meh. Didn't despise it, didn't love it. Shadow the Hedgehog I was not a fan of. But judging from popular opinion, Sonic 2006 really bit big wind. Having never played (for I don't really care to get a 360 or PS3) the game, I'm sure that I probably would've ended up liking it at least a little bit, seeing as that seems to be my opinions on 3D sonic games. And for the record, I'll agree that there are a couple characters that need to be axed, and FAST. The ones that bother me most are Silver the Hedgehog and Satan... err... Cream the Rabbit and her little chao. I don't have a problem with Shadow, honestly, I thought he was awesome in SA2B. And Tails, Knuckles, and Amy are all pretty much classic.

BUT, like everyone else here, I am worried about how SEGA will handle Sonic in Brawl, if he is in at all (which he better **** well be). I just hope SEGA realizes that they really have nothing to lose by doing it and finally just let Sakurai and his team put him in. And seeing as the people in SONIC TEAM won't be working on Brawl, I think Sonic is in capable hands. Sakurai is a good man and a very talented game maker, I for one have full confidence that he could do a great job with Sonic.

Del Money

Smash Champion
@Kaybk-Greenmyst

yeah i was expected something good to come out of Sega dropped the console race. and instead the complete opposite has happened (except F-Zero GX now that game was ****ing solid). oh and the post count is primarily me having nothing to do at work like ever (joy of internships). then i go home, work out for like 30 min and then back to the boards til update time *sigh*. but i love the boards so its all good
I haven't really put my two cents in yet. I really don't know what ultimately led to the Dreamcast's demise, nor do I know how SEGA could screw their own character so bad.

Personally, I loved SA:DX and SA2:B. I bought them both for the Gamecube and they rea\main a couple of my favorite games ever. Sonic Heroes... meh. Didn't despise it, didn't love it. Shadow the Hedgehog I was not a fan of. But judging from popular opinion, Sonic 2006 really bit big wind. Having never played (for I don't really care to get a 360 or PS3) the game, I'm sure that I probably would've ended up liking it at least a little bit, seeing as that seems to be my opinions on 3D sonic games. And for the record, I'll agree that there are a couple characters that need to be axed, and FAST. The ones that bother me most are Silver the Hedgehog and Satan... err... Cream the Rabbit and her little chao. I don't have a problem with Shadow, honestly, I thought he was awesome in SA2B. And Tails, Knuckles, and Amy are all pretty much classic.

BUT, like everyone else here, I am worried about how SEGA will handle Sonic in Brawl, if he is in at all (which he better **** well be). I just hope SEGA realizes that they really have nothing to lose by doing it and finally just let Sakurai and his team put him in. And seeing as the people in SONIC TEAM won't be working on Brawl, I think Sonic is in capable hands. Sakurai is a good man and a very talented game maker, I for one have full confidence that he could do a great job with Sonic.
seriously Cenedar where the **** have you been? oh but i think the problem is primarily Sega being competent enough to do the right thing and give Sonic to Sakurai. with our fave hedgehog (no, not Shadow), in Sakurai's hands im sure he'll come out just fine. and ialso agree that Cream and Cheese must go. i like Shadow a lot actually but not in the annoying sense that most fanboys do, and these guys have helped me see straight as to how Shadow was turned into something ridiculous to appeal to those fanboys in Shadow the Hedgehog, a game i otherwise liked but looking deeper could easily see that most fan hated it primarily because of the character flaw. oh and if you want a chance to play Sonic 2006 without a 360 or PS3, you know what to do...*blatantly points down at sig*.

@SiD
what would you like for a new Sonic platforming game? besides nonsuckyness...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
With some of the things I've heard here recently you guys have me more and more scared SEGA is gonna do some stupid things when it comes down to Sonic being in brawl.
I don't think I'd be too concerned.

Sega is the company who puts Sonic on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Sonic was on the Ngage, FFS!

Putting Sonic in Brawl effectively results in some of the best marketing Sega could ever hope for, especially if they use a stage from Secret Rings and Erazor and/or Sharah as an AT.

Sega has shown that they're perfectly willing to throw Sonic at anything, and I mean ANYTHING. Cellphones, the PS3, the Ngage...I'm sure there would have been a Sonic game for the Phantom, had it existed.

Bottom line, it makes more sense for Sonic to be in Brawl than out: the fans want him, Sega would want the advertising and Nintendo would like the crossover potential (aka FF characters in Mario Basketball and M&S Olympics).

It would probably coerce a number of die-hard Nintendo fans to check out Secret Rings as well as bring some die-hard Sonic fans in who will then maybe check out some other Wii games. SSB is, after all, one giant Nintendo commercial (I played Earthbound after seeing Ness in SSB).

I also can't help but wonder why Snake is in this game and yet there's no corresponding game for the Wii which will feature Snake.

They need a Wiimake of Twin Snakes now...

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Unfortunately Del Money, if Sakurai reinstates the Clone policy (which I liked btw) then the only character jumping into the roster would be Shadow, no one else could be a clone of Sonic. Could pass off Tails or maybe Knuckles, but that's a heck of a stretch.

I say this unfortunately, because Tails is my favorite, and I'd love to see him in Brawl, especially now that there's already a glide effect implemented (MK), so there's no worries for spending time on his physics. But I know this would never happen unless there was plenty of dev time (which there is as much as they want actually) and more room for third party characters (this is the stopper).

AngeloRoccosanto

Smash Cadet
ya sonic!!

Sonic is sooooo kool! i think they'll put him in as another 3rd party character like snake!
the more characters the longe the game and isn't that wat we all want!

Del Money

Smash Champion
@ Smash Brother

good point about Snake not on the Wii (lol Snakes on a Wii, that kinda sounds dirty and scary at the same time). but for the most part you bring up the point of Sonic's inclusion into brawl been mostly SatSR-related. i guess it would be good marketing for both Sega and Nintendo and i never thought of it that way...interesting. this could also potentially throw out like 80% of the mvesets that were made and replace attack with those from SatSR. i still havent played the game yet but that could be strange...especially for those who hate SatSR and would rather something more classic for Sonic to be represented

@Kabyk
yeah well that goes without saying and Tails and Knuckles could semi-pull it off if they went back to their Sonic 3 & Knuckles-ish style. but like you said Shadow would most likely take it. in fact if a 2nd Sega character did make it into brawl at playable, it would most lieky (and unfortunately) be Shadow since his status has been bumped up way too much in the Sonic world especailly for a character whose been around what like 7 years and only 4 original console titles (excluding spinoffs and guest appearances) in which he was playable. it could be Tails if Shadow was a costume for Sonic. but another Sega character is almost 100% certain to not be playable in brawl

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@ Smash Brother

good point about Snake not on the Wii (lol Snakes on a Wii, that kinda sounds dirty and scary at the same time). but for the most part you bring up the point of Sonic's inclusion into brawl been mostly SatSR-related. i guess it would be good marketing for both Sega and Nintendo and i never thought of it that way...interesting. this could also potentially throw out like 80% of the mvesets that were made and replace attack with those from SatSR. i still havent played the game yet but that could be strange...especially for those who hate SatSR and would rather something more classic for Sonic to be represented
If he's in, they'll probobly use more classic moves. Sakurai and his team makes the moves so they'll probobly include stuff like the Spin Dash and insta sheild.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
@ Smash Brother

Heheh...

"I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERF*CKIN' SNAKES ON MY MOTHERF*CKIN' WII!!!"

But yeah, advertising potential is one of the driving reasons for SSB to exist and primarily why they only need to release one per console generation. I was far more inclined to buy F-Zero on the GC because of Falcon's inclusion in SSB64. I felt like I "knew" him and as such knew the series, same with Ness and Samus.

A Twin Snakes Wiimake would be perfect, I think. The game didn't get NEARLY the credit it deserved on the GC and the Wii could really do it some justice. I'd buy it again just to play through it to see if Psycho Mantis made any Wii-related jokes, and with Snake in Brawl, it would convince a LOT of Nintendo fans to give the game a try.

They should convince Silicon Knights to quit screwing around with Too Human and port Twin Snakes over. :chuckle:

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
@Del Money, I don't know about Shadow being an original character. The problem, is that he actually IS a clone of Sonic, in the sonic-verse. No other character is actually a clone, especially not the ones who are clones in Smash.
I may be off a little bit with that, my Shadow history is not too good.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
@Del Money, I don't know about Shadow being an original character. The problem, is that he actually IS a clone of Sonic, in the sonic-verse. No other character is actually a clone, especially not the ones who are clones in Smash.
I don't think he's literally a Sonic clone in the sense that Gerald Robotnik plucked fibers out of Sonic and made Shadow (it's been ages since I've played SA2, but isn't Shadow technically like 50 years old?), but he is a clone in the sense that SEGA made him to completely mimic Sonic in SA2.

If anyone gets a clone spot, Shadow would indeed be the one to take it. That's actually why I'm kind of hoping they give Sonic a "Shadow" costume in Brawl. I don't even care if the announcer still calls him "Sonic". That's really all Shadow deserves at this point anyway. He doesn't deserve an actual character slot before Tails or Knuckles.

Del Money

Smash Champion
If he's in, they'll probobly use more classic moves. Sakurai and his team makes the moves so they'll probobly include stuff like the Spin Dash and insta sheild.
thats what im hoping. itll appeal to more fans oof the glory days of Sonic that way too
But yeah, advertising potential is one of the driving reasons for SSB to exist and primarily why they only need to release one per console generation. I was far more inclined to buy F-Zero on the GC because of Falcon's inclusion in SSB64. I felt like I "knew" him and as such knew the series, same with Ness and Samus.
QFMFT. i would NEVER have fought F-Zero GX had i not played melee period. familiarizing myself with Falcon via the captions on the trophy screens allowed me to get ambitious and go out on a limb for F-Zero GX. and it was a pretty darn good gamble,id say
A Twin Snakes Wiimake would be perfect, I think. The game didn't get NEARLY the credit it deserved on the GC and the Wii could really do it some justice. I'd buy it again just to play through it to see if Psycho Mantis made any Wii-related jokes, and with Snake in Brawl, it would convince a LOT of Nintendo fans to give the game a try.
sad to say...ive never played a metal gear game ever. but good news is Snake's inclusion in brawl might make me ambitious yet again (plus i hear metal gear series is uber-awesome anyways)

true...most games, Shadow bascially does as Sonic does. were he a separate character also of his moves would probably copy Sonic's (like luigi to mario in ssb64) however i believe his special moves would have a slight variation...perhaps using more chaos control/chaos spear moves or something. or maybe appealing to the punch and kicking in Shadow the Hedgehog (which were by far the most useless attacks to use in the game). nonetheless Shadow's fate is most lieky a black costume change for Sonic with the red spines but not too much detail to make it deviate from the general brawl Sonic character model...iguess its would just be clothing and coloring. silver for a white costume seems to far from likely though because his hair is way more out of place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom