• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Thank you I'll be trying that.
Yeah I thought that had something to do with hexadecimal hilly billies which I haven't got through learning yet

EDIT: Okay so, what I did earlier what just removing the pokeball, pasting the logo and then keeping the black background like a ******, I removed it, shrunk the logo a bit but the lettering on the screen behind is still missing.
I suspect DATTW having something to do with this.

Also, I changed the color of the ground, I can't find anything about the top platforms, how are they colourized ? Same thing for the yellow triangles and the grey bars.
Alright, so I found how to change platform colors with a little research :

There were so many problems with this. It was actually frustrating.
1. The platform texture is transparent, white and grey. intertwined (not on top of) a green and yellow layer.
2. It's an I8 texture ( _1, white and black) not a CMPR (_14, colored).
3. Even when you change it, you mess up the arrows and lines around the Pokeball because they use the white texture as well.

In the stage below, the texture from the main floor is loaded onto the platforms above. This one just happens to be orange because I like orange. Unfortunately you lose those little yellow arrows on the top. I would suggest not messing with the other white texture at all (42 in steelia's pack).

Name: Pokemon Stadium w/Fixed Platform Colors
Made By: Joragsms
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ab7vfvx9an80vq9/GrPs_platform_fix.zip
BUT

I still have problems with the screen behind, the letters either get scrambled or they disappear at all, what is causing that ?

Dizee

Smash Rookie
fix all these formats
read the first post
I didn't quote all individual posts, just a single one by each author, so all the others are also wrong.
don't just look at someone elses post and automatically assume that is the correct way to submit something
Thank you for letting me know. I have them fixed now.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Just wanted to chime in here and say I really love this thread and thank you. I check it every day after work and there's always something new! How cool is that! :falconmelee:

Last edited:

Siro

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord

Also, Golden Fox (not Siro's new version) was made by WarriorKnight. It's listed as ??? in the main post.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Name: Golden Fox (Melee) (Replaces Neutral)
Made By: Siro & W.K.
Download Here: https://mega.co.nz/#!14AilK4Q!xKTF5VZy-bS1HSA8C_AklnuioDoACb6sYPlC4lP4c2w

Name: K-91 Falco HQ (Replaces Neutral)
Made By: Siro
Download Here: https://mega.co.nz/#!ZxQiVZTS!8hFdthU2CyZXYaQg4FfaeU1IXcZ2xsymP2n89sHJsy0

Name: K-91 Fox HQ (Replaces Neutral)
Made By: Siro
Download Here: https://mega.co.nz/#!x4hygSBK!xpsssX9yLaMap9pZ3a63xu1swxe-W72jKwgUmO4w2qo
Siro, your textures are SO awesome. For the golden fox, is the only difference his fur?

DRGN

Technowizard
Yes, CSPs! We need more of these, we do.

Also, we have a thread for these. Though I'm not actually sure if the good @ Doq Doq is still planning to update it.

Btw, your CSP looks good, but I wanted to point out that if you give the image a palette (google is your friend if you don't know how) and use lime green and magenta as replacement colors for the shadow and background, then your CSPs will look better in-game. (You could probably search the forums for "lime green" and/or "magenta" to get an idea of what I'm talking about.)

Mapet

Smash Cadet
Thank you, I've been wondering how to do that. I'll get on that tomorrow. I also have one for blue Tron Captain Falcon that I'll share once I give it a palette.

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
whenever I use DAT Texture Wizard to import textures into character files, the images get jammed up and bugs my dolphin (i get error reads at random adresses)

Is this because my files are too large, too hq or not in tpl format ?

Because I made this and can't put the shadow files without rekting the entire textures.

It's a texture I made, along others, for my local video games bar which hosts weeklies every wednesday here.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
whenever I use DAT Texture Wizard to import textures into character files, the images get jammed up and bugs my dolphin (i get error reads at random adresses)

Because I made this and can't put the shadow files without rekting the entire textures.

It's a texture I made, along others, for my local video games bar which hosts weeklies every wednesday here.
That texture...

DRGN

Technowizard

Hard to say without knowing exactly what was done, but a typo in an offset with any of the textures could cause that. Best thing to do in that case would be to start with a fresh copy of the character file and try again.

I don't know of any bugs in the current version of DAT Texture Wizard (v2.2).

To make projects with multiple textures, or especially anything you'll do multiple times like a character, easier, you can use placement files, so you don't need to retype the offsets each time you bring everything into the program (reducing the chance of mistakes). You could keep a copy of all of a character's original textures in a folder, with each one with a texID in the file name (explained more in the thread if you don't know what I mean). It's a little set up, but then every time you wanted to make a new character it would be quicker and easier.

So then whenever you want to make a new skin, you just copy the textures you want to edit to a new directory, edit them, then drag-and-drop all the files (including the placements file and character dat file) into DTW. All of the offsets would already be set, so you'd just click overwrite and you're done.

Edit: And yeah, that skin is pretty cool. :)

Last edited:

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
So I've been working on my first texture hack, and this is what I've got so far.

http://imgur.com/yW2EadD

http://i.imgur.com/GmzgdJo.png

So far I'm fairly happy with it. The top tree texture is horrible to work with, so I doubt I'll ever be happy with that, tried to mess with some filters in photoshop to make it look a bit more snow-covered, without me manually having to do it, because that just becomes a mess - considering the nature of how they render the top of the tree.

One thing I'm not certain about at all is why the sides of the texture become more green when in game. I imagine it's got something to do with game code but I'm not sure what I'd do about that. So if anyone knows if there's something I could do about it I'd appreciate it.

There's still a bit left to do, like making the tree a darker shade to fit more in, and some general polish. (Mostly on the ledge texture that you can't see, it doesn't fit perfectly with the walkway. But that texture also seems to be rendered in a pretty funky manner so we'll see how that pans out.

EDIT: Replaced a link that might not have worked. (At least on my end.)

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
So I've been working on my first texture hack, and this is what I've got so far.

So far I'm fairly happy with it. The top tree texture is horrible to work with, so I doubt I'll ever be happy with that, tried to mess with some filters in photoshop to make it look a bit more snow-covered, without me manually having to do it, because that just becomes a mess - considering the nature of how they render the top of the tree.

One thing I'm not certain about at all is why the sides of the texture become more green when in game. I imagine it's got something to do with game code but I'm not sure what I'd do about that. So if anyone knows if there's something I could do about it I'd appreciate it.

There's still a bit left to do, like making the tree a darker shade to fit more in, and some general polish. (Mostly on the ledge texture that you can't see, it doesn't fit perfectly with the walkway. But that texture also seems to be rendered in a pretty funky manner so we'll see how that pans out.

EDIT: Replaced a link that might not have worked. (At least on my end.)
There is probably a flag in the DAT that controls the shading of the textures. @zankyou might be able to help, and @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 may also be able to help.

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
There is probably a flag in the DAT that controls the shading of the textures. @zankyou might be able to help, and @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 may also be able to help.
Ah, all right. If there was any way for me to look into it myself I would. But I have no idea how I would start. And having zero experience with coding doesn't help either.

Would be fun to learn though, but it all seems pretty overwhelming.

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP

Wow. we've both been working on a very similar idea for dreamland:

GALE01-46.png

mine features dope metaknights:
GALE01-42.png

Do you mind letting me know the offset of the green leaves on top? I can't find them. I'm also unable to get textures for lower part of the stage to work correctly (I guess I can't find the palette)

Will you send me your dat so I can mess with some of those textures? I really like some of your snowy textures. I'll give you credit if I make anything!

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
@ DRGN DRGN I'll try again
Hard to say without knowing exactly what was done, but a typo in an offset with any of the textures could cause that. Best thing to do in that case would be to start with a fresh copy of the character file and try again.

I don't know of any bugs in the current version of DAT Texture Wizard (v2.2).

To make projects with multiple textures, or especially anything you'll do multiple times like a character, easier, you can use placement files, so you don't need to retype the offsets each time you bring everything into the program (reducing the chance of mistakes). You could keep a copy of all of a character's original textures in a folder, with each one with a texID in the file name (explained more in the thread if you don't know what I mean). It's a little set up, but then every time you wanted to make a new character it would be quicker and easier.

So then whenever you want to make a new skin, you just copy the textures you want to edit to a new directory, edit them, then drag-and-drop all the files (including the placements file and character dat file) into DTW. All of the offsets would already be set, so you'd just click overwrite and you're done.

Edit: And yeah, that skin is pretty cool. :)
I am sure I am not doing any mistakes when putting the offsets, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

You know what ? Here's my texture hack, in without good shadows. You'll see on his back, the shadow texture is a little bit on the left although it is identical to the base texture (just grayscale with some arrangements)

Name: Captain Respawn
Replaces: Neutral, although I'd recommend converting it to blue.
Author: antvibe8
DL: http://www.mediafire.com/download/670r3btboz3h99m/PlCaNr_(the_hack._v1).dat
NOTE: And this is important, there's a few tweaks that aren't visible on the gif, I can't make a screenshot of the final version because dolphin doesn't work on the computah I got atm.

and here's the shadow texture i'm trying to put onto it

If you succes on making it I'll litterally make a gif of me clapping you.

Oh and also, I'd like somebody to make a CSP of it, I am not home until a few days, and so, can't work on it myself. I'd be grateful.

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
Wow. we've both been working on a very similar idea for dreamland:

View attachment 53133

mine features dope metaknights:
View attachment 53134

Do you mind letting me know the offset of the green leaves on top? I can't find them. I'm also unable to get textures for lower part of the stage to work correctly (I guess I can't find the palette)

Will you send me your dat so I can mess with some of those textures? I really like some of your snowy textures. I'll give you credit if I make anything!
I really, really like your dreamland so far! It's looking pretty cool! And I was proud of what I had! Doubt I'd be able to draw some of what you've made.

The offset for the leaves on-top should be this; 00015840. I've tried injecting my stuff into an iso, but I'm stupid, and don't understand how pallete do - so most would display wrong. The screenshots were all from dolphin.

I'll pm you about the latter question!

Top Bottom