• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official For Glory / Online Features Discussion (/・ω・)/

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Wait are we not going to be able to play on the flat versions of other stages in glory mode? D:
We are, but other stages with platforms could still be potentially viable, so it's just unfortunate to have to stick to one layout.

ecylisis

Smash Apprentice
Literally laughed out loud at no items Final Destination only.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully we can mix and match with friends and i hope we can set up tournament rooms, i would like to turn all items off but use the sham bawl on not final destination stages.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
#PlayWithYourFriendsAndMakeYourOwnRules

At least Sakurai bothered to make a really fair mode for online matches.
This sounds good on paper but trust me this is NOT a good idea, games that have this sort of feature usually have dead online or take forever to find a match. It takes forever to find matches, they're so many options that finding specific players won't yield the same results, you could 1v1 3-stock a huge noob when you want a good player. For Glory puts this all together and add the matchmaking for these reasons.

Also Jack Keiser is 100% correct, thank god there's at least one sane person here. By the way, 4chan's FD "meme" is just supposed to be ironic, not serious. Also, Sakurai mentions you can play on FD-form stages anyway, not specifically just FD.

Wait are we not going to be able to play on the flat versions of other stages in glory mode? D:
You can, that list was a bit vague.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Hopefully we can mix and match with friends and i hope we can set up tournament rooms, i would like to turn all items off but use the sham bawl on not final destination stages.
He said we have full options with friends, it's just the For Glory mode that is locked one way or the other.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
Literally laughed out loud at no items Final Destination only.
I wanted to, also. I wanted to... :\

Guys my main concern about this FD only is it will only feed into the stereotype, and have more smashers generally BELIEVE that FD is the most balanced stage and the only way to play. You're on all smash boards, you care about the game more than that, but this game will sell tens of millions. FD being seen as the only competitive way to play smash will only pull our scene backwards.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I wanted to, also. I wanted to... :\

Guys my main concern about this FD only is it will only feed into the stereotype, and have more smashers generally BELIEVE that FD is the most balanced stage and the only way to play. You're on all smash boards, you care about the game more than that, but this game will sell tens of millions. FD being seen as the only competitive way to play smash will only pull our scene backwards.
I'm not as worried. If people get interested in playing more competitively, they will inevitably find their way here and realize that FD is not in fact the only viable stage. But I mean, the stage list is sort of a tricky thing to develop in the first place, so I can't say I blame Sakurai for going the easy route and only allowing the one stage that NO ONE could contend.

Last edited:

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
A way, way bigger problem than FD-only vs. BF-styled stages or others is that right now, it seems like it's time-only. Who even plays time? Every last person I know, casual or not, plays stock, and it would be a damn shame if random online matchmaking were restricted to time-only, especially at the default 2 minutes likely leading to sudden death 80% of the time if players are evenly matched.

Be that as it may though, a matchmaking service for maps that had no stage hazards would be fine by me. Limiting it to FD only is dumb.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I'm wondering if we'll be able to pick which stage we use in For Glory. They're not exactly the same. For example wall jumping looks to be easier in the Gakaxy stage then in Final Destination.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
He didn't even mention if this would include the ability to explicitly choose stock matches and/or 1v1's, I'd say those are bigger deals. I would hate to be stuck playing FFAs in "competitive mode"

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
I would still like to play with backgrounds but it isn't too hard to post on miiverse and add for some matches with your own rules i'm happy we got a mode for people without items.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Although I've preferred battlefield for a long time now, I'm not sure if that's just because the final destination in Brawl had that f$#@#@ up ledge that characters could get stuck under so easily.
Also there is a slight differentiation in each final destination style stage. Some are floating islands that characters like Jigglypuff could fly under from one side to the other, and others go below the lower blast zone preventing you from getting beneath them. I was really hoping for some platforms but more importantly, I hope that we can use stock. Its universally agreed that stock is the better mode. I can understand them not wanting people to waste precious server space by having a taunt party forever, but I mean cant they also add a time limit to stock?
3-5 stock, 5-10 minutes.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
The truly "fun" things about "For Fun" are banable offenses.

For Glory it is.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Lots of tidbits revealed today, which all deserved to be discussed, but probably don't need separate threads for all of them.

Among other reveals (specifically for the WiiU version)
1. Online rankings
2. Matchmaking based upon those rankings
3. A fun mode and "try hard" (For Glory) mode.
4. No longer "anonymous" when playing without friends.
5. User management/abuse systems (temporary banning and whatnot).

And of course any other speculation/discussion on online play.

Merged/made a new thread that'll pertain to all online feature discussion. AND NOW STICKIED!

Last edited:

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
are you people ever pleased honestly i'm interested to know
Excuse me?

is it unreasonable to request that we get more than FD for 1v1 play? He should also put battlefield in there and everything would be fine. All he has to do is literally just put some platforms on some of the FD stages, could probably be done in 1 hour. Its such a small request that would have a huge impact for competitive online play, are you actually trying to tell me that there is something wrong with that?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I was talking with Thinkaman about "For Glory", and he pointed out something smart that I hadn't caught and no one else seems to have either. All of these modes are time matches and hence not really competitive play anyway. "For Glory" is just a quickmatch feature for if you want to get some quick gameplay in; it shouldn't be interpreted as real competitive online which will have to be done through friend exchanges anyway. I don't like FD only either, but I don't think it actually matters given that this mode is not competitive play in the first place.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
Glory mode sounds like a great addition, and it's good their finally acknowledging the competitive side of smash! However, Sakurai is either mocking us or walked right into a stereo type. That is how we only play on Final Destination. Not only do we love platforms, having no platforms gimps a lot of characters, and frankly FD only gets boring.
If so, I'm glad that he did. By mocking us, he gave us exactly what we wanted.

Honestly though, I don't think he's mocking us. If I despised people and did everything in my power to make fun of them and force them to change their ways, I wouldn't give them what they want in my game. I think Sakurai just finally acknowledged the competitive community after hearing constant complaints about Brawl when comparing it to Melee, and hearing of Project M (Assuming he has) and is willing to give us what we want to an extent.

Sakurai has said that Smash is a party game, but more importantly, he wants everyone to play how they want to.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Seriously people are complaining about this? Would you rather a mode where every stage has the Yellow Devil appear? And the whole "it only ads to the "Fox only" stereotype is complete BS, you might as well say that about the mode having no items.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Does everyone realize this mode is just for practice/ honing your skills? You all realize that it isn't the mode by which all tournaments must be conducted? Listen, I agree, it should have FD *and* BF, it really should, and should simply alternate between the two. But this idea that matching players up online based on skill level and having no-items, competitive stage(s) is not only *not* Sakurai catering to us in ways we only dreamed of, but is somehow some sort of belligerent insult to us? As if he spat in our faces? How much crack have you people been smoking?

I agree we should contact him with requests for Battle Field, and believe we should absolutely only request battlefield. Given the purpose of this mode, there is no reason to send him the convoluted itinerary list of criteria that must be met for a stage to be 'competitive' and demand all of these be included in FG mode. Come on, we can't even come to an agreement on this matter ourselves and it's been 15 years. The mode is simple, stipped-down, pick up and practice against other players to *prepare* for actual tournaments. FD, BF, and optional 1v1, that's all it needs to be, all we should want, and all we should ask for. If we ask for too much, he'll ignore us.

We're not directing and creating this video game, he is, show some respect. He went out of his way on several accounts to cater to competitive players, and it's been nothing but piss and moan. He doesn't have to do anything for us what-so-ever, he could have long since went full 'Mario Party' on this series, but hasn't. If I remember correctly, aggregate reviews on the games have Brawl as the highest rated of the three, and has the greatest amount of sales. What does that tell you? The global gaming community and media aren't judging these games on the same standards we are, and despite that, Sakurai has continued to enable and foster tournament-rich conditions and mechanics into the series. We're lucky we even *so much* as got Melee. If it weren't for the integrity and respect for the competitive elements of the series Sakurai has, if he cared only about pushing units and lazy, chump production, we would have "Super Smash Party" for the gamecube, a new title every year or two, and it would never have went back. Be thankful.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
The official hashtag is now #ForGlory
As Overtaken said, we REALLY appreciate this mode, and want it to be viable option to practice for tournaments! Battlefield is our target, but simply put we do like platforms.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Love what he did with online. This guy will always be one of my favorite video game creators

Last edited:

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Leave it to the competitive community to find something to complain about when Nintendo finally caters to the competitive community.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
"Sakurai, your burger joint is a goddamn disgrace. We have been patiently asking for you to serve up some chicken sandwiches, but you have failed to do so at every turn. It has become painfully clear that you are anti-chicken and I find this personally insulting. When are you going to realize how many people are demanding some chicken options and actually deliver on what your fans want?"

"Here, I have added a new chicken sandwich item to the menu! I hope you enjoy!"

"...Excuse me, is that Ciabatta bread you are using? Why don't you just piss on my face while you are at it?"

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I don't think its fair to say that the For Glory mode is appeasing the competitive players of the game. Its appeasing the ONLINE COMMUNITY of BRAWL which has persisted under a culture/style that the new features of the online mode comply with. It's the online gamers who've always preferred Final Destination due to its lack of features that can get in the way of your timing in online play (even platforms get in the way in these situations). Furthermore while it has 1v1 features, it still seems to be TIMED MATCHES ONLY, which is at a complete contrast to how competitive players have always played the game.

Also this thread shouldn't devolve into "competitive players are never happy, lol". Because realistically, competitive play will never be 'perfect' and is by default under constant scrutiny. Welcome to smashboards, we're always going to debate the competitive merit and value of each thing.

Last edited:

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
^I don't know why people have this "take what you get and be happy with it" mentality. People keep saying we we got what we were asking for, that's FALSE. Also, is it better than nothing? Hell yes! But do we settle for it being better than nothing? ...

You guys realize how long we wait for a smash game, and that we're hoping this can be the best one yet? I don't get why people think we don't have a right to complain, most of us competitive smashers are buying the 3ds & Wii U version, meaning we have bought or will buy a Wii U & 3ds.. furthermore, we are the crowd that still play these games today (Melee, PM, Brawl, and the brave 64 players)

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
People seem to forget you can add friends (especially aided by seeing their "gamertag"s) and subsequently play any stage/mode/any settings with them.

Jem.

Smash Master
I wish that..

Rankings were visible

More balanced stages were added to "For Glory" mode.

That you can use stocks on "For Glory" mode (It sounds like you can only play with time)

I still think someone like Warcraft 3's daily/bi-daily free tournaments would be hyped. Definitely my favorite part of the old battlenet system.

Smash Run looks fun :] It reminds me of the Zelda stage in Melee's Adventure mode, but bigger and more diverse.

There's really only one point of confusion for me: do the upgrades you find in Smash Run only last for one battle? If so, I think it would be odd scouring for power-ups for five minutes, just to battle with them for two minutes.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am just going to throw this out that any type of attacking or flaming a particular community, be it competitive or casual, is not going to fly here. Purposefully making comments to incite comments from either side will not be tolerated as well as targeting certain individuals just get a rise out of them. If you feel you have the need to make a comment about a particular community, do it in a polite and no-offensive manner. That also goes both ways - be civil with your answers and don't lash out needlessly. Failing to comply will result in warnings and infractions.

#whycan'twealljustgetalong

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
^Thank you. The 'casuals' (I say this term VERY loosely now) were firing hard.

Anyway, since this thread is merged now, I'll get some info edited in the first post. Also, though I may be competitive at heart, the mode i'm looking the most forward to is Smash run on 3ds <3

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
"Sakurai, your burger joint is a goddamn disgrace. We have been patiently asking for you to serve up some chicken sandwiches, but you have failed to do so at every turn. It has become painfully clear that you are anti-chicken and I find this personally insulting. When are you going to realize how many people are demanding some chicken options and actually deliver on what your fans want?"

"Here, I have added a new chicken sandwich item to the menu! I hope you enjoy!"

"...Excuse me, is that Ciabatta bread you are using? Why don't you just piss on my face while you are at it?"
Lol. This would make sense if

1.) He has already served chicken sandwiches in the past but suddenly took them off the menu to focus only on burgers.

2.) The issue was not with the kind of bread, but the fact that there was only a bun on one side and not the other.

Top Bottom