• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Bros. Brawl Complaint Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roller

Smash Legend
I've got about 50 complaints (even though i still think it is amazing), however i'm not gonna get into them all right now. what i want to vent about is that the crappy online interface doesn't allow you to challenge people, you have to start a game and pray someone decides to join. That is so retarted I don't even know where to begin. Also you can only friend 64 people... I have to write everyones down now as well because I've got about 100 friend codes. They should have just made the limit 999 or something, what the heck is the point of the limit anyway? I have about 20 other online complaints as well, atleast 4 of them pertaining to lag, but thats really all im gonna say for now.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
rollerking i completely agree with u but dont double post, just edit your first one.

i hate onlines 64 friend limit wtf nintendo just because your staff is made up of 64 people thus u only having 64 friends doest mean we do....

Roller

Smash Legend
rollerking i completely agree with u but dont double post, just edit your first one.
KK

i hate onlines 64 friend limit wtf nintendo just because your staff is made up of 64 people thus u only having 64 friends doest mean we do....
LOL, they don't have friends. I think you made a funny.

Wait....I work at nintendo...

No I don't. But what if I did? I think I'd have to kill myself for making Brawl's online so god**** crappy.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
what pisses me off is that nothing cool is ever going on around me, no tourneys so i cant go to my first one, i just checked out the crew finder thread and noone is near me, theres only like a group of 8 or ten of us that play (seriously) in my town and most of all the online sucks.

Roller

Smash Legend
If you want good online competition I highly recommend signing up for the singles SSBB ladder on mlgpro.com there is some really good competition over there and almost all of them have great internet connections.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
DK levels

I don't like the Donkey Kong levels in Brawl very much. I hate the new one titled Rumble Falls. I can't believe they did another jungle level. In the DKC games there were a variety levels such as: Pirate ships, caves, castles, temples, snow, volcanoes and vines. Personally I don't like the scroll up levels, but they should have made a Toxic Tower scroll up level instead. That would have been awsome trying to keep away from the toxic. Brawl did already give the gamers a temple, castle, snow/ice, ship, snow/ice levels; but a level tied to a past game would have been nice over some plain jungle level. Another idea for a moving stage could have also been Screech's Sprint where you have to follow the original race course while watching out for the racing Squawks and Screech and not letting them hit you into the vines or off the stage.

This really bother me that much; but it would have been cool having unique DK stages because the levels in the DKC games were unique. Some SSB64 stages like Saffron and Hyrule should have been in as well. Those stages would have made Brawl even better.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
I think it's a 10/10 game, since 10/10 to me doesn't mean "perfect" but only "awesome in every way." In spite of that, though, oh man, the number of complaints I have... Might as well get them all out of the way in one gargantuan post.

Art complaints

Alternate costumes. Where are they? :( The team had time to model 544 trophies, but they couldn't get two costumes per character? Misguided focus there. :( Just a few of the awesome outfits that could have been:

Mario - Dr. Mario, Sunshine sleeves, Shadow Mario
Link - Farmhand, Ocarina of Time clothes
Pikachu - Female tail design, party hat
Samus - The real Fusion suit, default Power Suit (no huge shoulders)
Zelda - A Link to the Past dress, Marin, Zelda 1 dress, Malon, Oracle Nayru
Bowser - Mario Strikers armor
Yoshi - Boshi
Peach - Sunshine outfit, Tennis or Golf outfit, Mario Strikers uniform, Shadow Queen, real Daisy, Rosalina (well, I know there was no Mario Galaxy stuff in, so maybe not that)
Luigi - Mr. L, Cosmic Luigi
Zero Suit Samus - Chozo training clothes, Fusion ending clothes, Zero Mission ending clothes, Justin Bailey outfit
Pokemon Trainer (trainer) - Leaf Green girl, Pearl girl, Team Aqua/Galactic/Magma/Rocket Grunt
Pokemon Trainer (Pokemon) - Black and white Game Boy homage
Sheik - Ocarina of Time clothes
Ness - Ninten
Captain Falcon - Berserker
Ganondorf - Ocarina of Time clothes , Wind Waker design
Jigglypuff - Ninja headband

Music complaints

The soundtrack is really phenomenal. Amazing. Stupendous. Fantastic. Excellent. Every positive word can be applied to this soundtrack. And that's exactly why it's such a shame that so many wonderful themes are stuck on stages that nobody wants to play. (Or sometimes nobody except me. I'd play Port Town Aero Dive, but I'm basically the only one.) Route 209 is lost to the ages by being stuck on Spear Pillar. Mona Pizza and Ashley's Song are trapped in WarioWare. Flat Zone 2 is, of course, locked in the lion cage of Flat Zone 2. Awesome freaking music that I'll never hear because nobody plays those stages.

My Music was one of the greatest ideas they had for this game, period, but I think they stopped a little too short. Every song from a series should have been playable on every stage from that series. What I wouldn't give to rip Humoresque of a Little Dog and the Mother 3 Love Theme out of Non-Playable City and dump them in Onett. To get Bramble Blast and King K. Rool and practically everything out of Rumble Falls and into--well, Jungle Japes, I guess. (JJ still sucks, though, but it's not nearly as bad as Rumble Falls or 75m.)

And even stages that I like are still hogging music that I wish they weren't. I'd love to play Pokemon Center on Pokemon Stadium 1. Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 on Delfino Plaza. One of the two Star Wolf themes on Corneria. Or how about at least being able to play Corneria on Corneria?

I understand, very much, that for the most part the creators picked themes specifically for each stage. I get that Tetris Type A makes infinitely more sense for Luigi's Mansion than it would for Delfino Plaza, and I get that Tal Tal Heights makes infinitely more sense for Pirate Ship than it would for Bridge of Eldin. But I still think the options should have been there. The Melee stages would especially have benefitted from being able to play all of the music from their series.

Also, they really should have put in Lyn's theme. But that's more of a personal nitpick. :p

Stage complaints

First of all, the lack of Dreamland 64 or anything remotely like Dreamland 64. :(

Second, the lost potential with Stage Builder hurts me. :( Not like I'm asking that much by saying that they could have at least made the Subspace Emissary backgrounds useable. Why aren't they useable? They're already programmed into the game. They're already there. I'm not saying "They should have spent another few weeks making more backgrounds just for Stage Builder." I'm saying "They should have spent one or two days making the backgrounds that they already created useable in Stage Builder." Should have been easy. Shouldn't it?

Third, the need for a stage hazard switch has become more noticeable now than ever before. I'd play Rumble Falls if I could flip a switch to keep it at its slow pace the entire time. I'm sure other people would play Port Town Aero Dive with me if I could go into the options menu and tone down the power of the cars. Spear Pillar would be okay if Dialga was the only one who ever appeared. If health recovery was the only reward in WarioWare, I'd play there pretty often. Flat Zone 2 would be about thirteen times better without those chair people.

Sure, there's no real way to save Non-Playable City, Hyrule Cample, or 75m unless you play in Mega Brawl mode, but I realize that you can't win 'em all. I'm just saying that a stage hazard switch would improve a lot of stages enormously.

Character complaints

Well, saving the biggest for the last... I'm not going to complain about characters who didn't make it in--because, honestly, the only one I would really really really have wanted (Colette from Tales of Symphonia) never had even the slightest chance--but just about the balance of the ones who did. While overall I think they got the balance much better than in Melee, and I commend that, I also truly don't understand some of the design decisions they made with the characters. (Feel free to correct me if I'm factually wrong on anything below, but these are my observations so far.)

Take Mario vs. Luigi. How did they look at these two characters and not notice that Luigi does practically everything better, except for not reflecting projectiles and having a lame dash attack? Luigi has longer limbs, so he's got slightly better reach. His down air and down special are infinitely, infinitely more helpful than Mario's. He jumps higher. His up tilt seems to have less lag. His up special has about five times more potential due to the sweet spot. Luigi's recovery is miles better due to the tornado.

Or take Samus vs. Zero Suit Samus. ZSS is faster, has much better melee range, and doesn't actually have any reduced power compared to Samus. Her back air and side special are as good at KOing at as anything Samus has to offer, and ZSS has faster attacks in general. ZSS is lighter, sure, but that's hardly compensation for all the things that happened to nerf Samus. How did they not notice that during development?

Then there's Yoshi, who 1) is the only character who can't jump out of a shield, and 2) has sucked in every single Smash game. Again, I just don't see how they didn't notice that Yoshi's never been good and buff him up accordingly. They certainly did enough to improve Zelda.

Peach is a great example of a nerfed character who didn't need to be nerfed. (Although I would say her up tilt and side special are much, much better than before.) Her second jump gets such little height I'm not even sure it can be called a jump. Now, this would be okay if nobody else got much height either, but in a game where Kirby and Jigglypuff are still flying around and now there's Meta Knight along with Pit, R.O.B., and King Dedede (the three masters of the "Never Say Die" motto), Melee Peach's jump height wouldn't be out of place at all. Considering that she's lighter than Pit, R.O.B., and Dedede anyway, it would even make a lot of sense for her to still have that excellent recovery.

Jigglypuff is... Yeah, I don't even want to think about what they did to Jigglypuff. :/ With everybody having multiple air dodges and less hit stun now, aerial prowess doesn't mean nearly as much as it did before. The old power of Rest is sorely needed, but even that wouldn't make up for how outmoded Jiggs is in the Brawl world--and she's always been my favorite Smash character. They could have at least done something like buffing Sing to a hitbox the size of Din's Fire, to make it even vaguely compare to much better stunning moves such as ZSS' down smash and neutral special. Blah.

Captain Falcon needed the old knee. Actually, he needed a lot of old stuff. I can't even figure out what's wrong with him in Brawl, but this is the only version of Falcon that I can't use effectively in the least.

Then we've got the Captain Falcon clone, Ganondorf. The worst character in the game, almost unmistakably. He's so bad I'm almost certain that if every one of his attacks did 7 more damage than it does, he'd still be awful just because he has no way at all to approach anybody with a projectile or a sword--which is practically the entire cast. His dash attack got lag that it didn't need, his down special seems to have a smaller hitbox. His recovery is very possibly the worst in the entire game. His fantastic jab is now awful.

For yet more insult, he has absolutely nothing on the other heavyweights or power characters. Bowser is heavier, has faster attacks, has much better recovery, and can suicide kill more effectively than Ganon. King Dedede is heavier, has faster attacks, has infinitely better recovery, has longer melee reach, and has an excellent projectile. Ike moves faster, has faster attacks, has stronger attacks, has better recovery, has much more range, and has access to super armor attacks. Donkey Kong is heavier, has faster attacks, has longer melee range, and has better recovery.

How did the Smash team make an oversight of this caliber? How did nobody look at these characters and notice that Ganondorf lagged behind all of them in every way that could or would ever matter? This isn't like my Mario vs. Luigi mini-rant where I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong. I'm almost certain I'm not wrong about Ganondorf. Bowser could have no moves other than his up special, jab combo, forward tilt, and forward air and he'd probably still be better than Ganondorf. King Dedede could have nothing but Waddle Dees, grabs, and an up tilt. (Not even his up special.) Donkey Kong could live with one tilt, one aerial, and his up special. Ike could have his jab combo and back air only and I think he'd outclass Ganon by far.

Look, I don't know how game programming works, but I know that a place like Smashboards was able to take Melee and figure out the priority for every move, the number of frames it took to connect, etc., so I'd imagine that Brawl's creators could also do these things. And if that's so, I would think someone would have noticed that, for example, Ganondorf's fastest attack is slower than DK's slowest. (It's just a hypothetical; I'm not sure if that's true, but it sure seems like it.) Can companies make that kind of cross-character comparison? If not, it would certainly explain a lot about why there's historically always been great imbalance in fighting games, but that doesn't make sense to me considering that fighting game communities can make these statistical breakdowns all the time.

Anyway, off of that tangent and off of Ganondorf. How about Snake? Why does he have disjointed hitboxes for his arms and limbs? Why do his tilts have the power of most characters' smashes while still having the speed of tilts? On top of all of this, his recovery is among the best in the game and he's not light in the least. Again, if they could just compare the statistics of the characters, the disparity in power should have been noticed...

Lastly, R.O.B. Somehow and some way, it seems like nobody had the passing thought that a medium-weight character with the best recovery in the game, the best down smash in the game, two of the best projectiles, the ability to reflect projectiles, a forward tilt with incredible range, and incredible speed for his forward air, up air, and down tilt just might have been a cut above most of the rest. I'm not saying it's wrong that R.O.B. is excellent in all of these ways, but shouldn't they have seen just how bad most other characters end up looking by comparison?

Yeah, if you can't tell, I'm just really at a loss to explain how some things were handled. Again, the overall balance feels much better to me than before, yet a lot of the low-end characters seem like they're just damaged beyond recognition.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
ok heres my absolute biggest complaint: i dont have a wii, i get to play all the time but not in the comfort of my own home, all my friends still have school (i dropped out) so we cant hang out late and every time i have money for the wii the store doent have any and i end up buying something else,i need a wii

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
ok heres my absolute biggest complaint: i dont have a wii, i get to play all the time but not in the comfort of my own home, all my friends still have school (i dropped out) so we cant hang out late and every time i have money for the wii the store doent have any and i end up buying something else,i need a wii
So... use the internet? There's some sites that list where to get a wii.

Or don't bother if Brawl is all you want... just buy a $30 gamecube and a $25 Melee :p

Btw, too much death metal is bad for the soul.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
soul what the hell is that...? can i eat it? does it make me more metal? i already got melee and i rox at it and also most the places i see on the internet is way to expensive after s&h and all but thx
btw: the only thing close to death metal there is slayer and even they are considered thrash

Roller

Smash Legend
yo, don't be a fool. stay in school... Look at me, I'm in school and I'm....doing the same thing you are by posting in this forum right now...hrm...

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Okay first thing is that there needs to be names and a score board!!
Second is that mewtoo should still be in the game,
Slipping doesnt really bother me much.
There was so many things that they could of done to the game but they
were being dumb and stuff.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Complaints... Well the tripping is obviously one of the dumbest mechanics of the entire series to date. I don't know how in the world the game developers missed how broken the fan was this time around. You can get easy locks for tremendous damage out of nowhere. When we host local casual tournaments, we let players decide each individual battle if they want items on or off, and let a coin flip settle disputes, but we had to make an overall ban of the fan since the 1st night the game came out in all of our games. It's more broken then a smash ball and that's sad.

Overall amazing game though, and not too many broken elements,

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
I think they listen more to their Japanese fans, but they do try to balance the game a bit for everybody. The thing is though, Smash Bros. Brawl actually sold far more copies in the first day and beyond in the United States than in Japan, so they might want to consider their US consumer base a bit more if they ever do indeed make a sequel.

My biggest complaint is that Phoenix Wright isn't in the game. :( I mean yeah, he's not exactly known for fighting, but heck, they made a character out of the game and watch games, and he's my favorite. R.O.B. and the Ice Climbers aren't exactly warriors either.

But seriously, Phoenix Wright would be amazing. You could go around Objecting to people, yelling "Hold It!" and "Take That!" I'm sure they could make a hilarious moveset with him.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I really wish they would've kept Mewtwo. I don't even like Mewtwo that much. I used to love Lucario, but now I'm starting to hate him because he's in Smash Bros. I just don't think he deserves to be in the game.

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
I'm anticipating getting flamed at for this but...

The reason why I think they chose to replace Mewtwo is that they have a lot of first-gen Pokemon already in the game. In fact, they have even more now that they've added the Pokemon Trainer. With Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Pikachu and Jigglypuff, the other Pokemon generations are kind of unrepresented. So people who liek mudkipz or, for that matter, any of the later era-Pokemon might not be appealed to as much. Lucario is also a fighting Pokemon, in a fighting game, although that shouldn't really matter that much.

I personally don't like Lucario that much, but he can be godly in that area of the Temple stage that's underneath the main stage. I say this because there you get knocked around a lot without getting launched too easily, and this gives Lucario his perk of gaining power as he takes more damage.

I agree with you one hundred percent i think they should have kept mewtwo and i also think that they should have kept Roy and dropped marth and placed some faster like a girl from fire emblem or something like that
I wanted lyn personally. :lick:

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
My complaint is my friend wasted 60 dollars on Brawl, but why complain because I guess in the long run it made me realize the game wasn't worth it so I didn't waste 60 dollars. So its not really a complaint on my part but I feel bad for my friend because he also hates the game. He should probably just pawn it off so some lucky fellow that hasn't played the game yet and realizes how much it sux will get a lucky break and only wastes 20 dollars on a worthless game, instead of wasting 60 dollars. Also anyone new to smash don't waste money on Brawl, buy Melee.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Is it just me or are the Ice Climbers glitchier than before in a bad way? Two times in one match where I was recovering I'd do my UpB when Nana was right next to me and Popo wouldn't throw Nana to the edge.
hmmm...that shouldnt have happened....when u did this though.....Was Nana falling in the air with her body spinning???

Adam251

Smash Rookie
New characters are broken, and Ganandorf is nearly unusable. The With Anyone server doesn't ****ing work, Hanenbow and Norfair are utterly ********. Other then that I'm fine.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
New characters are broken, and Ganandorf is nearly unusable. The With Anyone server doesn't ****ing work, Hanenbow and Norfair are utterly ********. Other then that I'm fine.
i agree about the server part
really?? =O for me it works....it just laggy as hell most of the time XP oh wait i have to add that in my list of complaints...so i believe that's 11 now for me...but yeah the With anyone server does have it's on and off moments...mostly off :laugh:

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
My complaint is my friend wasted 60 dollars on Brawl, but why complain because I guess in the long run it made me realize the game wasn't worth it so I didn't waste 60 dollars. So its not really a complaint on my part but I feel bad for my friend because he also hates the game. He should probably just pawn it off so some lucky fellow that hasn't played the game yet and realizes how much it sux will get a lucky break and only wastes 20 dollars on a worthless game, instead of wasting 60 dollars. Also anyone new to smash don't waste money on Brawl, buy Melee.
wow, all that optimistic talk is killing me. I personally love brawl, and where did you get it that it cost $60? It only cost $50 where i got it.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you one hundred percent i think they should have kept mewtwo and i also think that they should have kept Roy and dropped marth and placed some faster like a girl from fire emblem or something like that
...Only thing is Roy is just a random Lord who appeared in just one Fire Emblem game, while Marth is a central lore character of the franchise. Leaving Marth out in place of Roy is non-justifiable, as is leaving Mario out of Brawl for Luigi.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Another complaint:

There's a Pichu trophy. That should've been replaced with a Roy trophy. There's enough Pokemon trophies as it is.

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
to NukeA6

I think they should have both

and more trophies acctually lol.
but thats not a complaint, just the more the better :3

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
the characters have an hour to fall some even have these falling animations like woaaa too much space/wind or whatever like mairo shakes his little arms while falling. thats how slow he falls.

look at mario kart wii online and look at brawl. u lag like shi** with 2 pple yet on MK u can go up to 12 with lil lag., online tournament, you get your own dam channel and can look if your friends are online, ect

simply put brawl is an epic fail for the real smashers all the new scrubs should like it tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom