• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
It's very simple blu, lack of use.

Truthfully, I was a afraid for a while back there that she might be stuck down in low tier but now that she seen to be in middle to everyone understanding I can't help but want a higher placing.

Sheik/Zelda for high tier ^____^

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Aside from the F Tilt lock she has on some characters, what "Real" combos does she have? You still can't ignore the fact Sheik has crappy killing potential (And cannot back it up unlike MK), a bad size/weight ratio, Bad matchups in comparision to Zelda, and as for right now, places even worse than Zelda does.

Sheik may and probably will rise, but she will probably never rise above Mid-Mid, which is as far as Zelda would probably drop, not with mch better characters around her competing for a better spot as well.
Ahh, well what makes Sheik better then the rest of the roster is that she can deal out damage quicker then anyone else without in danger of getting hurt. Meta knight is a beast that's already been establish but he can't rack up damage as quickly as a good sheik.

Oh and besides the tilt lock she has a grab game that can lead into a hit, I am not bull **** you this is a fact or into a easily follow air dodge chase game.

Her ftilt can also set people up in consecutive hit combos into her strong nair from 30 to 70% Theses number varies.

She can also put fastfalls into a two hit dtilt lock that's also consecutive hit within the lower percents.

Those are all the "true" combos I can really think of but like everyone she also have none true combos as well.

By the way Sheik can do real combos between 20-80% on most of the roster and once you raise their damage to around 100 a easy switch to Zelda means the next time you hit them they will die.

This is why I think we should have an sheik/Zelda slot

EDIT: ****! MY ****ING FIRST DOUBLE POST! **** IT!

chckn

Smash Ace
Please do not tell me that you just said sheik can deal out damage better than mk -_-, lol and yeah I was like double post? lolol

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Please do not tell me that you just said sheik can deal out damage better than mk -_-, lol and yeah I was like double post? lolol
It's true, fight a good meta knight and then fight a good Sheik you might lose faster to the meta knight but Sheik will always get you in the 100s with ease.

The fact of the matter is Meta knight can't combo very well no one can really...he just has a lot of good damage dealing moves and has good range with his attacks. Even so Sheik has more potential to deal damage out faster in general against most characters.

Ironically sheik vs meta knight is like Sheik worst match up right after the ice climbers because she can’t rack up damage on him very easily…

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Tristan Win, tiers don't decide how good a character is, if Snake was placed in low tier, would that make him a worse character?

It's just placement, it doesn't affect the character

chckn

Smash Ace
Tristan Win, tiers don't decide how good a character is, if Snake was placed in low tier, would that make him a worse character?

-________- snake would not be placed in low tier by anyone with half a brain. Tier lists arent randomly generated, theyre created after tons and tons of reaserch. What is being created now by the people on this thread is not a finalized tier list, but more of a speculation as to what the tier list that the SBR will put out. gg

Tristan_win

Not dead.

Yes it does, higher rank characters gain more popularity and with that bonus of frame more people start using them.

Because of the increases number of people using a said character that character own meta game develops at a quicken rate compared to someone in the low tier.

Although the tier list is base largely on characters potential, tournaments standing also hold a important part. Because of this characters such as mewtwo and pichu end up at the bottom while more natural popular characters such as Kirby remain higher then them even though Kirby suck no pun intended

The only reason I’m here right now is to spawn interest in Sheik and give my view as in why sheik doesn't suck.

bigman40

Smash Master
Tiers are showing how characters are against one another overall. For you to say something like that Rex, you're blinded from the real meaning of tiers.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
All I see tiers as are rankings as to who is more likely to win tournaments. As to how good the character is overall, that's very subjective and open to interpretation. A separate list should be made for that, b/c tournaments don't define which characters are better than others, but rather who is better in the tourney scene.(obviously, right?)

Ex.
-Olimar is beat hard by MK.
-He wins in almost every category of there game and MK's strengths directly combat against Oli's weaknesses..
-MK is a very popular character.
-Olimar quite frankly isn't.
-Olimar is hurt by MK in tournaments moreso than most characters.
-thus it's reflected in tourney rankings.
-Olimar is considered lower in tiers than Wario.

Does that mean that Wario better as a character overall?-that he's not hurt so bad by one of the most popular characters in tourneys? I don't think so.

All I see tiers as are rankings as to who is more likely to win tournaments. As to how good the character is overall, that's very subjective and open to interpretation. A separate list should be made for that, b/c tournaments don't define which characters are better than others.
ON the contrary, they DO show/define which characters are best in actual experimental data gathered from tournaments.

Factual Data>>>Theory, and that's a concept many here don't seem to understand oddly.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
yes NSS, that's very true. And that's a big reason why I like Olimar. He's VERY close to top tier potentially IMO, but no-one really realizes it yet, and until MK is banned(which won't ever happen) Olimar will never rise past high tier. It's sad, but funny for me to know as well.

Edit: what are you talking about cid.

Nestec

Smash Ace
I don't know what he's talking about, but it just reminded me of Captain Falcon's nerf...T__T

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
All I know is that Olimar is a HARD Snake counter. As in, worse than ROB, lol. So perhaps there is some semblance balance there. He gets the **** by MK, but dishes it out to Snake.

Karl

Smash Rookie
I'm against tiers, but if I had to say, Link, Falco, Wolf, Diddy Kong, D3, and ROB are top tier.
Everyone else, including Ike, are middle/upper tier.

Really, the characters are actually quite balanced.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I love how Gimpyfish is constantly used as an example of how tiers are wrong, yet he admits that Bowser in Melee was a terrible character and he doesn't use him in tournaments.

yes NSS, that's very true. And that's a big reason why I like Olimar. He's VERY close to top tier potentially IMO, but no-one really realizes it yet, and until MK is banned(which won't ever happen) Olimar will never rise past high tier. It's sad, but funny for me to know as well.

Edit: what are you talking about cid.
I think it's more than just MK holding Olimar back *CoughrecoveryCough* >_>. You could ban MK (Altough Snake warrants a ban before anyone else for the sake of fairness) and Olimar STILL would probably not climb all that higher.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I think it's more than just MK holding Olimar back *CoughrecoveryCough* >_>. You could ban MK (Altough Snake warrants a ban before anyone else for the sake of fairness) and Olimar STILL would probably not climb all that higher.
Actually, no.

Interestingly enough, Snake's legality limits the number of tournament-usable characters then metaknight.

Really Snake wins the most because he has good match-ups overall AND beats metaknight. The good match-ups allows him to not be walled early in the tournaments (like DK can be), and beating Metaknight allows him to win at the end.

However, metaknight is a "pick up and play" character, so there's a glut of users, and he's powerful enough and has enough good match-ups to wall the vast majority of the cast.

Sheik had the same effect in melee actually.

So yeah, MK deserves the ban hammer first if anything, that will make so much more of the cast tournament-viable. Plus, we'll probably see a lot more snake counters actually making it to finals vs. snake without MK so he'll probably go down in tiers as well. Because currently, you really have to be a LOT better then everyone else OR beat both MK and Snake in match-ups in order to win.

Not that I'm advocating banning anyone, just pointing out that banning isn't always obvious. The point of banning isn't to remove the most powerful character, it's to increase the number of tournament viable characters. The best way to do that in the current Brawl metagame is ban MK.

Sorry Nigerian Star Storm :( just telling it like it is.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I have been gone for a while, but after skimming through some parts of the thread, it still seems some people are still saying Brawl does not need a tier list whether by negative feelings towards tier lists or they beleive Brawl is balanced. I found some matches while on Youtube to help illustrate tiers (however slightly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62BxoodIjEA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6w2ZIMAnWEc

(note in the second one, more often than not, the Jigglypuff's approach was shut down by the Toon Link or blocked/dodged and countered.)

Tiers do exist so do not make posts bashing tier lists because not only are these posts not on topic, but they are also incorrect. I just posted this for reference to anybody wanting to start an argument on tiers in this topic.

Also, does anyone beleive that we should have a really giant low/bottom tier like in the last melee tier list since Metaknight and Snake already seem to be pushing the metagame in that direction.

Actually, no.

Interestingly enough, Snake's legality limits the number of tournament-usable characters then metaknight.

Really Snake wins the most because he has good match-ups overall AND beats metaknight. The good match-ups allows him to not be walled early in the tournaments (like DK can be), and beating Metaknight allows him to win at the end.

However, metaknight is a "pick up and play" character, so there's a glut of users, and he's powerful enough and has enough good match-ups to wall the vast majority of the cast.

Sheik had the same effect in melee actually.

So yeah, MK deserves the ban hammer first if anything, that will make so much more of the cast tournament-viable. Plus, we'll probably see a lot more snake counters actually making it to finals vs. snake without MK so he'll probably go down in tiers as well. Because currently, you really have to be a LOT better then everyone else OR beat both MK and Snake in match-ups in order to win.

Not that I'm advocating banning anyone, just pointing out that banning isn't always obvious. The point of banning isn't to remove the most powerful character, it's to increase the number of tournament viable characters. The best way to do that in the current Brawl metagame is ban MK.

Sorry Nigerian Star Storm :( just telling it like it is.

I get it, Chozen brought up the same point a while ago. Really MK is Brawl's Sheik, didn't everyon3e whine abour her intiallly?

And the only reason I brought Snake into the matter was the fact He's actually dominating in actual experimental occurensesm I mean before Summer 08 didn't Snake have like, more wins than the E, D, and maybe C rank combined? That's insane.

Both are pretty **** powerful regardless.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I get it, Chozen brought up the same point a while ago. Really MK is Brawl's Sheik, didn't everyon3e whine abour her intiallly?

And the only reason I brought Snake into the matter was the fact He's actually dominating in actual experimental occurensesm I mean before Summer 08 didn't Snake have like, more wins than the E, D, and maybe C rank combined? That's insane.

Both are pretty **** powerful regardless.
I'm not saying that Snake doesn't actually win generally, but remember Sheik wasn't the top melee character either.

Both Sheik and MK function to "clear the field", their ease of play (relatively speaking) and general power allow them to functionally eliminate the vast majority of the cast in the early stages of tournaments.

Sure, they ultimately get beaten by Snakes (most of the time), but tournament victory isn't the point when banning characters. It's opening the field of tournament viable characters.

In essence, the reason Snake wins most of the time is that the final match is MK main vs. Snake main.

Without MK, this wouldn't happen, sure there'd be two most common characters, but nobody is both as overpowering to the majority of the cast and easy to play at a high level as MK, so the variety of characters in tournament finals will increase.

Heck, without MK, Snake may be knocked off his throne.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Yes we all know Olimar has amazing potential but I am starting to think that Olimar's true potential is unobtainable. I mean how is anyone ever going to get good enough to not only micromanage all the pikmin perfectly and be able to use latch to its highest potency consistently?

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
Yes it does, higher rank characters gain more popularity and with that bonus of frame more people start using them.

Because of the increases number of people using a said character that character own meta game develops at a quicken rate compared to someone in the low tier.

Although the tier list is base largely on characters potential, tournaments standing also hold a important part. Because of this characters such as mewtwo and pichu end up at the bottom while more natural popular characters such as Kirby remain higher then them even though Kirby suck no pun intended

The only reason I’m here right now is to spawn interest in Sheik and give my view as in why sheik doesn't suck.
Does popularity change properties, moves, weight or anything of the sort?

No. No matter what a character ITSELF is always the same nothing makes the character worse, unless a major flaw or ATis discovered.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Does popularity change properties, moves, weight or anything of the sort?

No. No matter what a character ITSELF is always the same nothing makes the character worse, unless a major flaw or ATis discovered.
His point is that this means that major flaws or ATs are NOT discovered.

Or even more effective ways of using existing attributes.

I'm not saying that Snake doesn't actually win generally, but remember Sheik wasn't the top melee character either.

Both Sheik and MK function to "clear the field", their ease of play (relatively speaking) and general power allow them to functionally eliminate the vast majority of the cast in the early stages of tournaments.

Sure, they ultimately get beaten by Snakes (most of the time), but tournament victory isn't the point when banning characters. It's opening the field of tournament viable characters.

In essence, the reason Snake wins most of the time is that the final match is MK main vs. Snake main.

Without MK, this wouldn't happen, sure there'd be two most common characters, but nobody is both as overpowering to the majority of the cast and easy to play at a high level as MK, so the variety of characters in tournament finals will increase.

Heck, without MK, Snake may be knocked off his throne.

Even though this is true, it's all for naught really. We don't ban things for balance reasons, we only ban things if it's anti-competitive, remember?

Neither are really to the point of SSFT2 Akuma >_>.

Edit:I got suspended from Gamefaqs, AGAIN.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Even though this is true, it's all for naught really. We don't ban things for balance reasons, we only ban things if it's anti-competitive, remember?

Neither are really to the point of SSFT2 Akuma >_>.

Edit:I got suspended from Gamefaqs, AGAIN.
Actually no, widening the field is the ONLY reason why we ban competitively. It's a question of proportions of course.

(I love how you mentioned Akuma, because I'm going to bring up another character that functions like MK in the same game that's soft-banned in Japan)

However like Old Sagat in Super Turbo, Mk is not suggested as the most likely banned character because he's "too good", otherwise Snake would be the obvious choice, and "too good" is a scrub excuse anyway.

Instead, it's because he makes so many characters inviable in tournaments.

I'd suggest checking Sirlin's guide to competitive gaming for a complete explanation, but as the metagame matures, if MK stays about the same in this regard, he might suffer a ban.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
so @ this point we know the best characters in the game are:

metaknight
snake
rob
dedede
falco
g&w
olimar
marth
wario(debatable)
pit(debatable)

and the worst characters:

samus(debatable)
peach(debatable)
link
falcon
jiggly
yoshi

with the rest somewhere inbetween

is this accurate?

*also i think ike and toon link are good characters contrary to their almost non existent usage in recent tournies.

Actually no, widening the field is the ONLY reason why we ban competitively. It's a question of proportions of course.

(I love how you mentioned Akuma, because I'm going to bring up another character that functions like MK in the same game that's soft-banned in Japan)

However like Old Sagat in Super Turbo, Mk is not suggested as the most likely banned character because he's "too good", otherwise Snake would be the obvious choice, and "too good" is a scrub excuse anyway.

I'd suggest checking Sirlin's guide to competitive gaming for a complete explanation, but as the metagame matures, if MK stays about the same in this regard, he might suffer a ban.
But once again this brings up the point.

MK is functioning like Sheik was in Melee early, like, almost exactly. Sheik alone made many characters unviable in tournaments. Now why exactly would we ban (or even soft ban) MK in tournaments if we never did the same for Sheik when she had an effect just about as big as MK? Not to mention Sheik actually had the tournament results to back up her percieved brokenness, MK does not and from what I've seen outside of the MD/VA region is actually Slowing down. I actually do not see all that many Texas Brawlers use MK, it actually seems to be a decent mix of character luckily. It wouldn't really be fair to ban MK if we never did the same to Sheik, not to mention it would seem inconsistent on part of the Smash community, and make us look even worse in the eyes of casual players.

Now will people get around them like Sheik in Melee? Of course they will eventually, but how long it may take is the question since Brawl's general mechanics are different than Melee's. SamuraiPanda has argued this issue before already.

But anyways, like try to get off the discussion of the bannantion of my main pl0x >_>.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

Since when has Pikachu/Olimar/Pit/Wolf/Lucario/DDD/anybody presumed to be in mid tier or lower had matchups as bad as Shiek vs. Bowser in Melee. Metaknight will never warrent a ban because he is a effective instrument in a competetive enviroment while at the same time not being the Akuma of Brawl.

Metaknight does dominate most of the cast, but he does not obliterate them into separate atoms. The other characters are viable, people who knowingly choose them just need to work (a LOT) harder. Metaknight has proven to be an effective tool in winning and that is why it is inconcevible to ban him. The other competitors just have to make up for their lesser main with more skill.

I am aware this is merely speculation, but Metaknight will not be banned for merely being too good.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
lol, metaknight wont be banned, snake,rob,olimar,ike,wario,falco probly more can all do well against him... but ya he still probly has the slight advantage over all of them except snake, as time goes on there will be more and more strategies of countering him, but still dont ever see him falling out of top tier, if snake isnt alone in top.

gantrain05

Smash Master
so @ this point we know the best characters in the game are:

metaknight
snake
rob
dedede
falco
g&w
olimar
marth
wario(debatable)
pit(debatable)

and the worst characters:

samus(debatable)
peach(debatable)
link
falcon
jiggly
yoshi

with the rest somewhere inbetween

is this accurate?

*also i think ike and toon link are good characters contrary to their almost non existent usage in recent tournies.
nope, peach is not even debatable, she's not even close to any of the worst characters, she's miles above them, and ike just isn't a good character, but anyways.

On to the metaknight ban, i don't know, yeah shiek was good in melee blah blah blah, but she wasn't broken, but you had AT's to help u out against her, most of the cast actually DID stand a chance, but there were a select few who were just aweful, like bowser and pichu. however in brawl, in my experience with MK, he has a bigger advantage over the rest of the cast than shiek ever had in melee, she was good, but even at her prime, marths, foxes, falcos, dr mario, and even samus did well against her, and thats with a much smaller cast of characters, but in Brawl there are really only a very very few characters that counter MK and even if they did counter him you still have to be a much better player than the MK player, because of the physics of the game i don't think MK is gonna go down anytime soon. but i wouldn't say ban MK just cuz he's a good character and has way too many followers, let the game settle a bit, develop the metagame and see where it goes, and in 2 years if he's still just dominating everything then maybe a ban then lol.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Let me be clear on this, I AM NOT SUGGESTING WE BAN MK, either now or in the future. I'm merely pointing out that from a competitive prospective he warrants it most currently.

lol, metaknight wont be banned, snake,rob,olimar,ike,wario,falco probly more can all do well against him... but ya he still probly has the slight advantage over all of them except snake, as time goes on there will be more and more strategies of countering him, but still dont ever see him falling out of top tier, if snake isnt alone in top.
Not about brokenness, it's about limiting the number of possible characters that can compete in tournaments.

A char could be mid tier and significantly limit the number of tournament viable characters.

Since when has Pikachu/Olimar/Pit/Wolf/Lucario/DDD/anybody presumed to be in mid tier or lower had matchups as bad as Shiek vs. Bowser in Melee. Metaknight will never warrent a ban because he is a effective instrument in a competetive enviroment while at the same time not being the Akuma of Brawl.

Metaknight does dominate most of the cast, but he does not obliterate them into separate atoms. The other characters are viable, people who knowingly choose them just need to work (a LOT) harder. Metaknight has proven to be an effective tool in winning and that is why it is inconcevible to ban him. The other competitors just have to make up for their lesser main with more skill.

I am aware this is merely speculation, but Metaknight will not be banned for merely being too good.
Who's talking about Akuma? I'm talking about Old Sagat. You might want to read a bit down on the link I provided.

He's gotten the same treatment as Akuma in Japan, and he does exactly what MK and Sheik do in Brawl and Melee respectively (though the concensus seems to be that MK is considerably better at it, not with all characters, but overall against the cast).

I'm not saying that we SHOULD do it. Certainly not now, Brawl's metagame is far too young to accurately judge whether MK limits the field enough to warrant this. However, he certainly is the most warranted and likely candidate.

But once again this brings up the point.

MK is functioning like Sheik was in Melee early, like, almost exactly. Sheik alone made many characters unviable in tournaments. Now why exactly would we ban (or even soft ban) MK in tournaments if we never did the same for Sheik when she had an effect just about as big as MK? Not to mention Sheik actually had the tournament results to back up her percieved brokenness, MK does not and from what I've seen outside of the MD/VA region is actually Slowing down. I actually do not see all that many Texas Brawlers use MK, it actually seems to be a decent mix of character luckily. It wouldn't really be fair to ban MK if we never did the same to Sheik, not to mention it would seem inconsistent on part of the Smash community, and make us look even worse in the eyes of casual players.

Now will people get around them like Sheik in Melee? Of course they will eventually, but how long it may take is the question since Brawl's general mechanics are different than Melee's. SamuraiPanda has argued this issue before already.

But anyways, like try to get off the discussion of the bannantion of my main pl0x >_>.
Well, right now the consensus seems to be that MK is better then Sheik at doing the important thing, limiting the field. That said, Sheik might even deserve it, if we use the same standards as were used for Old Sagat's soft ban (my poor melee main, one of them anyway).

As for MK slowing down and people getting around him, that's why I'm not suggesting it for now, the metagame is FAR too immature for us to consider banning a character for limiting the field, because in a few months some new AT might make him not limit the field at all.

Still, as of right now, he is the most justifiable character for banning.

Because as far as banning is concerned, brokenness doesn't really matter at all. the important thing is how much the char limits which characters are tournament viable. Granted, characters generally are broken that do this. But if a character that has not won a single tournament rips up 90% of the cast, ban him/her/it/potato.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Ah hell why not, I've always wanted to do a tier list just for fun and this seems like a good time to take a shot at it, eh? I'll be basing my tier off data here on the Boards as well as what I've seen going on in local tournaments and tournaments aquaintences have run at some cons. Feel free to tear it apart. Come on it will be fun, you know you want to!

God Tier
Snake- Well, duh. Snake's biggest weakness seems to be, he doesn't adapt well to some stages, which is a pretty ull point as most tournament stages are perfect for him. Allowing to him to effective shut off platforms with mines and C4, and Snake Slide for great position and approach at ease. His recovery can get gimped by the stage itself (especially on FD, and in some tournaments around here, has actually cost him victory) but that doesn't seem to matter as it also has some of the most insane Super Armor in the game as well.

Metaknight- Excellent priority and approach. His Downsmash comes out instantly, and hits both sides allowing him to easily pick up kills after racking up damage with his great speed and multiple hitting moves. I don't see his popularity waning anytime soon, though in my local scene he isn't very popular. Those who do use him, tend to do very well.

High Tier

Mr. Game & Watch- Oh how far you have come. **** Yeah. One of my Melee mains returns and in a big way. I'm very happy to see him so vastly improved in just about every department (You may have noticed lvl 9 Hammer even comes up an almost ludicrously common amount now but maybe that's just me). The only thing he seems to have lost is the ability to pick off easy kills with Dtilt. Oh well. Having a favorable machup with almost every character in the game now doesnt hurt and zero lag touchdown on his Dair combos allows for great follow ups

R.O.B.- My Brawl main since it came out, I was generally surprised to find he didn't suck. Even more surprised when other people -agreed- with me for once. Even when not charged ROBlaser is great for poking and just generally stopping moves with nice priority. his Air moves are powerful with disjointed hit boxes, a trait he shares with Game and watch but his Dair has far too much windup lag. On the other hand, the ability to create your own temporary item can come in handy as well. I expect to see much more of ROB in tournament play, especially as a counterpick to Snake, which may necessatite his use even more with Snake's popularity.

Marth- As a youtube video put it: Yep. Still gay. Tipping seems to be easier than ever now and exceedingly more brutal to your opposition. Fun Fact: DIing back out of Pit's Forward B puts Pit in exact tipping range for FSmash. Catching opponents under the stage ledge with dolphin slash is proving quite effective for lower damage KOs as well. Throw in the fact he has favorable matchups with the rest of his tier for the most part and makes a great counter pick to Meta-knight and you have a great character. His real weakness lies in a vulnerability to projectile spam.

Falco-I really wanted to bump him as he has won most of the tournaments in my city., but the data just doesn't agree. He will probably never be as popular as the above two mentioned fighters though and does seem to be having some trouble performing nationwide. Still I'm leaving him in high tier for having a great projectile, and the ability to shut off most ground aproaches with his Shine.

King Dedede- Chain grab is amazingly good against quite a few characters, with infinites on a few as well. Even luigi gets infinite grabbed despite his slide. Poor guy. Downside? So freaking huge. Dedede wouls see a lot more play if he could get around the stage anymore. Instead, he'll be rounding out the bottom of the high tier. But Swallow is always great for suicide and Waddle Dee's actually gimp some character's recoveries (especially the ever Popular Ike's Side B) And Even make for a nice projectile shield since he can't duck. He's very vulenerable to short hop approaches from fast characters, falling back on powershielding into grabs to protect himself.

Mid-tier

Wario- It's crowded in mid-tier. Where to start? Wario's bike is very nice. In Doubles play it makes for a great way to break up a gang **** on your buddy and a well-timed wheeling can protect him from moves that would otherwise knock him off. Bite has great priority and damage, forcing characters to rethink a frontal assault. Up B can be very powerful when landed correctly and Uair is just fantastic. Downside, his Smash moves are pretty terrible for rang, and DSmash is lagtastic, putting him just barely down a tier on my list.

Olimar- I'll probably be chided for having him not in High tier, but my reasoning is as follows: When you can be consistently gimped by every character in the game at under 50% damage you probably arent high tier. Olimar needs to have a purple pikmin ready just in case to save his recovery. All of his strengths are very obvious, he just has one major glaring weakness that can't be overlooked. I think his poor performance in tournaments so far reflects this.

Pikachu- Ah spammy goodness. He may not be the most interesting character to fight when ninety percent of the match consists of four moves, but boy are those moves very effective (-super- effective?). It's a good thing his hard to control final smash doesn't factor into this at all. He has a decent enough projectile, Thunder is beefed up very nicely with most of the horrid lag from it removed and DSmash is his new best friend. Sweet spotting his recovery is no problem whatsoever and it's great maneuverabilitiy allows him to GTFO of the way before someone meteors him down to his death.

Pit- Mirror Shield is great for gimping Lucas as well as a few others like Squirtle, but most satisfying with Lucas. Oh so satisfying. Arrows are annoying though low damage and the Rings comes out fast while still reflecting projectiles, the lag after using the move can be a problem though. Air moves are excellent. His recovery is good, as he is rarely forced to use the gimpable Wings of Icarus to live if knocked out to sides. He shares alot of the same qualities as Meta-knight but with the problem of not having as reliable of a KO move, or as much speed.

Toon Link- Camp-o-matic 5000. He and Pit love to sit back and just spam away and Toon Link has three options to choose from. His Bombs are just light years better than Link's with increased range and help to clear the edge when coming back from the stage. He also sports a handy recovery glitch if you wish to put it to use without your opponent smacking you in the head for being an ***. His Dair stops momentum and really deals the hurt with a little bit of push to the sides to give him breathing space. He wishes his grabs were's quite so bad and his recovery went farther, but he certainly outpaces Young Link from Melee and this version's Link. FSmash is ouch.

Lucas- First off, with the ability to absorb some projectile, heal himself, and deal damage with the same move, you have to give it to Lucas for captain of multi-tasking. FSmash is strong and reflects, which is handy, and PK Thunder loves to gimp some Pit players whenever it can. His projectile spam is pretty good but a miscalculation in PK Thunder is devastating. He at least can't be gimped in the same way Ness can and USmash when it hits is brutal.

Kirby- Kirby is back with a vengeance from his old incarnation. Love his new improvements, but he's just not performing as well as I expected him to at this point in time. His poor reach is probably the cause of this. At least he can steal useful Nuetral Specials for his own. HIs approaches are fairly nice as well. A very balanced character is Kirby.

Peach- Peach loves it when she draws out a beam sword. Item creation is pretty handy at times, but can backfire on her. Her nerfed recovery hurts Peach as well, but her amazing air moves and the ability to basically use them while on the ground, keep her from being terrible by far. Her turnips add unpredictability and the rare last minute saving grace.

Zelda- Din's Fire is just amazing now. It's increased blast radius took it from gimmicky to good. The ability to juggle and chase character without physically moving is great. She has a decent shield, but it doesn't last as long as it used to, nor does it have the same knockback and priority it did in melee as a distancing attack. The Fair/Bair kick seems to have been slightly nerfed as well and Dair isn't seeing as much use as I thought it might. She seems to be very campy, but can be overwhelmed easily in close quarters at times.

Wolf- Is Fox being cloned, or is Fox the clone himself when both his other incarnations are better than him? Wolf comes with a great projectil that works wonders for extra damage at close range, and an interesting assortment of multi-hit move. His Dtilt can trip a foe up and USmash and FSmash are excellent hill moves. DSmash sweeps both sides. He seems to have it all wrapped up, but his recovery needs some help. Trying to sweetspot with Wolf Flash can be difficult and just fail sometimes. Being the fastest faller is not a plus either. Still, he continues to do well in tournaments and remains very popular, probably because he's just so cool. What's the matter, scared?

Ike- Anyone else tired of this guy yet? I can only blame his popularity on a few factors: Everyone likes big swords. Everyone likes bandanas and spikey hair. He's infinitely less gay looking than Roy. And Super Armor is awesome. Actually that appears to be the major extent of alot of Ike's strategy, to abuse his super armor. His strengths come in his nice approach with Bair as well as the armor and the ability to kill even Dedede at very low percentages. However, he has terrible recovery and is easily grabbed during the lag for most of his smashes.

Lucario- I've got him pretty low on this list I know, even though he's very popular in tournaments and has been performing well. However, I just see his lack in speed being a major determining facotr in his long term success. Extreme Speed, is neither very extreme, nor speedy for recovery. His Aura powers allow him to shine in longer matches, making him wish he could camp back and only absorb poke damage twer it not for the time limits. I ximply expect to see less of Lucario in the future, but still find him to be fairly powerful with good priority.

Zero Suit Samus- She does spawn with a nice advatage of a few projectile to throw. But letting the opponent gain control of those armor pieces can be a real problem. He recovery gets gimped and tryingto use DownB to jump can cause her to innitiate a wall jump off the edge of the stage limp to her death sometimes. Still, she has great air moves and plenty of nice combos. He main problem is lack of KOing power, leaving her at a disadvantage in longer fights considering she is pretty light.

Diddy Kong- Dance little Monkey Dance! Diddy can be a powerful opponent once he gets going, chaining bananas into some serious hurting. Break his chain up however and he tends to have trouble getting started immediately back up which leaves him in real trouble uder continue pressure. His recovery is pretty god awful, needing to be charge and capable of being gimped if he is tossed back off the stage after losing his rockets. His projectile has a bad arc and a chance of healing the opponent. For such a small and fast character though he has great KO power.

Low Tier

Luigi- Luigi has some serious improvements in his recovery and needs to take full advantage of that. He can still be edgeguarded almost too easily though. His prjectile has a poor range and speed, but Luigi Tornado has been buffed incredibly, making it a great approach. His air moves still pack that insane punch as well. And stop trying to spam the UpB you noobs for that perfect KO. You probably could have killed them a thousand times over by then with something else.

Ice Climbers- Ice Climbers can reflect projectiles now. Yay. Uptilt isnt quite as great as it used to be and Nana's lag in shielding and dodging leaves her on the recieving end of many a buttrape. Grabs are still excellent, and the fact Nana can't edge guard you like a ***** is a great improvement as well. Ice Climbers probably won't be seeing much play in tournaments in the future though. Dair is rather slow and lack luster as well, though they can sweet spot the edge and recover from just about any distance away on any stage.

Sonic- Most hyped character but probably one of the least impressive. Reallies on alot of mind games to be fully effective in switching up his specials.His approach is good but very predictable as it gets spammed constantly. Throws are pretty good as well and air attacks are excellent. The spring can gimp some character's recoveries hilariously. Biiiig lag though in his attacks really hurts him. Trying to actually nail those KO moves can be a real problem. His recovery is good but wholly predictable as well and occasionally he SDs off of Dair.

Shiek- Shiek still has her uses but her days of ruling the crop are over. Improvements to only a few moves, with nerfs to almost everything else, really hurt her beyond repair. She desperately wants her KO power back. Still, she has a great speed and manueverability and punishes mistakes hard. Tether recovery is mostly gimmicky, but kind of fun to watch I guess. Improved blast radius on her Vanish helps out her kill moves, but unlike Zelda she doesn't damage on reappearing. Requires some precise timing, but usable.

Mario- The Capse just isn't as good as it was, and FLUDD is a poor replacement for the Tornado. It can lead to funny gimps on some characters with a mostly straight up recovery, notably Snake and Ike and Kirby who can be killed by it while on the ground if using his UpB. Mario has some good air moves, nice priority a balanced speed, and is all around easy to handle. He makes a good character for beginners of course, but in the long run can't keep up in competitive play like others. Hes just -too- balanced.

Donkey Kong- Added because somebody actually noticed he was missing, ****. Um, let's see, Donkey's got him some nice reach Super Armor on his punch now but only when fully charged. Has an overabundance of meteor smashes that all have the same problem of being very slow except his Dair which has an awkward range to it. His Kong Copter or whatever they call it, has him pratfalling now if he lands from too high, leaving extra lag time an already terrible move. On the up side, DK can KO like a beast and his excellent reach allows him to pul off some nice surprise kills.

Ness- Oh look, it's Lucas' older, not quite as good as him in almost anything, cousin Ness. Ness likes to attack with his high power and priority air moves, using his floaty nature to his advantage. His Shield "pushes" opponents a laughably short distance away making the feature pretty much useless for preventing much nor does it heal as much as Lucas' shield. His FSmash is much slower to land, and USmash and Dsmash lack the power, of Lucas' but rather need sweetspotting. Ness's worst problem is being gimp by anyone who jumps off the sage and leaps in front of PK Thunder before it can it himself, watching him then laughably fall to his doom.

Pokemon Trainer- You can't main three characters unfortunately. In my opinion Pokemon Trainer needs to work on balancing his team out a little more. The recovery on all three pokemon is rather awkward with Charizard getting very little lift ith his multiple jump and Fly not taking him all that high. He needs to use Gliding to return. He also has odd hit boxes and Rock Smash while powerful can be very difficult to hit on anyone not as big as Bowser. Squirle is fast, but has little else going for him inthe way of KO'ing power and Withdraw can be reverse by many strong attacks, sending him to his doom sometimes. Ivysaur seems to actually be the best of the three with a good projectile, a Fence of Pain and excellent FSmash as well as good air moves. However Tether recovery is his bain and the fatigue system wears on all three.

Samus- She got nerfed...so very bad...Missile aren't as good as they used to be and neither is the Charge beam. Samus has increased combo potential though and the ability to camp decently if she needs to. She just wishes she had more KOing strength. The tether deals damage in the air though which is nice and chaining the missiles together is a bit simpler than it was before. Still, I don't expect her to improve much in the tournament scene at all.

Bowser- Good tilts, with lots of improvements. Bowserside is fun, too bad the claw doesn't reach as far forward or even work the same as it used to but it's still an improvement in its own ways. Bowser's real main problem just lies in being a fat ******* who can't get the hell out of the way. He's seeing way more use now than before and I expect he may actually become much more popular. Shielding into Fortress or Bowser Bomb work wonders. He doesn't like being chain grabbed so easily though, nor being ***** by projectiles.

Captain Falcon- Ouch. Falcon Punch is improved, but everything else took a severe hit it seems. The knee o doom ust doesn't pack the same punch it used to, appearig to have a much smaller sweet spot on the move than previously. his power priority on his other specials and terrible recovery just don't help things at all. He still has decent smash attacks and his short hop approaching is rather good.

Bottom Tier

Link- Predictable as all hell, with inferior projectiles to Toom Link. Boomerang only hits one way and pulling the opponents towards him can lead to him eating a powerful smash attack in the process. His bombs have good power but poor range and the arrows now travel in an odd arc not allowing him to drop them off the edge of platforms on stages like battlefield anymore. Poor guy just doesn't deserve to be this way in my oppinion, but at least he got a few cool new costumes.

Yoshi- A good Yoshi player can really control the stage with the egg toss which is beefed up greatly especially for his recovery. However, the lag time during the egg throws leaves him vulnerable during any tiny miscalculaton during the throw and YOshi bomb doesn't pack the same punch it used to. His somewhat awkward smash attacks seem to be easily dodged or powershielded as well. The Egg Roll is completely shut down by some moves, or at least clashes for no Damage with a million others, not to mention the SD capabilities of it.

Ganondorf- You are old and slow and you should have brought your sword. He saw no real improvements this generation other than the ability to suivide which at least looks really freaking awesome. He did gain one combo as well, and the incredibly terrible UTilt is now and incredibly terrible Utilt that slightly pulls the opponent toward you if they are kind enough to stand still and not hit you.

Jigglypuff- The fact they nerfed Rest stuns me. It really does. The poisoning just isn't as cool as getting straight up KOs all the time. Sing is still pretty bad and only useful against the edge when used just right and only against idiots who don't jump to take advanateg of the no sleeping inthe air clause. Jiggly's air attacks are still great and it still has a master's stalling game under the stage with its multiple jumps and rising pound. However it has terrible range, extra attack lag on most smashes and is extremely light.
Absurdly biased. Please, nerfing Rest barely does little to Jiggly's game, why is she last? Ganondorf is not that bad either...what is it with the sword? Pikachu is another thing...four moves? What the hell are you smoking? You obviously know very little about him - I can name a lot more moves than 4 that I use in battle with him. You also forget QAC. As for Link, he isn't predictable, and just because Toon Link is better, does not mean that he should be near the bottom. Don't draw on rare examples or cheap, pointless play, such as Peach drawing a Beam Sword or the fact that you only relied on the knee when using Falcon.

A lot of your points did have something though - you criticised Ike and Wolf, and not just how they're so overused. Instead, something on gameplay. Overall, there are some corrections that should be made, but I'm not going to bother: I'd probably be just as biased. An okay Tier List.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom