• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
"Tails was cool to play but… tossing rings?"

That is Tails signature move He first used it in Tails Adventure (Game Gear) and also in other games (Sonic Heroes)

You made some good points, and yes, Sonic RPG will be awesome.
Sorry but no, if something is Tails signature move it's his tails swipe attack. Beside he threw bombs in Tails Adventures not rings.
The only game where he tossed rings was in Sonic Heroes, since he throw rings containers in Sonic Next-Gen.
Anyway SC:DB will be awesome, I predict it's going to reach the status of GOTY 2008.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Well this delay sucks. I totally planned a 10 day countdown on Jan. 28th T_T. Now I'll have to do it on Feb 27 or 28. I am totally disgrunted, I am handling it but one more delay And i totally crack.

Oh well, looks like the Age of Speculation is increased on Smashboards. Character speculation ends in a few weeks, so at least we'll know all the characters for all of Feb... which will mean most character updates on the DOJO will be pointless now after the 1st week of Febuary.

The only good news thta can come from this is some awesome mode or another 3rd party like Megaman or Bomberman. And personnaly, I guess i can easily set a goal to reach 2000 posts before Brawl comes out :/

(And SiegK, I can't give a Wii number because i don't have access to Wi-Fi as easily as you guys do)

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
Sorry but no, if something is Tails signature move it's his tails swipe attack. Beside he threw bombs in Tails Adventures not rings.
The only game where he tossed rings was in Sonic Heroes, since he throw rings containers in Sonic Next-Gen.
Anyway SC:DB will be awesome, I predict it's going to reach the status of GOTY 2008.
Ya, since its being developed by Bioware we can expect a good story and great game play.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Now c’mon we can’t shun out 3D Sonic games, they haven’t all failed.
I know. And though I didn't quote all of your post, I'm happy to know that at least another Sonic fan isn't completely flipping Shadow The Hedgehog the bird. The running/skating movement took some adjusting to, but besides the lousy vehicle controls and the useless punching and kicking attacks, the control scheme wasn't nearly as bad as everyone says. The gun control was a bit flawed, but was still bareable if you weren't a total ******.

Level design was poor in many instances, but it came as no surprise to me after playing some of the poorly designed levels in Sonic Heroes.

VA's sucked as usual.

Graphics weren't a step up from Dreamcast quality...huge disappointment, but then again no 3-D Sonic title prior to the current generation of consoles succeeded in doing that.

Shadow trying to sound cool by abusing 4th grade profanity was lame.

The story, like SiegK said, wasn't bad either. Why people constantly bash the story is beyond me. The only thing I dislike about the game is that it initially presented Shadow as something he wasn't intended to be. And like a lot of true Sonic fans who were perfectly satisfied with the true character development prior to that game (excluding idiots like Big, Cream, Cheese, and that slutty bat), that pissed me the hell off too.

I'm by no means saying Shadow was excellent. To be honest, I'd probably only give it a 5.5 or 6 out of 10. But it's not a total trash heap like Sonic Heroes. That game just felt like a chore to play. Playing at an average speed, no level in a Sonic game should EVER take more than 6 minutes at the most to beat.

Ya know what would be really cool. I would love this. If they remake the best Sonic game ever created. Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Into 3D (MAKE IT GOOD DAMMIT!) And redo it exactly the same, from every tile to every tree. Don’t even add Story line or Cut Scenes. Lol. Just game. No Chaos Emeralds in the Story line, only if you collect them yourself. And if you collect all 7 by 3rd stage (like I do) Then you can go Super Sonic whenever you want! (if you have 50 rings) for the rest of the game. THAT! Would be perfect. And yeah It could be two player for someone with Tails or tails could just follow you. Omg that would be so much fun!!!
This is what I initially thought SA1 was going to be like waaay back when it first announced. Imagine how disappointed I was was finding out that apart from Sonic and Tails, the gameplay for all other characters was completely balls-tastic. Honestly, I would've prefer Knuckles to be a get-to-the-end-of-the-level style of play as well...just like in S3&K. He could have different alterations of the level with walls to climb and different routes (just like in...you guessed it...S3&K). And he could move at a reasonable speed...perhaps not breakneck like Sonic, but not lameneck like Amy either. Either way, I was able to forgive Sega with SA1. Especially since it was Sonic's first real 3D platformer and that fact that the way each character's story tied together was cool (nothing like Final Fantasy-style epicness, but cool nonetheless).

Anyways, I completely digressed what was I was originally trying to say. I'm interested in how a good 3-D Sonic game should work on the Wii. All premiere Wii titles have taken huge advantage of the motion sensitivity control of the Wii. How would a legit, Sonic platformer (without on the on-rails bull****) work? It would be too bad to just use the GC controller, but it seem like a waste of potential (assuming there is some cool groundbreaking way to make a Sonic platformer taking advantage of the Wii-mote and still feel like a Sonic game).

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
I agree. I too was disappointed when Knuckles maps weren’t “get to the end” but even though they kind of bombed in Sonic Adventure, Knuckle’s levels were pretty **** awesome in Sonic Adventure 2.

In Sonic Adventure 2, I would have loved to have some speed levels with Knuckles too, but at least they got his movement down. He was fast, could Punch smoothly, drill dive was awesome, gliding and climbing were really well done, oh and did I mention he was fast! Remember righting the ghost boss, running around in a circle? My reaction: (even though it was just a circle) “Omg… this is how fast Knuckles should be!” It would have been awesome to add him into the 2 player Speed matches, am I right?

The best way I see Nintendo using the Wii Remote and Sonic is to include the Nun Chuck and play it like Super Mario Galaxy. Moving Sonic with the joy stick (like we’re use to), jumping with A, crouch with Z, Light Dash/roll kick with B. That’s all you really need. I mean as you go along you would pick up upgrades (that’s another thing I liked about Sonic Adventure 2). We don’t need too many controls and different buttons for attacks when it comes to Sonic games. Simple is good cause the game should be focused around its speed. Not all of his different moves with different button combinations.

As for the motion sensor? Umm, how about when doing a Homing attack, you didn’t want to press A a second time after you jump, then you could just point the direction you want to go (while air born) with the Joy Stick on the Nun Chuck and do a quick thrust forward with the Wii Remote to do a Homing attack (Not thrust the Wii Remote in the direction that would just cause problems, use the Joy stick for direction). That would be Simple, just as Mario’s quick spin of the Wii Remote to spin.

Moves:
Walk/Run: Joy Stick with Nun Chuck
Jump: A
Crouch: Z
Spin Ball: Z + A (or B)
Charging Spin Ball: Hold down Joy Stick and repeatedly press respected button.
Homing Attack: A, A. To hit a specific target, simple point the Joy Stick at desired enemy.
Alternate Homing Attack: A followed by a quick thrust of the Wii Remote, direction of Sonic’s path depends on direction of Joy Stick.
Summersault Sliding Kick/Slip under close door ways: B.
Bounce Ball: A, B. To continue bouncing or reach higher bounce press B repeatedly.
Light Dash: When near a path of Rings, press B.
Grind: Simply land on the rail.
Switch Rail: Point Joy Stick is desired direction and press A.

Looks like a lot by the read, but it’s just the same as Sonic Adventure 2 but with a Wii Remote. This would be perfect. But I’m sure Nintendo would find some way to make a mini part of the game that has to only do with the Motion Sensor that would screw it up. But as My idea stands, I think it would work out perfectly.

Oh and by the way, Nilok, your idea is awesome. My Move Set, Your Game Ideas? Eh eh?

Dark Luna

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I stand corrected, he did use bombs in Tails Adventure (Haven't played it in a while) but usually, Tails is associated with rings. His Tail swipe is used in adventure 1 and the advance games, and battle I think. His tail swipe is more used, but it wasn't too suprising he used ring bombs in 06.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Yeah, nunchuk allows the Wii to be play with a familiar controller feel. Plus not all the many buttons are needed for a Sonic game. But with regards to more motion sensing implementation, I was thinking maybe using the Wii-mote to activate thing within the level like pull a lever or cranking some kind of transport device or summat.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Yeah, that’s a bit generic though. But I wouldn’t mind that, Or say there is some kind of device you have to charge, Sonic jumps in starting a Spin Ball and you charge the Spin Ball faster you have to spin the Wii Remote in a circle (like in the shot put in Mario and Sonic at the Olympics)
Or Is it’s a kind of Running charge device then you get on top of the device and run with the Wii Remote and Nun Chuck like in Mario and Sonic at the Olympics and Rayman.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
Yeah, nunchuk allows the Wii to be play with a familiar controller feel. Plus not all the many buttons are needed for a Sonic game. But with regards to more motion sensing implementation, I was thinking maybe using the Wii-mote to activate thing within the level like pull a lever or cranking some kind of transport device or summat.
Does seem more like that way, what can I say I feel the Wii-mote doesn't play as big a role of the nun chuck, I did play Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity for like 5 mins like the other day and that was alright wiimote style and what not. O out of topic Yo Del Money hows it been .....and @_@ brawl delayed again :(.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Yeah, that’s a bit generic though. But I wouldn’t mind that, Or say there is some kind of device you have to charge, Sonic jumps in starting a Spin Ball and you charge the Spin Ball faster you have to spin the Wii Remote in a circle (like in the shot put in Mario and Sonic at the Olympics)
Or Is it’s a kind of Running charge device then you get on top of the device and run with the Wii Remote and Nun Chuck like in Mario and Sonic at the Olympics and Rayman.
Yeah it could be a variety of things. I never thought of how much of a variety of devices there were in the classic Sonic games....like the pull-down pendulums in Mushroom Hill Zone and the spinning tops in Marble Garden. It would be cool to see some of those back. There's a variety of things that could be done with the Wii-mote in that respect. It just seems like the best way to incorporate it into a 3D Sonic game since the generic control scheme seems to work best with the nunchuck's analog stick and the buttons.
Does seem more like that way, what can I say I feel the Wii-mote doesn't play as big a role of the nun chuck, I did play Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity for like 5 mins like the other day and that was alright wiimote style and what not. O out of topic Yo Del Money hows it been .....and @_@ brawl delayed again :(.
Yeah the Wii-mote by itself seems to simplistic for a 3D Sonic game...which is probably why SatSR was an on-rails game. I couldn't imagine using Wii-mote tilting/shaking for a free-roaming adventure. Oh and good to see you back here, K-Swiz. Last I remember, we were bashing the **** out of Sega...hell, I still bash the **** out of Sega except at least they were smart enough to put the hedgehog in Brawl. Apparently, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics is just about as bad as I expected to be too (according to many reviews). I haven't tried it myself yet, but I really expected it to do well. Guess, Miyamoto can't save the hedgehog either...

Oh and side note: Sonic #183...the ending was soo predictable, but so kickballs at the same time. I got wet britches in anticipation for #184...SO PYSCHED. Oh and who else thinks that the series will stop at issue #200? The Archie guys seem to be running out of ideas if you ask me.

SonicMario

Smash Master
That's too bad that it did get some bad reviews. I heard at IGN it almost got an 8, 7.9ish. But still it got lots of sales just because it is the 1st game of 2 to have Sonic & Mario in it, and that the fact that Nintendo was selling it as "Wii Sports 2 with more Depth". I heard it rivaled Galaxy's sale at one time... at least I saw it on Cubed3. But as long as Sonic RPG goes well, I'm sure Sonic the Hedgehog will live on longer then what sort of stuff like 06 that come up.

Boy these boards are getting intense, I may have to become a hermit in the Sonic boards if it reaches too high. But I don't think I could do that for more then 1 week. I just hope soem of this will calm down once the roster is revealed in Feburary. Right, now I just want to get to Sonic. All other characters that come up are just gonna be Sonic's Fodder after I'm done with them heheheh :evil:

Repryx

Smash Champion
lolz SM you do realize that mario pit and MK are all threats 2 sonic lolz simply from gimpy's analysis....and sheik has returned sooooo....

also if ike gets faster he will become a threat

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
Oh and side note: Sonic #183...the ending was soo predictable, but so kickballs at the same time. I got wet britches in anticipation for #184...SO PYSCHED. Oh and who else thinks that the series will stop at issue #200? The Archie guys seem to be running out of ideas if you ask me.
I wish I could find any issues of it, they don't sell them anywhere over here. I tried the torrent and such but it never seems to work, so I've missed a lot of issues since then.

Del Money

Smash Champion
I wish I could find any issues of it, they don't sell them anywhere over here. I tried the torrent and such but it never seems to work, so I've missed a lot of issues since then.
You're missing out huge, man.
You should try Borders.
And if they don't have if there then try eBay.
And if you don't use eBay then try here...http://stuffshop.archiecomics.com/sonic.html
And if you don't like shopping online then get someone on this thread (other than myself cuz I don't have a scanner) to scan the order form page that comes with every issue onto their photobucket and then give you the link so you can print it out and mail it to archie.

I'm so pumped that the comics have started getting good again.

SiegK

Smash Champion
also if ike gets faster he will become a threat
If Ike gets faster, Lulz. trust me, he wont. And Shiek? Psh, unless ur a cheap Shiek, Sonic runs circles around her. Pit ia ok, I feel he is kind of a glossy character like Sonic. Slides alot, smooth move into move kinda character. Slick with attacks but not so much on his feet, about normal there. Mario? Yeah, Being a Doc and a mario Main, I think Sonic will be too fast for him, but you would have to really be able to control his speed if ur against a Good Mario player. Cause i see Sonic like Fox.
Fox is like, broken. Yeah, and even a newb can look like its not his/her first time playing Smash. See, Sonic is faster then Fox so he is like him in that sense, but you have to be a vet Smash player to do good with Sonic. Cause say you never really play smash and u pick up Sonic, ur gunna be all over the place.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If Ike gets faster, Lulz. trust me, he wont. And Shiek? Psh, unless ur a cheap Shiek, Sonic runs circles around her. Pit ia ok, I feel he is kind of a glossy character like Sonic. Slides alot, smooth move into move kinda character. Slick with attacks but not so much on his feet, about normal there. Mario? Yeah, Being a Doc and a mario Main, I think Sonic will be too fast for him, but you would have to really be able to control his speed if ur against a Good Mario player. Cause i see Sonic like Fox.
Fox is like, broken. Yeah, and even a newb can look like its not his/her first time playing Smash. See, Sonic is faster then Fox so he is like him in that sense, but you have to be a vet Smash player to do good with Sonic. Cause say you never really play smash and u pick up Sonic, ur gunna be all over the place.
Ok, added Sheik and Mario on my list of who I'm gonna beat you with :p
And lol, Dedede is even slower than Ike, it's gonna be funny beatin you :chuckle:

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
I read the article about the Sonic RPG by BioWare that was in NP. All I can say is that I can't freaking wait for this game. My party is going to have Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles, and Big. Hopefully though, I can get someone else that will replace Big, cause Amy, Rouge, and Tails just wont cut it (especially Tails). The art looks fantastic, and they are remixing some of the music from the old Genesis games! I hope it doesn't disappoint when it comes out this fall. That's right, I said This Fall. Hopefully it wont get delayed, so I have something to kill the time while I am not at home playing Brawl.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Well the main reason Fox was so good was not only because of his speed but the priority of his moves, the high amount of damage they caused, his shine, his infinite combo. So on and so forth.
The difference between Fox and Sonic is that Fox had moves that did over 20% damage and since this game the amount of damage required to KO an opponent has risen, I don't believe the added speed will make him better than Melee's Fox. i actually believe he is somewhat lesser because of the lack of a sex kick, no attacks that do over 20% damage, and that two of his specials (spin charge and homing attack) haven't appeared to be as useful. I am going based on what I saw in the E for all video.
I think he'll be a force to be reckoned with but not as dangerous as Melee's Fox who as you said was broken.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Well.... Id put a Sonic Post right now. And comment on you, ShadowLink. but... I g2g buy tickets for a 12:00am showing of Cloverfield. So yeah, g2g buy that. But I will say thins... yeah Fox was way Buff and top tier but Brawl seems a lot more slowed down then Melee. But Sonic feels like your playing Melee. Speed FTW!!!

SonicMario

Smash Master
Urg..
I'm getting really mad with all the people complaining about Sonic's Voice in Brawl. I've had it. I'm making a thread tomorrow in the Sonic section just to make an attempt to stop most n00bs from saying "I'm not playing as Sonic becuase Jasonwhatshisname (Griffith) is the voice. It's either Ryan, or I'm switching to Japanese". Anybody with me?

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
I don't really care who the voice actor is. It would have been great if Jaleel White had the job (for nostalgic reasons), but as long as Sonic is actually in Brawl, I am content.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Urg..
I'm getting really mad with all the people complaining about Sonic's Voice in Brawl. I've had it. I'm making a thread tomorrow in the Sonic section just to make an attempt to stop most n00bs from saying "I'm not playing as Sonic becuase Jasonwhatshisname (Griffith) is the voice. It's either Ryan, or I'm switching to Japanese". Anybody with me?
I hate complainers like that T-T

"ZOMG! D3 betta n0t h@v3 teh @n!m3 v0!(3!!11!"
If I have to hear one more person saying an anime reference on a character >.<

Garuda

Smash Ace
Agreed. Not only is Jason not all that bad, quite different from Ryan, but it really doesn't change a **** thing.

And they're going "OH THE GAME IS DELAYED IN AMERICA, RYAN HAS A CHANCE", I'm thinking "dude, THE GAME IS DELAYED, do you even care about the GAME for a small second?" Yes, third-person speech is awesome.

On a side note, unless it has to do with 4Kids (which isn't always bad, Robotnik's voice is AWESOME), I'm sick of people complaining about how great Japanese voices are compared to American ones. The Japanese version of Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie was practically crap compared to the English version... except for a certain part that SF fans should know of.

Okay, I want to avoid a rant, just trying to relate to you guys. I BEG OF YOU NOT TO TALK ABOUT THE STREET FIGHTER THING, WE'LL GET OFF-TOPIC.

Man, those cameras brought at E For All, they made Sonic seem not all THAT fast... but when I saw that commercial, I was baffled as to how in the world anyone could control him. But hey, I'll be able to control him eventually, I'm sure.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC