• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Q&A Thread

kigbariom

Smash Lord

Welcome Luigi Mains, to the

Official Q&A Thread

Intro

Instead of making stupid new threads that we already have enough of, ask questions in here. Vist's thread was a Q&A thread, but now this will be dedicated to it. Any questions at all and the answer will some within the next 1-23 weeks.

So, without further ado, I present questions and answers from Luigi mains.

The remaining area of the post will sort of be a history of all the major question's that have been asked and answered within the thread. The format will be as follows;

Frequently asked questions

Q: How do I perform a rising cyclone?

A: A rising cyclone is performed by jumping and immediately afterwards pressing b-down, mash the button as fast as possible and hold up. Because it is a momentum based move, the jump helps you move.

Q: How do I perform a jumpless rising cyclone?

A: Without the jump, this move becomes all about how fast you can push the b-button, that is the only determining factor.

Q: How is a Glide Toss performed?

A: A glide toss is done in multiple ways, they are about throwing with the momentum from a roll. Here are the scenarios where one is possible.
1) Forward Roll Forward Throw
2) Forward Roll Backwards Throw
3) Forward Roll Down Throw
4) Forward Roll Up Throw
5) Back Roll Forward Throw
6) Back Roll Back Throw
7) Back Roll Down Throw
8) Back Roll Up Throw
For more info on each one's performance, visit the great glide toss guide by MasterKoga

Q: Who are Luigi's hardest matchups>
A:
MK
D3
Marth

Q:What are some reliable stages?
A:
Frigate
Norfair
BF

Q: What are Luigi's killing moves?
A: Best to worst
Up B
Misfire
F-smash Upwards
U-smash
F-smash
N-air
U-air
B-air
D-air
D-smash
B-throw

Q: Is it worth mapping the d-pad as special to perform a more reliable rising cyclone?
A: If you find if very difficult to do a rising cyclone this may be an option but it is an overall disadvantage when B isn't special. Try practicing mashing the B button until you can get it down. The boost probably isn't significant enough to where switching the buttons would help. Plus, you would be giving up your down taunt.

Q: How is the D-tilt spike performed?
A: While facing the opposite direction and on the edge. The hitbox is on Luigi's body.

Q: How to recover without getting hit too hard.
A: Try using a tornado or a N-air. If you can get the timing right it is quite reliable.

Special thanks to Teneban for lots of contribution

Note: For specific details on matchups, ask withing the thread or consult a matchup thread. Also, if I made a mistake yell at me in a PM, I don't check this thread too often.

If you know of any FAQ's tell me, either post or message me.
Alright, back to the questions!

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
lol i was gonna make it but due to my epic laziness, i knew you'd be able to make it kig <3.

oh yeah, suggestion your sexiness = Alot of the other boards who own a Q/A also put some FAQs or combine it as well, I mean our faqs is cool and all, maybe somewhat outdated but it'd also be cool if we can add it to this thread so that people can find the answer quickly. Ya got me homie?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Hopefully this thread prevents any potential wizkick spiking.

Why is Xero's Luigi so awful?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Why is Xero's Luigi so awful?
Because Xero isn't sexy enough to play the tall plumber, he has to play the short and slightly portly plumber in order to have the most success in playing.

Or... I just play Luigi like I play Mario, yeah that's probably it. I'm way too sexy for the first one.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Thanks for the answer, man. This'll help me improve my Xero's Luigi's game.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Awesome good thing, hopefully this thread gets going.

Also, I know the answer but I'm lazy to post / will be good for the newcomers/ get it up on main post kig:

What is the third jump glitch?

What is buffering?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
K I need a serious answer for this.

Anyone have a solution to a person who is good at observation skills but medicore in tech skill and a person that seems to choke alot and esp if he's down by alot in terms of %/stocks or what not, then starts thinking of massive johns in the back of his head and loses his focus/mentality on the match. *that person would be me T.T*

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277

Anyone have a solution to a person who is good at observation skills but medicore in tech skill and a person that seems to choke alot and esp if he's down by alot in terms of %/stocks or what not, then starts thinking of massive johns in the back of his head and loses his focus/mentality on the match. *that person would be me T.T*
I had this before, in the past, I entered tournaments confident but I always got nervous in matches and I choke and I lost because of it or when I'm winning and for some reason I give up the lead, I lose focus, so the thing I did when entering a tournament, was to tell myself I'm going to lose because in my mind, if I made myself believe that I "lost" then there's no reason for me to choke when something is on the line because I "lost".

As for thinking about johns/losing focus/mentality, all I can say is you have to focus no matter what, what I used to do when I was thinking Johns, I'd think of a plan because if you have good observation skills, you'll be able to think of something.

I hope this helps.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lol yeah it helps, thanks alot man. The first paragraph was definitely all me EXACTLY written in stone too </3. Though it was kinda confusing at first, so your saying have a "losing mentality" or something? but it'll jinx it and make you win? lol? Sorry if lm not interpreting it correctly xD Or are you trying to say that you already are "losing" so it won't matter if u choke but in reality.... *actually nvm my head is hurting tbh LOL* I feel like i understand what your saying but its somehow making my head hurt LOL

as for the second part, yeah l gotta somehow maintain my focus at all costs, seems like it just gets shaken off really easily, just like how i easily sleep in class lmao.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Lol yeah it helps, thanks alot man. The first paragraph was definitely all me EXACTLY written in stone too </3. Though it was kinda confusing at first, so your saying have a "losing mentality" or something? but it'll jinx it and make you win? lol? Sorry if lm not interpreting it correctly xD Or are you trying to say that you already are "losing" so it won't matter if u choke but in reality.... *actually nvm my head is hurting tbh LOL* I feel like i understand what your saying but its somehow making my head hurt LOL

as for the second part, yeah l gotta somehow maintain my focus at all costs, seems like it just gets shaken off really easily, just like how i easily sleep in class lmao.
Sorry if it was confusing, Its alittle bit of both, you jinx yourself into winning and the other one is when think of this, when your at a tournament and money or a prize is on the line for example, if you start losing, all you'll think about is the money or prize, when you make yourself think that you already lost, you can play without thinking about the prize so your more likely to play as if it were friendlies, calm and relaxed.

For the second part, I'm sure you'll find something to make you focus.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
lol i was gonna make it but due to my epic laziness, i knew you'd be able to make it kig <3.

oh yeah, suggestion your sexiness = Alot of the other boards who own a Q/A also put some FAQs or combine it as well, I mean our faqs is cool and all, maybe somewhat outdated but it'd also be cool if we can add it to this thread so that people can find the answer quickly. Ya got me homie?
I will for sure, most of the general questions will be added like an FAQ.

I got you covered brah!
Oh ****, it finally happened. I'd been waiting, lol.
;)
Awesome good thing, hopefully this thread gets going.
;)

TreK

Is "that guy"

Practice makes perfect, blah blah blah :V
But seriously, if you're bored, go to training mode instead of watching animes.

Or train with m2k. His training method is amazing, and I only know ONE of his exercises (play a dummy cpu like it was a human, ie fastfalling after a uair asap in case he airdodged, stuff like that)
What I'm training atm is my thumb speed, to be able to dash dance or LaB consistently and stuff like that =3
Random tech skill train method an IC main told me is to watch one of your replays, take notes of everything you messed up, or everything you didn't try because it was too hard even if it was a better option, and go to training mode. I've got buffered pivot jabs done thanks to it, and a whole bunch of useless stuff like that :V

Seriously, I love training mode <3

About your stress, I can't do anything. When in tourneys I choke but it makes me play better :V

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Practice makes perfect, blah blah blah :V
But seriously, if you're bored, go to training mode instead of watching animes.

Or train with m2k. His training method is amazing, and I only know ONE of his exercises (play a dummy cpu like it was a human, ie fastfalling after a uair asap in case he airdodged, stuff like that)
What I'm training atm is my thumb speed, to be able to dash dance or LaB consistently and stuff like that =3
Random tech skill train method an IC main told me is to watch one of your replays, take notes of everything you messed up, or everything you didn't try because it was too hard even if it was a better option, and go to training mode. I've got buffered pivot jabs done thanks to it, and a whole bunch of useless stuff like that :V

Seriously, I love training mode <3

About your stress, I can't do anything. When in tourneys I choke but it makes me play better :V
Probably the best advice, no matter what's behind that sentence, it'll help improve your Luigi game.

Listen to Teneban.

Play wi-fi with Straked so we can do more Ganon vs. Falcon and tech the bottom of BF and make me sad again.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
can anyone give some awesome combos that work?
There aren't really any set combos for Luigi; you'll need to read your opponent's DI and air dodges to create long and damaging chains.

Down throw or a few Utilts are generally good chain starters, and pivot grabs and charged smashes are useful for beating air dodges. Luckily all of Luigi's aerials chain into each other pretty well, so the actual combo-ing part shouldn't be a problem.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Jab 1 -> Jab 2 is a true combo iirc.

Other than that, nothing's really guaranteed.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Idk, but sheik has the advantage imo. She can profit of our sucky falling speed more than most characters in the game and has more range than us. But she dies so EASYYYY that's sad lmao

Atomic Yoshi

Smash Apprentice
can you jab into grab down throw followed by aerial fire jump punch at lower percents?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Idk, but sheik has the advantage imo. She can profit of our sucky falling speed more than most characters in the game and has more range than us. But she dies so EASYYYY that's sad lmao
I thought we had the advantage...never though Sheik had one on us, even as best maybe.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
luigi vs shiek matchup, what is the ratio?
Prolly like 6/4 or 55:45. Possibly 5/5 but l doubt it, but it's def luigi's adv.

Nair > most of move set. I believe we mostly outrange her as well. Does olimar have disadv against shiek :confused: l think u started using shiek amrite? but fo sho luigi wrecks her =[.

can you jab into grab down throw followed by aerial fire jump punch at lower percents?
Most likely no, obv Di-able and very unsafe and un-viable lol.

AGuyNamedRaf

Smash Journeyman
Uair = win against Sheik. Her reasonably big target to weight ratio also makes her a nice target to yell SHORYOKEN!!!

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
i just watched a video with luigi vs. mario. Luigi holds down a sideB charge and camps. Mario is jumping around trying to psych him out with mindgames. he fails and get hit, twice by this move. I'm thinking can't mario have simply umped behind him and attacked? but that lead to me to thinking if Luigi can face the other way once he's already pointed in one direction?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
i just watched a video with luigi vs. mario. Luigi holds down a sideB charge and camps. Mario is jumping around trying to psych him out with mindgames. he fails and get hit, twice by this move. I'm thinking can't mario have simply umped behind him and attacked? but that lead to me to thinking if Luigi can face the other way once he's already pointed in one direction?
Your question was worded... weirdly.

Are you saying "can you change directions while charging a green missile?"

Delarious

Smash Rookie
Luigis D-air

Wheres the spot in luigis D-air that spikes? it would completely change my gamestyle if i get it down :dizzy:

AGuyNamedRaf

Smash Journeyman
Wheres the spot in luigis D-air that spikes? it would completely change my gamestyle if i get it down :dizzy:
It's in the first few frames where his arms are spinning (it's easier to do it when the opponent is above luigi). The spike hitbox is also where Luigi's butt is. It's easier to do the spike from behind and above Luigi.

Personally I like the side knockback better, but I hope that helps

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed that Luigi has some horrible matchups with the top tiers, mixed in with some decent ones. As a diddy main, I generally use Luigi as a surprise factor because he is low tier and also because diddy does well against Luigi's nightmare matchups (D3, Gdubs, MK, Marth sorta). Oh, and also because I got him as 2nd from Ook's little quiz :).

Do you guys think this is a good idea? How well does Luigi fare against a player with little matchup experience? Lastly, what would you guys say is the one factor holding Luigi back on the tier list?

Thanks in advance.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that Luigi has some horrible matchups with the top tiers, mixed in with some decent ones. As a diddy main, I generally use Luigi as a surprise factor because he is low tier and also because diddy does well against Luigi's nightmare matchups (D3, Gdubs, MK, Marth sorta). Oh, and also because I got him as 2nd from Ook's little quiz :).

Do you guys think this is a good idea? How well does Luigi fare against a player with little matchup experience? Lastly, what would you guys say is the one factor holding Luigi back on the tier list?

Thanks in advance.
Well don't play Lui b/c the quiz say you should; play w/ him because you feel comfortable with the character and want to improve your game with this character as well.

Luigi faring against a player with little match-up experience is dependent upon your play style and your ability to adapt to the match-up whether itz good or not.

The only factor holding Luigi back on the tier list, in my opinion, is his lack of effective approaches. Luigi is a character you have to be patient with in battle, which is why you want to walk with Lui instead or run to keep the limited amount of approaches available as well as your counter options open.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668

Thanks in advance.
Luigi has the priority to win matchups unlike some other characters

he doesn't have the range to deal with D3 or Gdubz proerly.

He doesn't have the projecitle to deal with Metaknight, Marth, and somewhat Snake.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero

Thanks in advance.
Luigi is mid tier status, unless I implied wrong which lm guessing lol. Alot of Diddys and Olimars have been picking up luigi lately against y'know the more oddest matchups. As ideo said before, don't listen to a quiz. Get his feel for him first. Most of the time Luigi feels so great because your landing combos but that's only against bad people. One of luigi's hard coming challenges is to effectively approach someone w/o getting punished for it.

Also I speak for Zhao. Zhao plays NEO on marth wifi just about for hours each day. Neo didn't even know wtf was luigi and **** and kept getting his *** wh00ped until he figured out his playstyle was wrong for MU. So of course with each passing day Zhao's luigi started having less and less options. So yeah really Luigi does well against people who have little MU experience.. but in higher level play, its a matter of people adapting to playstyles and others.. and seeing whichs works and which don't. I know people like NL have said this, def one of the key things for high level play.

oh i pretty much agree with koro said. Approaching means alot considering.. luigi is always forced to approach against his harder matchups.. its poor piss as ****..

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Yo

Is it possible to Fastfall through the top BF platform, by UpBing from off the ground below it? I want to say there is a timing, but I can never do it right.

Delarious

Smash Rookie
It's in the first few frames where his arms are spinning (it's easier to do it when the opponent is above luigi). The spike hitbox is also where Luigi's butt is. It's easier to do the spike from behind and above Luigi.

Personally I like the side knockback better, but I hope that helps
Thanks. i agree with you about how his side knockback is better... just wanted to get it down so i can do some mindgames

thanks

Top Bottom