• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus Stage Selection Guide!!!!! Check it out!!!

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'm a fan of Kongo Jungle.

Yes, you can't grapple onto the stage, this sucks if you're in a situation where you have to or you'll die, but, with bombs and screw attack / rising grapple, you're going to have a better chance to get to that barrel. I see the barrel as an advantage here.

You say the platforms don't help with missiles and allow her opponents to hide from them... On the other hand, the revolving platforms allow for some unique strategies, like weird missile cancels or dropped sex-kicks. And if the opponent is on one of the upper side-platforms, you can bomb-jump and wait up there in the air for them or try for an attack out of the bomb jump. The only options your opponent has on those platforms is to either shield, counter with an aerial, or drop through and run away. If you successfully attack, you're already near the edge, allowing you to hit them off and counter them on the bottom side. If they shield you can try dropping through or getting underneath them, since the platform has a weird slant it's harder for them to shield grab you if you move yourself correctly. And if they run away you'll usually still be able to control the center of the stage by use of the platforms or quickly dropping down to the center.

As for the stage itself, you can come up underneath it.. So when you're hanging from the ledge and you drop down, you can move forward much more (if needed) by going through the stage horizontally. You can even move forward enough to Bair you opponent if they're close enough to the edge. I like to Uair up through the stage as well.

The stage also has that dip in the middle of the stage - the sudden elevation changes allow for a couple of things. if your opponent is hanging from the edge, if you shoot a missile from the middle the of the stage, it'll hit your opponent perfectly. You can use this to either force your opponent to recover, or as an anticipation shot on a recovering opponent. Another thing it allows for is shoulder bash attacks. If you run and bash, the slope either stops them short or causes them to fall further - a lot of the time you can easily bash once or twice more. Because of the slant it can sometimes throw off opponents' recoveries from down-throws, allowing for easier or more successful combos. The slope also allows for short-hopped or bomb-jumped Fairs, going from the middle of the stage to up the slope on either side, which can be great attacks or defenses, since you can retreat back down to the middle.

The dip lets you sit there safely and charge your charge shot (shoop da whoop) and not get hit by Fox or Falco's lasers, forcing them to actually come up to you to hit you, without the pressure of the lasers.

Last thing, the edge makes for interesting bomb combos, combining coming up through the stage into bombs and cancelled grapples to aerials, if that suits your style.

I think that's about it.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
If your good at making new, weird combos on the spot with those platform, sure, use your mad mindgame skills. Otherwise.... i don't really like it too much.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
If your good at making new, weird combos on the spot with those platform, sure, use your mad mindgame skills. Otherwise.... i don't really like it too much.
I have to agree. I don't think Kongo Jungle is really a bad Samus level but not a great one ether. Its big and thats good, and its true that Samus can hit the barrel easier then most, but besides that its bad.
Also the dip on Kongo, which you said is great Saymus, i think hurts samus more then helps. Its makes a perfect place to hide against the missiles.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
If you grapple the side of the platform on Jungle Japes, does the water affect your hanging-ness?

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
I am going to add Corneria to my list but i need some help.
I know Samus can camp well, and the left side is great for Up-B then fast fall to an aerial(l-cancel) But is there anything else i should add??? Please help!!!
Is Corneria a good stage for Samus???

ESAM

Smash Ace
SEFL representing samus in the sunshine state
Corneria:
pluses: combo ability against the fin if they tech or not, if you are good at predicting like i am at least. Up-b can sweetspot the fin so you can combo like that. Easy to run away since the main part is so big. Wavedash is really fast as we all know.

Minuses- Low ceiling and sides after the actual stage ends. You can get comboed on fin.
Good against marth (you tech on the fin and survive) Falco (shine comboes mess up since the stage moves)
Bad against Sheik(d throw on the fin and you get comboed to HELL) Fox (U-Smash kills on larger part)Falcon (combo to knee kills WAY early.) Thats it for now

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Here is something i posted on your topic in the Ness section REDRAGON:

Me said:
Ness vs. Samus is pretty **** even when it comes to stage selection. I'd say Ness has a SLIGHT advantage on Corneria and Samus has a SLIGHT advantage on Dreamland and BOTH of those stages can easily end in a TIME UP for Ness vs. Samus.

I ban DL vs. Samus myself because I am at a loss trying to think of any better stage to ban. Samus' I've fought have banned mostly FD vs. me, but pay for that when taken to corneria(which is normally a strong stage for Samus, but Ness' game there edges out samus' by a small but noticeable margin.)
For more on "Ness' gaem in Corneria" see here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ws4gkXGMde4

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
WTF? You link to THAT vid? That vid (no offense) is a piece of crap. But it still shows how good Corneria is.... Link suicide once, you got a dumb distracted KO, and half the vid is Link trying to find out how to attack you.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
its the best vid there is sadly^_^ my match there 3stocking GERM wasnt recorded

but yeah...to my knowledge there arent any vids of Ness using corneria as good as in that one(not saying there are none, just none that showcase it as well)

Hax

Smash Champion
FoD is actually one of Samus's better stages, probably her best. Wes is amazing on FoD.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
So... Kongo Jungle... is it good or bad? With the HUGE ceiling?

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
Isais Samus took Kens marth to Mute City...ended up losing but he did better than his first match

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
I'ma fan of Mute City, simply because Samus can often bomb-stall until the main platform lands again. Other then that it's simply a good Samus stage because its lack of edge doesn't mess her up as much as it does other characters. Not a good choice against space animals or Ganon, but one of the best places to take a Sheik (although thats probably true across the board).

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
Good guide Redragon, its helping me out a lot.

I'm not sure this was covered but, can you include some info on Jungle Japes?
My crew and I recently added it to the random stage selection, and my crew regularly counter-picks one another, because no one is very familiar with it.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Good guide Redragon, its helping me out a lot.

I'm not sure this was covered but, can you include some info on Jungle Japes?
My crew and I recently added it to the random stage selection, and my crew regularly counter-picks one another, because no one is very familiar with it.
I am about to add Mute City to my guide(today or tomorrow) then i will look into Jungle Japes, though from what i know Jungle Japes is good for spammers like Samus, and the ceiling is high, though the sides are very close...

Redragon

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
I am about to add Mute City to my guide(today or tomorrow) then i will look into Jungle Japes, though from what i know Jungle Japes is good for spammers like Samus, and the ceiling is high, though the sides are very close...

Redragon
The only thing I know of Jungle Japes so far that is a (sorta) disadvantage to Samus is grappling into the ledges and being swept away, its pretty ghey and it almost cost me a match.

Looking forward to Mute City section.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Added Mute City(check it out people and tell me if its right!)

Now I am looking for info on Jungle Japes and Rainbow Cruise cause those are my next ones to add!

Redragon

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
hoy redragon....as far as Ness vs. Samus goes most of the stages are pretty even. Stages where either of them have an advantage over the other its only a SLIGHT advantage because of what the other character can do on that stage. Samus has a SLIGHT advantage on dreamland. Ness has a SLIGHT advantage on corneria. Most stages are even.

I've played HugS a few times and each time he has banned FD vs. me...I had never played him on FD before so he didn't have a bad experience there vs. me or anything...I really need to ask him why he bans FD vs. me.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
I am so confused...........
Simna ibn Sind can you tell me what stages i got right and wrong for Ness???
And Gimpy maybe you could add your Bowser input for the stages???
Or does he lose on all of them? lol

Redragon

Marcus_90

Smash Cadet
Yoshi Story good against Falco? Hell no, Falco can do shine combos really easy with these platforms. First he get your up on the highest platform then 2x shine and you are out.

Bad against Falco I would say.

Well, nice guide anyway ^^ Gonna use it for preparation to RoS4. So I know what is good a counter pick and stuff ^^ thx. Help's me alot.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
REDRAGON: I'm gonna say that all but 4 stages are even between Samus and Ness. Samus gets a small advantage on Dreamland and on Mute City and Ness gets a small advantage on Corneria and Yoshi's Story....and all of these advantages are VERY small...for instance:

YS for Samus vs. Ness:
+Shy Guys eat PK Thunder
+Small sides for quicker KOs
-Small sides remove Samus' weight advantage
-Shy Guys eat missiles/shots/bombs
-Shy Guys activate PK Fire which blocks missiles/shots/bombs
-Triple platform stage setup allows Ness to deal ridiculous amuonts of damage using PK Thunder

Corneria for Samus vs. Ness:
+Small sides for quick KOs
+Peerless fin/ledge game
-Small sides remove weight advantage
-Ness heals for 30% per arwing/wolfen laser
-Ness heals for 60-600% on Great Fox lasers and can stay on the lasers indefintiely

Dreamland for Samus vs. Ness:
+Large sides for much longer life
+Large sides only help Ness from dying off the top, Ness' easily edgeguarded recovery makes the large sides give very little help
-Triple platform stage setup allows Ness to deal ridiculous amuonts of damage using PK Thunder

comp is locking up....i'll post more on this later

Top Bottom