• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Olimar Stage Discussion

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Summary: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217068

Pros:

-****in SGC

-Support Ghosts *may* save you. It isn't reliable, but benefits Olimar more so than most other characters because of our bad recovery.
-Platform is amazing for Olimar. Its size makes it difficult for us to get platform trapped, while we're still able to do the same to the opponent, especially if they're on the lower end of the platform.
-Platform can mess up IC blizzard wall and desyncs
-The slants and dips do not affect Olimar's grab, and can actually allow us to avoid certain attacks easier

Cons:
-The slants and dips can cause Olimar's fsmash to be unusable at certain areas, as it will hit the higher ground and the hitbox will disappear.
-The stage's size is smaller than some other neutrals, making it difficult for more defensive Olimars to keep distance from their opponent.
-The ceiling is a bit high

Counterpick:
:popo: :diddy: :wario: :pit:

Neutral: Meta Knight

Ban
:sonic: :dk: :wolf:

Strike Against: Lucario, Dedede, Snake,

Pluck Percentages
Main Stage: 23%, 23%, 23%, 15%, 15%

Support Ghost: 23%, 23%, 23%, 20%, 10%

Return to Stage Directory

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Yoshis island is probably my 3rd favorite neutral. FD > BF > YI

This stage works wonders against diddy for some reason, at least i think so. The middle platform screws up his banana game because they still bounce up to it, but not low enough for them to jump zcatch and banana lock (like they can on battlefield). It also 90% eliminates our 45 funnel because of the tilted platform.

I always ban this stage against DK though. DK is a tough mu for me (i usually have to fight people like will's dk if any), and they do terribly well on this stage.

SGC. Enough said.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I like this stage a litte bit more than FD. I just wouldn't want to be caught on the top platform.
Help ghosts are great though. Since Olimar's recovery is so gimpable, they can be life savers

BTW, are you gonna start listing results for picking on the first page?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I really can't stand Yoshi's Island.

1. The music is dumb.
2. The platform never comes out to save me even though I aim for it every time I can't recover without it.
3. The slant messes up my fsmashes.
4. It's short, which is bad against characters you need a lot of space to play against like R.O.B, Marth, and Snake.
5. It's actually GOOD for a lot of other characters. (Namely DK and Sonic.)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Ah, Yoshi's Island. Main times I'll ever use this stage is for the Meta Knight and Diddy matchups. I don't know why, I just love this stage to death against Meta. It just seems like the platform is perfect for us in this matchup. And, tbh, I don't like to be extremely far from MKs when facing them, but there's a certain point I like to keep as the distance between us. If someone can explain to me why I love YI against MK that'd be great. Otherwise I'll just continue CP'ing it, as it usually works :p

As for Diddy, this is one of Diddy's worst stages. As Icy said, the platform ****s up with bananas pretty bad, and we're able to keep a good pressure game on him, due to the small size.

I can't think of any characters off hand that the stage works well against. Don't fight DK here. This is also usually my other strike against marth, alongside battlefield. Wouldn't really want to fight peach here either, tbh. Platform would work too well for her against us in this matchup, and the small size works well for her against us. Oh yeah and Sonic.

Really tired, btw, so if this post doesn't make too much sense, yeah... >.>
Also, updated the first post with FD's info, sorry for it taking so long. I'll try to get BF done tomorrow and put up the empty YI layout.

I really can't stand Yoshi's Island.

1. The music is dumb.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw0htvRP2Rg

IcyLight

Smash Lord
that slant on the right/left that messes up fsmashes is so dumb. same thing with lylat, i go to fsmash its too low to groudn to hit and they kill me. that's the ONLY down point. and it is small, so chars you need a lot of space to deal with should not be brought here. as hilt said, i like this stage against mk not sure why either...it is that perfect camping distance away though, which is also the distance i like to be away from snake, so i like to fight snakes here too.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
From my thread, I pretty much feel the same still.
"
Pikmin toss (especially when sh'd) can be interrupted here from the tilting platform, so camping can be difficult. This also means that if they are camping with a horizontal projectile, approaching them may be difficult since you may have to go on the platform, a disadvantaged position.
Of course, that means f-smash camping is also very good. Forcing opponents into approaching from above is a great tactic here by f-smash spacing. When they're in the air, u-smash is a good option, and uair if you have the room.
No chance of gay deaths from bad ledges, this ledge is great. That said, watch out for wall-jumpers (lucario, for example), as they may use this to recover and surprise you.
Support ghosts or w/e they are called are silly, but can help oli's recovery. Don't fool yourself into thinking they are foolproof, since they may just start to fall when you're about to land. The shyguys really don't effect oli at all."

But that last statement is ****ing stupid.....
THIS IS EASILY OLIMAR'S BEST LEVEL
If you've ever SGC'd a ***** here, you know what I'm talkin about.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
How is this stage against ice climbers. I really like this stage against ice climbers. I think the platforms are great for avoiding the blizzard wall and to camp at a safe distance.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If the platform is slanted down and towards Olimar if he's at the edge of the stage then yes, it would help out the ICs. There wouldn't be an even moderately safe way to attack them. You'd probably have to resort to just full hopping over them, and then double jumping to the side.

Then again, if they're close enough you can toss a purple over the blizzard, perhaps a yellow.

Noa.

Smash Master
Yoshi's Island is a stage that I'm fine with. I tend to strike it though because I prefer other neutrals.

It's very easy to juggle with Uair and usmash since they'll either land on the platform which is very dangerous for the opponent, or on the sides of the stage, and it's easy to pressure there since it's near the end of the stage.

Albeit, fsmash edgeguarding is more difficult here. But while fsmash is harder to use when you're facing away from the center of the stage, fsmash gets a boost when you face the center of the stage since the low ground gives fsmash more altitude.

The Peach I tend to play against does really well on this stage though. Idk why for sure, but Peach does very well here.

PSIQuasi

Smash Cadet
I don't like it. Well, I don't play it often, but I have reasons. Like mentioned above, the center platform is a big issue, since it could work as a double-edged sword. It can block thrown projectiles, making it good for match-ups for Diddy, obviously not a good against Snake, because of low ceiling, which also benefits you. Against other people like TL or ROB, most of their projectiles can be blocked by the platform (The boomerang and laser are deflected by the platform, hitting the top). As for Olimar, the low ceiling can help score good vertical kills. But, pikmin toss is interfered with the platform, so try throwing it so they go from behind or, under the platform.

Overall, try to utilize the platform to you're advantage, and verticals are easier.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
isn't the ceiling pretty high here? really short sides not so sure about ceiling though :X also, if you fight people on yoshis try to keep your dsmash fresh for an easy ~100% kill

Tin Man

Smash Hero
It is also about controlling the center of the stage to the best of your ability, however with Olimars meta game (pivot grab, camp, etc) we will be leaving the center often :ohwell:

DUB

Smash Lord
I don't like it. Well, I don't play it often, but I have reasons. Like mentioned above, the center platform is a big issue, since it could work as a double-edged sword. It can block thrown projectiles, making it good for match-ups for Diddy, obviously not a good against Snake, because of low ceiling, which also benefits you. Against other people like TL or ROB, most of their projectiles can be blocked by the platform (The boomerang and laser are deflected by the platform, hitting the top). As for Olimar, the low ceiling can help score good vertical kills. But, pikmin toss is interfered with the platform, so try throwing it so they go from behind or, under the platform.

Overall, try to utilize the platform to you're advantage, and verticals are easier.
In theory, I think the stage provides nice bonuses for Olimar. Up-Smashes and U-airs can be abused if anyone is above you thanks to the huge shielding platform. There is that "ghost" platform that is also able to save in instances where you know you are doomed so why not go for it. Granted this can be done by the opponent ( and probably will :mad:) to it's still a nice incentive to have if you know you will not make it onto the stage. Against characters who rely on auto-canceled aerials, this would be a decent neutral to strike for. The weird sloped terrain will increase lag on aerials that would normally auto cancel leaving them more susceptible for a grab or other form of punishment.

While I think the stage has some decent perks for Olimar, I wouldn't say it is one of best by far. The general way Olimar plays may endanger him.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Alright, sorry for falling out from this guys, I'm back :D

Well then, is YI over? Seems the discussion has died down, not too surrised. IT doesn't really seem like a major stage for Olimar like FD or other stages may be.

I'll let the discussion of it go a little bit longer before I switch, though.

Also, Llumys, I don't know why I never thought of it messing up IC Desyncs lol. I don't usually consider the stage too much when choosing my CPs, guess that's a problem :/

Alright, so basically what I've established for matchups are:

MK - Starter? Don't really know why though, nobody does lol but yeah.
Snake - STRIKE!!!!
DK - Strike (Ban?)
Diddy - CP
Peach - Strike (Ban?)
IC - CP?
Wario - I hear it's a naturally bad stage for wario and messes up his recovery.
Lucario - Strike

Llumys

Smash Champion
Doesn't Meta Knight benefit from the platform with his tornado? <_<;

Also, I wouldn't ban this against Peach. The slants make her ground floating a lot more situational.

DUB

Smash Lord
Doesn't Meta Knight benefit with his tornado?
Fix'd

Ummm for YI is actually a really good stage for Donkey Kong ( invincibility, platform camp, platform can also help him position Ground Pounds better.

I would go to any other neutral before this vs. DK and I'm sure most of the DK mains would agree.

Noa.

Smash Master
What stage would you ban against Peach instead Llumys? This is a really good stage for Peach in the Oli matchup. It's surprisingly irratating to play her here. I don't know why though. It'd seem like a good stage, but it's actually horrible.

Fino

Smash Master
What stage would you ban against Peach instead Llumys? This is a really good stage for Peach in the Oli matchup. It's surprisingly irratating to play her here. I don't know why though. It'd seem like a good stage, but it's actually horrible.
I've always felt Yoshi's island was one of the better neutrals to play peach on...

~Fino

Noa.

Smash Master
All I'm going to say is that I play Peach, a lot. I've played against her hundreds and hundreds of times. I just happen to lose against Peach than win on Yoshi's. Maybe it isn't a bad stage, but I don't like it against Peach.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Smashville

Summary: Basically a backup Final Destination. Most of the defining features of FD apply to Smashville as well, due to it mostly being a flat stage. However, smashville is not nearly as large as FD, so camping isn't as effective as it would be otherwise. The platform doesn't entirely work the same was as the platforms on Battlefield or Lylat would, since it's mobile. Avoiding characters such as Ice Climbers when in a bad situation, or avoiding Falco until you're at percents high enough to be safe from the chaingrab, is oftentimes a useful tactic. It's hard to get pressured while you're on this platform because shielding an aerial from the opponent usually also moves you out of danger, as the platform travels away from them. In the same sense, if Olimar is trapped against his opponent while on the platform, which wouldn't normally be extremely dangerous, escaping from the platform isn't as troublesome. But in a nutshell, the stage is essentially a backup FD.

Pros:

- Platform allows Olimar an area to escape to without being as vulnerable as he would be on other stages' platforms.
- Size allows Olimar to benefit from his camping game
- It's more difficult to platform pressure Olimar, while yellow uair still has a large enough horizontal hitbox to take advantage of it

Cons:
- Characters that would air camp againt Olimar can make very good use of the platform against us.
- The platform can be used to aid some characters' edgeguards against us

Counterpick:
:falco: :popo: :luigi2:

Neutral: Diddy (if you prefer it over battlefield)

Ban::dk: :wolf:

Strike Against: Meta Knight, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Marth (if you prefer yoshi's island/lylat over it)

Pluck Percentages
Main Stage: 23%, 23%, 23%, 15%, 15%

Return to Stage Directory

Dyyne

Smash Ace
You should put Wolf as a ban for Yoshi's, it's pretty terrible there, imo.

Noa.

Smash Master
Smashville is nice. It's shorter than FD and with a traveling platform. It's less campier than FD, but there's still room for space.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
ummmm alright that didn't last long XD

I'll end discussion soon, then. Few things I'll point out about smashville that makes it different than FD, all involving the platform :X

-Platform can be used well in the falco matchup to avoid him until you get to 20% at the beginning of each stock, preventing him from getting an easy kill.

-Platform at times gives us an extra option when recovering, messing up our opponent's edge guard.

-Platform traps aren't as common, as the platform isn't always there, and moves out of the way making it a little more difficult for us.

-Popping the balloon with tether is the best way to say "**** you"

Essentially though, this stage is basically FD with better music.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
One somewhat useless comment, the moving platform can screw with the easy white/purple farming method. <<

Fino

Smash Master
I end up on Smashville about 85% of the time with stage striking. Take ICs here, it's a free win (moving platform camp the whole match).
K.K. Slider is the ****: assuming a regular tournament schedule, you should demand that SV always be played for Final rounds

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer

K.K. Slider is the ****: assuming a regular tournament schedule, you should demand that SV always be played for Final rounds
This x100...

...especially when you add this kind of music...

...and this...
...and this...
...and this...
...and this...

So many good songs. ;P

Icylight, I don't think I've ever managed to get all 7 hits to connect... I believe 5 for yellows and whites and 3 for the others. EDIT: Not that it matters, lol...

Top Bottom