• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Kirby Matchup Thread, now discussing: LUCAS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
In which case, I'll begin

But first, is anyone doing those MU summaries anymore? Just wondering.

Anyway, the old MU was 50-50, but Diddy has found new ways to be an @$$-hat with those bananas. Still, Kirby can gimp him, and being in the air really makes bananas worthless, and by swallowing, we either can copy the Peanut Popgun, which can hassle him while recovering, OR footstool him out of the escape.

As for kill power, they go pretty even. His F-smash lacks the range ours does, and even if they stutter-step it (should we be doing that too?) it still has even range, at best.

The D-smash punishes us like nobody's business, and can also kill, though his recovery either sends him on a predictable path (side-b), or holds him temporarily (up-b). Not too sure what the priority on the D-air will allow us to do, but the B-air really hassles him off the stage. U-Tilt can juggle at lower %'s, but his fast D-air or Up-B can spike/meteor us.

I still say it's 50-50, though the difficulty increased on both ends.

Discuss

I think it's 50:50

Since Kirby is more of an aerial oriented character, he'll be staying on the air for a long time so that makes Diddy needs to struggle since his ground game won't work well against Kirby at the same time, his bananas are generally used on ground. What Diddy can do to us is possibly punishing our landing so he can start his banana game but we can copy his ability and use peanut popgun.

That's all from what I have

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Here is what I say about anyone playing against Diddy. Instant throw his nana's off the stage. then play normally.

ShockisBack

Smash Rookie
because of the delay in diddy's up B, stone is a useful counter. also, Final Cutter will trade hits with the up B, except diddy will recieve the spike from FC and kirby will be hit back towards the stage. i'm not sure how useful kirby's dair would be.

sai_:)

Smash Ace
well take advantage of the fact that your f-smash kills him at a pretty nice percentage.

and generally floating in the air (as a kirby should) slows diddy down pretty hard.

he's really easy to gimp as is and Kirby has a decent array of tools with which to do so. (Bair especially)

It shouldnt be a terribly hard match up for kirby. But be sure not to stale your f-smash ( no clue why you would) or you could get stuck kill fishing with it at higher percents, and its really predictable. If a Diddy starts reading you ****s gonna get REALLY bad for kirby (or any character for that matter)

rvkevin

Smash Lord
It shouldnt be a terribly hard match up for kirby. But be sure not to stale your f-smash ( no clue why you would) or you could get stuck kill fishing with it at higher percents, and its really predictable.
This. Don't get greedy for kills, as you will be punished for each miss.

*XLR8*

Smash Rookie
idk to me its a pretty even match up all u really gotta do is either get rid of the bannas as fast as possible. or just use it against them. lol see i main kirby and second diddy. now if u use the bannanas against them, it slows them down almost entirley due to the fact that the diddys would expect u to throw the bannas off instead of use it against them. whatever the diddys can do to u, you can do it right back to them just keep that in mind

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Last time I checked, I couldn't glide toss, better yet glide toss -> glide toss -> grab/dsmash.

I throw them directly behind me but not off the stage to force the Diddy into a position in which he must "approach" (not really approaching, since he still has 1 banana and popgun) to retrieve it. At your feet works fine as well.

Throwing them AT the Diddy is dumb. If he catches it or shields it, you're back in a terrible position.

I like how people post things like "Don't get greedy for kills" and "Camp the air, that's what Kirby's supposed to do anyway" and "Don't stale Fsmash" since none of these things are even close to specific for the Diddy matchup and the second one is blatantly wrong in most matchups.

I disagree with camping the air. Kirby's aerial mobility is rofl-terrible, and the only thing camping the air will net you is peanuts in your face followed up by bananas into combos. You have about 10 billion times more control on the ground, shielding all the **** that he throws at you. I would approach this matchup like I would against most other campy characters. Be patient, approach slowly with shields (mix up with Bairs, obviously), then use your grab game to pop him up into the air. Where he can't throw **** at you.

EDIT: I like the suggestion of using Stone to gimp his recovery. Never thought to do that.

(x2) EDIT: Just because Diddy has so many more options in this matchup, combined with better maneuverability, and kill psuedo-setups (Can some Diddy illuminate us as to how to not get ***** by Glide Toss -> Dsmash?), I would call this matchup 45-55 in Diddy's favor. But I can't see it being any more than that, since our air game is for all intents and purposes better than his, and our offstage games are pretty close to each other.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
I'm gonna have to disagree on that second edit, Kirby's offstage is definitely better than Diddy's, seeing as his recovery is incredibly easy to Ninja-spike, and using rising B-airs while he buffers the jetpack is an incredibly good edgeguard if you're persistent, but this is all from personal experience, but I'm gonna hold onto the 50-50 with this one.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kirby should definitely aircamp, and force Diddy to throw his banana. Constant rising and falling, plus landing to regain your jumps should pressure the diddy into throwing his banana at you (and missing), where you can then follow up by dropping down with a bair/catching the banana as you land. Diddy has very nice aerials, but to hit you with them he's going to have to jump, and an aerial Diddy is better than a grounded Kirby, and that's when you frametrap his landings/read his banana drops and punish accordingly! If he spams peanuts while you're aircamping, then just drop down between the peanuts, recover your jumps and get back in the air. The peanuts have tons of space between them, enough for you to slip past them at will.

Our dair is beautiful against offstage diddies, as well as bairs. If you hit a Diddy with a dair while offstage, he's going to sideB>upB, so keep an eye out fot either (or both). You can dair him, grab the ledge, then ledgedrop a slow dair and Diddy's as god as dead. Hell, even a ledgedrop fastfall bair can stop his barrels easily! Lucky for us, our spike lasts for a very long time, we have lots of jumps, and are spacey so we can maintain the same aerial height for long periods of time, making it much harder for opponents to recover... and Diddy is one of those opponents.

I'll write something soon enough... Sorry if I'm inactive, no laptop = limited access.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Kirby should definitely aircamp, and force Diddy to throw his banana. Constant rising and falling, plus landing to regain your jumps should pressure the diddy into throwing his banana at you (and missing), where you can then follow up by dropping down with a bair/catching the banana as you land. Diddy has very nice aerials, but to hit you with them he's going to have to jump, and an aerial Diddy is better than a grounded Kirby, and that's when you frametrap his landings/read his banana drops and punish accordingly! If he spams peanuts while you're aircamping, then just drop down between the peanuts, recover your jumps and get back in the air. The peanuts have tons of space between them, enough for you to slip past them at will.

Our dair is beautiful against offstage diddies, as well as bairs. If you hit a Diddy with a dair while offstage, he's going to sideB>upB, so keep an eye out fot either (or both). You can dair him, grab the ledge, then ledgedrop a slow dair and Diddy's as god as dead. Hell, even a ledgedrop fastfall bair can stop his barrels easily! Lucky for us, our spike lasts for a very long time, we have lots of jumps, and are spacey so we can maintain the same aerial height for long periods of time, making it much harder for opponents to recover... and Diddy is one of those opponents.

I'll write something soon enough... Sorry if I'm inactive, no laptop = limited access.
This.

Also, you just wrote something

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
This.

Also, you just wrote something
It's just a small addition, not a write-up. :(

I've played against a couple of Diddies, and have analized how we both play during our matches to see what works and what doesn't. If I never write up anything conclusive, well blah. I wanna write up something, but I need my laptop so I can sit down on my PC for an hour without having to get up and let someone else use the PC for their homework, or check their email, or w/e, since I live in a pretty big family and we have just one desktop. :|

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
I thought we were discussing lucas not "Diddy" i think kirby vs lucas is a bad matchup to my opion i just got owned by lucas all day today -.-

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
No, we discussed Lucas a while ago, and it was pretty much flat out 55-45 Kirby (we also discussed Ness at the same time), mostly because not many of us had MU experience there, and weren't able to do better. Not much of a problem, seeing as there aren't that many viable Lucas mains.

*XLR8*

Smash Rookie
cant anybody get in contact with him and take over the thread??? oh and btw i seem to have a real hard time going up against rob lol is there a real good way to approach him???

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
cant anybody get in contact with him and take over the thread??? oh and btw i seem to have a real hard time going up against rob lol is there a real good way to approach him???
Yes. In the air, diagonally. On the ground, hit him with the tip of your ftilts/run in and shieldgrab.

Buuuut... Let's hold the discussions for when they happen.

You know what we should do? Start the exports NOW when the next person who's going to be in charge is assigned! I'm still laptop-less, but it'll give me something to do at least... And no MU Synopsis would be needed if every thread export is well organized.

Heck, where's bunny? I haven't seen her post ANYWHERE in SWF for so long... If we need another mod, then we should start deciding on who the mod should be, so that we can take care of needs we can only fix with mods (like the passing of threads to other people!).

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Export threads is what I wanted to start for a long time, even some people came to this thread and said we need an export for match up's. Anyways, this match up thread is pretty much outdated now, due to the first post not being updated/nothing's on the first post.

Hate to say, and really hate to say, but a new mod is needed, (still don't like mods). ._.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It'd be a better idea if we came up with what we wanted ourselves, then ask the admins to appoint the new mod. So, what we need:

*A mod for the Kirby boards
*Someone to update Kirby tourney results
*Someone to take care of MU discussions

We, as the Kirby community, should all find out who should (and wantsto) take care of the previous responsibilities.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
I doubt they'd let me be a mod, so that's cut off.

I have no idea how to keep up with tourneys, so nix that one, too.

I could probably run a MU thread, seeing the time I spend around here, though I could only do most of the write-ups on weekends unless I write it during class.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You know, I personally don't think we have to do write-ups... We end up cutting off a lot of the detailed info just to make it all "tl;dr" versions... All we need are exports, and a main thread to link all of the exports to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom