• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus Stage Selection Guide!!!!! Check it out!!!

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
So here are my thoughts on the neutral level selection for Samus in tournament play! If you have suggestions let me know! PLEASE Pm me or post in the thread if you think a made a mistake!

Final Destination

+Great recovery for Samus, walls go far down so its easy to walljump and sweet spot.
+Pretty long Vertical and horizontal which helps Samus stay alive longer.
+Although some disagree i think missiles are great on this stage because its hard to avoid them and there are no platforms to avoid them.
+Great if not perfect for the Super wave dash!

-No platforms=No missile platform cancel. This hurts Samus's missile game.

Good against: Marth, Sheik, Link, Pikachu, Ness, Peach
Bad against: Falco, Fox, C. Falcon, Doctor Mario, Mario

Overview: I like this stage alot. Samus can live long and missiles are good(not great) on this stage. Her recovery works PERFECT on FD also.

Yoshi's Story

+Platforms are great for missile cancel, which can lead to tons of missiles.
+Good recovery because of the ledge and walls which Samus can walljump and sweetspot easy.
+Hard to avoid Samus's missiles.
+Can cancel the up-b with highest platform

-Shy guys can hurt your bomb-recovery and block missiles.
-Level is very small on the horizontal and vertical side which makes Samus live very short.
-Cloud can mess up your recovery randomly.

Good against: C. Falcon, Mario
Bad against: Marth, Sheik, Fox, Doctor Mario, Link, Pikachu, Ness, Falco, Peach

Overview: although the platforms are nice and the recovery is easy i hate how Samus dies so easy on this level! One of Samus's greatness strength is that she lives so frkin long and this level kills that.Never fight a Marth on this stage, its a uphill fight the whole round. Also Shy guys=gay...

Corneria

+The fin of the ship is great for combos, because up-b can sweetspot the fin, which can led to fair/bair l-cancel then up-b, and keeps going.
+Recovery works well because Samus can grapple and wall jump on the ships sides and fin, and can even go under the ship.
+The stage favorers spammers and Samus is a great spammer.
+Good stage for SWD

-The sides and ceiling are very small.
-Ships fly in and can blast you or the enemy which leads to early deaths for Samus.

Good against: Marth, Link,Mario, Doctor Mario
Bad against: Fox, C. Falcon, Pikachu, Sheik, Falco, Ness, Peach

Overview: This stage is great for combos on the fin, and is nice for spammers like Samus. This is a great stage for wall techs and wall jumps, and a nice Samus stage!

Mute City

+Sides are wide and overall a semi big stage
+Good stage for SWD
+Samus bomb staling works good on this stage because she go travel under the platform and wait for the road to reappear instead of dieing
+Some platforms for missile canceling

-Pretty small ceiling
-Cars appear and can hurt and mess up you or the enemy

Good against: Mario, Doctor Mario, Sheik, Ness
Bad against: Fox, Falco, C. Falcon, Pikachu, Marth, Link, Peach

Overview: Not a stage I play alot. Watch out for the cars and keep in mind the small ceiling, if you do all that along with bomb staling when needed, you should do fine!

Fountain of Dreams

+Stage is GREAT for recovering from the bottom of the stage with grapple-walljump-up-B.
+Platforms can help Samus and her missile cancel.
+Hard to avoid missiles.
+Can cancel the up-b with highest platform

-Level is very small both horizontal and somewhat small vertically.
-Platforms move which can hurt Samus's game.

Good against: Falco, C. Falcon, Doctor Mario, Link, Peach
Bad against: Sheik, Marth, Fox, Mario, Pikachu, Ness

Overview: Again this level is just too small for me. The recovery from the bottom is nice and safe, but Samus's dies off the top and sides to early.

Kongo Jungle 64

+Pretty high level and not bad for vertically, so Samus lives pretty long here.
+Samus can use her bombs and Up-B to help her hit the barrel and survive even longer.

-The level has platforms but none help Samus, only give the enemy places to hide from missiles!
-Cannot use your grapple to sweetspot the edge!

Good against: Fox, Marth, Link, Mario, Pikachu, Ness
Bad against: Falco, Sheik, C. Falcon, Doctor Mario, Peach

Overview: Pretty big level, but with no grapple it hurts Samus's horizontal recovery and missiles just don't really work on this level; not a great Samus stage.

Battlefield

+Decent distant horizontal and vertical which helps Samus survive.
+Can go under and around the level with wall jump and grapple.(Can stall matches too)

-Samus has a hard time sweetspotting the edge.
-The platforms are too frkin high to missile cancel them, which hurts Samus's missile game.

Good against: Falco/Fox, C. Falcon, Doctor Mario, Mario, Pikachu, Ness
Bad against: Marth, Sheik, Link, Peach

Overview: Not a great Samus stage, but it works well against certain characters with bad recovery's, and the stage is on the larger side which is nice.

Pokemon Stadium

+Perfect level for platform missile cancel.
+Not a bad level for recovery because you can wall jump the ledge and you can grapple the wall pretty low.
+Good level for SWD

-When the level changes Samus does not do so well.
-Hard/weird to sweetspot edge.

Good against: Sheik, Fox, Doctor Mario, Link, Pikachu, Ness, Peach
Bad against: Marth, Falco, C. Falcon, Mario

Overview: I like this level for missiles spamming, but when the level changes Samus just does not play great. Still one of Samus better stages.

Dreamland 64

+HUGE LEVEL which helps Samus live like crazy. Can get to 200% Easy.
+Level is Great all around with Recovery: great wall for wall jump and grapple, easy to sweetspot.
+Good level for SWD

-Platforms are too frkin high to missile cancel them.
-Although happens too both players, wind can mess up people.

Good against: Marth, Sheik, Fox,Falco, Doctor Mario, Link, Mario, Pikachu, Ness, Peach
Bad against: Maybe C. Falcon

Overview: Ahh the best for last. I love this level because Samus lives forever and i love the edge and wall. It would be perfect if the platforms were lower but oh well. Still my favorite. Keep in mind that your enemy will most likely ban this stage because its perfect for Samus!

Hope this helps!:)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Decent overall..I don't agree on alot of stuff..And you CAN Missle cancel on Battlefield AND Dreamland 64. Double jump platform missle cancel.I'll add more later ifeveryone else doesn't cover it.

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
Decent overall..I don't agree on alot of stuff..And you CAN Missle cancel on Battlefield AND Dreamland 64. Double jump platform missle cancel.I'll add more later ifeveryone else doesn't cover it.
Thats what I was going to say, just double jump as fast as you can. I just hit XY real quick.

Also, you spelled Fountain wrong.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Thats what I was going to say, just double jump as fast as you can. I just hit XY real quick.

Also, you spelled Fountain wrong.
Does it really work as well on thoses levels like it does on say Yoshis story??? I dont see it done that often anyways...

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yes it does. Have you ever seen phanna play?

Kick

Smash Apprentice
each change in pokemon stadium has platforms, and at least one of them is platform missle cancelable.

water stage. its the lower of the 2 plats,
grass- its that bush thing on the right,
fire- on the left you can full jump platform missle cancel and that big platform on the right is spammable,
rock, im not too sure of.

i think tahts all the stages.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
For Yoshi's Story, put the cloud in as a negative. Not only can it sometimes ruin bomb jumps, but it can also put the opponent out further when you're recovering, which can lead to a hard-to-escape-from edgeguard and make Samus live even less! Also, those apparently "gay" Shy Guys(we should call them Gay Guys) can block missiles you shoot at opponents recovering.

Nice job, though.:)

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tips guys i will add them soon!!!

And Hylian i watched 3 of Phanna's video(he is sooo good) but i saw only about 3 missle cancels on Dreamland(2 matches on dreamland) Then i watched a match with him on Pokemon Sta. and he missle cancel about 20 times or more. So i think its fair to say that missle cancel is better on Pokemon then Dreamland, right??

Plus its faster on the lower platforms

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
So i think its fair to say that missle cancel is better on Pokemon then Dreamland, right??

Plus its faster on the lower platforms
right, but i think, since we are talking about picking stage when we counterpick, you can add all the stages available ^.^, not only the random ones

and xenoex, what if he speled fountin wrong, this are forums, wher wi can mospelled as wi plis

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
I will probably add Corneria and Mute City next. Though i need to play those more to check them out.
I know corneria is a pretty good level for Samus but Mute city is not. correct???

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
And RedDragon their is a difference between Technical and Good. Not saying phanna isn't good but he IS overrated.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Somebody: I don't think that's Hylian's point. Phanna is highly technical, but do you see him winning like HugS and Wes? Hell, I don't think I've ever seen either Hugs or Wes do a proper up and down missile cancel. Phanna is technical, and it takes him a long way, but honestly, that's not the key to a good Samus game, and it won't necessarily decide a game if you can do it.

Honestly, I love battlefield. It's hard to sweetspot, yes, but the platforms make camping your opponent from below easy peasy. It also gives you a chance to hide from your opponent's tech after a Screw Attack from shield. There are a lot of things that can go into a level's effect on your game, and IMO SWD and PMC are least among them.

SilentFox12345

Smash Cadet
Good, but some things could be fixed.

Pretty good overall. Remember just a few things:

1. Those are only the neutral stages. Remember that other stages can also be used as well.

2. Write up on the different shapes of poke stadiums.

3.Remember to take into consideration what other characters can do as well, and if she has a certain advantage or disadvantage on them.

With a bit of editing, I think this thread is eligible for a sticky.

EDIT: Oh yeah, give me some reasons for your OUTRAGEOUS tier list nub.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Pretty good overall. Remember just a few things:

1. Those are only the neutral stages. Remember that other stages can also be used as well.

2. Write up on the different shapes of poke stadiums.

3.Remember to take into consideration what other characters can do as well, and if she has a certain advantage or disadvantage on them.

With a bit of editing, I think this thread is eligible for a sticky.

EDIT: Oh yeah, give me some reasons for your OUTRAGEOUS tier list nub.
1) I will get to all the "legal" tounaments stages soon...
2)Waste of time, we all know that Samus is not too good on any of them...
3)This is a SAMUS stage selection, no other charactors....
Sweet beans for the sticky!
Outrageous tier list lol I sense Sarcasm....

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
right, but i think, since we are talking about picking stage when we counterpick, you can add all the stages available ^.^, not only the random ones

and xenoex, what if he speled fountin wrong, this are forums, wher wi can mospelled as wi plis
You don't try to spell majoras. You still take 2 letters out of my real name. :grin:
He was using grammar, so I just pointed out a mistake.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
1) I will get to all the "legal" tounaments stages soon...
2)Waste of time, we all know that Samus is not too good on any of them...
3)This is a SAMUS stage selection, no other charactors....
Sweet beans for the sticky!
Outrageous tier list lol I sense Sarcasm....
1) Cool, Samus has some cool counter pick stages to work with.
2) Why is it a waste? Isn't it good to know what her weaknesses are on those forms so we know what to avoid?
3) It might be a Samus stage selection, but stage alone doesn't determine its usefulness. You have to consider your opponent's advantages/disadvantages on a stage as well, not just your own.

Then again I guess it's all a matter of how complete you want this to be. If you only want to list general advantages/disadvantages of a stage then yo don't have to be as detailed. I just think it would be more useful with the extra data.

mog87

Smash Ace
i know nothing about samus, but im pretty sure vertically fountain of dreams has one of the higher celings despite initial appearance...you might wanna look into revising that.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Rohins: This thread is just for people to see what stages Samus is good at agaist a average player. Of course it changes with who you are playing but with this knowledge you should be able to counter pick quite easy!

Mog: I changed the verticly distance a little for FoD...

Btw i need to add Mute city and Corneria but i dont play them much....Anyone have imput on how well Samus does there???

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Against an average player, I would just counterpick Dream Land through and through. For the REAL games, though, it really does help to know Samus' weaknesses and strengths over other characters on certain stages.

She might do well on Corneria, but Falco without a doubt will have a much better time on it. Plus the easy vertical KO will make it a possible counterpick choice for Fox. There's no completely objective way to look at it without looking at the other characters, too.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Well there was another post on what is Samus's best and worst level so that gave me this idea. Its just showing Samus's strong points and weak ones for each level!

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
PKMN STDM is by far, the best stage for Samus, has everything.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
PKMN STDM is by far, the best stage for Samus, has everything.
No, PKMN STDM is not a huge level, and Samus has a weird time sweetspoting the edge.
Its perfect for missles and SWD, but not much else....

Kick

Smash Apprentice
its not that bad. i dont understand why you have such a problem with it. Its a decent stage for samus.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Tell me what you guys like about it then i might change it. I see it being a good level for Samus, i love the missles, but you can't fully utilize her GREAT recovery on this one.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
No, PKMN STDM is not a huge level, and Samus has a weird time sweetspoting the edge.
The platforms where made just for Samus, it's great because the waveland gives Samus a lot of options for any kind of assaul you wish, enables Samus to unleash several combo.
The sweetpoint is ok, I never had problems with PKMN STDM, the only problem is the recovery.

Another decent stage (and marvelous for recovery) is Dreamland 64.

Platforms are your best friends.

Watty

Smash Lord
stadium is the biggest stage in the game wtf at its not a big lvl.

yoshi story and im not even kidding is hte best stage in the game

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
"stadium is the biggest stage in the game wtf at its not a big lvl."

Watty what do you mean by this???
Are you saying its small or big???

Watty

Smash Lord
thats what i mean about it.

sweet spotting is not that hard. I dont SWD and i love the stage, and SHFFPMC is at its best here. ya gotta know how to work the stage, there are bad parts to it and good parts. i HATE the ****ing rock part of the stage so I try and stay away from it.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
-On the smaller side, especially vertically.
-When the level changes Samus does not do so well.
-Hard/weird to sweetspot edge.

Watty you do agree with my -points for pokemon though?
I like that level too but it has its faults...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Pokémon Stadium is pretty **** huge. If you want low ceilings, you look at Yoshi's Story.

And seriously, sweetspotting the edge with Samus on Stadium can't be harder than doing it with Marth. You just need to be patient.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Fountain of Dreams and yoshi’s story are good stages to pick vs spamming falcos because they can’t run the whole time. Always pick fountain of dreams though because it can mess up their short hop, you have a chance to survive falco’s spike, and it’s flat. Also on yoshi’s story they can drop down from the platforms to spike you, because they hang over the edge.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Pokémon Stadium is pretty **** huge. If you want low ceilings, you look at Yoshi's Story.

And seriously, sweetspotting the edge with Samus on Stadium can't be harder than doing it with Marth. You just need to be patient.
Are you sure its that big??? Fox always kills me off the top as REALLY low damage! I think its a little below average on the size.
Does someone have a chart to see the horazontal and verticly distances for each level?

Mars-

Smash Champion
As for the pokemon stadium park, since I was personally invited to put my impute in this thread, Pokemon stadium has a hard to hit grapple sweetspot, however, with practice your sweetspotting will get more precise and faster, so it doesn’t really matter at later levels of play. The level itself is big, but not the biggest. Watty I don’t know if you were joking about that or not. The level changes promotes hiding, but that really doesn’t work that well, so don’t hide unless they hit you in a hiding spot. If you can’t hit them from where you are hiding, stop hiding. I agree with watty on the rock part, when any character, even slow ones jump in the little hole, I just charge up and wait, don’t bother trying to attack because samus is too slow to chase them out.

And BTW, RED DRAGON means sweetspotting the edge with the grapple, not the up b. Anyone who didn’t realize that should leave this thread.

SilentFox12345

Smash Cadet
*spies on enemy's strategies* mm hm, mm hm

Uh, yeah. I have to back REDRAGON up on Poke Stadium having a low ceiling. It IS pretty good horizontally tho. Also RED, a lot of your pros and cons seem to be based only on how close the KO zone is. Remember that not all characters kill easy off the top, its just you're so used to fighting Fox that your priorities are different. Really it would seem to me that a larger horizontal level would be more beneficial than a more vertical one. Ok so give me a sec....

Final Destination---you got it pretty well, I must say. I'm not sure if its a GREAT level b/c of the missile thing tho.

Yoshi Story--two things that might be bad for Samus is that it is sort of small, and favors an air game more than ground, the latter being Samus's forte.

Fountain--I think you got this one right on. I see Samus's game being really hurt by random factors in this one, and te actual size of the ground you're fighting on (I don't know if you meant that or how close the KO zones were).

Kongo Jungle---pretty good, we don't play this too much tho. Wonder why : P

Battlefield---another con might be that its pretty small, nowhere for Samus to run : )

Poke Stadium--You should make one for each individual stage. For the normal one she's pretty good, the mountain one her projectile are useless, the water one is good I think, um kinda forgot the other ones, but you get the point.

Dreamland 64---can't think of any cons for her that you haven't mentioned. Uh...mebbe her CC is good on this level at even higher % when the wind is blowing (might blow her toward the enemy when she normally be knocked out of range). Also look into if the wind hurts her recovery.

Yeah so good job so far.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
*spies on enemy's strategies* mm hm, mm hm

Uh, yeah. I have to back REDRAGON up on Poke Stadium having a low ceiling. It IS pretty good horizontally tho. Also RED, a lot of your pros and cons seem to be based only on how close the KO zone is. Remember that not all characters kill easy off the top, its just you're so used to fighting Fox that your priorities are different. Really it would seem to me that a larger horizontal level would be more beneficial than a more vertical one. Ok so give me a sec....

Final Destination---you got it pretty well, I must say. I'm not sure if its a GREAT level b/c of the missile thing tho.

Yoshi Story--two things that might be bad for Samus is that it is sort of small, and favors an air game more than ground, the latter being Samus's forte.

Fountain--I think you got this one right on. I see Samus's game being really hurt by random factors in this one, and te actual size of the ground you're fighting on (I don't know if you meant that or how close the KO zones were).

Kongo Jungle---pretty good, we don't play this too much tho. Wonder why : P

Battlefield---another con might be that its pretty small, nowhere for Samus to run : )

Poke Stadium--You should make one for each individual stage. For the normal one she's pretty good, the mountain one her projectile are useless, the water one is good I think, um kinda forgot the other ones, but you get the point.

Dreamland 64---can't think of any cons for her that you haven't mentioned. Uh...mebbe her CC is good on this level at even higher % when the wind is blowing (might blow her toward the enemy when she normally be knocked out of range). Also look into if the wind hurts her recovery.

Yeah so good job so far.
No silentFox. The big reason why i put the KO distance in there is because it Helps/kills Samus gameplay.
Also agaist ANY player Samus dies of the top easy. Marth's up-tilt if tippered kills Samus sooo easy. Same with Falco down-tilt, Mewtwo's up-throw etc etc...
Also having a small level does not give Samus no hope. Small levels are better for missles and bombs.
A perfect level for Samus would be a stage like battefield with lower platforms, better sweetspoting, WAY longer horizontally and higher ceiling, and the bottom stage being small.
This would let Samus missle spam on a small stage(which is great) but still being able to survive long!

Top Bottom