• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Yaruzu

Smash Cadet
So I'm re-texturing a stage (which I've done before) and I'm dealing with a texture where when I try to replace it it gives an error saying "The new texture has 256 colors in it's palette, while the destination file currently has space for 14 colors." It is an indexed texture, and when I was saving the image that it says has "256 colours" I indexed it as Local (adaptive) (which is what I find usually works) and I made it have 14 colours. Even though I made it have 14 colours, it is still throwing the error. Can anybody help me with this please?

Corey

Smash Rookie
How do I change the alternate skins in 20xx 4.05? Like, when you press L/R

I opened it in dat texture program, but cant figure out how to

Yaruzu

Smash Cadet
How do I change the alternate skins in 20xx 4.05? Like, when you press L/R

I opened it in dat texture program, but cant figure out how to
Each character skin will have 3 different files for it: The .dat which is the neutral costume, the .lat which is the costume you get when you press L, and the .rat which is the costume you get when you press R. You should be using DAT Texture Wizard if you aren't already. Everything is labeled in that.

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
We've seen that it's possible to remove parts of characters my editing their code, like removing capes or changing hair models etc. Would it be possible to then add a cape to a non-cape character?
Milun Milun

Corey

Smash Rookie
Each character skin will have 3 different files for it: The .dat which is the neutral costume, the .lat which is the costume you get when you press L, and the .rat which is the costume you get when you press R. You should be using DAT Texture Wizard if you aren't already. Everything is labeled in that.

I cant find any .lat or .rat files in here

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
Thanks Dawg I had the same problem you too Achilles1515 Achilles1515

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Corey Corey Also, it doesn't look like that's a 20XX 4.0+ iso. So the file would be one of the trophy files; you can find out which is which in the OP of the 20XX thread.

Sorry, I've been away from hacking for several days, but I think I should be able to finish what I was working on this week and release a new update which should answer most file questions.

We've seen that it's possible to remove parts of characters my editing their code, like removing capes or changing hair models etc. Would it be possible to then add a cape to a non-cape character?
Milun Milun
I would think so. But you'd also have to tweak the models so the parts match up, and space might need to be added to the file, at least to do it properly (I dunno if sticking it at the end would work). More importantly though, it most likely wouldn't move, because there wouldn't be any code to govern the new cape if the original character didn't have one. Unless things like hair and clothing have some flag or property that makes them subject to some particular global physics.

Last edited:

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
Corey Corey Also, it doesn't look like that's a 20XX 4.0+ iso. So the file would be one of the trophy files; you can find out which is which in the OP of the 20XX thread.

Sorry, I've been away from hacking for several days, but I think I should be able to finish what I was working on this week and release a new update which should answer most file questions.

I would think so. But you'd also have to tweak the models so the parts match up, and space might need to be added to the file, at least to do it properly (I dunno if sticking it at the end would work). More importantly though, it most likely wouldn't move, because there wouldn't any code to govern the new cape if the original character didn't have one. Unless things like hair and clothing have some flag or property that makes them subject to some particular global physics.
Hadn't thought about the cape physics thats a good point. I'll explore some model hacking stuff and see what I can do, spring break is coming up

Last edited:

luigit0ilet

Smash Rookie
i tried putting my new 20xx with the new textures over my old one yet on my SD card it now says there is no room available for the old game.iso or the new 20xx.iso that i made, would anyone know why this is happening or how i can fix it?

Milun

Smash Ace
Milun Milun
I won't rule it out as impossible, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do it. Even if you did, I imagine you'd have some trouble getting it to look natural (since the cape is made for a different characters body shape). I did succeed once in changing the bones the cape was parented to (but I don't think that's all to useful).

Last edited:

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
I won't rule it out as impossible, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do it. Even if you did, I imagine you'd have some trouble getting it to look natural (since the cape is made for a different characters body shape). I did succeed once in changing the bones the cape was parented to (but I don't think that's all to useful).
gotcha

DRGN

Technowizard
Just found an interesting pattern. Below are all image data headers from GrSt.dat (Yoshi' Story).
upload_2016-3-30_15-27-42.png

These 1s coincide with the floats on the right (the latter of which are already thought to be mipmap count as a float), so it looks like the 1s might actually be a simple boolean flag for whether or not the texture is part of a mipmap group. I've looked at several other files and I see the same pattern. (Probably no characters use them, but I could be wrong. Also, I'm a little surprised to see a few other stages with mipmaps too. who knew?) As for the zeros between these two values, I have no idea. I've never seen them be anything but zeros though. Let me know if you ever find one of these values that's not 0.

If true, the flag seems a bit redundant, since the game could instead just check if the float is 0. Maybe it's this way just to save some calculations. Regardless, this is a good day for mipmaps, as I also had some new ideas for good ways to work with them in DTW.

Achilles1515 Achilles1515 : just in case you feel like playing with something random and seeing what functions work with this.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Well adding a cape should definitely be possible like how I added a hat for jiggs. But you shouldnt expect anything related to animations in a mod like this.

TheUSAce

Smash Rookie

Dark Blue Marth 1.0 MISSING MAGNIFYING GLASS COSTUME (replaces Neutral) - TheUSAce
Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0aLC8APTDVkQU9seWNkZ1NadUU

This is the oldest (and worst) version. Check out the newest (and best) version here: http://smashboards.com/threads/official-melee-texture-hack-thread.361190/page-79#post-21073394

Dark Blue Marth 2.0 MISSING MAGNIFYING GLASS COSTUME (replaces Neutral) - TheUSAce
Download link here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0aLC8APTDVkaG0yVUpfNTh1SU0

This is an old version. Check out the newest (and best) version here: http://smashboards.com/threads/official-melee-texture-hack-thread.361190/page-79#post-21073394

Dark Blue Marth 3.0 MISSING MAGNIFYING GLASS COSTUME - TheUSAce
Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0aLC8APTDVkbXU1VUVxSU03QTA

This is an old version. Check out the newest (and best) version here: http://smashboards.com/threads/official-melee-texture-hack-thread.361190/page-79#post-21073394

Sorry for the three different versions! This third one is the final one though. I originally went off-white because I was worried that the pants would look flat if I went pure white (the textures have some shading that I couldn't keep while getting the pure white). The off-white was bothering me so much I decided to try it out anyways, though, and it turns out the game has some lighting that gives it some shadow, so pure white doesn't look flat and just terrible. I think it actually ended up looking the best. Definitely my favorite.

Last edited:
Top Bottom