• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Pre-Release Tournaments

KiddyDong

Smash Cadet
REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 13, 2008 – Attention all Smash fans: Put up your dukes! Just before the launch of the much-anticipated Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario and friends are hosting four regional Wii tournaments. The competitions will visit Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and finally New York for a Midnight Madness Launch event at the Best Buy store at 622 Broadway in New York. All of the 256 participants at each location will receive a $10 Best Buy gift card. One lucky grand prize winner will receive a custom-designed, crystal-covered Wii, a home theater system from Best Buy and other prizes.

“Super Smash Bros. is one of the world’s most popular game franchises because it draws in characters from across the Nintendo universe and beyond for some all-out fighting fun,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of sales & marketing. “Super Smash Bros. Brawl has extreme appeal among our core audience, but these tournaments are a great way to get new fans involved as well – before the game is even available in stores.”

Each regional tournament will provide the first 256 people in attendance the chance to “brawl” one-on-one with other contestants in a single-elimination tournament to determine a winner in each market. Regional winners will face off in a final multiplayer “brawl” at the New York City tournament.

The grand prize winner will receive a crystal-coated Wii with a design from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, a home theater system from Best Buy and a copy of the game. The second-place finisher will receive one Wii system and Wii Remote, one copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and a $1,000 Best Buy gift card. The third-place finisher will receive a Wii and Wii Remote, a copy of the game and a $500 Best Buy gift card. The fourth-place finisher will receive a Wii, an extra Wii Remote, a copy of the game and a $250 Best Buy gift card. For more information about the tournaments, visit Nintendo.com.

The tournaments will take place at the following times and locations:
Feb. 16
Doors open at 3 p.m.
Orpheum Theater
842 S. Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90014

Feb. 23
Doors open at 2 p.m.
Ten15 Folsom
1015 Folsom St.
San Francisco, CA 94103

March 1
Doors open at 3 p.m.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Olden Hall
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA 01609

March 8
Doors open at 5 p.m.
Best Buy (NOHO)
622 Broadway
New York, NY 10012
Pretty nice prizes if you ask me.

Edit: If I should have put this in Tournament Listings can a mod move this

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if we are going to have to camp out the night before in order to be in.

I intend on going to the SF one. Maybe we should make a sort of "Smashboards" meet up?

I am down for coordinating a time to meet up with everyone that goes so that we can ensure us an entry. It would help to pass the time if we had a meet up at these tournaments.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if we are going to have to camp out the night before in order to be in.

I intend on going to the SF one. Maybe we should make a sort of "Smashboards" meet up?

I am down for coordinating a time to meet up with everyone that goes so that we can ensure us an entry. It would help to pass the time if we had a meet up at these tournaments.
Camp out? It's gonna be pretty cold.. oh man, haha. I wouldn't mind for a meet-up though, just as long as there aren't any crazies or killjoys. If there are enough of us coming and we start coordinating feel free to pen me into that meet-up. I was planning on going around maybe 7-8 AM? I'm not experienced with these official tourneys though so maybe earlier? I'd be more willing if there will be more of us, I don't wanna be in SF all by myself at like 4 in the morning, haha. So yeah, we'll see I guess? If we have enough I mean.

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
Considering that most of the US has yet to touch brawl, I am certain that people will be lining up the night before to enter, especially since the prizes are so "juicy".

I really would like to use this thread to coordinate the meet up. 7AM sounds ideal. I really do not want to camp out unless it is needed as a last resort

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Considering that most of the US has yet to touch brawl, I am certain that people will be lining up the night before to enter, especially since the prizes are so "juicy".
Yeah that's true. More so in the bigger cities though, and unfortunately SF is one of them. An ideal strategy would be to have someone tell us if people are already lining up, and how many are lining up by the second/minute/hour. So just incase people do start camping out, we can head over there and do it too. That's gonna be a good day for Starbucks, lol. Though we probably don't have the luxury of knowing someone who will do that for us, hah.

I really would like to use this thread to coordinate the meet up. 7AM sounds ideal. I really do not want to camp out unless it is needed as a last resort
Yeah, that or we can coordinate it in a SF only thread, but maybe later when there's a need for it. And yeah, I would also agree with the last resort thing. That would suck so much (and be so tragically hilarious) though if I get my butt handed to me in a few seconds because I can't get comfortable with the new controls (assuming there aren't any GC controllers) and I waited 12-15 hours in line.

littlewolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
littlewolf128
WOW This is great i will be in La all this weekend Is any one else going to la to play it would be cool to play some one from the boards. And is there a minimum number of people that can go?

DSGamer3002

Smash Rookie
I plan on going to the SF one. Just in case I'm going to bring my own controller (GCN) if they allow it, but I'm not sure what time to leave for the city. It takes me about an hour to reach the city, then I don't know how long it would take to get to the place where the tournament is being held. What time would you guys recommend arriving there to ensure a spot in the tournament?

Thanks.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
Crystal Coated Wii?Ah Nuts! even though i have a good smash experience,it's not on my location! I LIVE IN BAHRAIN! All the way to the Middle East! I want to join a tournament one day!

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Not At Nintendo World? OK. At least one is in New York. PM AlphaZealot to move this thread to Tournament Listings unless his stickies says otherwise.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I plan on going to the SF one. Just in case I'm going to bring my own controller (GCN) if they allow it, but I'm not sure what time to leave for the city. It takes me about an hour to reach the city, then I don't know how long it would take to get to the place where the tournament is being held. What time would you guys recommend arriving there to ensure a spot in the tournament?

Thanks.
Well, me and Shadowzero220 had a conversation about this earlier actually. She/He proposed that we have a meet up so we can arrive there on time and guarantee a spot for everyone. Although none of us, ofcourse, are exactly sure when people will start lining up. Normally early mornings would be ideal, but if people start camping out over night because of the 256 limit, some of us may consider doing the same thing. Anyway, the place isn't that far from the freeway or a BART station (which I'll probably take if I end up going in early mornings - I live about an hour away too). You can check out the venue online. The address is in the article.

GSus

Smash Rookie
Oh man, too bad Olden hall doesn't exist.
I have no idea why they chose WPI of all schools, but I'm happy as hell.

DSGamer3002

Smash Rookie
Well, me and Shadowzero220 had a conversation about this earlier actually. She/He proposed that we have a meet up so we can arrive there on time and guarantee a spot for everyone. Although none of us, ofcourse, are exactly sure when people will start lining up. Normally early mornings would be ideal, but if people start camping out over night because of the 256 limit, some of us may consider doing the same thing. Anyway, the place isn't that far from the freeway or a BART station (which I'll probably take if I end up going in early mornings - I live about an hour away too). You can check out the venue online. The address is in the article.
Do you think it's necessary to camp out to guarantee a spot, or is that just to be safe and make sure you get like 1st or 2nd in line? :p If it's to really necessary to come early in the morning or camp out, then I might not be able to go. >_<

f8lmatt

Smash Apprentice
everyone who goes to SF tommorow please give us all the details and have fun paying to go to NY (thats to whoever wins)

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Do you think it's necessary to camp out to guarantee a spot, or is that just to be safe and make sure you get like 1st or 2nd in line? :p If it's to really necessary to come early in the morning or camp out, then I might not be able to go. >_<
I'm just saying, people might start camping out at night. And 256 spots can go by pretty quickly. I hope no one does because I don't want to do that either, but the question is, what if they did? And what if alot of people did? But if they didn't, I wouldn't doubt that they will be there EARLY in the morning.

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
everyone who goes to SF tommorow please give us all the details and have fun paying to go to NY (thats to whoever wins)
The SF one is next weekend. This weekend is the LA one.

DSGamer, it may not be necessary to camp out, but we may need to.

I'm just saying, people might start camping out at night. And 256 spots can go by pretty quickly. I hope no one does because I don't want to do that either, but the question is, what if they did? And what if alot of people did?
Indeed. 256 spots may sound like a lot, but when you think about it, it is actually very little.

Oceanburn, do you think you can scout the area the night before just in case?

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Indeed. 256 spots may sound like a lot, but when you think about it, it is actually very little.

I don't live in the actual city so I can't say for sure if I can, but I might be able to. I can't make any promises though. We should have a plan B, C, and D just incase. There should be more people coming that are from this community/board.

f8lmatt

Smash Apprentice
The SF one is next weekend. This weekend is the LA one.

DSGamer, it may not be necessary to camp out, but we may need to.

touche! Well give us the details LA kids!! thanks!

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
i'll be heading heading down to SF friday night just in case the line starts up early.

and there's a good chance it will, especially since most of the NorCal smash community is going to want to be there.

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
i'll be heading heading down to SF friday night just in case the line starts up early.

and there's a good chance it will, especially since most of the NorCal smash community is going to want to be there.
Excellent!
Shall we exchange contact information so that we may be in communication just in case the line does form on friday?

littlewolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
littlewolf128
I hope the la one is not really packed I want to get in to play. I'm not traveling for 5 hours to leave hahahaha

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Rumor says that only 18+ people can enter the tournament.
>.> So that might cut down the number of possible attendees drastically?
-DD

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Excellent!
Shall we exchange contact information so that we may be in communication just in case the line does form on friday?
i'm gonna see if i can borrow my buddy's ipod touch (for WiFi internet) and i'll post any info on the line status here. actually, we might be able to use tomorrow's event in LA as an indication of how bad the line we'll be. but we'll see how it goes.

Rumor says that only 18+ people can enter the tournament.
>.> So that might cut down the number of possible attendees drastically?
-DD
not to sound like a ****, but i actually hope that's the case. that would give my friends and i a better shot at getting in. :p

but then again, i think that most people who are going to try to make it to this thing are going to be 18 and over anyway.

cinse85

Smash Rookie
hey if anyone plans on going early and wants to make $

pm me your phone # and i'll give u a call tmw morn from 9-10 to see where you're at and how the line is. if you hold a spot in line for me ill give u $10 when we meet up? it'll be just me so it shouldnt be a problem.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
T_T Yea, the 18+ thing isn't a problem...
Except that I'm 17 TT_TT!
-DD

hitori

Smash Journeyman
>_< called the venue earlier today, they said line-ups weren't allowed until Noon? o.O anyone else hear something similar?

cinse85

Smash Rookie
>_< called the venue earlier today, they said line-ups weren't allowed until Noon? o.O anyone else hear something similar?
sounds like what the metreon told me pre-ps3 release night. no, we wont be accepting lines until 9 am! they had 300 ppl in line by midnight...

just a buncha employee's talkin the company line without giving any thought

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
i'm gonna see if i can borrow my buddy's ipod touch (for WiFi internet) and i'll post any info on the line status here. actually, we might be able to use tomorrow's event in LA as an indication of how bad the line we'll be. but we'll see how it goes.

not to sound like a ****, but i actually hope that's the case. that would give my friends and i a better shot at getting in. :p

but then again, i think that most people who are going to try to make it to this thing are going to be 18 and over anyway.
Considering that I too am from Sacramento, I would rather be there when someone else from here is rather than waiting for info from home. There may be a certain amount when I read it from home, but when I arrive from driving for 2 hours, there may be a huge difference in how the line is.

Sorry if this isn't exactly coherent. I am kinda buzzed at the moment.

Basically I would rather go there with someone than read how it is from home and drive there only to find the line full.

If you are weary about trading contact info, don't worry, I am no stalker or anything :p

batsman415

Smash Cadet
I live in San Fran, and im thinkin 6 is a good time to at least get a spot. I really doubt the 18+ thing, cause this is a Nintendo event. I also think we arent gonna have any pros, because it is a Nintendo event, that means items. If anyone is heading down there earlier than 6, thatll prolly make me get there earlier. I at least want someone else to be there..........

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
I'll be going to the LA one. I'll be going kind of early to scope out if there are any lines and probably going to and from the venue at timed intervals to see how that progresses. I live only 2 blocks away from the place, so it makes it pretty easy for me.

Top Bottom