• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

The BlackChrimson

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I have a question...though I may have missed any info on how it's performed, would someone please explain to me how Sonic's DI works and performed?
It's a vital piece of info that would save me a lot of trouble in matches.

Reason why I'm asking is that I've heard left and right of DIing in several different fashions, and they all seem to fit for different characters. Since no one else besides myself whom uses Sonic can't really help me very much with anything...can you guys give me a hand?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
DI isn't any different from character to character.

Now if you're talking about his momentum-cancel, that's a different story.

To do that, you need to fast-fall your Fair, and then as fast as you can release a single-charged Aerial Spin Charge, do it. It will get rid of all momentum you have and carry to back towards the stage.

MaverickZ

Smash Cadet
I was just wondering, is uair better than fair for momentum cancel? Or it doesn't really matter which one you use?

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Fast Fall Fair is better than uair. Fast fall fair --> down B to momentum cancel, just cause the down b will cancel horizontal momentum. Use the C stick to hit the fair and hit down on the control stick to fast fall, then hit the down B so you move forward.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I think Fair is 2 frames faster (to finish) than Uair. That's the only difference, is that it lets you down-B sooner than Uair. For fastfalling they're equivalent.

The BlackChrimson

Smash Apprentice
Right, that momentum cancel...using that with a perfect DI would make Sonic nearly impossible to kill in some situations, wouldn't it?

Thank you very much for that info. :3

MaverickZ

Smash Cadet
I can survive using fair or uair fastfall but I didn't know wich one was better, I'm going to try to use down B after the fair then. Thanks for the info.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about impossible, but it makes it much harder to kill sonic, yes.
And infz, i did not know that about uair and fair, does that mean that if I didn't use the down B after it, it wouldn't matter which one i used for momentum cancel (the uair or fair?).

And no prob maverickz, good luck.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I don't know about impossible, but it makes it much harder to kill sonic, yes.
Yes, that's correct. While it certainly helps Sonic to have this, it doesn't make him impossible to kill. There is only so much you can do before the amount of hitstun (yes, it exists in this game) and knockback are too much to overcome.

Just another neat trick with momentum-canceling. If you happen to have an item while you're in knockback, just toss it forward. It's faster than anything Sonic has for aerials. I'm not sure if you can fastfall an item toss, but even if you can't it's still a very good method because you can act really fast out of an item toss.

infomon

Smash Scientist
And infz, i did not know that about uair and fair, does that mean that if I didn't use the down B after it, it wouldn't matter which one i used for momentum cancel (the uair or fair?).
Correct. Unless those 2 extra frames were important for you in some other way, lol.

Just remember to fastfall then asap.

Just another neat trick with momentum-canceling. If you happen to have an item while you're in knockback, just toss it forward. It's faster than anything Sonic has for aerials. I'm not sure if you can fastfall an item toss, but even if you can't it's still a very good method because you can act really fast out of an item toss.
Trufax. You can't fastfall the item-toss but it's super-fast. It's UEBER-fast if you airdodge first (as soon as you can during hitstun) and then cancel the airdodge's first few frames with an item-throw (!) to throw the item earlier than you could if you just mashed item-throw when you get hit (since airdodges can begin earlier in hitstun than aerials/item-throws). But that requires some mad techskill.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Okay, very urgent question.

Potentially match-up breaking.

When does your spring disappear, or is it on a timer? Can it disappear while someone's jumping off of it?

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Okay, very urgent question.

Potentially match-up breaking.

When does your spring disappear, or is it on a timer? Can it disappear while someone's jumping off of it?
Match-Up breaking...?

Well, a grounded spring stays for 3 seconds. (Anyone can use it at that time, as long Sonic hasn't gone back down to the ground and Up-B'd again) A falling spring disappears if it hits another player or after it bounces off ground.

Don't quote me on this though.

crap, got ninja'd.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So it can disappear even when a character's on it? :/

Hrm, I might have to do some specific testing myself. I'll come back later today to see if my theory works.

For your sake, let's hope it doesn't. :p

Kupo Rose

*wonder if it's jumping on Sonic's spring and Uair'ing Sonic instead of the other way around*

Nah.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
If it ends up working the way I want it to, this could end up being very very bad for Sonic.

It'd just be one match-up though, and it could be completly avoided by never using Up-B on stage. :p

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If it's anything involving the spring, we don't have to worry about it.

Who the hell uses ground spring anymore anyways? The Anthinus combo doesn't even WORK anymore.

Kupo Rose

Loool.

But yeah, not many Sonic's would use a grounded spring, (If any at all) unless they're setting something up.

At most, casual Sonic's will be springing from the air (followed by a Dair) so you won't be able to use it anyway. (Which is a habit people need to stop, including myself)

Browny

Smash Hater
If it ends up working the way I want it to, this could end up being very very bad for Sonic.

It'd just be one match-up though, and it could be completly avoided by never using Up-B on stage. :p
think about what youre implying here

Sonic is going to use spring on the ground, so someone nearby and run up, jump on the spring and chase him. Sonic can dair and touch the ground again before you even set foot on the spring.

and i swear spring dair is legit. maybe ill get some new vids up... ive been using it a bit recently. Its possible to minimise the risk drastically with the same reward as before. You just gotta mix it up. remember its not merely the act of spring-dairing which gives sonic an options, its the fact that he CAN spring dair, which increases the risk of the enemies options, making them do things they would not otherwise be forced to do against many other characters :)

Kupo Rose

Hey Meno, does this "match up breaking" technique have anything to do with Peach's Uair strings that has been getting a few hypes lately?

Alrighty.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Hehehehe...

There's some mechanics I'm not mentioning.

All it would take would be for the spring to be there. Sonic's presence after that would be completly negligible.

And no. Nothing to do with the uair string.

Browny

Smash Hater
well youre not scaring me

there exists little reason to ever believe an enemy could benefit from using the spring, not considering how rare an occasion it is when an enemy is able to do so.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I hate theory crafting. So why don’t you stop beating around the bush and tell us what this ‘thing’ is.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
What DJ Browny said.

That, and all it takes is another UpB from another location to potentially ruin your "secret" technique anyways.

Edit: If DJ Browny was a yellow colored member, that would've been a team blast right thar.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Although Chis put it a stern matter, I think he's right.

Unless you are our very enemy, there is little reason you can't work with us to help halt an opponent's metagame against Sonic, or advance Sonic's metagame against a specific opponent or against the cast in general. We don't bite, you have my word.

Although it hurt, I was there alongside CiTH when we found out that Sonic's D-Throw was techable. Sure there could've been other people who knew it was possible, though nobody made it public like Boxob did. At first I was very angry at him (and myself), but ever since I've started to implement other throws that even with proper DI, still have more uses, follow-ups, and more importantly, more damage. I Think it's made me better, and it will certainly help any person who wants to unlock Sonic's 100% potential to know "not to use D-Throw."

Now unless you're bluffing, would you care to tell us what you're thinking up of...?

infomon

Smash Scientist
While Meno's being dumb, this nonsense about spring made me think of a new tech for Sonic that may or may not work!

It's dubz only (sad):
ground a spring.
be teamed with someone with a projectile (ex. falco)
Sonic repeatedly footstools falco onto the spring while Falco spams lasers in a ridiculous wall of lazars!!

ok that makes no sense
but it makes more sense than meno :)

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
>:[

Jeez, it's not like I come across these kinda things often. Lemme be excited about something for once.

But fine, I'll be back in a sec to reveal and confirm whether this works.

infomon

Smash Scientist
sure, or just reveal and we'll do the confirming :bee:

but more importantly:
Footstool A Projectile-Shooter Onto Spring combo
= FAPSOS Combo!

(pronounced "fap-sauce")

^^ we shall forever honour Meno for this game-breaking enhancement to Sonic's metagame.

:093:

Kupo Rose

Well, at least I got the Peach part right. >.> :D

I can't really see how you thought this was a "match up breaking" threat to Sonic though.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I theory, I wanted to stay on the spring for the duration of the match. Assuming I had the lead.

Kupo Rose

Duration of... Less than 3 seconds? o.o

We already told you the Spring is only there for 3 seconds though and it can be taken off by Sonic just UpB'ing again lol.

But yeah, stick to pictochat, assuming it ain't banned.

infomon

Smash Scientist
i want some fapsos on my steak
That's easy. Just get two sonics to stand right next to each other.
Sonic 1 up-B's
Sonic 2 up-B's and footstools off Sonic 1
Sonic 1 up-B's again (the footstool restores your up-B, remember) and footstools off Sonic 2
repeat ad nauseum as the steaks skyrocket off the screen.

One might call this "fapping off".

:093:

Browny

Smash Hater
I can make it yellow now... BUT FOR IT TO BE COMPLETE

espy change your avatar to Sonic, chis to knuckles

do ittttttttttt

Top Bottom