• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pit Questions Thread

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Why does Pit have two moves that reflect projectiles? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using one or the other?

Nodonn

Smash Cadet
I think his down b reflects projectiles and blocks attacks, while his side b does some damage.

Why does Pit have two moves that reflect projectiles? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using one or the other?
I really don't understand why Pit's move have these properties, but from what I understand, the side B is the best move to use when the opponent is making a projectile based approach. It does have a disadvantage: ending lag. The other move, the mirror shield, can act as a secondary shield and reflect projectiles, but it leaves you exposed from other angles other than infront of you. For me, the Side B is the way to go, because they both have ending lag.

Uh, does the Dair spike? Cause that would make for a wicked WOP/Ken Combo hybrid with 5 jumps...
No, it doesn't, and even if it did, Pit's aerial versatility doesn't revolve around spikes. Even if you did manage to hit an aerial, the trajectory wouldn't allow for something like a Ken Combo to occur.

Also, Pit's aerials don't have WOP potential because they aren't quick enough to link together. Besides his Nair and Uair(The multi hit aerials), all of Pit's aerials have significant knockback.

Demontree

Smash Journeyman
I really don't understand why Pit's move have these properties, but from what I understand, the side B is the best move to use when the opponent is making a projectile based approach. It does have a disadvantage: ending lag. The other move, the mirror shield, can act as a secondary shield and reflect projectiles, but it leaves you exposed from other angles other than infront of you. For me, the Side B is the way to go, because they both have ending lag.

No, it doesn't, and even if it did, Pit's aerial versatility doesn't revolve around spikes. Even if you did manage to hit an aerial, the trajectory wouldn't allow for something like a Ken Combo to occur.

Also, Pit's aerials don't have WOP potential because they aren't quick enough to link together. Besides his Nair and Uair(The multi hit aerials), all of Pit's aerials have significant knockback.
i not sure how to quote.... but if this works wat do u mean by WOP potential?

Demontree

Smash Journeyman
err... i dont know really. i mean to quote the last part about WOP but.... sry.

Syzygy

Smash Apprentice
WOP stands for Wall Of Pain, a strategy normally employed by Jigglypuff which (essentially) involves dragging them off the edge with a bunch of air attacks, and jumping back with your superior recovery.

So you're saying that Pit's aerials are not combo-able in the way that Marth's were and Metaknight's appear to be? They're at that awkward knock back range that doesn't make them good for much? Cause Pit seems to be just the character for some sick aerial comboing, at least at low percentages.

Misaj

Smash Rookie
Does Pit gain any considerable height from his midair jumps? In the vids it looked like short little hops good only for horizantal distance.

Demontree

Smash Journeyman
Does Pit gain any considerable height from his midair jumps? In the vids it looked like short little hops good only for horizantal distance.

well dont completely trust me im not an expert like the other ppl here ;) and havent played him :(but from the videos i guess his standard highest one jump (like pressing the x or y buttong once in melee gc) goes as high as kirby's, but he can do four jumps so he can get real high PLUS his upspecial he could fly off the stage i guess.. No use in suicide but to give an idea i think u could cover lots of ground. flying better than running cause u r harder to hit.:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Demontree

Smash Journeyman
Oops I quoted incorectly. I meant to qoute Devastlian. He is at the top of this page. Well I guess I should use good spelling here because this isn't IM or anything. :D

EDIT: Wow I sound stupid. This is one of the first threads i posted in. Lol

How high is Pit's normal jump? Is it the average (if there is one) or is it shorter like Kirby and Jigglypuff's were?
He gains some decent height from his first jumps. The other jumps are similar to Kirby/Meta Knight/ Jiggs.

WOP stands for Wall Of Pain, a strategy normally employed by Jigglypuff which (essentially) involves dragging them off the edge with a bunch of air attacks, and jumping back with your superior recovery.

So you're saying that Pit's aerials are not combo-able in the way that Marth's were and Metaknight's appear to be? They're at that awkward knock back range that doesn't make them good for much? Cause Pit seems to be just the character for some sick aerial comboing, at least at low percentages.
All of Pit's aerials don't send the opponent in the appropriate trajectory to initial aerial combo attacks. All of his aerials (Besides the Nair and Uair; Multi hit attacks) have relatively strong knockback. Pit is a character that can go ground>air in terms of attacks.

His jumps do gain more horizontal distance than Meta Knight's (But not a significant amount), but what else would you expect from a person with small jumps. :p

adaptor17

Smash Journeyman
Is there any difference between Pits mirror shield and his move where he spins his sword around really fast?
yes there is a few differences. when he spins his swords it does damage, while the mirror shield does not. and when he spins his swords it doesnt act as an unbreakable shield like the mirror shield does.

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
Ok what kind of character is Pit exactly? In melee we look at falco as a combo oriented character, Jiggs as knocking you off the stage and keeping you off etc..Well what about Pit? If you had to classify him in some way (i know its still early and it can easily change as we get more information) what would you pick?

Demontree

Smash Journeyman
I have a thread about this, but do you consider Pit defensive or offensive considering his specials?

Ok what kind of character is Pit exactly? In melee we look at falco as a combo oriented character, Jiggs as knocking you off the stage and keeping you off etc..Well what about Pit? If you had to classify him in some way (i know its still early and it can easily change as we get more information) what would you pick?
This cannot be determined as of now. We'll have to wait until the full game comes out to make a deep analysis.

ballerboy

Smash Rookie
does pit have a spike, cuz in sse gameplay vids, i saw his dair was like marth's dair.

iron blade

Smash Ace
its too bad that he doesnt have a spike, with the level of knockback his aerials give, it would be really effective

How well are Pit's rolls, side step, and air dodge?
His rolls are fairly fast at first, but have ending lag (Like every roll).

Side step is pretty good actually.

His Air dodge is amazing though (But the airdodge in Brawl is amazing in general). Check out the video that I posted in this thread earlier. I used it to mindgame Gimpyfish and hit him with my Dair. ^_^

FallenAngelPit

Smash Apprentice
1st post!
does pits angel twirl (my sucky nickname) suck people in, or knock them back? can it be used to recover? how simple is pit to learn? which (excluding black or white) costume looks the best? can he juggle? and how do you know so much? did you go to e 4 all just to play pit? what ever the answer, thanks a ton.

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
1st post!
does pits angel twirl (my sucky nickname) suck people in, or knock them back? can it be used to recover? how simple is pit to learn? which (excluding black or white) costume looks the best? can he juggle? and how do you know so much? did you go to e 4 all just to play pit? what ever the answer, thanks a ton.
I am assuming you mean his side B. I does not suck people in or knock them back, it does reflect projectiles however.
It's not the kind of move you want to use for recovery.
Costume is personal choice, I liked blue winged.
Most of his ariels provide too much knockback for juggling. The exception being his UAir
E 4 All
No

iron blade

Smash Ace
i've seen a bunch of videos but i can't really tell, can you move around while doing his side b or can you only go the short distance i've seen and stand there spinning until you let go of the button?

Dynamism

Smash Lord
:laugh:

ok, did you ever use the mirror sheild? Why would he reflect with Side B if that's what Down B is for. Does the mirror sheild have like zero lag or something? Or is it for blocking at an infinite rate too. Like an endless frontal sheild or something?

I just don't see any reason to use it if Side B does what it's supposed to do all the same. Does it have the speed of a shine or something. :ohwell:

FallenAngelPit

Smash Apprentice
I am assuming you mean his side B. I does not suck people in or knock them back, it does reflect projectiles however.
It's not the kind of move you want to use for recovery.
Costume is personal choice, I liked blue winged.
Most of his ariels provide too much knockback for juggling. The exception being his UAir
E 4 All
No
yes, I ment his side B. but dosent it do damage? I was just wondering what the effect was.
meh, just wondering, although due to the ending lag, i guess not.
im actualy not sure why I posted this, thats very true, although dark... everyone will be spamed online.
ok
ok

Demontree

Smash Journeyman
Yes he can. It's one of the best aspects of his bow. I'm not sure if the arrows make you flinch but lets say Link is doing his Dair on you. You can shoot up and stop him from doing it then hit him with an upsmash.

iron blade

Smash Ace
that's awesome that you can tilt his bow, and yes, his arrows make you flinch.

what is pit's dash attack?

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
:laugh:

ok, did you ever use the mirror sheild? Why would he reflect with Side B if that's what Down B is for. Does the mirror sheild have like zero lag or something? Or is it for blocking at an infinite rate too. Like an endless frontal sheild or something?

I just don't see any reason to use it if Side B does what it's supposed to do all the same. Does it have the speed of a shine or something. :ohwell:
Side B moves him foward and does damage while reflecting projectiles, probably would have been good vs characters like falco if he were in Melee. The mirror shield acts as a second unbreakable shield, but you can still be grabbed out of it and hit from behind.

Top Bottom