• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not just about the scene, it's the game. If the scene were the only thing that mattered, we'd all play Halo and Starcraft (which doesn't sound all that bad, really). We love smash, but melee was getting tired. I continue to love playing melee, but tournaments were predictable. Everyone was ready for a new game.

If you like regular Brawl over Brawl+ for legitimate reasons, then sure, fine. But I just don't buy the "it's a hack, not a real game, therefore I don't want to play it" argument. I would gladly support a Brawl+ scene. In fact, we should have a smashfest this week at my place. Maybe thursday or friday. We can do any game.

Corigames

Smash Hero
We're playing god and creating an ugly mutant, it hates life, and it speaks to us in a soft, weak voice, "kill... me..."
You mean people are playing game designer and don't know what they are doing because they aren't properly trained or experienced?

fark

Smash Apprentice
cant we all just play with out saying whats better?
after all they are only games
and word on the street is that the pleople that created smash(not sure what smash)broke off to make a ninja turtles fighting game
hopefully its like melee
that would be so sick
but chances are that it will be more like brawl
which doesnt bother me either

forward

Smash Champion
I disagree, Sean. I think Brawl is the one that plays clunky and weird. The game penalizes you for moving. What kind of game does that?! It felt natural to me to wave dash in Brawl+. Like I can finally move again. And removing tripping means you can actually dash dance again.

The game seemed like less bull**** to me, essentially. Win or lose, I feel good after a game of Melee. I can be impressed by players of high skill and the things they do. There was none of that in Brawl. I wasn't impressed by anything. Win or lose, I felt bad after Brawl matches. Like even if I won, I didn't get a satisfactory "I was better than that person for that match" feeling. Instead, I got a "wow, I managed to BS him out 3 lives faster than he did me."

Even while getting beaten by Light's freakin' annoying Peach in Brawl+ (I <3 you, though, Brad) I had fun playing Brawl+.

Essentially I think you should come into it with the mindset of playing Melee 2.0, not Brawl+. The entire philosophy behind it isn't to make Brawl "just better" as the name Brawl+ implies, but rather "more like Melee". Remember what we all were anticipating Brawl to be before it came out? That's the game we're trying to create.
Every game will penalize you for moving, given that you move incorrectly.

As far as being impressed by the game, that's just something we will have to agree to disagree. I grant you that melee is a more impressive game to watch, but still, I can enjoy watching high level players like DSF, Futile, and M2K playing. Often it is their patience and predictions that impress me, and although brawl does not reward those elements with flashy visuals, it is a nonetheless a medium that those elements can be expressed through, and as long as one can appreciate those elements in their simplest value, one can appreciate high level brawl.

I would be willing to give the game another try though, I only played it a few matches. Who konws, maybe it can be fun.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
People in the Tucson area; I'm thinking about trying to set up a smash fest at my place tomorrow. I'm not sure if it would be able to pick up though, since I'm sure most people would be out trying to get smashed. Post here or text me/call me at (520)358-8688

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
If "running in one direction" is "moving incorrectly", then sure. ;) But, yea, I'm not going to get into the Melee vs Brawl debate.

The problem with Brawl+, as I've mentioned before, is that the different settings make the game wildly different. And hardly two people agree exactly on what settings to use. Manny, Light, and I tried a couple combinations. Most of which were pretty broken. But that's the way game development is. It only takes one thing to ruin a game, and most combinations have at least one game-breaking flaw. It's pretty rare to find the right one.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why do we ever play any new game? Because it's new! It's a reset button on the metagame. It allows new players to enter the community, etc...

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
If you are playing it because it is new, then why are you hacking it to make it like the old one :/
Here is another question; Why NOT hack it? The even with the similarities between melee and brawl becoming more profound with the hacked version, Melee is Melee and Brawl is Brawl. The games are still significantly different. Characters, stages, the mechanics of the hacks, and the execution are all very different. The metagame is so vastly different from Melee and Brawl that "Brawl+" may as well be a 4th game.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
1) You don't need to quote me, I know you're talking to me. ;)

2) It is still more like Brawl than it is like Melee. All the hacking does is get rid of some universally accepted stupid things (tripping) and then make changes that add depth from a competitive standpoint (mobility, thus ability to punish mistakes).

Don't think of it as a "hack" and "smashers playing god". Think of it as a patch. Good competitive games get patched all the time, and usually require it in order to stay competitive. Well, Nintendo is ******** and doesn't care about the serious community. So we have to do the patching ourselves.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Don't think of it as a "hack" and "smashers playing god". Think of it as a patch. Good competitive games get patched all the time, and usually require it in order to stay competitive. Well, Nintendo is ******** and doesn't care about the serious community. So we have to do the patching ourselves.
So why don't we, instead, patch Melee?

And I quote people when talking to them unless it's ridiculously big :D

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Perhaps we should. I for one, would LOVE a melee patch. Something that made all characters equal, but kept the same aspects of the game? That would be amazing.

But nobody has really bothered trying to make such a hack for melee. And my efforts are busy elsewhere... Plus I think it's logistically easier to do testing on the Wii. The games use SD cards which you can easily plug into your PC.

...can you use a melee save file on an SD card? hmmm....

Corigames

Smash Hero
Perhaps we should. I for one, would LOVE a melee patch. Something that made all characters equal, but kept the same aspects of the game? That would be amazing.
Yes. It should be easier to make a game with ATs more balanced then a game with no ATs that have to be hacked and then balanced with the hack.

The games use SD cards which you can easily plug into your PC.
What does that matter? Just get an AR?

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I think some of us also would rather play Brawl+ some people might have felt cheated out of $50 after purchasing Brawl. After all that delays, and waiting, and mindgames that Sakurai guy tried to play on us innocent people...this what we got?

Besides, I'm pretty sure the sweetest thing to come out of Brawl was to be able to play as Snake.

What a man.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I think some of us also would rather play Brawl+ some people might have felt cheated out of $50 after purchasing Brawl. After all that delays, and waiting, and mindgames that Sakurai guy tried to play on us innocent people...this what we got?

Besides, I'm pretty sure the sweetest thing to come out of Brawl was to be able to play as Snake.

What a man.
I was stoked about Ike, to be honest. I'm a big FE fanboy.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle doesn't even need a hack to be Meleeawesome, he can already waveland and all this advanced **** that will blow your ****ing mind and **** *** ******** **** ***. ****.

Goop

Smash Journeyman
There are at least 4 legitimate reasons for Brawl+:

1. Removes Tripping (give me one legitimate reason for it or better yet find someone who has not complained about it)
2. Fixes the Jab/Laser Lock
3. Fixes the Triple jump issues
4. Pokemon Trainer Stamina and Switch Issues (allows people to just stay as one pokemon and doesn't force switch or penalize people for not switching, thus allowing for three new characters as opposed to 1/3 characters)

That without anything else is enough for Brawl to be more competitive and adds vastly to the metagame.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
There are at least 4 legitimate reasons for Brawl+:

1. Removes Tripping (give me one legitimate reason for it or better yet find someone who has not complained about it)
2. Fixes the Jab/Laser Lock
3. Fixes the Triple jump issues
4. Pokemon Trainer Stamina and Switch Issues (allows people to just stay as one pokemon and doesn't force switch or penalize people for not switching, thus allowing for three new characters as opposed to 1/3 characters)
I keep tripping in my Brawl+. It's a legitimate game mechanic. There is no reason to complain about it, or to remove it.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I keep tripping in my Brawl+. It's a legitimate game mechanic. There is no reason to complain about it, or to remove it.
There is plenty of reason to complain about it.

However, if those are the legitimate reasons, why not do that and nothing else.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Ooooooooooh lawdy.

No reason to complain about it? Yeah, there is no reason to complain about tripping into an Ike fsmash. No reason to complain about going for an edgehog and then trip and the other guy gets the ledge. And those two points don't even scratch the surface of why it's bad. Someone else can handle everything else.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
There is plenty of reason to complain about it.

However, if those are the legitimate reasons, why not do that and nothing else.
There are no reasons to complain about it other than you're all sore losers, and need something to complain about.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Ooooooooooh lawdy.

No reason to complain about it? Yeah, there is no reason to complain about tripping into an Ike fsmash. No reason to complain about going for an edgehog and then trip and the other guy gets the ledge. And those two points don't even scratch the surface of why it's bad. Someone else can handle everything else.
Tripping usually leads to dodging the Fsmash. LOL.

Again, you're just all complaining about it instead of embracing it, like you all should be. LOL.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
There is no logical reason to include tripping in ANY game of any genre. Period. It's just stupid.

Why do I just have a hard time believing that Samus, a futuristic galactic bounty hunter, trips over her own two feet once every minute and face plants! It's more than non-competitive. It's anti-competitive, and serves only to intentionally close the skill gap.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Tripping usually leads to dodging the Fsmash. LOL.

Again, you're just all complaining about it instead of embracing it, like you all should be. LOL.
Go play Superman 64 and embrace it. It doesn't matter how bad it is, embrace it. There may be problems, but embrace them.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
There are no reasons to complain about it other than you're all sore losers, and need something to complain about.
I am sorry that I think something that neither player has any control over whatsoever can cause me to lose the game. Tripping has lost me(and Demised) a tournament. Losing to someone who just got lucky(not abusing something I do wrong, if I miss an lcancel(like in melee)) Is pretty **** annoying.
Sore losers?

What an idiot.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Seriously. The finals of AzOneTwo doubles (Demised losing to DSF) caused a lot of people to quit Brawl. Myself included. The game would be significantly better off just with tripping removed and nothing else.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Seriously. The finals of AzOneTwo doubles (Demised losing to DSF) caused a lot of people to quit Brawl. Myself included. The game would be significantly better off just with tripping removed and nothing else.
Thank you. <3

J.TwisT

Smash Apprentice
Me too, but that was funny IMO, but its just because I didn't lose. I thought wobbles impression of it was pretty funny. "Oh heres a dodgeball, i'm about to **** ball, wait NO I'm gonna ****ing trip and the dodgeball is gonna Fxxxing **** me!"

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Duuuude what happened to Timmy? He vanished.

Just ignore the flaming, silly geese. No need to get heated up over teh interwebz.

Speaking of tripping ftl, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17imZwI7hZA

I have a nub question, what are the triple jump issues? I haven't heard of it (been too busy playing melee lol but seriously I wanna know though).

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
The Jab/Ice/Laser Lock issues arn't that bad of a problem, Ice and Laser locking take actual set up to do. I havn't heard a lot about jab locking though, maybe it's reason enough to get it taken out.

Laser locks are funny though.

Tripping is balls.

Goop

Smash Journeyman
Anywoodle I think most reasonable and responsible players and tourney organizers would agree that the game is better with those modifications alone.

Everything is pretty much up to debate in my book beyond those four changes.

In my list of necessary changes Auto L-Canceling is up there. It makes half the cast far more reasonable and adds a whole new element to the game. Hitstun is right after ALC since it allows for some combos and speeds up the game a bit. Lastly Gravity would be a valuable addition since it removes some of the floatiness and gives the game better fastfalling which adds another good aspect to the game.

Honestly the Melee Airdodge system is good but not necessary. That and the values for hitstun and gravity will probably be the hardest part of making a valuable codeset for Brawl+ and cause the most debate.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
How come ASU is so slow at sending out acceptance letters :( I am really wanting that letter so I can be like. Sup *****es, I am AZ.

forward

Smash Champion
I want to respond to these Brawl issues and defend the game so badly right now but I'm afraid I will just make an *** of myself because my new years celebration has already begun.

It's a celebration! Who's drinking with me tonight? 2 shots down ;)

edit: make that three

2nd edit: i'm at 6 now, where is everyone? am i the only smasher not getting wasted at a party?

Top Bottom