• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

???????

Smash Journeyman
When his matchups are revised and he starts placing higher in tournaments then he may be comsidered for mid mid, until then i see him as upper low
That's a fair statement, but there are other characters that have been facing the same problems such as
Diddy Kong and Toon Link.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Ok here is my rough draft for my low tier, please help as I used all the evidence I have used for my other tiers to make this one. you can help by commenting on a character's placement.
Low tier
Sonic
Shiek
Peach
Ness
Ike
Luigi
Link
(Squirtle)
(Charizard) }PT
(Ivysuar)
Mario
Samus

Other candidates for the bottom of the low(Jiggs,Bowser,Yoshi)
As for the PT squitrle has a really good AT(shellshifting) and a WOP, Charizard, having a hard counter(ness) and a good recovery(gliding may be the worst of Pit and MK,but it gives him a lot of distance in his recovery), and then Ivysaur with match-ups only slightly better than squitle and Charizard, but his recovery is a candidate for worst in the game. The placings of characters could change if you give enough evidence that they should be reconsidered.
@Underdogs22, G&W has one of the better all around match-ups in brawl being a hard counter to many characters and has satifactory tournament placement but under snake and MK in both those categories so I feel he should not be overestimated by putting G&W in a the best group of characters that has crazy tons of tourney wins when he is under wario and Rob in tournaemnt placement. Remeber that G&W is the 2nd lightest character in the game, which allows low % kills to happen on him which is a problem for G&W at 100% against most characters. Also Falco is not that high, he has not proved himself enough in tournament placings, the only reason he is in the high and not upper tier is beacuse his match-ups are great but not at the Snake/mk level. DDD wins tournaemnts, its that simple, he should be acknowledged for his profusion of wins, the only thing holding him down is his match-ups which are still good but not as good as G&W. Also Lucas is in the middle beacuse of his average tournament placemnt and ok match-ups with two hard counters(marth only for ininfite and G&W by gimping his recovery),also lucas is a hard counter to pika with lucas' b-down which gets lucas health. Lucas has some good AT's(zap jump gives him a good recovery) so only marth and G&W have it really easy when play lucas.

Jordan178

Smash Rookie
Altough I will say "Tiers R 4 Queers" since I just like to play as someone who I'm best with (mines is Lucas).
Lucas is the BOMB! (Same thing with Olimar, Dedede, Diddy, Toon Link, and other characters I like...please don't kill me! >.<)

My most hated characters are Ike and Meta Knight...>.>

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
No way Pokemon Trainer is that low. They should all be somewhere in mid tier.

Squirtle's quick and has great air control and great aerials and shellshifting is awesome.

Ivysaur has great range, a good projectile and bullet seed is basically WTFPWNSAUCE. Terrible recovery is a huge flaw though. Norfair is a good counterpick since you won't get edge hogged by the way.

As for Charizard, he's strong and heavy and his attacks aren't that slow. His Fair is a great edgeguarding move and he's got great recovery because of gliding (Which is still great despite it being slower then Pit MK) and super armour in his up B. He's also got a very fast dash.

I've noticed they all have a problem with Snake but who doesn't?

???????

Smash Journeyman
hizzlum is simply going by the data that has been presented to him; although the data may be outdated, his calculations stand until new data is presented to him that can properly justify changes (Example: Mario is obviously not that low as a character, but from what current data suggests he is).

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Altough I will say "Tiers R 4 Queers" since I just like to play as someone who I'm best with (mines is Lucas).
Lucas is the BOMB! (Same thing with Olimar, Dedede, Diddy, Toon Link, and other characters I like...please don't kill me! >.<)

My most hated characters are Ike and Meta Knight...>.>
That is good. >_>

Tiers do not apply to casual play so you have nothing to worry about. If you are a tournament goer, way to go repping Lucas. But seriously, the existance or nonexistance of tiers will not change anything. Snake and Metaknight will still be overplayed by almost everybody because a 12 year old could figure out Metaknight is godly.

Guys, please do not flame this kid.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
hizzlum is simply going by the data that has been presented to him; although the data may be outdated, his calculations stand until new data is presented to him that can properly justify changes (Example: Mario is obviously not that low as a character, but from what current data suggests he is).
Exactly, I am just evaluating the current meta-game right now, and there are certain characters(mario and diddy kong) who are low right now but seem like they will rise, and when they do place well in tournaments and have their match-ups updated, I will update my chart.
@Hippochinfat: the PT has done really bad in tournaments and his match-ups rival that of the low tier, I am going to reconsider his placemnt upwards in the low tier along with link, but the PT has proven at this stage in the metagame to be no more than low tier.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
First off I'll point out that PKT2 is a very reliable killing move at 40-60% against every character in the game being fast, easily comboed into, undodgable through the tail, great for edgeguarding and recovering and easy to aim, do, hit with, anywhere, any time.

Probably the best KO attack in the game. Yeah, I said it haha

Then you throw in bthrow, bair, uair, dair and his lesser killers like fsmash, nair and PK flashlulzomgitworkssometimes and he can kill better than almost any character. Matches Zelda, Snake, DK, Luigi, G&W and Ganon in terms of killing at low % with many moves used in many occasions

Firstly, to address your ness argument, http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=157979. Ness matches up poorly against just about everyone.

I'm not even going to open that link cause I bet it's that really messed up SWF main list thingy and it's almost as silly as I (apparently) am :laugh:

GW counters ness extremely well. Ness has no response to his bair so GW has a great approach on him. Secondly, GW can bucket all of Ness' projectiles cutting down that aspect of his game. On top of that GW gimps ness' recovery very easily with his bucket. Ness is at a great disadvantage against Marth due to the infinte as well as how easilly he is ko'd by his fsmash. Against DK, ness is at a disadvantage as well. Firstly because of Dk's range. Dk's tilts as well as grab are a serious problem for ness. Its almost imposible to get inside on him. Also Its very difficult for Ness to ko Dk at less than about 160 or 170 percent. Ness is also at a disadvantage against metaknight. Ness cannot deal with Mk's tilts or quick grabs. Also he is gimped fairly easilly by Mk. Ness is at a disadvantage against snake as well. snake is just too powerful for ness and too heavy. It is difficult for ness to get kills at under like 175 percent and he is ko'd by snake at low percents. On top of that, ness has very little if not almost no tournament representation. When taking his matchups as well as his tournament showings into account it is very difficult to put him any higher than low tier or the very bottom of mid
@Dynanism have you seen Ness's match-ups? There overall worse than average with 3 hard counters(charizard(another hard counter to ness) and marth by infinite grab and G&W's bucket gimp's ness' recovery)
And what are you talking about that luigi counters MK,Snake,and DK? Thats a completly false statement as I looked at all there match-up threads? You seem to have no real evidence when proving your opinions, which won help win arguements.
Also I am evaluating the current metagame, I take all the information that I can gather and evaulte their proformance at this stage in competitive brawl.
Seen his match ups? How about played his match ups on both sides of the match up and seen and heard many many times regarding all of them? Have you? Have the people making these threads actually played or SEEN? Somehow I highly doubt that whatever info you've been given is correct, maybe it was but it was out powered by the false lol

Again, Marth, G&W and MK. That's exactly what I said. Anyone else? I have yet to see it. Zelda can, sometimes a few others but not much. And when Charizard is gone, he can take the other two at least equally. That is another decent disadvantage like Zelda so her and PT after those big 3 rangies. There, 5 out of 36ish is pretty bad I guess *rolls eyes* heheh yep
Also, the Ness vs DK is very even. Ness has huge priority or him, aerial speed, projectiles and hitboxes that swarm DK. If not, Ness > DK when you include spiking and Ness' huge advantage over generally large characters. Not to mention Ness bair will go through almost anything DK has. So much for DKs versitile approach, evade, ko, etc bair control game.
Snake > almost everyone really and Ness is less < Snake than most. Could be even too, 0-deaths aren't too hard because of the heavy character+bad air+imobile thing.

Luigi does counter them lol
The very VERY brief of it...
Nair > MK, among other things like dsmash of course lol
Snake sucks in air and Luigi sends Snake into the air with everything and keeps him there. Fireballs as we all know from Mario, > Snake and Luigi can avoid trading hits with Snake through hurricane and huge priority fast attacks. Even trading hits with Snake is bad because he's heavy and kills fast but with Luigi not so much because Snake is in a bad position after getting hit with almost any of Luigis main attacks. Plus he kills early (UpB on slow character that stands still a lot? Yeah, it's pretty good)
DK, ask a DK thread. lol

*facepalm*

1. My post was an explication. I was adding to what I had said earlier in regardes to your post.

2. Why would you even mention pika if you understood what I was saying earlier? Hence my response.

3.I wouldn't misread what you posted if you had been clear earlier.
Sorry, I'll make it clearer. Or just read better too just incase ;P
Because Pika applies to that, along with Sonic, Ness, Falco etc. Simply put, all of those characters are played differently by everyone at this point.

Shadowlink give it up, there is obviously no reasoning with this silly man
you can twist perception all you like, reality wont budge, i like being silly if that's what it means to not have the picture painted for me because the little pieces everyone gives you can sometimes be the wrong fit with others. Just saying lol

I'm guessing 90% of all the people arguing that Jiggly is in fact the worst character in brawl, or at least amongst the last 3 have never seen a decent Jiggly in brawl before, let alone a good one.
Very true, I've impressed a lot of people with my Jiggs then was one day impressed by another Jiggs and we combined forces and improved our Jiggs' even more to make our Jiggs' Crazy!
Jiggs with have her time, just you wait people :b

From what I've seen WoP works fine still. It's just not as cool because everyone can do it.

Loss of DJC is actually a buff in Brawl's physics system. Having played with him, it's astonishing how underrated he is.
With DJC, he could 0-death combo every character in melee but with the removed hitstun, his follow through gives him the ability to chain more than any other character in the game just like he did in melee (proportionally)
No DJC also opens up for offstage play etc etc, it's VERY good.

Jiggs is a beast and the WOP is still insane in comparison to most of the cast. FJ Fair>rising Pound>Nair>repeat is vicious!

Both very underrated

2nd worst matchups in the game -_-, that's all I have to say when people contest Yoshi's placement
Who has the worst? Ike? I'd agree with that ;)

Yoshi has incredible match ups, that's something that's going for him. His problem match up wise is that aside from his really good and really bad match ups (which leave him at a +) his equal or close to equal match ups are on the - side often. That still isn't even that bad.

Balanced characters are actually the most difficult to place.

hizzlum quote "Also I am evaluating the current metagame, I take all the information that I can gather and evaulte their proformance at this stage in competitive brawl."

I suppose I'll just stop commenting about the tier list and more about the metagame then. It irritates me to do so but if it helps than so be it.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Metaknight will still be overplayed by almost everybody because a 12 year old could figure out Metaknight is godly.
HAHAHA omg!!!

That's hilarious!
A 12 year old kid came out of nowhere with a Metaknight and got 2nd at a tourney I went too and in the final, dieslow even had to use MK to beat his MK. It was freakin epic and only MKs. So true, so incredibly true.

sorry if this happens to be a dp, it's just too good and forgot to read before posting that last multiquote

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
gah, >_<

Also, @shadowlink: you almost lost points there, but you made it up, by bringing up FFTA2....can't ****ing wait ^_^ (also, I've been playing magic since kindergarten (i'm 19 now), so I have an ingrained dislike of Yugioh... =P
I dabbed into magic a little bit but sadly I've never had the time or money to devote much to it =(.
It far surpasses yu-gi-oh but I play yu-gi-oh simply as a means of killing time until an upcoming game i've been looking for comes out.

If that bores me I have meteos.
meteos is winnage.

Dynaism said:
Sorry, I'll make it clearer. Or just read better too just incase ;P
Because Pika applies to that, along with Sonic, Ness, Falco etc. Simply put, all of those characters are played differently by everyone at this point.
Or clearer. WHen you had posted in response to me I had thought you were insinuatiing I meant only one character.

As i said for most characters a certain strategy or another is more effective than the others and so will be used more often.
*points to Link, Lucas, Snake* My point remains.

underdogs22 said:
ShadowLink84: the more I read your posts the more I realize that you are just a whining sonic fanboy. Well sonic sucks and get over it.
1.Um who the bloody hell are you again?
For one I am a Link fanboy. If you are going to call me a fanboy at least get it right.

2. Unlike you I back up my points and I have stated them quite well and precisely and supported them very well.

3. If sonic sucks why is it that he won 3 major tournaments and was in the top eight a number of times?

Sonic is most definitely mid tier material, and you are simply an idiot. Good day.
No wonder people dislike 08 members.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
@ underdogs: Sonic doesn't suck. Get with it.

@ hizzlum: Be careful talking about the matchup chart, unless you're absolutely sure that it's right. Also, Yoshi/Boozer is low tier. I could see Samus and Link below them, and Mario is definitely higher.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
@kiwi: Sonic does suck.
Nope. Take a look at the tourney rankings, he has a lot more than any other character considered "bad". Talk to somebody that doesn't main Sonic but understands what he can do. Do SOMETHING to get this misconception out of your head, because it's completely outdated. You may as well go around saying Ike is broken.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
When the forums are slow, I correct people a lot. Sorry >.>
You know what bugs me? When people have been members longer than I have and have posted much more than I have, and they still just say stupid things.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
LoL, I wasn't referring to you. YET! >:U
But this seems to be a problem... people have gotten into the habit of assigning knowledge based on the join date and post count. Some people don't even read May/June '08 posts. And some people have been saying dumb sh** for, like, two or three years. It helps to READ the posts, people.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
either i play a lot of really good samus or i just suck vs samus but i dont see her being too too nerfed. link is alright and luigi def beats mario in this game. there are a lot of good yoshi players and peach completely got destroyed . all these are observation personal so thats what i can contribute from local tournament results.

lol rob+snake always win them im just saying some guys are really good with the above mentioned

Theftz22

Smash Lord
There's more sonic's in tournaments then the other low tiered character's, so he has better chance of winning. He has horrible matchups, he's predictable, laggy, awful priority, and problems killing. All he has is good ground speed and a recovery. Sorry for flaming. My bad. but sonic does suck.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
There's more sonic's in tournaments then the other low tiered character's, so he has better chance of winning. He has horrible matchups, he's predictable, laggy, awful priority, and problems killing. All he has is good ground speed and a recovery.
Matchups: Uh, you best not be looking at that matchup thread. Go to the SONIC matchups in the SONIC section. You'll find that Sonic has problems with the upper tiers, just like everyone else not in them.
Popularity: Conceded. But he can't be THAT bad if he can actually win. That means he's beating out Snakes and MKs and all that good stuff for three tourney victories.
Predictable: OK, now here's your credibility just gone out the window. Any Sonic main knows that unpredictability is one of the few things Sonic has going for him. That and his ability to pressure.
Awful Priority: Conceded. Although I'm pretty sure some moves have good priority...
Problems Killing: Not if he can gimp his opponent. He has no more trouble killing than a Meta-Knight.
"All he has is good ground speed and a recovery"...AND a good approach, AND the ability to rack up damage easily, AND fun with spring gimping, AND an amazing pressure game...

Different play style from top tier characters =/= to bottom/low tier character.
kthanxbai. (I swore I would never say that.)

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
There's more sonic's in tournaments then the other low tiered character's,
True but Sonic is still vastly underplayed in comparison to other characters.
Nice try though.
Correct but he's fast so he has better chance of winning.
Edited.
He has horrible matchups,
No he doesn't.
Most of his amtchups are to his advantage/neutral.
he's predictable,
Wrong.
ASC
Spinshot
SJC
DAC

Not to mention his side B has high priority during the initial hop.
He is far from predictable
Nope
awful priority,
Better than CF and jiggly at least.

and problems killing.
Damage racking says hello. As well as his many setups for gimping.

Game set and match.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^good for you. Get good at the game, then say that =P just kidding man, but unless you can back stuff up, don't say it ^_^

From experience, I can 3-stock people with sonic that go even with my G&W. Part of that is because they're used to G&W, but part of it is that sonic's speed, plus dashing shield grab equals massive punishment, plus a ---dare I say--- godly up air, priority-wise--> going through most chars (even disjointed) d-airs.

Sonic is definately not better than G&W, but he isn't bottom, and most likely not low either.

(also, I'm a n-air *****, so yeah autocancel n-airs ^_^)

Browny

Smash Hater
i honestly wonder if any who calls sonic laggy has actually bothered to play him, or are just repeating what was said about him days after release when people whinged about his fsmash having a start up time. its not like many other characters dont have a wind up of some sort on their smashes (except wolf >_>)

and st viers knows stuff. sonics u-air goes through TL, G&W d-air. ive seen it happen :O

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Seen his match ups? How about played his match ups on both sides of the match up and seen and heard many many times regarding all of them? Have you? Have the people making these threads actually played or SEEN? Somehow I highly doubt that whatever info you've been given is correct, maybe it was but it was out powered by the false lol

Again, Marth, G&W and MK. That's exactly what I said. Anyone else? I have yet to see it. Zelda can, sometimes a few others but not much. And when Charizard is gone, he can take the other two at least equally. That is another decent disadvantage like Zelda so her and PT after those big 3 rangies. There, 5 out of 36ish is pretty bad I guess *rolls eyes* heheh yep
Also, the Ness vs DK is very even. Ness has huge priority or him, aerial speed, projectiles and hitboxes that swarm DK. If not, Ness > DK when you include spiking and Ness' huge advantage over generally large characters. Not to mention Ness bair will go through almost anything DK has. So much for DKs versitile approach, evade, ko, etc bair control game.
Snake > almost everyone really and Ness is less < Snake than most. Could be even too, 0-deaths aren't too hard because of the heavy character+bad air+imobile thing.

Luigi does counter them lol

Who has the worst? Ike? I'd agree with that ;)

Yoshi has incredible match ups
Where have you collected your facts about match-ups? I have been on these charcaters threads and they state completly different things.
Where are you getting the information on luigi and ness's match-ups?
Luigi's match-up thread is not even done missing a majority of the cast and the general match-up thread concludes snake, mk, and Dk all have advantage over luigi.

As for ness having good match-ups, where are you getting this info?
That match-up thread refered me to the match-up chart Ivaneva created where ness is hard countered by marth,Charizard, and G&W and has more disadvantages than advatages and neutrals combined, those are not good match-ups.

Also where do you get the information about yoshi's match-ups? The yoshi match-up thread doesent in just a general disscussion that doesent set any thing stated in stone, while the match-up chart(the only thing I can refer to for decent evidence in this case when the characters dont really have a true match-up thread) give yoshi only one situation where he has the advantage, thats compteting for one of the worst all around match-ups in brawl, rivaling ganon.

Your information about these match-ups seems very biased and coming from unknown sources, while I have been to ALL the match-up threads on smashboards to produce my tier list. Cite your soucres next time or send me a video of luigi countering a good snake,MK,DK and then I can believe your statements about these match-ups.

Putting that aside I have edited my tier list to the comments and further evidence I have found. Mario will be slightly raised and bowser will be put into the low tier. As for Yoshi, he has done the worst out of all the characters in brawl in tournaments and has really bad match-ups so I cannot put him into the low tier unless I am given more evidnce beacuse yoshi does not seem to thrive at this stage in the metagame and in tournaments.

Low tier
Sonic
Shiek
Peach
Ness
Ike
Luigi
Link
Mario
(Squirtle)
(Charizard) }PT
(Ivysuar)
Samus
Bowser

Other candidates for the bottom of the low(Jiggs,Yoshi)
Please help by suggesting revision with evidence, so that we can make this list more accurate that can fully describe the current metagame
@saxdude93 lol I edited it with spaces now

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
I think Snake will die down a bit as the game progresses. By the second tier list he will be behind Meta Knight by than.

He's so simple, well figure em out eventually

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I feel like I'm backed up against a wall by St. Vier's, Kiwikomix, and Shadowlink. Anything I say will be analyzed and used against me. Now to choose my words well...please don't bring my actual skill level into this since you have never played me. I would play you on wifi but mine is broken. i will get it fixed soon. now I will have a real discussion about sonic some other time, but I can't right now.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Pfft. I'm doing my best not to make anyone uncomfortable but... eh.
Here you go, there's no wall there anymore. Back away if you want to. Be careful what you post though... people tend to be very defensive about their mains on this thread.

Welcome to SWF! :D

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@djbrowny--I llurk a ****load...I try to know as much as I can about EVERY char/aspect of this game.

Plus, I have to admit that you and shadowlink made me look at sonic again >_>

Dik-Dik

Smash Rookie
Hmm... I've been waiting to post this for a while, but I honestly don't believe a tier list should be posted, it will only end up in players of "low tier characters" debating and flaming others. In all seriousness after playing brawl for this time and trying each character. The characters have all been balanced so evenly that I don't believe that anyone is high tier, no one is low tier, everyone is just balanced, (Btw THANK YOU Sakurai) each character have certain attributes that make them good. Sure you may be reading this and thinking "HECK NO YOSHI SUCKS HE CAN'T DO ****" well have you ever looked at a good player who can combo dairs and spike using Yoshi's fair correctly. Even Game & Watch (I alt. him and Kirby, and main Ness) has his dthrow dsmash combo and his chained bairs. Once this list is posted people who play low tier characters will defend the character, same with people and their console, if you bought a PS3 you will justify your purchase with Blue-Ray, if you bought a X-Box 360 you will defend yourself with the huge game library of FPS's, and so on. Although no one will read this whole post... just think about it this way, characters have their good and their bad, some play characters that fit their style of game play. If you are playing by tiers, by that I mean playing characters listed as "TOP TIER" thinking Sakurai was biased in creating said character. Remember, tier lists are constantly changed due to the metagame of a character. Now most people won't even read this and disregard my comments and go on spamming "OMG WHY IS SO AND SO AT THE BOTTOM HE SHOULD BE HIGH TIER ASOJFALSDKFJSLDJ". Well I'm done, for those who actually read this thank you for taking the time out to read this.

Edit: Also adding on, we shouldn't only base our tier list off of MLG Tournys, thats a little ridiculous, after all they all main the Spaceys, Marth, Shiek. So think if all the "Pros" used mains like Bowser (heh Gimpy), or Yoshi, how about DK? So there is really no reason we should have a tier list, it will only spawn useless debate. Think of it like this if I main Game & Watch who is considered one of the WORST person in Brawl and I become the best MLG player then wouldn't people follow in my footsteps and then a sudden shift in meta game will lead to him being the top of the tiers, its happened before, look at how Ice Climbers in SSBM were once low tier but they turned into high tier characters, but it wasn't them changing, it was us, us adapting to their way of play. So I REALLY believe a tier list is useless and not needed... but most of you will skip this post or think nothing of it...

Dik-Dik

Smash Rookie
Adding on even more, match ups mean absolutely nothing when people are better players than others, they have different playing styles so how can you base match ups when people play differently, they have different skill levels and in general just can't play a certain character well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom