• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Q&A Thread

Reapereater

Smash Cadet
My luigi beats up my lucario main by a long shot. I always use luigi's missile move (forwardB) as my killing blow at 100%+ damage. Is that a good killing move? If not whats a good killing move? If it is a good killing move, why?

Pony

Smash Apprentice
My luigi beats up my lucario main by a long shot. I always use luigi's missile move (forwardB) as my killing blow at 100%+ damage. Is that a good killing move? If not whats a good killing move? If it is a good killing move, why?
Up+B (lol50%kill)
Uptilted F-smash.
Up-smash
are my favorites.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Up smash kills at 120 % and has range.
f smash up kills at 90 % and has no lag, plus it says "YAH".
up B kills at 60% and allows you to yell "SHORYUKEN" in front of a 100 men crowd.
misfire kills at 30% and allows you to scream "SAKURAI DOESN'T LIKE TOP TIER WHORES" in front of a 300 men crowd.
Dtaunt kills at 0% and allows you to put the replay on youtube and have your opponent laughed at by thousands of viewers.

Basically, that's all you should know.

Reapereater

Smash Cadet
I didn't know upB kills at 50%... Thats REALLY god like! Also I'm already yelling shoryuken when I do that move.. Lol. Also...If your joking don't correct me..Dtaunt kills o.o? I try to use fsmash a lot but when i try to do it without the c stick i mess up. When I do it with the c stick it's not strong enough.

Heres some questions I have too since I'm rather new to luigi's style. I play with final smash with my friends, but whenever I use my final smash and their in the dead center of it they get a chance to walk out of it. Thats not really fair. Is there a way to avoid that? I think I can't cuz I'd still be in the middle of that little dance when their getting out.

Ajna

Smash Apprentice
Ive been recently having a real problem with Zelda.
Zelda mains and even nasty cpu zeldas seem to wreck my luigi on a chronic basis.
A zelda on wifi recently KO'd me without an item at like.. 33%...
Ive been realizing quickly that approaching from the air is a terrible idea...

Any tips for punishing zelda? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Any tips for punishing zelda? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
So if you're new to Luigi, Zelda seems like one of those unexplainable difficult matchups at first, and then it gets ridiculously easy as you figure it out. So heres some general tips...

DON'T APPROACH HER. Seriously. Din's fire is pretty bad, and you can spotdodge -> fireball and keep your distance. You want to play very carefully and stay at about mid range. Zelda cannot do anything at mid range. While you're sitting here at mid range, throw fireballs out like mentioned above and wait for her to use one of her laggy attacks (most of them). Tornado in and you're set. Once you get Zelda in the air its all downhill from there. Combo with Uair and Nair and there isn't much she can do to get out of it.

Also whenever you get close and don't know what to do, just jab. Your jab is faster than everything she has so if you panic up close just spam it. Also, jab to UpB is pretty easy on Zelda for one reason or another.

Hope I helped at least a little :D

P.S. - I have old vids of me vs. zelda on youtube, but that was before I figured the matchup out and you shouldn't use those for reference, though it might show you what NOT to do =p

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
anyone can help? pro advice would be helpful

l have a problem in looking for opportunities/openings and being able to punish and even if l able to punish it, l can't punish it fully (ex: instead of jab upbing on olimar, did jab dsmash when killing olimar saves me more time and stuff like that)

help plz

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Is there any character specifically you want to learn things for? or do you just want random good info, on multiple characters? or strategies that work well against most characters?

TreK

Is "that guy"
when the opponent announces the character, remind yourself everything you know about this character, so you don't have to think about it midmatch. Stall in the character selection screen if needed lol

I've actually printed the list of what's the best followup after a jab for each character and I use it in tourneys lol

WeedLuigi

Smash Apprentice
Hey Guys I'm new to the brawl scene, typically played luigi in melee...so i am very used to wave dashing, wave landing etc.. to approach and move with the green plumber...
How do you approach with lui in brawl...I feel that he hops too high in this one, almost like in ssb, whats the best way to approach with this guy?

Reapereater

Smash Cadet
@weedLuigi, I usually approach with ftilt then nair. Then you just improvise til like 60% and do upb for a kill. Luigi is very good at aerial so try and get used to his jumps. One jump can do a lot of combos.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
It really matters who your facing, but mix up your main 4 aerial combos.

Aerial (usually F-air or D_air) to Cyclone
Aerial (same) to Fireball
Double aerials (F-air F-air, F-air N-air and the such)
Aerial into downwards air dodge, think of using Luigi's air dodge to move quicker out of an aerial, similar to a Shuffle, but with less effect.

MarioMesser

Smash Rookie
Hi. I'm new and I usually play against CPU's to learn the character's attacks and range and speed. And the character witch im having most problems with right now is not Marth, not D3 and not Metaspam but R.O.B!

What are my best options against him?

yoshq

Smash Master
Hi. I'm new and I usually play against CPU's to learn the character's attacks and range and speed. And the character witch im having most problems with right now is not Marth, not D3 and not Metaspam but R.O.B!

What are my best options against him?
do a jab upb when yo uget close to him because if you land the jab then the upb is guranteed (as long as you do it right)

Ajna

Smash Apprentice
Down B as a recovery move

So ive seen lots of videos of people using the cyclone as an effective recovery and edge guarding move.
It seemed viable when i was practicing at first... If i jump into the air and cyclone up while im falling i will definitely rise a good distance. So to test it out, i start jumping off the edge and trying to cyclone back up. Here is where i noticed a strange problem.

It seems once I pass the edge of the stage his cyclone is effected more heavily by gravity? I can tap B as fast as anyone but it doesnt have the same effect when im under the stage for some reason. Instead of rising he simply stays in the same place. This has generally proved to be a deadly risk in a real match. Am I doing something totally wrong here? or is there something im missing?

Thank you for your help in advance. My apologies of the question is an elementary issue.

Icyo

Smash Ace
So ive seen lots of videos of people using the cyclone as an effective recovery and edge guarding move.
It seemed viable when i was practicing at first... If i jump into the air and cyclone up while im falling i will definitely rise a good distance. So to test it out, i start jumping off the edge and trying to cyclone back up. Here is where i noticed a strange problem.

It seems once I pass the edge of the stage his cyclone is effected more heavily by gravity? I can tap B as fast as anyone but it doesnt have the same effect when im under the stage for some reason. Instead of rising he simply stays in the same place. This has generally proved to be a deadly risk in a real match. Am I doing something totally wrong here? or is there something im missing?

Thank you for your help in advance. My apologies of the question is an elementary issue.
It all depends on how fast you can mash B. The faster you go, the more you'll rise. Initiating cyclone immediately after a jump makes this much easier, as there is no momentum to reverse.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Also make sure, that you are only doing one rising cyclone in the air before touching the ground. If you try to do a second rising cyclone you will just fall.

This is true, unless your opponent hits you before the rising cyclone animation finishes. In the case that you do get hit out of it, you can do a 2nd rising cyclone.

Doomsday739

Smash Rookie

You might be fast falling before you do the cyclone, because you have to press down. A way I get around this is by pushing right or left and then down B. (whichever direction is toward the stage)

yoshq

Smash Master
You might be fast falling before you do the cyclone, because you have to press down. A way I get around this is by pushing right or left and then down B. (whichever direction is toward the stage)
that doesn't make sense. also, wouldn't you already be fast falling if you were knocked off the edge then did fair fast fall missile?

Doomsday739

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure green missile stops your fast fall. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

And I have done rising cyclones without fast fall, makes you hover higher and easier.

BSP

Smash Legend
that doesn't make sense. also, wouldn't you already be fast falling if you were knocked off the edge then did fair fast fall missile?
I'm positive that a missle will cancel luigi's fastfall.

About rising cyclone, just make sure you don't slam the gray stick down before you start, itll probably hurt more than help.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Luigi is my favorite nintendo character yet I'm bad at his playstyle but I think I was to start playing him but I was wondering how the metaknight matchup it seems like Luigi doesnt have a problem with snake but yeah

yoshq

Smash Master
What are some actual luigi specific counterpick stages (like brinstar for lucas where he can prolong his smashes on the little thing in the floor. or toon link can bounce on it with his dair)?

yoshq

Smash Master
I would say Frigate, mainly due to his great recovery. Since on one side of frigate there is no ledge, however this would only work against certain characters.
I disagree, on the first part of the stage he has to recover through the floor, and if he gets hit after he uses his cyclone he's gotta upb through it...

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
I disagree, on the first part of the stage he has to recover through the floor, and if he gets hit after he uses his cyclone he's gotta upb through it...
Hmm...and since the cyclone is fairly predictable we could be hit every time. So I see your point, what about a stage that has a low ceiling, since we get good early upwards kills.

Top Bottom