• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Official Custom Moveset Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Explosive Balloon Trip hitbox sizes were nerfed quite a bit; excellent!
Now if people still complain about Villager planking... Well of course they will. Apparently, customs on is perceived as a slow and campy meta because Villager and Sonic seem to be the only characters that people play in customs on. And Kong Cyclone is apparently broken even though everyone can air dodge out of it.

So in what way does the hitbox nerf seem to change the move's functionality? Is it hard to hit people that are standing above the ledge now or something?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Now if people still complain about Villager planking... Well of course they will. Apparently, customs on is perceived as a slow and campy meta because Villager and Sonic seem to be the only characters that people play in customs on. And Kong Cyclone is apparently broken even though everyone can air dodge out of it.

So in what way does the hitbox nerf seem to change the move's functionality? Is it hard to hit people that are standing above the ledge now or something?
It still seems pretty good, but it does make a big difference. I was labbing it as Rosalina, and if my timing is *really* good, I can dair Villager through the balloons without being hit which was super impossible before. I know even pre-patch Shulk's dair could get through, but Shulk's dair is a ridiculous move that has a Monado level disjoint (it should actually be pretty easy for Shulk to get through now, naturally). I would not, however, be surprised if the other sword characters could now get through the balloons; it would be an interesting test.

In principle the hitbox nerf should also weaken pre-mature detonation by the Villager player, but that's something I'd need to test out in actual gameplay and not just smacking around an AI.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Explosive Balloon Trip hitbox sizes were nerfed quite a bit; excellent!
I thought it felt like I was breaking them without harm, but I couldn't be sure.

My testing suggests that Ganondorf's uair and nair were capable of popping the balloons without getting hurt. Of course, this was against a CPU who was using it above-stage-level, but still.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Shocking spin looks worthy of some evaluation now.
Air Cannon may be worth taking over the other two.
Floaty Star Bit might be at least worth a glance? Probably not though.
Dash Vision sounds very worthwhile.

Those are my guesses. Nothing that matters to my characters aside from Shulk I suppose. Melee Charge Shot still doesn't sound worth taking unless I'm against Fox/Mario.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
People will still hate the customs meta because of Mii Swordfighter's Chakram infinite. Granted, if you just don't take a Swordfighter to FD, Town and City, or Smashville it's not really much of a problem, because it requires a significant amount of flat ground for him/her to have a real chance of landing it (it's not generally all that difficult to avoid being on a large section of flat ground next to Swordfighter).

Which custom buffs do you guys see as the biggest deal going forward?
Ice Breath buff seems relevant? Or well, it might be if Kirby wasn't completely terrible thanks to increased shieldstun.

Mega Man will likely greatly appreciate the decreased endlag on Ice Slasher. That seems relevant to the gameplan of a Mega Man trying to focus on direct-damage projectiles, or to the gameplan of a Mega Man using Hyper Bomb since they lose the utility of Metal Blade as a straight-forward projectile.

Ness's Rising PK Flash should have actual KO power now due to the Base Knockback/Knockback Growth swap (I think it was a direct swap anyway), and might be easier to land.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't it be a good time, now to start listing all the Smash online Tournaments with Special Custom On in the For Glory/1on1 category?

See here the ones where the most smashboard players can participate, play, test, and send feedback so that we can keep working and improving on the Official Custom moveset, see if, with the Patch, it's okay again to unban some of the setting?

What's the closest coming one with the most players, right now?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Wouldn't it be a good time, now to start listing all the Smash online Tournaments with Special Custom On in the For Glory/1on1 category?

See here the ones where the most smashboard players can participate, play, test, and send feedback so that we can keep working and improving on the Official Custom moveset, see if, with the Patch, it's okay again to unban some of the setting?

What's the closest coming one with the most players, right now?
While obviously I'm four hours late to responding to this, this kind of play might be good to coordinate through a recurring event, and perhaps facilitated through an easy hop-in-hop-out chat client like Discord or something. If/once it's made hostable for player tournaments, it'd be really easy to just run a passworded custom-moves tournament over a weekend or evening or something just to let people get together and smash.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
If we all just participate in enough Custom Specials only online tourneys, the devs might find the demand to put that as an option for player hosted tourneys and matches. I think they implemented this new tourney mode because they saw how dominating equipment (jumping Jigglypuff stalling) was in the other Custom Glory tourneys. Perhaps they realized that lumping together Custom Specials and Custom Equipment might not have been the best idea. If they see that players agree with this (by entering these tourneys), they might just implement the option for regular lobbies as well.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I have no real ability to find these tournaments. I'd love to play in them, but I don't see how to make them myself and can't find any with custom specials only already set.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
I have no real ability to find these tournaments. I'd love to play in them, but I don't see how to make them myself and can't find any with custom specials only already set.
Some misinformation from myself, sorry about that.

No password or listing possible. The option to have just Custom Special on is only available in the pre-set Regular tourney (the one below the search and create button, with the Bracket symbol in the Yellow background).

(This picture is a bit outdated and has been tweaked since, bu it's to illustrate my point)

From what I have seen, there seems to be only one tourney in the list at the time with Custom Special on, but they also seems to have a turnover of 20 minutes. So, it's not really a problem, it's just about agreeing on a window of time and picking the available one at that moment.

But here is this.: the only one with just Special Custom seem to always have the same pre-set, and that include Object being On. I haven't seen yet a For GLory with Just Custom special On that has object turned off.

That's a problem.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I have played in a couple of For Glory tourneys with Custom Specials on. They are definitely there.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
I have played in a couple of For Glory tourneys with Custom Specials on. They are definitely there.
Was there some of them with item off? Was there some where Battlefield was also allowed?

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Was there some of them with item off? Was there some where Battlefield was also allowed?
Those that I participated in had Items off, Omega only and Mii Fighters banned with a bracket size of 8 players but 1v1 matches. Customization was set to Specials Only.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So I tried out a few tournament matches online and while custom specials no equipment is pretty fun, I was forcefully reminded of the limitations of online play:

-First one I joined, the match dropped to a connection error before the countdown even finished.
-Second one I just lost to a good Ike.
-Third one I did good in the first match but the second match had a full half second or so of input lag. Couldn't even punish Dedede's dash attack. Still salty.

That said I'm looking forward to the next patch since I think this will lead to oodles of custom data for the devs to work with.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Great, now we can hopefully get some nerfs for custom moves. But the logistics issue will always be a bigger deal against customs than balance

SwordM13X24

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sword
3DS FC
4227-4395-5715
Will some of the ol' move sets be change'd some time or we still waitin' on somethin'?
Some moves, even with out the patches and etc., were at first the "be all end all" for that slot, but now folks have figure'd out counter-plays/flaws that those moves had. Therefore the ol' sets aren't "optimal" anymore for 90% of players' choice.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Will some of the ol' move sets be change'd some time or we still waitin' on somethin'?
Some moves, even with out the patches and etc., were at first the "be all end all" for that slot, but now folks have figure'd out counter-plays/flaws that those moves had. Therefore the ol' sets aren't "optimal" anymore for 90% of players' choice.
It's basically guaranteed that if/when a new revision comes up there'll be a lot of changes. But with public opinion being a bit lukewarm vs. customs now, it may take some doing to muster up the collective effort again.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
I owe everyone an apology. I disappeared for... a while. What happened is pretty simple. School started, and it turns out the senior year of an electrical engineering degree is no joke in terms of the time commitment it demands. Somewhere in my life, I had to suddenly cut a lot of time, and smashboards was what I picked out of relatively few options (my other option was to stop actually playing the game and only do smashboards stuff which would be a very unappealing option). This ended up making me an awful steward of this project, and it would seem the national standing of custom specials has only continued to deteriorate in the meantime. Given that the latest patch has massively overhauled the viability of a variety of previously poor specials (like I have been saying all along, yes the game is being balanced around them; I doubt anyone can deny that now), the project sets now desperately need updated, and frankly I still doubt I am going to have the time to direct such a thing anytime soon. Given that I literally haven't logged into smashboards in over a month, I dunno who has even been active in the meantime and perhaps able to pick up the organizational slack. I can probably kinda help some, but the hours upon hours of reading through 50+ character boards is just not something I could in any possible way do now.

I'm really sorry for basically flaking; I feel as though I have seriously shirked responsibility here, but life caught up with me in a big way. I hope as a group we can make a set update happen even without me being able to drive like I did in the past.
Just one practical thing I thought about, but even if other people take over the project, your first post on the first page on this thread will still remain the reference. To edit it (especially after the patch note), we'll need a mode, or a new thread...

Raijinken

Smash Master
Just one practical thing I thought about, but even if other people take over the project, your first post on the first page on this thread will still remain the reference. To edit it (especially after the patch note), we'll need a mode, or a new thread...
I think mods have the ability to transfer thread ownership, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

For now we need to get some more experimentation and discussion under way.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Only Admins have that power actually.
But yes, any sort of experimentation would be beneficial.
:196:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Well yeah I guess it's about time to start the moveset discussions again on the character boards. We would have to make sure that as many people as possible are informed about the discussion going on though and I think it should be done in a pretty organized manner. I guess the best thing to do would be to give them their current list and ask them what they want to change with it instead of just discussing wildly which sets they want to have. Makes it a bit easier for the every character board to compile a complete list of movesets so that those responsible for finalizing the list won't have to do as much work if the discussions are more organized.

One thing that I'm wondering about that is relevant for those of us that are going to put the new sets on our 3DSes is: should it be okay for two movesets to switch places and such? Should we avoid making unnecessary changes or should we try to make the list as optimal as possible? A moveset's position on the list is most relevant for sets 9 and 10 as those are the ones that people can replace. Having more popular movesets in those spots might not be the best idea because of that. Also, when naming the movesets on the 3DS, should we name them completely different from the previous sets to make it easier to transfer them? For example, all the sets on my 3DS are currently named things such as "SBU3232" or "SBU1131". If I would instead name the new sets to "FOO3232" or "FOO1131" that would be some extra work, but it could be worth it to avoid confusion and such...

Raijinken

Smash Master
Well yeah I guess it's about time to start the moveset discussions again on the character boards. We would have to make sure that as many people as possible are informed about the discussion going on though and I think it should be done in a pretty organized manner. I guess the best thing to do would be to give them their current list and ask them what they want to change with it instead of just discussing wildly which sets they want to have. Makes it a bit easier for the every character board to compile a complete list of movesets so that those responsible for finalizing the list won't have to do as much work if the discussions are more organized.

One thing that I'm wondering about that is relevant for those of us that are going to put the new sets on our 3DSes is: should it be okay for two movesets to switch places and such? Should we avoid making unnecessary changes or should we try to make the list as optimal as possible? A moveset's position on the list is most relevant for sets 9 and 10 as those are the ones that people can replace. Having more popular movesets in those spots might not be the best idea because of that. Also, when naming the movesets on the 3DS, should we name them completely different from the previous sets to make it easier to transfer them? For example, all the sets on my 3DS are currently named things such as "SBU3232" or "SBU1131". If I would instead name the new sets to "FOO3232" or "FOO1131" that would be some extra work, but it could be worth it to avoid confusion and such...
If (or rather, since) order is important, I think it necessary to account for in the "release" lists. Naming is pretty optional, though.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

I personally don't care much about the order, although you raise a good point that the last few sets at least should be somehow separated from the rest for the purposes of knowing which can be most safely omitted/deleted for people to make their own if they want. I don't think having different prefixes is even worth worrying about -- the sets are in one way or another, aren't they? What does it matter if they were added in the latest revision or not? I guess it depends on how the 3DS import system works. I never had to bother, I had all my customs unlocked before the first CMP finished.

Something I've been idly tossing about in my head is the idea of building each character's sets in a way that every custom is represented at least once, somewhere. Mostly because I'm a complete sucker for variety and the like since there's really no good reason to have, say, Easy Counter on Marth/Lucina when it's entire purpose is to be a set of training wheels. Or the mere existence of Heavenly Light. (Which IMO would be a much better move if the AOE were shrunk a bit but stayed in place for ~5 seconds while Palutena could move around freely.) I guess that could be amended to "all not-literally-worthless" specials.

Given that there's no real time pressure like there was with EVO, I think it would be for the best if we took it slow.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I personally don't care much about the order, although you raise a good point that the last few sets at least should be somehow separated from the rest for the purposes of knowing which can be most safely omitted/deleted for people to make their own if they want. I don't think having different prefixes is even worth worrying about -- the sets are in one way or another, aren't they? What does it matter if they were added in the latest revision or not? I guess it depends on how the 3DS import system works. I never had to bother, I had all my customs unlocked before the first CMP finished.

Something I've been idly tossing about in my head is the idea of building each character's sets in a way that every custom is represented at least once, somewhere. Mostly because I'm a complete sucker for variety and the like since there's really no good reason to have, say, Easy Counter on Marth/Lucina when it's entire purpose is to be a set of training wheels. Or the mere existence of Heavenly Light. (Which IMO would be a much better move if the AOE were shrunk a bit but stayed in place for ~5 seconds while Palutena could move around freely.) I guess that could be amended to "all not-literally-worthless" specials.

Given that there's no real time pressure like there was with EVO, I think it would be for the best if we took it slow.
The timing window on Easy Counter is impressively long, I could almost see it having some distant applications. Not Effortless Blade, though.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The timing window on Easy Counter is impressively long, I could almost see it having some distant applications. Not Simple Blade, though.
True, I know Shulk's Vision has a similarly huge activation window until it shrinks due to overuse.

Is Simple Blade an easy-to-use Dancing Blade custom?

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
If (or rather, since) order is important, I think it necessary to account for in the "release" lists. Naming is pretty optional, though.
Yeah, we basically want to make the process of updating the sets as painless as possible for those that want the new ones on their 3DS, but we still want the sets to be in a good order. Even though naming is optional, it's always good to give some recommendations.
I don't think having different prefixes is even worth worrying about -- the sets are in one way or another, aren't they? What does it matter if they were added in the latest revision or not?
The problem is that the list can become pretty messed up if a moveset is already on the Wii U (the transfer system isn't as smart as it should be). If this is the case, new sets can sometimes overwrite movesets that are not supposed to be overwritten while old sets that should be overwritten can be left on the console. If you change the name of every moveset however, they will count as new ones and overwrite the old sets just as they are supposed to. Basically, if you don't want to manually have to select which sets should be overwritten every time, renaming the sets is necessary.

Something I've been idly tossing about in my head is the idea of building each character's sets in a way that every custom is represented at least once, somewhere.
While I do like variety, I think the character boards should have the biggest say in this. We can encourage them to consider every move for some movesets though. Or maybe I'm just spoiled because I'm hanging around on the Kirby boards with pretty varied sets...

I completely agree. We shouldn't try to rush it, but this should probably be the thread to discuss how the project will continue and when it will be organized.

Raijinken

Smash Master
True, I know Shulk's Vision has a similarly huge activation window until it shrinks due to overuse.

Is Simple Blade an easy-to-use Dancing Blade custom?
I may be mis-naming it, but yes. Low damage, easier timing window, can only use forward (no up or down variants).

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I may be mis-naming it, but yes. Low damage, easier timing window, can only use forward (no up or down variants).
That sounds quite worthless then. (That said, I'm still not clear on how Dancing Blade should be timed for optimal results, so...yeah.)

EDIT: Turns out it's called Effortless Blade.

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
When you're updating the official presets, you absolutely want to change the name prefix on every set on your 3DS, even if some of the movesets themselves haven't changed. This ensures that all sets are re-transferred to the Wii U without fail. If you don't change names, then there's a very real chance that some of the old sets on the Wii U that you want to keep will be overwritten by new sets.

I learned this the hard way months ago. I remember seeing DunnoBro saying the same thing as well.

Last edited:

Clu

Smash Rookie
NNID
HoodieHero
Amazing job everyone! Quick question: Is it possible to transfer sets from a Wii U to another one via 3DS? Something like Wii U-3DS-Wii U, or Wii U-3DS-3DS-Wii U.
This is an amazing project! I'm really happy to see people like you attempting to work with customs, instead of just playing it safe and outright banning customs. I have mad respect for everyone involved in this project!

I truly hope that this takes off and becomes successful, as I feel like customs add a lot to this already great game. Plus, if the meta ever becomes saturated with dittos of a certain character, custom movesets can prevent these dittos from geowing stale.

I just hope that an update makes customs all unlocked from the get-go, with only equipment and mii clothes being unlockables.

Do you think I could cover this project on my Youtube channel?

pandan

Smash Rookie
Customs will never truly catch on until obtaining all of them becomes easier.
Has anyone bothered to reach out to Nintendo on the difficulty in unlocking them?

I wouldn't mind paying for DLC that unlocks all them honestly. Getting them is just too frustrating. And it's the big reason why customs still aren't mainstream in tourneys.
EDIT: phone auto correct

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Customs will never truly catch on until obtaining all of them becomes easier.
Has anyone bothered to reach out to Nintendo on the difficulty in unlocking them?

I wouldn't mind paying for DLC that unlocks all them honestly. Getting them is just too frustrating. And it's the big reason why customs still aren't mainstream in tourneys.
EDIT: phone auto correct
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Sakurai shooting himself in the foot with this awesome feature

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Shocking spin looks worthy of some evaluation now.
It doesn't. It gimps Link's recovery for a move that does lots of damage and kills.

Link has issues, but racking damage and killing isn't two of them. Most of his tilts kill. Why gimp recovery for something he already has?

If a grounded up-B gave him a fast safe attack, I'd take that regardless of the drawbacks. 'Cause his jab is tied for slowest in the game and the rest of his moves follow suit.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It doesn't. It gimps Link's recovery for a move that does lots of damage and kills.

Link has issues, but racking damage and killing isn't two of them. Most of his tilts kill. Why gimp recovery for something he already has?

If a grounded up-B gave him a fast safe attack, I'd take that regardless of the drawbacks. 'Cause his jab is tied for slowest in the game and the rest of his moves follow suit.
Sometimes it's better to stack strengths than to worry about weaknesses though. Link always has to justify why he's being used over Toon Link, and great kill power is a great argument. Shocking Spin is 3f slower and does cut your survivability somewhat (I think you can make a lot of recoveries with just the tether though), but the power it offers is pretty large at this point.

---

My suggested method going forward would be to start by compiling a list of characters who directly need some degree of revision. Some characters, like Jigglypuff or Little Mac, are pretty much going to be fine with what they have now, and it will be an unneeded burden to deal with those boards at all. Once you have a list of characters who need revision, go to only those boards and work there.

Off the top of my head, I know every local Mario I've talked to doesn't understand why X3X3 isn't a set (most Mario players in practice seem to like 1313, 1333, 2313, 2333 far more than every other set, and even though I see the merits in Scalding FLUDD, adding 1312, 1332, 2312, and 2332 to that would still only be 8 sets so really it's Shocking Cape sets and such that are taking space with sets very few people actually use). Pac-Mans are unhappy about not having the option of default Trampoline, and honestly the extra recovery side-B seems too compelling to just leave out especially when in practice I've never seen anyone take the custom fruits seriously (freaky would be good if freaky key didn't suck so much, and lazy is just too easy to catch). I know I have a local Shulk who really wants 2122 and has a pretty good argument for it (his case is that Shulk is 1/2, 1, 2, 2/3 with default vs decisive artes and dash vs power vision as match-up specific; hypers are fun but just don't last long enough to be practical whereas the other two have great benefits, default Back Slash is less limited than the other two, Advancing Air Slash makes Shulk way less gimpable than the other two options, and while default Vision is nearly strictly outclassed by the other two Dash vs Power is about choosing whether you want something way easier to hit with or something that kills very early). I think time has shown Ike's Paralyzing Counter is probably just not as good as default; I'd at least think it wise to revisit how many sets it takes. Floaty Star Bit on Rosalina is probably good enough now to merit dropping some unused set for 2213. The (Dark) Pits are unhappy with our sets due to leaving out Striking Flight as I recall. I dunno, there may be others; those are the ones that have stood out to me so far. We can probably get together a good list of characters needing revision, have it be a relatively small subset of all characters, and make updating far easier than it would be otherwise.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
While it's true that it's easier to only update the sets for a few characters, I think that every character board should have get a chance for new movesets. The biggest thing is that we have to make sure that as many people as possible know about the discussions so that we won't have the same problem as last time. The idea was to update the list two times per year and I think we should stick to that for every character. We could just have more people than last time that are each responsible for a couple of character boards to make sure that no one has super much work to do. The boards for the characters that don't need much revision might not even have much discussion going on and that's completely fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom