• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Recommended Rule Set 3.1

Tesh

Smash Hero
Consistent results =/= fit for competition. You should probably stop citing that reason to back up your claim.

I wouldn't mind camping behind a glitched out wall of fire though.

@BPC, alot of people dont take mlg ruleset seriously at all.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
That's because a lot of people are pretty stupid.

And yes, consistent results DOES equal fit for competition, when it's not due to a degenerate tactic.

Also, lol @ bringing up an uncommon glitch as a reason to ban a stage.

Clearly, Castle Siege and Delfino must be banned because you MIGHT fall through them.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Not just yet BPC, I haven't yet added in YI:M or given custom stages their shot yet.

But yeah, other than that, get at me. :p

Tesh

Smash Hero
Lol, no its been like that before he did that. Also thats not cheese's fault any more than it would be my fault for timing you on with temple hyrule being legal. Thats the ruleset, and he wanted to win.

@bpc, some people claim you can trigger it on command, but i'm still waiting on proof. I actually WOULD like to camp behind that wall of fire.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Tesh: It's really easy. Set off two bomb blocks without getting hit by the explosion. Bam, wall of invisible fire.

Life

Smash Hero
@flayl Pretty sure that doesn't do it, based on prior experience with GG, but I can't prove that and perhaps I'm doing it wrong. For example, Pit @ GG fires an arrow into a bomb block that triggers another bomb block on the other side of the stage, and it doesn't do it, or Sonic does same but with usmash's invincibility frames instead of a projectile and doesn't do it either...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
If someone can replicate this glitch and show that it is easy and practical to perform in a match, (banking on how difficult it is to REMOVE the glitch), I would say that could be grounds for a stage ban.

Life

Smash Hero
If it's not the same frame, two bomb blocks on the side of the tower next to each other could be set off by Sonic's usmash... Ike's Aether underneath the tower... how often does that occur though?

Tesh

Smash Hero
I have yet to see an explanation for the glitch that I can believe. I have tried all of the theories I have heard. I really do think there is a random factor involved.

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
honestly, this has probably been suggested before, but why do we not turn pause off in tournament play? with mashing out of ICs/other peoples grabs, every now and again someone is accidentally going to hit pause. recently this has been a big issue with people trying to get other DQd, which is pretty lame in my opinion, but if one can't pause in the first place, there is n conflict. please correct me if i'm being stupid, just curious why this isn't in the ruleset

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I honestly don't see a problem with turning pause off, but there's probably something I'm forgetting about.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
The argument is "what if your controller breaks midround" or something, so you can pause and get a new one.

Although I'm pretty sure the batteries-dying-in-a-wiimote rule counteracts that exact logic (too bad, you should've changed your batteries. Being equivalent to "to bad, your controller should've been in better condition"

Although I guess it'd be used for Ref calls or something in the case of stalling? (EG: MK being under Halberd)

:nifty::leek:

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
The argument is "what if your controller breaks midround" or something, so you can pause and get a new one.

Although I'm pretty sure the batteries-dying-in-a-wiimote rule counteracts that exact logic (too bad, you should've changed your batteries. Being equivalent to "to bad, your controller should've been in better condition"

Although I guess it'd be used for Ref calls or something in the case of stalling? (EG: MK being under Halberd)

I've also heard people mention extreme situations, such as if a diabetic has an episode and needs to pause. (Or it might've been the opposite of diabetic? I can't remember, I just know it was health problems.)

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Pause should be turned off to avoid random pausing. However, there should be an exception for:
-Controller malfunctions (that includes loss of battery power or controller breaking)
-Excessive physical harassment from audience or opposing player
-Medical emergency
(Obviously there could be more, just giving examples.)

With those situations, the game should be stopped by both players coming to rest and solving the issue, then the game resuming at the same time, damage and stocks it left off it.

Problem is, that'd be pretty hectic to take care of.

As an alternative, pausing can stay on, but with rulings such as these:

-If game is paused during match for no external reason other than the mistake of the player, the player should lose one stock. If the player only has one stock when the pause occurs, said player should take X amount of damage before allowed to attack again

This is so that the player is penalized for the mistake, which is fair, but isn't completely at a loss because of what is usually a simple mistake. A loss of a stock or gain of damage seems more fair than a completely game loss or DQ

-If game is paused during match due to controller malfunction or loss of battery power, the player should lose nothing and the game unpaused once the controller and/or batteries are replaced.

Since the player cannot control these events, the player should not be penalized. Even the battery issue. Though the player should be keeping tabs on how much battery power is left in the controller and should carry extra batteries, the actual final loss of battery power is out of his or her hands, so it's really not up to them at that moment. And obviously neither is the controller breaking or malfunctioning.

-The same rule above should apply to other circumstances such as: excessive physical harassment from opposing player or crowd, medical emergency, etc.

Sort of obvious. Can't blame a guy for pausing because people are getting too hyped and physically becoming part of the match, nor can you if he has an asthma attack or something.

All in all, pausing is fine if the consequences aren't so harsh and are fair based on circumstance.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
How would you deal "X" damage? Any method of doing so would be even more unfair towards the player. Their opponent now gets to hit them (assumingly with pummels to deal closer to that "X" amount without risking killing his opponent) but by doing so, this is removing the stale moves in that players stale move list.

Fresh moves + more % dealt for a mistake = I'd rather just kill myself then.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
How would you deal "X" damage? Any method of doing so would be even more unfair towards the player. Their opponent now gets to hit them (assumingly with pummels to deal closer to that "X" amount without risking killing his opponent) but by doing so, this is removing the stale moves in that players stale move list.

Fresh moves + more % dealt for a mistake = I'd rather just kill myself then.

It's either that or they lose an entire stock, which makes them automatically lose the game. It's less extreme than losing your last stock or the whole game or being entirely DQ'd altogether.

Tesh

Smash Hero
So if i pause against Ice Climbers while being chaingrabbed from 0% on my last stock. I should just take 50 or 100 or 120 damage as a punishment? People should lose the stock for pausing, because that is the maximum that could be avoiding by pausing maliciously. Loss of momentum for the stock.

What if I keep pausing at high percents last stock to avoid being killed. Are you just going to add more damage? And before anyone suggests that ICs be given a free regrab, its not just ICs that can be screwed up by pausing. Any time you have the pressure on your opponent, pausing gives them more time to think and make the best decision in the most precise way.

As for batteries, do any of you actually use wiichuck or a wireless gamecube controller? I fully charge my batteries before a tournament and they last like 40 hours. And if you aren't sure about how much power you have left, you can check (if its a wiimote) or you can just switch to fresh batteries to be sure. There is no good excuse for pausing due to battery life or controller malfunction.

At large touraments like MLG where there is adequate room for spectators to see, they should be kept farther away from the players. There is no need for this to be happening next to the players.

As far as actually touching the players, people need to be kicked out of the venue for doing something like that.

It would be nice if pause was disabled and a referee could pause when needed using the HOME button on a wiimote. Unfortunately that isn't an option at MLG and smaller tournaments don't have enough refs. But at least that way there would be no accidental pausing and a ref would be able to decide what warrants a pause in a match.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
IMO it should never be a percent but always a stock. You should always assume the worst possible scenario, which in all cases is at maximum a stock (unless it's the last stock, in which the other wins).

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Losing the game is merely unacceptable. If you paused to avoid any tactic, the most it could do would take a single stock. This is my reasoning for only losing 1 stock (or the match if it's your last) if you pause. It's simply silly when a person like Nick Riddle loses a game he was winning simply b/c he mashed wrong which would have only cost him a stock.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
In my tourneys, in case someone accindentally pauses and causes disturbance, he has to kill himself once.
I actually would prefer a rule where pausing is off and the the home button of the wii's wiimote is used to pause. Every wii should have a wiimote, since without one, you cannot open the game.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
In my tourneys, in case someone accindentally pauses and causes disturbance, he has to kill himself once.
I actually would prefer a rule where pausing is off and the the home button of the wii's wiimote is used to pause. Every wii should have a wiimote, since without one, you cannot open the game.
This is actually a very good suggestion

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its pretty difficult to press the HOME button accidentally. Its flat, and if pause is turned off, you shouldn't be pressing the buttons next to it anyway.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Or ask the people who bring Wiis to bring Wiimotes as well? I could see a problem with those who actually Brawl with wii-chuks but otherwise this shouldn't be a problem
you just gave an alternative option, but you didnt really answer the problem I posed.

sometimes if its a big tourney, like pound, the TO will provide a few wiis. its more feasible to have one wiimote to turn on 15 wiis than to try and keep track of 15 unused wiimotes.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
you just gave an alternative option, but you didnt really answer the problem I posed.

sometimes if its a big tourney, like pound, the TO will provide a few wiis. its more feasible to have one wiimote to turn on 15 wiis than to try and keep track of 15 unused wiimotes.
I think it's a good suggestion, but I supposed you'd know more about what TOs must do than I.

Top Bottom