• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Code Q&A + Requests

Phase

Smash Apprentice
i know this isnt exactly the most appropriate place for this question but at the same time i think its the most appropriate for smashboard threads.

Is there software out there i can get for homebrew that will prevent my wii from trying to auto update when i get on wfc? So i can get on wfc but at the same time not update to 4.0?

patoons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Patoons
does having custom CSS cause wifi to freeze? i wouldn't see why..i freeze sometimes and have yet to find out why. i use zelda sometimes, i wonder if that has anything to do with it? anyway, this is the code i am using.

CSS fixes for Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Shiek V2 [spunit262] (6 Lines)
80693D50 38800004
06693D6C 00000008
38000000 3880000F
046900E8 60000000
04697F58 60000000
04697EEC 60000000

CSS fixes for Giga and Company V2 [spunit262] (10 Lines)
C2684940 00000002
9BB400B8 57BD06BE
2C1D001B 00000000
040AF8D4 546025B6
040AF964 546025B6
040AF830 546025B6
040AF528 546025B6
040AF810 546025B6
040AF880 546025B6
040AF848 546025B6

Yeroc's Custom CSS V3 [spunit262] [17 lines]
0668310C 00000030
387E006C 3B600000
3C808068 38840DE0
7CBB20AE 7CA50775
41800014 94A30004
3B7B0001 2C1B0032
4180FFE8 48000038
04690338 48000068
066900d8 00000008
2c170028 41820168
02680DE0 0022FFFF
06680DE0 00000029
00090D05 0C15011A
0A071325 1002240E
0F140B19 06161F03
04112108 23201B5D
5E5C2627 18171222
29000000 00000000

Custom Random V1 [spunit262] (10 Lines)
06685824 0000000C
3C608068 7C630214
88630E80 00000000
046857F0 3AE00028
06680E80 00000028
00090713 02141121
060C0D25 0A0E0F0B
19161505 03041824
011A1F08 23201B5D
5E5C1017 26271222

Almas

Smash Lord
Code:
CSS fixes for Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Shiek V2 [spunit262] (6 Lines)
04693D50 38800004
06693D6C 00000008
38000000 3880000F
046900E8 60000000
04697F58 60000000
04697EEC 60000000
Try that.

Man_With_Thooo

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so I've been trying to get Brawl+ to work on my Wii, but of course first I need the Homebrew Channel and Gecko OS. I use 4.0, so I was able to get the Homebrew Channel properly working using the Bannerbomb method. But for some reason, I can't get Gecko OS to work.

I've followed several tutorials such as (link removed) and other very similar ones, all of which involve putting the Gecko OS files in the apps folder of my SD card. I've done that, but I can't get it to work on my Wii. Whenever I insert my SD card in and run the Homebrew Channel, the Homebrew Channel appears empty.

Please help me. What am I doing wrong?

Btw, if you need to know, my SD Card is a 4GB SDHC.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Ok this is a request pertaining to the file replacement texture codes. My sd slot is broken so i can't use my sd card. However many people dont know this but gecko os 1.9 allows codes loaded from the usb port. I load brawl+ from a usb thumb drive. What i want to know is is it possible to modify the texture codes to read the files from the usb drive instead of the sd card? The wii is capable of reading info from the usb drive so i would suppose this would be a simple fix. However i really don't know.

Alright, so I've been trying to get Brawl+ to work on my Wii, but of course first I need the Homebrew Channel and Gecko OS. I use 4.0, so I was able to get the Homebrew Channel properly working using the Bannerbomb method. But for some reason, I can't get Gecko OS to work.

I've followed several tutorials such as (link removed) and other very similar ones, all of which involve putting the Gecko OS files in the apps folder of my SD card. I've done that, but I can't get it to work on my Wii. Whenever I insert my SD card in and run the Homebrew Channel, the Homebrew Channel appears empty.

Please help me. What am I doing wrong?

Btw, if you need to know, my SD Card is a 4GB SDHC.
Gecko Os isn't working with 4.0 as of yet. Only way to play brawl+ on 4.0 is using the snapshot method!

Man_With_Thooo

Smash Apprentice
Ok this is a request pertaining to the file replacement texture codes. My sd slot is broken so i can't use my sd card. However many people dont know this but gecko os 1.9 allows codes loaded from the usb port. I load brawl+ from a usb thumb drive. What i want to know is is it possible to modify the texture codes to read the files from the usb drive instead of the sd card? The wii is capable of reading info from the usb drive so i would suppose this would be a simple fix. However i really don't know.

Gecko Os isn't working with 4.0 as of yet. Only way to play brawl+ on 4.0 is using the snapshot method!
Could you please send me a link to how the snapshot method works and stuff? I can't seem to find it anywhere...:D

jalued

Smash Lord
i was wondering if its possible for me to get an EXACT list of the differences between 5/8 version of NTSC and PAL brawl+, as i want to play online, and have a text file open with ocarina code manager, but am unsure what codes i need to add/alter/remove

(im NTSC, so i will be the one making the alterations, unless my PAL mate needs to as well)

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
can someone please PM me if there is a code to have text boxes in your taunts in offline fights instead of just online fights. any help is greatly appreciated. thankx smash community :)

lmdst

Smash Rookie
I think the reason there aren't text boxes in local matches is because, well, your friends are right there in the room with you. There is no need for in-game communication when you can just talk.

In any case, hope you get your code. I myself can't do anything about it (lack of an USB Gecko, for one).

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Why does the HBC not appear when I use my 8GBHC SD card? It works fine when I use my 256MB SD card...

Both have the EXACT same files and settings, if that helps.
I don't know if you can use over 2gb's, maybe that's just for installing HomeBrew?

It could be because it's an HC one as well, I don't know for sure though.

=/

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Could I get a code that gives me no landing lag from arials (and normal landing lag)? Any help would be appreciated.

Antiwhitman

Smash Rookie
Whenever I use geckOS to load brawl, it says "No SD codes found" despite the fact that I have the RSBE01.gct file in the code file in the root of the sd card. Help would be greatly appreciated, I'm at my wits end.

Antiwhitman

Smash Rookie
I removed the gamecube memory cards and renamed the file, removing the extension, and I'm still getting the same error. It's so irritating. I must be doing something incredibly stupid.

Antiwhitman

Smash Rookie
in the root->codes->RSBE01

as for gecko

apps->gecko1901-> boot.elf, icon, meta

Does the codes file need to be moved or named something else?

Antiwhitman

Smash Rookie
Yes, I do have codemanager. I copy pasted the brawl plusery into it and went to the homebrew channel and opened up codemanager, selected all the codes, and had it turn them into gct, but when I run brawl from gecko, It stil lcan't find the codes.

DO I need to use a specific hook or something?

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
OK, u kno what, I will give u my formatting from my SD card. I will give you my apps and codes folder all set up, with the file needed on the root of the SD card so that Gecko has over 8000 lines.

Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?igg3kmim4oj
I added my codes folder, just export to .gct again, with your codes on it.

edit: Get codemgr on the computer, and put it in a folder on your computer called "pc", along with any .txt files of codes that you want. Get Brawl+ as a .txt file, and load it via codemgr (click file, andclick"load .txt file" or whatever it is. if u still cant get it to work, the thing at the top of codemanager (on the computer) that says Game ID, must be RSBE01. THIS MUST BE THE NAME OF THE GAME ID!!!! The codemanager that you have on the Wii is a hassle to get ready.

Edit #2: The codemanager that is on the computer is here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j2yjzjminiy

SCOTU

Smash Hero
note that RSBE01.gct works, leaving the extension is fine.

You may want to note that brawl from non-North American regions may be either RSBJ01 (for Japan) or RSB_01.gct (don't remember the abbrv for eruope/PAL; probably just P).

Antiwhitman

Smash Rookie
I just downloaded the .gct file from the brawlplussery thread, and it loaded the codes. I must have been botching something up with codemanager. No idea what it could have been. Thank you for all the help though, you've been so kind and patient.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
I need peoples thoughts on BannerBomb, and Brawl+ in general. My mom is really concerned about me putting Brawl + on my Wii, because if my Wii breaks, my and both my sisters are out of luck, because we are poor and can't afford a new one. I wan't to know if it's worth even trying.

B3Brawler

Smash Apprentice
I need peoples thoughts on BannerBomb, and Brawl+ in general. My mom is really concerned about me putting Brawl + on my Wii, because if my Wii breaks, my and both my sisters are out of luck, because we are poor and can't afford a new one. I wan't to know if it's worth even trying.
Completely safe in my experience. I've BannerBombed 2 wiis, one on 3,3 and one on 4,0 with no problems. All homebrew used for Brawl+ is completely safe too. Only some of the trickier homebrew such as IOS downgraders can brick a wii. If you're just following the guide then there's no risk.

B3Brawler

Smash Apprentice
Why does the HBC not appear when I use my 8GBHC SD card? It works fine when I use my 256MB SD card...

Both have the EXACT same files and settings, if that helps.
are you on 4.0? lower system menus don't support SDHC cards. If you update you'll want to bannerbomb though

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Some Questions Concerning Unlimited Replays

Back when Sakurai was updating his site before the release of Brawl, news came of the awesome addition of the Replay feature. At the same time, however, it was discovered that replays could only be 3:00 minutes each. Why?

Since the Unlimited Replay code came to my attention, I've been asking this question even more. Replays seem to run fine past 3:00 min - though I've never recorded a replay longer than 8:00 min.

I've known replays are just button data for a long time, so before I discovered the Unlimited Replay code I just thought the 3:00 minute limitation was so the button data wouldn't get too heavy. Obviously there wasn't a real limitation to begin with.

So the questions are:

When the Unlimited Replay code was written, did any of the coders encounter something like a file size limitation?

Is there an increased chance of replay corruption when the length exceeds 3:00 minutes?

If both of these are answered no, they why was the 3:00 minute time limit imposed?

Are the Unlimited Replay codes okay to use in tourneys and online with friends - since most good battles are longer then 3:00 min.

Was the replay problem discussed in this old thread concerning the inability to record some online matches ever explained?

Sorry if this post doesn't exactly promote discussion but after searching I couldn't find an up-to-date thread with which I could have my questions answered - I didn't want to bump the old thread. In any case, responses would by appreciated.

Almas

Smash Lord
Moved over jahkz' question.

There was no filesize limitation. The infinite replay code essentially changes the line of code in the game which says "Check if the game lasted over 3 minutes" to "do nothing".

I've heard reports that yes, longer matches can start to have funny results when recorded. But I've never played around with it myself.

Perhaps the time limit was put in place because of the "block" system of memory space that the Wii uses. Replays of 3 minutes in length would be unlikely to use up a full "block". But going much over that could cause it, which while not having a large impact on the system would be kinda messy. A more cynical mind would suggest that it was done to put a damper on competitive play.

I have not yet seen a tournament that disallowed the unlimited replays code. That said, I have heard talk that some people don't like hacked wiis in tournaments (because of the risk that you might have a subtle game-altering code on or something). That said, even if it is true it's a silly idea, since the game could just be launched without codes instead.

It's possible that the issue was caused by people just not knowing that the infinite replays code makes replays saveable regardless of length but does not necessarily show you the nice picture saying you're allowed to save it. But probably not.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I've heard that Infinite replays stop working if you have 4 players and > ~5min.

The replay format heavily relies on pointers of fixed binary length to tell the system where to look later down in the file. If you have too much stuff in a replay, it simply won't work right. This means that things like saving that replay of your 99stock game against your friend isn't possible. I suppose that our brilliant Nintendo development team thought that, no game over 3 minutes will have this problem, so we'll implement a 3 minute time cap. Clearly, the right solution would've been to make the pointers twice as long (oh ****, you'll sacrifice a few extra bytes; heaven forbid), or (since all the replay data is in memory when the game checks to see if you save a replay) to allow you to save a replay if the format can handle it.

Replay length limit is another arbitrary inhibitor brought to you by the wonderfully intelligent and rational Developers of brawl.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
Since there have been rumors of people getting banned for using codes when they go online, I have been booting up brawl normally and I'm having a few problems with freezing. Whenever I go into the my music options and select battlefeild, my wii freezes and I have to reboot. I can select the other stages, but battlefeild freezes without fail.

The codes i played with were "my music (hold a button selects a song)", "tags in replay", and "infinite replay time". I have replays saved on my wii that have been taken online, with changed music, with both those replay codes on.

Solutions?
i was told i needed a music fix. ccan someone tell me where to find it or explain plz? thanks

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
u know they have the list for the characters? (koopa,mario,etc. to put the textures in) well wats the list for items? and assist trophies? what folder do i have to make for them?

and i just did my CSS and it keeps freezing...like when a match is over or when i quit out of training mode it just freezes.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Alright, something really wierd just happend to me. I have brawl+ v4.1, and I have 4.0 with textures. I got my 4.1 codes in the codes folder and 4.0 in the root of my SD card. Heres the wierd part, I have the 4.1 character selection screen, but I have 4.0 stuff like "falcon doesn't get his up b after falcon kick" and I have 4.1 stuff like "falco has no chain grab". Does someone know why it does this?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
@Almas & Scotu:

Thanks for your responses. Some things I had a feeling about, but most of your information was pretty insightful. Hadn't thought of the block system as a limitation and the fact that a data heavy replay won't work right also explains why some chaotic replays under 3:00 minutes end up corrupted (sucks).

Also, sorry I didn't post in this thread to begin with. For some reason I was thinking the "Official Code Q&A + Requests" thread was actually the Brawl+ code thread. I guess if I had checked this thread I would've realized it wasn't the Brawl+ one. Thanks for moving my questions to the appropriate place though, and for your answers of course.

Edit:
Does the notion of longer pointers refer to replays that aren't heavy on button data, and don't need short pointers that might by recording useless info during inactive moments?

If this is the case, then a highly chaotic replay might require shorter pointers to account for all the button data occurring at every moment.

Of course, this is assuming that by pointer length you mean frequency that a line of data is recorded.

Example: slow battles take longer to fill a line of data so their pointers could be less frequent and fast battles fill a line of data quickly so the frequency of the pointers would have to compensate accordingly?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to grasp something that's over my head.

Top Bottom