• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

COOPER

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all the advice, I've since spoken with a friend who knows more about it than I do. He says I can cut the cord and solder a new one on.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Alternating Grab+Hit is a infinite 2v1 correct? But I think it's character specific because when some characters mash out of grab they pop up in the air. Anyone know which characters pop up and which don't?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
the grab hit infinite is not character specific. It actually leaves no frames where the grab length decays.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
the grab hit infinite is not character specific. It actually leaves no frames where the grab length decays.
Ah, I'm talking about like;
Grab Hit Hit Hit release, teammate Grabs Hit Hit Hit, release, etc.

Every time I try the Grab/Jab team infinite my teammate gets knocked away like I fsmashed him. o.O

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
i'll let someone else respond because i'm too tired to explain shiz
Then why bother posting?

i don't see why that wouldn't work, f8

it's just a yes or no question lol, takes a few seconds if you know the answer
My question was not yes or no, my question was which characters pop up in the air when they mash out of grab? :]

Edit: I suppose this would be easy to test, so if someone doesn't have like a list or know off the top of their heads, I could just go start up the cube.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
why would you grab release?
I guess I'm not explaining it good enough. I'll try again.
Fox and CF vs Peach
Fox grabs
Fox hits during the grab
Peach mashes out
CF is waiting, and grabs Peach
CF hits during the grab
Peach mashes out
Repeat

Better?

Pi

Smash Hero
whether or not they jump release, or ground release is dependent on something...
I can't remember if it's whether or not they break out of while being hit,
or if it's whether or not they are on the ground or in the air when they break out
or if they are holding/pressing jump on or around the frame they break out

I'm leaning more toward the last one

X1-12

Smash Champion
I guess I'm not explaining it good enough. I'll try again.
Fox and CF vs Peach
Fox grabs
Fox hits during the grab
Peach mashes out
CF is waiting, and grabs Peach
CF hits during the grab
Peach mashes out
Repeat

Better?

Why not, Grab and pummel, whilst the other player just does rapid jab?

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
if it's whether or not they are on the ground or in the air when they break out
or if they are holding/pressing jump on or around the frame they break out

I'm leaning more toward the last one
Ah that sounds a lot more reasonable than character dependency. I guess I'll have to go test myself.

Edit: Yeah, you were right. Falcon holding up air released, pressing nothing ground released. Thanks a ton.

Why not, Grab and pummel, whilst the other player just does rapid jab?
Maybe it's just me being bad but the very few times I've tried it, I failed. Like I said a few times above, I end up mis-spacing/timing/something the jabs and the victim gets knocked free. >< idk. Maybe I tap my teammate or something.

And thank you, 'pummel' is the word I was racking my brain for, but couldn't find. T_T

Edit: Also, some characters don't have a Rapid Jab (Puff), if that's what you're referring to.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
don't know if this is the right place.. but this question just popped into my head a few minutes ago..

.. What causes a reversal?
Is there just some midpoint to every hitbox and when the characters hurtbox touches the left half of the hitbox they go to the left, and when they touch the right side they go to the right?

can every move reversal?

mers

Smash Ace
don't know if this is the right place.. but this question just popped into my head a few minutes ago..

.. What causes a reversal?
Is there just some midpoint to every hitbox and when the characters hurtbox touches the left half of the hitbox they go to the left, and when they touch the right side they go to the right?

can every move reversal?
I believe so, yes. When the back edge of a hitbox and hurtbox collide, the move reverses. I guess the developers put it in because otherwise some pretty weird-looking **** would happen. I just imagine Samus's fsmash or something pulling characters through her body when she hit with the back end.

Or Falco's bair. Hitting with the front edge of that would look super weird if it still sent characters behind him.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Can you use ASDI during hitlag?

I want to start trying to use SDI more often, but I was thinking about using the C-stick for ASDI in case I time my SDI too late. If you can't ASDI during hitlag, I guess that shouldn't be a problem though.

Random pseudo-related question: I know you can't SDI throws (excluding Jigg's fthrow), so does that mean throws don't have hitlag, only hitstun?

Thanks to anyone can help me out. :awesome:

mers

Smash Ace

I want to start trying to use SDI more often, but I was thinking about using the C-stick for ASDI in case I time my SDI too late. If you can't ASDI during hitlag, I guess that shouldn't be a problem though.

Random pseudo-related question: I know you can't SDI throws (excluding Jigg's fthrow), so does that mean throws don't have hitlag, only hitstun?

Throws do have hitlag. Try fthrowing with Falco while another character stands inside the hitbox, for example.

Pi

Smash Hero

ASDI occurs on the frame after hitlag ends, your character moves in the direction of the Cstick>Control stick is being pressed on this frame
pressing the cstick/control stick before or after the frame after will have no effect, so as long as you're holding one in the direction you want to ASDI as hitlag ends you're golden

SDI can occur on any frame during hitlag, your character will move in the direction the control stick is being pressed the frame after it's pressed.

You are correct in your thinking about throws, so is the below quote...though it may be a bit misleading.
Falco's throw animation does not have hitlag, nor do any other throws (excluding jiggs Fthrow), so no SDI/ASDI can take effect
Now falco's lasers do have hitlag, so when they hit you you can asdi/sdi those

Throws do have hitlag. Try fthrowing with Falco while another character stands inside the hitbox, for example.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=278586

Are you vulnerable on the first frame after you let go of shield? If not, how long does it take before you are?
assuming you completely release the shield button (don't go through light shield presses) you are completely vulnerable as soon as the shield button is not being pressed

does anyone know if there is a thread about stage control in teams?
probably not a thread dedicated to it, i'm sure it's been discussed
if you have some specific questions you can ask em here

Zumma

Smash Cadet
Are there any benefits for holding down L before plugging the controller in so that you can't light shield?

X1-12

Smash Champion
Can your shield get smaller or break from powershielding something? Just curious cause I saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTbyonIOQj4#t=1m55s

SS powershields PewPew's neutral B and usually when Marths land that it usually makes your shield about half the size, but SS's shield didn't seem to get smaller at all. Thanks.
No, you can powershield a fully charged one and it doesn't affect your shield when normal shield would break from it.

Bones0

Smash Legend
how exactly do you moon walk, i've tried countless times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDiQ0qJd1p4

That lays out the basics. Once you get the hang of doing a small moonwalk, the way to get larger distances is to angle your stick further and further downwards for the last dash (before rolling the stick downwards and across to the other direction).

Also note that some characters do a moonwalk with a full dash (CF, Link) while others can only moonwalk from a walking/jogging state (Fox, Falco, Marth).

S l o X

Smash Champion
Why do I suck so much and can't shorten my side-b on command?

Anyone want to give me tips or something? -__- I don't know the timing / when to do it so when I need to I spam it and hope that it works. (IN TOURNAMENT . . . this isn't a good idea)

and my fox is pretty technical so yea.

/hope someone helps.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord

Anyone want to give me tips or something? -__- I don't know the timing / when to do it so when I need to I spam it and hope that it works. (IN TOURNAMENT . . . this isn't a good idea)

/hope someone helps.
To shorten it as much as possible, you want to push B again just before you hear the "whoosh" sound. To shorten it to other lengths, you need to practice other timings to get it exact.

mers

Smash Ace

/hope someone helps.
Honestly, just keep trying for an hour and eventually it becomes ingrained into your hands. Sometimes I do it by accident when I'm not thinking now.

And make sure you don't try it with Falco while you learn it with Fox. The timing is completely different.

Pi

Smash Hero
try until you get frustrated
then take a break and try again later
you end up making more stupid mistakes/not understanding why the mistakes are happening when you're frustrated

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
try until you get frustrated
then take a break and try again later
you end up making more stupid mistakes/not understanding why the mistakes are happening when you're frustrated
i used to get so frusterated, then i realized i was using low tiers, now i use sheik,fox haha

Kanelol

Smash Lord
shortening's easy

i've found that to get the shortest possible forward B you have to hit B twice, and about as fast as you would during back to back JC shines

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I haven't heard of a case of someone learning how to play against other people via playing vs computers. Computers simply will not do anything other than walk at you and attack regardless of spacing. To learn about stage control and positioning you need to play against someone who at least somewhat adapts or realizes "hey if i go to this spot, it probably won't go well for me" on some level.

Suggestion: find players in your area and play for fun.

Top Bottom