• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic Heroes was only good in the fact that it kept almost forgotten Sonic characters such as Vector, Espio, Charmy Bee and Metal Sonic alive. Espio was one of my favourites Sonic additions, of which there are plenty to choose from. Sure the gameplay in Knuckles Choatix got frustruting as hell at points but it was still some mindless Sonic fun.

Sonic '06? Never played it, don't ever want to. Playing any Sonic game which is rated far worse than Sonic Heroes, SA2 and Shadow the Hedgehog might actually make me cry. The graphics didn't look too bad from videos I've seen but I think it was universally agreed that it wasn't that element of the game which made it so terrible, more the constant bugs.

My dream for the next Sonic game is a 2D game with pseudo-3D graphics that plays like Sonic 3+Knux, with the same ingenius level design. Imagine Green Hill Zone with every blade of grass swaying in the wind, running through gorgeously styled and rendered levels and awesome moving backdrops. All running smoothly at 60fps please. Bring back the elements such as "Robotnik", Robotnik bosses at the end of levels, chaos emeralds, animal-based robot enemies (containing fluffy creatures), Metal Sonic and keep the playable cast limited to something along the lines of Sonic, Tails, Sonic + Tails, Knuckles and maybe Espio thrown in there for good measure.

It'd be a sorta traditional Sonic game with next-gen 2D graphics and the possibility for some absolutely massive and stunning levels.

Hell yea, with online level races against others. Like Sonic the Hedgehog 2's 2-player mode, but better.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Same here with the archie comics. I'd be more than glad to read them, but have a short attention span. I was severely dissapointed after I heard of Season 3 of SatAm was never gonna happen...
that was a devastating blows to Sonic fans everywhere
I'm still waiting for someone to make a Sonic 3-D game with Sonic the Hedgehog 1
lol the original purpose of Sonic 2006, hence yet another Seg-ism
Imagine it, playing a 3-D version from Green Hill Zone (SA2'ers have seen this already) to Doomsday Zone.
i havent. SA2 is far too frustrating to even want to try and get all A's
SA>>>SADX in terms of Sonic's speed.
really? i couldntve tells much of a difference. however the amination while Sonic does stunts in the snowboard level seems a little too sped up from SA1. actually i sold the Gamecube version of SADX and bought the PC version which allegedly drops the framerate back to 30 fps and eliminates slowdown so i guess im not missing out on the speed factor anymore (hopefully)
Sonic Heroes was only good in the fact that it kept almost forgotten Sonic characters such as Vector, Espio, Charmy Bee and Metal Sonic alive. Espio was one of my favourites Sonic additions, of which there are plenty to choose from. Sure the gameplay in Knuckles Choatix got frustruting as hell at points but it was still some mindless Sonic fun.
agreed. at least the Chaotix werent completely nixed out of existence, except Mighty (my favorite:()
Sonic '06? Never played it, don't ever want to. Playing any Sonic game which is rated far worse than Sonic Heroes, SA2 and Shadow the Hedgehog might actually make me cry. The graphics didn't look too bad from videos I've seen but I think it was universally agreed that it wasn't that element of the game which made it so terrible, more the constant bugs.
bugs ,eh? now thats awful considering Sega didnt rush development of this game like they did with the ever-so glitchy SA1. at least Sonic's theme in Sonic 2006 was good. Zebrahead's been one of my favorite bands since 1999. i compiled a list of Seg-ism's in the Bomberman thread but ill put em here too:
situations where Sega failed and had alot on the line:
- poorly marketing the Sega Genesis Nomad (handheld system to play Genesis games with a starting price of $300) back in the day
- everything associated with the Sega Saturn (except Night into Dreams)
- allowing the release of the worst Sonic cartoon series ever and allowing its lame voice actors to voice act for their games as well
- not sticking to their original plan of making Sonic 360 a 3D reamke of the first Sonic
- not unglitching most if not all 3D Sonic titles
- this isnt a Sonic thread so ill stop
My dream for the next Sonic game is a 2D game with pseudo-3D graphics that plays like Sonic 3+Knux, with the same ingenius level design. Imagine Green Hill Zone with every blade of grass swaying in the wind, running through gorgeously styled and rendered levels and awesome moving backdrops. All running smoothly at 60fps please. Bring back the elements such as "Robotnik", Robotnik bosses at the end of levels, chaos emeralds, animal-based robot enemies (containing fluffy creatures), Metal Sonic and keep the playable cast limited to something along the lines of Sonic, Tails, Sonic + Tails, Knuckles and maybe Espio thrown in there for good measure.

It'd be a sorta traditional Sonic game with next-gen 2D graphics and the possibility for some absolutely massive and stunning levels.
that seems really awesome. and it has the potential to attractive old Sonic fans back to the 2D console classic ways except with a game that still looks good.
however, i dont for a second believe that Sonic in 3D doesnt work. Sonic X-Treme which was supposed to come out for Saturn (another Seg-ism) may or may not have been the answer to Mario 64 but it wouldve at least given us a better glimpse of how 3D Sonic's works. especially because Sonic Team's developmental processes were obviously way more structured back then as opposed to now. nonetheless, the Sonic levels of the 3D Sonic games are still the most fun to play (despite the occassional suicide) and so if Sega can do it right without havent to limit Sonic to rollcoaster style movement, we may eventually get the 3D Sonic experience we've been waiting for. too bad not anytime soon :(

Vali

Smash Ace
I actually found the Sonic portions of any 3D sonic games probably the 3rd least fun to play. You see, the translation of Sonic's speed and platforming from 2D to 3D just doesn't work when the camera and glitches/bugs are done in such a botch job. The camera in SA was pretty bad, another main reason why it doesn't compare as well to the 2D games, and the glitches weren't too bad, but honestly I preferred Tails, Knuckles and E102's sections to Sonic's. Had the platforming been of the same ilk of 2D Sonic it would've been a much different story.

@Got Blood?

Waaaaaaah!? Worse than Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06!? You've got to be kidding, surely.

Del Money

Smash Champion
I actually found the Sonic portions of any 3D sonic games probably the 3rd least fun to play. You see, the translation of Sonic's speed and platforming from 2D to 3D just doesn't work when the camera and glitches/bugs are done in such a botch job. The camera in SA was pretty bad, another main reason why it doesn't compare as well to the 2D games, and the glitches weren't too bad, but honestly I preferred Tails, Knuckles and E102's sections to Sonic's. Had the platforming been of the same ilk of 2D Sonic it would've been a much different story.
what if collision detection was (finally) resolved, and the camera was fixed behind Sonic the whole time (like in speed highway minus the loop in the beginning)? also Vali have you played Sonic R? if so how did you find the camera in that?
@Got Blood?

Waaaaaaah!? Worse than Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06!? You've got to be kidding, surely.
wow i didnt notice...
And SA was the worst Sonic game IMO.I literally got headaches from playing.:(
*quoting General Pepper at the end of SF64* "WHAAAAAAAAA??!!!"

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
i havent. SA2 is far too frustrating to even want to try and get all A's
Too true.

Unfortunately I have the DC version, which spontaneously deletes on its own from time to time. I've beaten SA2 with 180 emblems 3 times now, and SA2B with 180 emblems twice.

really? i couldntve tells much of a difference. however the amination while Sonic does stunts in the snowboard level seems a little too sped up from SA1. actually i sold the Gamecube version of SADX and bought the PC version which allegedly drops the framerate back to 30 fps and eliminates slowdown so i guess im not missing out on the speed factor anymore (hopefully)
Not too sure myself. When I play SA on DC, Sonic seems to Speed up extremely fast, and the constant mashing of the spin dash back to the run using the B button made the game hella fast, hard to control, an extremely fun. You can't do that dash movement in DX without it looking gay.

lol the original purpose of Sonic 2006, hence yet another Seg-ism
I was pissed when they changed that method...

poorly marketing the Sega Genesis Nomad (handheld system to play Genesis games with a starting price of $300) back in the day
Nomad = best handheld evar, second only to the Nintendo DS....

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
@Vali :The story in SA isn't bad,but the story in any Sonic game isn't bad,they're all pretty decent in fact.It's just that the graphics and gameplay sucked.SA2 Battle introduced cool new characters and had much better character models & gameplay.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Not too sure myself. When I play SA on DC, Sonic seems to Speed up extremely fast, and the constant mashing of the spin dash back to the run using the B button made the game hella fast, hard to control, an extremely fun. You can't do that dash movement in DX without it looking gay.
good point. well perhaps on the Gamecube version. the PC version was cleaned up a bit more (but still most of the same stuff)
Nomad = best handheld evar, second only to the Nintendo DS....
agreed (except for the 2 hours battery life on 6 AA batteries...i aint made of money ya know). GBA for 3rd place. Game Gear and PSP FTL

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I just got my Dreamcast to play Sonic Adventure for the first time in, like, 5 years. I was SO excited.

Then it crapped out on me after about 20 minutes.

I actually like Sonic Heroes, but I was also disappointed by it. I was really hoping it would explain Shadow being alive better (I was really upset when he "died" in SA2, go ahead and laugh). Instead they kind of copped out of it with that "Uhhhh...AMNESIA!!!....CLONES!!!!......WAT A TWEEST!!!!!!!" nonsense.

Vali

Smash Ace
@Vali :The story in SA isn't bad,but the story in any Sonic game isn't bad,they're all pretty decent in fact.It's just that the graphics and gameplay sucked.SA2 Battle introduced cool new characters and had much better character models & gameplay.
The only 2 characters it introduced were Shadow and Rouge both of which were horrible, usless additions to the franchise. The graphics were very good for a Dreamcast launch title and there was barely any difference in gameplay between SA and SA2, the main difference being that SA2 lacked more variety.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
The only 2 characters it introduced were Shadow and Rouge both of which were horrible, usless additions to the franchise. The graphics were very good for a Dreamcast launch title and there was barely any difference in gameplay between SA and SA2, the main difference being that SA2 lacked more variety.
Shadow and Rouge were excellent additions IMO. There were also a lot more moves introduced in SA2 and a few cool gadgets as well.SA2 was much better than SA.Now about Silver...:dizzy:

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Yeah because both of them are clones.. Its like Halo 2.. the Arbiter >< ...

But the gane was somewhat fun.. I liked finding all of the power ups and powers etc.

And its the only Sonic game I actually played through.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
agreed (except for the 2 hours battery life on 6 AA batteries...i aint made of money ya know). GBA for 3rd place. Game Gear and PSP FTL

Definately.

I still have my game gear.

With it, I have Power Rangers, Sonic 2, Ristar, and Mortal Kombat II. All remotely fun to play, using my Genesis adaptor.

Wish I had a Nomad. Then I could throw away my Genesis, which is still gathering dust in my room ever since I bought Mega Collection + and Gems Collection.

My Dreamcast is also gathering dust, I only play it for SA, SA2, Sega Swirl, and Resident Evil: Nemesis. Also, Ecco: DotF.

I don't know about anyone else, but I thought DC graphics were pretty awesome, better than PS1 and N64 in my own opinion...

PS: Anyone else besides me ever manage to get Shadows Fire Somersault on their first run through the game? WITHOUT the Light Dash? And without glitches or cheats?

Del Money

Smash Champion
I liked the gameplay in Sonic Heroes to a point.It wasn't a BAD game.It was just...a game...
it was more of the "spend 30 seconds killing a large enemy and beat in level in roughly 5+ minutes" that got to me. for a game that was claimed to stay "true to its root" (by those idiots at gamespot again) i dont recall any classic Sonic game with a level that took longer than 4 minutes TOPS to get through at full speed. Gamespot is starting to become about as reliable as Sega. personally i think SA2 is the closest of the 3D Sonic games to stay true to its roots except for the non-running levels
agreed. i guess my problem was playing SADX before SA2:Battle and those the major downgrade in character models was like a graphical slap in the face.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Why would you ever play Ecco? :crazy:
Ecco on the Genesis owned, so I took a chance and got Ecco for DC. Big mistake, but every now and then I like to just mess around in the game.

it was more of the "spend 30 seconds killing a large enemy and beat in level in roughly 5+ minutes"
QFT.

The last level, those 3 giant robots.....*shudder*.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Is that, that dolphin game.
sure is
Ecco on the Genesis owned, so I took a chance and got Ecco for DC. Big mistake, but every now and then I like to just mess around in the game.
3D ecco sucked? gotta add that to the Seg-ism list
QFT.

The last level, those 3 giant robots.....*shudder*.
i know right? if i hear E123 say "FIRE...FIRE...CHARGE" one more time....

but yeah anyone else play Sonic R? medicore racing game at best but i think the cmaera held up pretty nicely in that game (unlike all other 3D Sonics). any input?

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
sure is
3D ecco sucked? gotta add that to the Seg-ism list
i know right? if i hear E123 say "FIRE...FIRE...CHARGE" one more time....

but yeah anyone else play Sonic R? medicore racing game at best but i think the cmaera held up pretty nicely in that game (unlike all other 3D Sonics). any input?
Sonic R is one of the best Sonic games ever.Sort of surprised that it wasn't on Sonic Collection or gems.Super Sonic rocked in that game.And it also introduced the very cool Metal Knuckles and the Tails doll! :grin:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic R is one of the best Sonic games ever.Sort of surprised that it wasn't on Sonic Collection or gems.Super Sonic rocked in that game.And it also introduced the very cool Metal Knuckles and the Tails doll! :grin:
Sonic R is on Gems Collection....

Its a fun game.

Call me crazy, but I prefer Sonic Riders to Sonic R.

I had no idea people actually hated Shadow and Rouge.I think they're great character additions.
Ditto.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Oh,I didn't recall if it was on the gems collection.I liked Sonic Riders as well,but I think the best Sonic racing games were Sonic R (it had the tag mode which was cool and going backwards was fun :grin: ) and Sonic Drift.Such a great game.

Del Money

Smash Champion
I still have my game gear.

With it, I have Power Rangers, Sonic 2, Ristar, and Mortal Kombat II. All remotely fun to play, using my Genesis adaptor.
i gave me Game Gear to my younger sister. i always wanted Ristar for it. i had Sonic 2 and could never get past the Aqua Lake Zone. of course this was back when i was like 7. once i realized i was throwing away money on batteries everyday, i stopped played Game Gear
I don't know about anyone else, but I thought DC graphics were pretty awesome, better than PS1 and N64 in my own opinion...
agreed, though i owned an N64 and the jumper pak boosted its graphics to DC quality (like DK64 and 007 World is not enough for instance)
PS: Anyone else besides me ever manage to get Shadows Fire Somersault on their first run through the game? WITHOUT the Light Dash? And without glitches or cheats?
yes i tihnk, i dont remember cuz it was like 2 or 3 years ago but i definitely didnt cheat
I had no idea people actually hated Shadow and Rouge.I think they're great character additions.
Shadow is ok if unlike most fanboys you understand that he is NOT a badass. he's a confused hedgehog looking for answers and woe to people who get in his way but he is not a anti-Sonic devil's child badass that some stupid fanboys think which is probably why people are starting to hate him cuz Sega gave in and decided to give Shadow guns (even though i liked that game). Rouge is clearly Sega's washed up stab at sex appeal in Sonic games after failing with Amy for soo long. Rouge's character overall is adequate i guess. but the overall sexy stuff kinda makes her contribution to the game dumb. hell, they even say "Rouge, shes sexy and smooth" in the rap song for Wild Canyon (the Knuckles level) of SA2 (dont ask how i remember that)
its a decent game. Super Sonic was totally kickass though. but it just seems like the perfect example of 3D Sonic which a tolerable camera. anyone agree?
Now that I know what Ecco is I played a flash version, it was on joystiq.com. I remember it playing it though.
twhat the hell is joystiq.com?
Call me crazy, but I prefer Sonic Riders to Sonic R.
i wanna try Riders but not on my Gamecube, probably for PC instead. most of my Sonic games are on PC actually. i have:
- Sonic & Knuckles Collection (Sonic 3, S&K, S3&K),Sonic 3D Blast,Sonic R,Sonic CD, SADX, Sonic Heroes, Sega Smash Pack I (Sonic Spinball included),Sega Smash Pack II (Sonic 2 included)

i guess im a PC gamer at heart. hence the peti-...oh never mind lol

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Did anyone ever play Sonic Drift or Sonic Drift 2 for Game gear? It was Sonic and co. in awesome racecars.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Did anyone ever play Sonic Drift or Sonic Drift 2 for Game gear? It was Sonic and co. in awesome racecars.
good idea, mediocre game. every Sonic game gear game including Tails Skypatrol (no comment), Tails Adventure (which pwned) and buttniks (NOT EGGMANS) mean bean machine was included in SA:DX as unlockable and i think in Mega Collectiion Plus as well

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
good idea, mediocre game. every Sonic game gear game including Tails Skypatrol (no comment), Tails Adventure (which pwned) and buttniks (NOT EGGMANS) mean bean machine was included in SA:DX as unlockable and i think in Mega Collectiion Plus as well
correct.

but it just seems like the perfect example of 3D Sonic which a tolerable camera. anyone agree?
I do.

Sonic Drift....well..

It looked like the world was moving instead of the car itself, lol.

Fun to play multiplayer though.

"Rouge, shes sexy and smooth"
I remember that lyric...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Wouldn't all of his moves be spin attacks? :confused::confused: In Sonic Adventure 2, he just ran really fast and did spin attacks (like the jump-->homing attack).

Sorry, I've always liked Knuckles way better anyway. :p

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Wouldn't all of his moves be spin attacks? :confused::confused: In Sonic Adventure 2, he just ran really fast and did spin attacks (like the jump-->homing attack).

On the contrary,no.Check a few pages back,I made a pretty good (IMO) moveset,and there's not too much spinning at all.

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
Sonic Drift games were awful.

But if you want a know a REAL bad Sonic game, look at the Game Gear version of Spinball.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Sorry for the double post, I figure that I should post the response to Grim Lizard here then.

Ok,I figure since Del Money mentioned it,I'll make my own Sonic moveset.Granted I don't know any of the fancy lingo,I think you'll get the message.

A Attacks
---
A-Two basic jabs and a third kick

Up Smash-Breakdance kick

Down Smash-Sweep (Think mario)

Side Smash-Somersault Kick (from Sonic Advance games)

B Attacks
---

B-Spindash (Think Jigglypuff's roll)

Side B-Homing Attack (Sonic Adventure games)

Down B-Bounce (Sonic Adventure 2)

Up B-Sonic Wind (Sonic Adventure 2)

Ground Attacks
---
Running Tap A-Rolls into a ball (all Sonic games)

Crouch A-One legged sweep

Up A- Upward Punch

Walking A-High Kick

Ariel attacks
---
A-Kick

Side A-Foward Drill (think mario's side A but with reverse direction)

Down A-Stomp (Think C.Faclon)

Back A-Back Kick

Up A-Rotational kick (usually a ground move [see sonic battle],but would be utilized in midair)

Final Smash-Either Chaos Control (The other characters and background turn to negative coloring and Sonic has temporary time to attack his opponents) or Super Sonic (Like Pikachu's Final Smash.)

What do you guys think of it? It's not as in depth or thought out as I could do,but it's a good quickie I think.
Well,I think that's everything.Not a fantastic moveset,as I didn't take time to get incredibly original,but I think it covers all the bases.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I always thought that Down-B should be a spin dash, and the more you hit B, the faster it moves when unleashed. Neutral B could be bounce, just like it was in SA2 (in the air of course).

Also, I thought Sonic Battle gave Sonic many abilities that could suit him well for Brawl.

Sonic Battle was really one of my favorite post SA2 games.

SiD

Smash Master
God ****, I'm away for a day and you guys fill up like five pages. Time to use my powers to absorb all the info.....................oh crap, I lent my powers to a friend. Guess I'm just out of the loop.

Del Money

Smash Champion
yet another one of my infamous "quoting everyone" posts as ive been away for a bit
Sonic Drift....well..

It looked like the world was moving instead of the car itself, lol.

Fun to play multiplayer though.
yeah, thats 8-bit Game Gear graphics for ya. it wasnt too bad a game. nothing special at all though and no one ever wanted to play Sonic Drift multiplayer we me :(...especially since its easier on the Gamecube via SA:DX
nope. were all his moves spin attacks in Sonic Battle? or Sonic Championship (a.k.a Sonic the Fighters)?
i second that
Sonic Drift games were awful.

But if you want a know a REAL bad Sonic game, look at the Game Gear version of Spinball.
no and no again. try Sonic Labyrinth. youll vomit on the screen. defintely the worst Sonic game of all time next to 3D Blast
I always thought that Down-B should be a spin dash, and the more you hit B, the faster it moves when unleashed. Neutral B could be bounce, just like it was in SA2 (in the air of course).
true the down+B's generally dont propel characters forwards or back. i think holding B might make a better spindash move and that down+B could be the bounce. and thats a point i wanna get out there...lots of people who dont want Sonic in brawl (and that arent anti-Sonic-in-general pricks) are probably saying that because playing as Sonic in brawl wouldnt feel anything like playing as Sonic in a regular sonic game (preferably a classic 2D one). all i can say is that neither does the other cast of smash characters and plus smash isnt a platformer so thats that
Also, I thought Sonic Battle gave Sonic many abilities that could suit him well for Brawl.
agreed
Sonic Battle was really one of my favorite post SA2 games.
never got to play it:(. sold my GBA on ebay cuz i needed money
Spinball sucked? Man, your off your head, it was sick. Drift was good as well.
spinball=pretty good, drift=meh so-so. and Sonic R > Drift anyday

@ SiD - thats how we roll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom