• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official For Glory / Online Features Discussion (/・ω・)/

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
As far as I'm concerned, I'd say just wait and try the mode out for a change, and then judge. I mean the game's coming out in Summer for the 3DS, so it's only months away from our grasp, right, provided that it'll be in the 3ds.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Smash Run looks fun :] It reminds me of the Zelda stage in Melee's Adventure mode, but bigger and more diverse.

There's really only one point of confusion for me: do the upgrades you find in Smash Run only last for one battle? If so, I think it would be odd scouring for power-ups for five minutes, just to battle with them for two minutes.
The events in Kirby Air Ride's City Trial could last anywhere from two minutes to about thirty seconds.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Lots of tidbits revealed today, which all deserved to be discussed, but probably don't need separate threads for all of them.

Among other reveals (specifically for the WiiU version)
1. Online rankings
2. Matchmaking based upon those rankings
hmm? That's not what I heard.
Matchmaking was called "skill based" but they left unclear how it works.
Then there are the rankings, which are just for fun as they include single player achievements.

Btw
it's funny to see people complaining about FD only when it's actually a lot of stages "like FD". Yes, of course I would've preferred a couple of platforms in some but I'll live with it as I can still do that with my friends.

So, I'm definitely way more concerned about the fact that stocks were not confirmed for the For Glory matches. The biggest issue is that it's Sakurai who has to decide if it's 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 3 stocks or whatever. He can't let people pick a thing in an open online mode...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just a note, I'm sure Sakurai ment that the skill-based match-making was so you wouldn't get paired with complete noobs and that it was a background thing.

That's what it sounded like to me, anyway. Anybody notice the nooby Marth when he was talking about it? SPAMBSPAMB*knocked off*SPAMBSPA*KOed*

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but the only way to actually make the ranking is to check the Win - Losses rate of people playing For Glory. I don't see other options.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
"Sakurai, your burger joint is a goddamn disgrace. We have been patiently asking for you to serve up some chicken sandwiches, but you have failed to do so at every turn. It has become painfully clear that you are anti-chicken and I find this personally insulting. When are you going to realize how many people are demanding some chicken options and actually deliver on what your fans want?"

"Here, I have added a new chicken sandwich item to the menu! I hope you enjoy!"

"...Excuse me, is that Ciabatta bread you are using? Why don't you just piss on my face while you are at it?"
This is the best comment I have read in a long time.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Well, if they could atleast include battlefield too I'd be happy. Would be great if he did the same with battlefield as with FD. One version for almost every stage. In all honesty I think BF is more of "THE" competetive Smash stage than FD.

Too every one suporting the twitter thing, make sure to give Nintendo some credd while your at it. Get some possitivity in there, so they are more likely to take this to heart. I think we should show that we appreciate that they are atleast trying to (finally!) do something for us at the competetive side of things. It might be a small step, but I think its a huge step for Nintendo (and absolutely not an insult to us as some try to claim -_-) and its nice to see. Also be sure to tag both nintendoofamerica and sakurai himself!

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly, the platformless stages are all different enough. Who knows if the platform game is going to be the same for the same characters this time around.

I'm pretty excited for "For Glory" mode, anyway. Just because 1v1 and no items with anyone = success. The specifics of stage viability versus character strengths/matchups can all come later for all I care.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Warning Received
Smash fans are the most entitled little brats sometimes. "Sakurai does everything he can to aggravate this very community". Do you really believe that?

How dare he try to incorporate a mode that's more competitive! It's not exactly like we imagined, so therefore he is a jerk, and is trying to control us and tell us how to play.

Come on people. Sure, it's not perfect, and it'd be cool if some of the stages in For Glory had platforms. And I support the idea of appealing that via twitter. But there's no reason for your vitrolic statements towards a guy who just enjoys making video games, and tries to add things that he believes are fun, and thinks the fans will enjoy.

I'm just grateful that he's making changes to the online, and is attempting to add features and make sure Smash Bros doesn't become stale. It would suck if this was just Melee 2.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Smash fans are the most entitled little brats sometimes. "Sakurai does everything he can to aggravate this very community". Do you really believe that?

How dare he try to incorporate a mode that's more competitive! It's not exactly like we imagined, so therefore he is a jerk, and is trying to control us and tell us how to play.

Come on people. Sure, it's not perfect, and it'd be cool if some of the stages in For Glory had platforms. And I support the idea of appealing that via twitter. But there's no reason for your vitrolic statements towards a guy who just enjoys making video games, and tries to add things that he believes are fun, and thinks the fans will enjoy.

I'm just grateful that he's making changes to the online, and is attempting to add features and make sure Smash Bros doesn't become stale. It would suck if this was just Melee 2.
Yeah. Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed people are acting that way. He's just trying to make the game fun for everyone, and isn't going to be able to get every detail 100% correct about the competitive scene while he's trying to focus on everything else.

Did everyone honestly expect Battlefield variants of all stages? The FD ones are alot simpler, and I'm glad we at least get that. Wily's Castle seems like an awesome competitive stage (the FD version anyway.) and I'm looking forward to hearing Mega Man music in tournaments. I mean holy ****!

That said, it's perfectly reasonable to be able to discuss why every stage being FD isn't the greatest competitive move (this isn't directed at you, Slick) but being upset at Sakurai for trying to appeal to us isn't the right way to go about it. Besides, if you want platforms, Battlefield and Town & City, plus potential other stages are literally right there. Now you just have quite a few more stages to test the legality of.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so notice how he has rules about how anyone can report stuff if something goes wrong like targeting an individual player? Well there was also a rule if the opponent is "cheating". Well what defines cheating in the eyes of the smash staff? Obviously hacking, but what about game mechanics that people use competitively? Take Wavedashing in melee and dacusing in brawl, and snaking in MKds. Would someone get banned for using unintentional game mechanics? Would they be "cheaters"? The important thing is that it has to be a player reporting this, so if the community accepts this as a thing, there won't be an issue. However, as TV tropes has stated, we are a broken fanbase; divided between the people who play for fun and the people who play for glory, so people will be reporting stuff like this all the time for the first year. Has anyone else considered this?

K.Louis

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0421-0500
The online reporting sounded like a really slippery slope to me too. It's probably going to turn into a scrub whine fest (not that the ban criteria isn't dictionary perfect scrub material anyways) and the only way to really enforce it is to look at replays so I really doubt they'll be strongly enforcing this a year or two in. It's probably best to stick to Glory mode and Smashboards/FB/Reddit for players anyways.

I don't think there's anything in any Smash game that's be ban worthy to do other than the Metaknight infinite stalling glitch and the Mewtwo game freeze glitch. Wavedashing was found by Sakurai and DACUS are pre-programmed IASA frames and most AT's are likewise developer intended but metagame expanded.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Pretty sure that's where the 'baseless reports' comes into play. If a mechanic was unintentional, then sakurai would be wise to consider patching it to avoid all of the conflict and drama.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Exactly what Xermo said.

If it's at all supposed to be intentional, I'm sure the reports against them will go unpunished.

That makes me worry more about whether or not Nintendo/Sakurai's team will be detailed in explaining why a report was considered "baseless" before punishing a player who simply didn't know.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't think using minor glitches would count. The DACUS isn't game changing, and most casual players wouldn't even notice you did one. Obviously things like the IDC and freeze glitches will be against the rules, but I'd be careful with Wavedashing level stuff until there's an official word.

210stuna

Smash Lord
I don't mean to start a riot here, but things like this never made sense to me.

The whole "reporting" thing online. It can be Smash Bros, Facebook, or Smashboards, if someone is insulting or disrespecting you over something over the web just block them and get off for awhile. There's no reason to throw a hissy fit and complain about it.

It's only when people let things get under their skin or let it get personal that they fail to realize they have the power to get out of the situation.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I don't mean to start a riot here, but things like this never made sense to me.

The whole "reporting" thing online. It can be Smash Bros, Facebook, or Smashboards, if someone is insulting or disrespecting you over something over the web just block them and get off for awhile. There's no reason to throw a hissy fit and complain about it.

It's only when people let things get under their skin or let it get personal that they fail to realize they have the power to get out of the situation.
It's not about the fact that it personally offended the person reporting so much as it is about the fact that the people behind the community want to maintain a certain type of environment.

It's not "throwing a hissy fit" to want to rid the community of disrespect that we'd be better off without. Someone shouldn't have to remove themselves from something they enjoy because of the crappy actions of others.

Last edited:

210stuna

Smash Lord
If you don't adapt, then they will just remove it and move the game back.
This is essentially how the metagame evolves. Things that are 'ground breaking' or glitchy like a wave dash shouldn't be removed from Smash 4, because someone thinks the one doing it is "cheating"

I understand stuff like that in Melee and Brawl's DACUS where included in the game with the developers knowledge, but because it was never included in the "How to Play" video, the casual vs competitive scene will just widen with no intent to merge together.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think the guidelines are merely stating that you should avoid doing actions that would award you the following bonuses in Melee...

*Predator
*Stalker
*Bully
*Opportunist
*Spectator

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
The DACUS isn't game changing, and most casual players wouldn't even notice you did one.
I'm pretty sure everyone on the face of the Earth would notice that Snake just slid 30 yards while holding out a mortar.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
For Glory mode is awesome and all, but I don't think Sakurai understands that Final Destination isn't the only competitive stage. I think an easy way to fix it is to give each of the "Final Destinationized" stages some platforms that are unique from the rest. They don't have to be the same as battlefield though, with the triangle platforms.
  • Varying the amount of platforms.
  • Tweaking the angles of some platforms.
  • Change the size of the platforms.
If the "Final Destinationized" stages had different unique arrangements of platforms, it would be like adding a half a dozen extra competitive stages. It also wouldn't cost that much time and effort because they already have the stage, they just need to add some platforms. If Sakurai adds all of these to the "For Glory" stage playlist, it would be great for everyone and make the game have more variety.

He needs to know!

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
But.. then it wouldn't be Final Destination.

If you want platforms you could always just play the normal versions in For Fun mode.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
But.. then it wouldn't be Final Destination.

If you want platforms you could always just play the normal versions in For Fun mode.
What i'm saying is that if Sakurai just added some platforms to each stage that is "Final Destinationized" we would have like 8 more stages that would be playable in competitive.

I'm not saying they all should be Battlefield, but different platforms sizes and angles to make each feel different. More competitive stages is always good, and Sakurai can do it with a smaller amount of effort by just copy and pasting platforms.

Last edited:
You have a point. Some characters accel at the neutral game while many function better wity platforms. Having an all FD meta game is just giving an advantage to zoning characters.

There should also be a battlefield alternative. Luckily the game is still in development and these things can change.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
You have a point. Some characters accel at the neutral game while many function better wity platforms. Having an all FD meta game is just giving an advantage to zoning characters.

There should also be a battlefield alternative. Luckily the game is still in development and these things can change.
Adding different arrangement of platforms, like differing sizes, amount, and angles for each stage would be like adding more competitive stages for less effort than making new stages. Putting these stages into the competitive "For Glory" mode would be amazing!

liLZoOlu

Smash Rookie
Don't want to get all shooter aka COD like in here...
But I think it would be cool to have intense stat tracking like: most used characters, win percentage, kd ratio idk..
Just throwing it up in the air

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Isn't there a Twitter campaign happening for this?
I think D1 is saying to retweet something of his, I already did. However it was just to adding stages that had platforms, not changing the final destination stages to have platforms.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm fine if the only modified stages are Final Destinations.
The only change that I really think is necessary would be to at least have Battlefield versions of each stage.

Last edited:

ReddMudkipz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ReddMudkipz
3DS FC
2079-6699-7855
What about blast zones? I think they should have a mode, or change For Glory, where you can choose any stage.

Shel

Smash Cadet
Did you guys already notice when you K.O. an opponent your character has a dbz energy flash?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Don't want to get all shooter aka COD like in here...
But I think it would be cool to have intense stat tracking like: most used characters, win percentage, kd ratio idk..
Just throwing it up in the air
They already have stuff like that in the data section. An extension of it for online would be neat, but I'd imagine only For Glory matches would count towards it.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
I've been told that Japan HEAVILY favors Final Destination [which is why their meta is usually different]. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Still gonna enjoy FG mode, but until then, still gonna campaign to have it tweaked =]

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I can't wait to dunk some scrubs in For Glory. Sakurai says 1v1 battles are possible, but are we actually able to choose between FFA or 1v1? He never said so, and well, in Brawl's Basic Brawl, 1v1's were possible, just rare. :/ I hope we can choose, is all.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The matchmaking will be sweet... let's say that there's a 1000 GSP (Global Smash Power) range on the match up. That would give me 1000 players to eventually face.

Top Bottom