• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Cleveland Common Grounds Weekly Smashfest

Omni2268

Smash Apprentice
O_o; O_o;

I can probably go to commons but if i do it would only be until about 10 or so cause Vinny is back in town and he wants to hang out and play some Rock Band 2 and smash at Adams tonight. Soooo yea, maybe.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Rock Band is lame. XP

@ Sorry for not coming everyone. Attendance was seeming rather...limited. >.>;

Dobs

Smash Journeyman
Grrrrrr, last minute johns are so lame. Still, I got alot of good matches with Flip, his friend (didn't catch his name), Nemy, and Will.

Impp

Smash Ace
I need to play some Brawl before the tourney on the 28th.
Anthony you going to the Brawl tournament, I think it's next Sunday?

soap

Smash Hero
What time do you guys wanna meet on both nights? Since it's my last week here I wouldn't mind coming two nights back to back.

Soap, how's the smash scene at Columbus/OSU? I'm moving in on Sunday. I hope that there are people who still play melee. I gotta practice for Season's Beatings.
it was pretty bad for a while but there are people that r starting to play again a lil maybe a total of 15 known melee players, less than half of which have time to play, i dunoo how much time ill have this year either, PM me ur number

FlipX

Smash Ace
So how many people are gonna still be in the cleveland area by the end of the week? I only ask because I see a bunch of people going to college.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I'll still be in the Cleveland area, granted it's in University Heights, but still close anyway.

nojoes

Smash Ace
i'll have 3 melee setups and we'll have some people to play friendlies with up there, i think 4% said he was thinking of coming up. Tournaments on the 28th, Smash on the lake, too lazy to find the link. :p

FlipX

Smash Ace
If I thought I stood some sort of a chance in brawl id go, but since ive only played the game for like less than 3 hours total I dont think its worth it =P

Omni2268

Smash Apprentice
OOO I never know about these tourneys at all till i either talk to one of you or come on here by chance. But umm i doubt i will be going to that tourney sunday cause 1. No ride and 2. No money...YAY...I need to find myself a job before i start school in November :(

Brawl = or can sometimes be > Melee

Yea suck that one ED XD

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Sure, if you say so. XD

You go ahead and ride the Ferris Wheel, I'll stick to the Dragster. O.~

nojoes

Smash Ace
If I thought I stood some sort of a chance in brawl id go, but since ive only played the game for like less than 3 hours total I dont think its worth it =P
you don't need to enter, i was saying i have melee set ups for friendlies and i have quite a few melee players coming to just play. noone's forcing you to play brawl, everyone has their own cup of tea =P

I would recommend coming though, the tournaments at the venue are going to become a regular thing and i'll start adding melee singles and possibly doubles when time permits. Plus we have around 15 set ups total so friendlies are bountiful, even during the tournament itself.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191852

here's the first week this sunday coming up. hope to see some of you guys there =D

EDIT: In my opinion Melee is hands down a better game than Brawl, there really is no argument. Just like KB said, Melee was like the god **** Dragster, (except it lasted more than 10 seconds, hence making it actually good). I'm not sure if you guys have seen the set between M2K and DaShizWhiz from FAST but I could incited a riot I went so nuts after seeing that set. However I still think Brawl is an excellent game with a lot more potential then most people would think. You have to realize it's a different game and it's not as fast paced and technically based as Melee was, but it can still be quicker than what you would initially think. The game emphasizes spacing and mind games a lot more and since you aren't so enveloped in correct timing and technical aspects it frees your mind to think more on the spacing and mind games, which personally I like. People keep on saying Brawl will hit a ceiling but it still hasn't and the game is still evolving. Campers (such as OS) aren't winning tournaments anymore. Stop thinking how the new game mechanics hinder you and think of how they can open up new possibilities, for example, at first the auto sweet spot seemed like the worst thing to ever happen to edge guarding, it made edge guarding impractical and getting back so easy, double whammy, skill removed from recovering and eliminated edge guarding. Not only that but insane ledge camping has surfaced (Plank), which is quite possibly the gayest and most boring possible play style known to man (Not attacking Plank, but it's just my opinion). However since edge guarding from on the stage was eliminated this made going out on your opponent your only option, which in my opinion takes more precision and skill than edge guarding from the stage. Marth and mario players (as well as other characters) then realized they could utilize the auto sweet spot themselves to further the efficiency of edge guarding off the stage. For instance, the marth player will initially go out and force the other player to compensate in some way to get around the marth or be KOed if they even have a good enough recovery and situation to make the adjustment. Then the marth is forced to back off due to lack of recovery but can up b quickly to the ledge, auto sweet spot, then instantly fast fall back air for the edge guard and then repeat the process until the KO. If you don't like Brawl or think it's a bad game, that's your right to believe so, but I'd say give it a chance, it really isn't all that bad (although I personally believe Metaknight being banned would make the game so much better). The game has some real growing potential, particularly due to it selling such an insane amount of copies (hence having a bigger pool of people to draw from) There's so many other issues and things to be addressed but I've already rambled on long enough, however if anyone has any complaints or problems with brawl I'd love to try to change your mind and play a few games in person.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I agree with your entire statement. Melee is hands down a better competitive game than Brawl, but I still acknowledge everything Brawl has to offer and I still play the game for myself. It just takes a backseat to Melee for me, but that is just my preference. :)

@ I totally agree with the banning of Metaknight. Spacies are top tier in Melee, but at least they have weaknesses to compensate for their great abilities and advantages. MK is just...I hate to say it...broken. >.>;

nojoes

Smash Ace
lol at MK. Also I'd like to point out that melee has very little room for growth as far as community size due to the massive learning curve to actual competitive play, the nice thing about brawl is it has a much much more lenient curve, yet still requires enough skill that there are such things as better brawl players and they consistently win. M2K, Azen, etc. Brawls capacity to grow is massive and I'd wish that we'd have more melee players embrace it a bit more T_T.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i can do the same exact thing in melee with sheik as i can do in brawl.

i planked eggm one tournament when i hadn't played melee in 5 months almost and still beat him, lol. up+b stall ftw

nojoes

Smash Ace
sheik's up b works differently than just about every other characters in melee if i'm not mistaken. Also wouldn't that say melee can be just as bad as brawl as far as planking? Also amusing to see MD in the Cleveland thread =D

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
yea thats what im saying, if i stalled with sheik as bad as i do with MK, i wouldve been way more successful in melee cuz sheik is even better at it than mk, imo. its avoidable in both games, though, just takes timing and patience.

nojoes

Smash Ace
so want to give me lessons on how to beat you then? =D

EDIT: On another note, when and if vidjo comes back, think you or someone will be able to give us housing if we wanted to come up to visit and do some tournaments up by you guys, probably on a break or over summer?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
not really XD

i dont even edgecamp much, its wayyyy overhyped. Ive edgecamped 3 matches in my entire brawl career (all vs falco, falco is a ***), while ive won multiple tournaments and beaten multiple of the best pros in sets. hell, i beat m2king with wario XD

people think if u take away mk from me i wont do well, but i got 2nd at a low tier tourney saturday losing to only chu XD

nojoes

Smash Ace
Plank do you think MK should be banned (maybe not now, but in the future maybe?) and check my edit for the previous post.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
im always ok with housing a few people, i have my own apartment.

and no, i dont think mk will ever need to be banned. hes above everyone else right now because a lot of the best players use him, that's all. The top MK players in brawl were also top players in melee for the most part, and other top melee players are still competing with MK. People like to blame losses on MK when theyre just losing to people better than them.

Look at the best mk players.

m2k
dsf
plank
omni
forte

all of the top 4 were pros in melee, and forte got brawl/was playing all metaknight since the day the japanese release came out. These players are simply better than the new brawl players who are losing to mk.

Players like Azen/chillin/chu/g-reg have all taken out all those mks listed multiple times, and even if they lose some, they use non-mk characters. Lucario/falco/kirby/snake respectively.

The best of the best dont ever seem to be the ones complaining about metaknight, it's the new players. The only exception is chillin, and thats because he hates mk with a huge passion. Kinda like i hate ICs. lol

bottom line is MK's dont even really win that many tournies, at least not around here where a lot of the best talent is (unless its m2k, but m2k would win with anyone) so i really doubt he will be banned

if he is, i dont care that much, my secondaries can beat 99% of people my mk can beat lol

nojoes

Smash Ace
I think there's a reason the top players are using him though, he is hands down above the rest and really has no bad match up, period. That really is just ********. I've witnessed first hand lesser players beating better players due to MK. However i do agree that his metagame in particular is further along due to the fact that a good chunk of high level players use him. I just think that it's ******** that people are leaving their mains to go to metaknight just because he's that much better than every other character and i don't think that it's good for the community imo. Oh well. everyone has their opinion.

FlipX

Smash Ace
you don't need to enter, i was saying i have melee set ups for friendlies and i have quite a few melee players coming to just play. noone's forcing you to play brawl, everyone has their own cup of tea =P
I didn't mean it like that lol. I just meant it was a bit to far to drive to play friendlies. Ive been out to right around that area before and have even been inside the game center and it is a very nice place, probably the best place ive seen as far as tournaments go, but its almost twice as far as the coffee place where I play now and I would rather not use up the gas if I didn't plan on entering the tournament. However, once the melee tournaments start I will definitly be up there =)

Also I agree with what you said about DSW vs M2K, that match was sick =P

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Nobody -GOOD- is leaving their mains to go to him, though. That's the kicker.

MK is not that good against lucario, imo lucario might be the single character that has an advantage on him. A few other characters go pretty even with him as well.

Imo he's like sheik from melee. Sheik had no glaring weaknesses at the beginning, but eventually they came out.

King~

Smash Champion
i think im the opposite of whats going on nowadays

like after 5 years melee dosnt hold that fun factor anymore, i play it strictly for competiton(which there hasnt been much of). i need someone to show me how it could be fun again. i just prefer the back and forth nature of brawl rigth now.

BTW i dont think meta needs a ban yet, he isnt as broken as people make him out to be

Omni2268

Smash Apprentice
Sure, if you say so. XD

You go ahead and ride the Ferris Wheel, I'll stick to the Dragster. O.~
LOL get your little puns out all you want cause that doesn't stop the fact that i can handle you just fine on both rides. O. ..... well i guess i can't find that little cool squiggily thingy so o well.

Haha nojoes explanation on Brawl and its deifference than Melee was just too good. Too bad some people can't do anything but complain and complain about how Brawl sucks cause what i believe is cause they can't seem to use their high tier cahracters (Melee) in Brawl. My personal reason for liking Brawl more than Melee is the fact that any character can stand a chance rather then being ganged up on by the high tier characters of Melee. Even though a tier list came out for Brawl, I still go around playing people who all have seen it and yet i still don't run into the same characters over and over again. O BTW which reminds me you and your brother was it?? never came up to Matsuri after the Middle of Ohio Tourney II was over. Haha and Faye (Aura) left her controller there which was fail.

nojoes

Smash Ace
O BTW which reminds me you and your brother was it?? never came up to Matsuri after the Middle of Ohio Tourney II was over. Haha and Faye (Aura) left her controller there which was fail.
hahah yeah we called the CF guys and told them we were going to the anime con instead, infact there should be another MoO tourney coming up, i need to PM those guys or something, so you coming to my tournament this sunday omni? no johns. you better be =P

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
LOL get your little puns out all you want cause that doesn't stop the fact that i can handle you just fine on both rides. O. ..... well i guess i can't find that little cool squiggily thingy so o well.

Haha nojoes explanation on Brawl and its deifference than Melee was just too good. Too bad some people can't do anything but complain and complain about how Brawl sucks cause what i believe is cause they can't seem to use their high tier cahracters (Melee) in Brawl. My personal reason for liking Brawl more than Melee is the fact that any character can stand a chance rather then being ganged up on by the high tier characters of Melee. Even though a tier list came out for Brawl, I still go around playing people who all have seen it and yet i still don't run into the same characters over and over again. O BTW which reminds me you and your brother was it?? never came up to Matsuri after the Middle of Ohio Tourney II was over. Haha and Faye (Aura) left her controller there which was fail.
Now now, I get the feeling that you're indirectly accusing me of saying that Brawl flat out sucks. You know I play the game. If I absolutely hated it THAT much, I wouldn't even bother to continue playing it. You must understand that there are different viewpoints on the Melee/Brawl topic, but you're failing to acknowledge the other viewpoints while labeling them as simple "complaints". Also, are you sure that you want to say the whole thing about people simply hating Brawl because they can't use their old high tier characters? That is a pretty unfair thing to say, and pretty stereotypical if you ask me, because not everyone who played Melee used high tiers and high tiers only, perhaps more often in competition, but not completely. You know, you were so against me stating my opinion on the Melee/Brawl topic out loud a few months back, but you're doing the exact same thing that you were pretty much *****ing about then. You're trying to force-feed your opinion on Melee/Brawl down someone's throat. In short, you're doing what you didn't want me to do, so stop already. We both play each game very well, I favor one, you favor the other, let's just leave it at that. >.>

Top Bottom