• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Cort, how come I don't hear you yell 'Milkshake!' anymore? That was like the best name for Peach (especially fighting Shiek)

trademark0013

Smash Champion
Bad habits are spot dodging/rolling/jabbing/not mixing up your recovery often enough.
to what extent is jabbing bad?
I sort of recently learned you can just slap away boomerangs and bombs with Peach. >.>
her nair outprioritizes knees (for the most part) and her bairs beat missles. any other important moves i should kno to outprioritize things?
yeah, never jc grabs while CGing
thnx for stating this. i've JC'd my grabs ever since borrkman taught me how... at the first esticle . now i can cg better
i was a little confused, how do you JC a grab, i don't get it
basically u jump RIGHT before grabbing. it makes ur dashing grab (which usually takes longer) last as long as a normal grab (which is usually shorter). i push jump at the same time as i grab. i find it works too? *shrugs*

Cort

Apple Head
i was a little confused, how do you JC a grab, i don't get it

and, DJC out of shield to like dsmash or jab or wahtever, it seems the jab comes out with less lag then the dsmash, i know it takes more time for a dsmash to come out, but it seems extra long, happens sometime when i FC, is it just me and i am doing something wrong, or what
Thanks for answering his first question, trademark. But you should look into the basics of smash before asking such questions, there are probably a few other things you don't know about.

I prefer to nair out of shield as opposed to all other choices. It's ridiculously fast and good.

Cort, how come I don't hear you yell 'Milkshake!' anymore? That was like the best name for Peach (especially fighting Shiek)
I haven't milkshaked a Sheik in very very long. Plus I just kind of forgot about it.

to what extent is jabbing bad?

her nair outprioritizes knees (for the most part) and her bairs beat missles. any other important moves i should kno to outprioritize things?

thnx for stating this. i've JC'd my grabs ever since borrkman taught me how... at the first esticle . now i can cg better

basically u jump RIGHT before grabbing. it makes ur dashing grab (which usually takes longer) last as long as a normal grab (which is usually shorter). i push jump at the same time as i grab. i find it works too? *shrugs*
Jabbing is bad cause of cc grab

Don't want to fux around with out prioritizing knees, especially when they can definitely trade hits with nairs, and basically.. everything.

I don't know of too many other moves that Peach can out prioritize general moves with. ~_~;

D

Deleted member

why haven't you made a hot falcon vid in a while? they're my favs lately.

MeisterNeumann

Smash Apprentice
actually,its because of the pigments in the light

but anyway,ill stop the spam and ask real questions

MM at cata 3/5 5$ vs your any low tier but DK?

Cort

Apple Head
That's what the VLS thread is for. I'll poop on you with my Luigi.

Light doesn't have "pigments" That's just physical properties of whatever you're looking at. The way your eye perceives them is because they reflect certain blah blah blah blah etc. Or something. I don't care.

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
1. How do you DI the knee? I tend to get hit with it.... a lot.

2. How to you keep your Peach mobile/ unpredictable (so as not to be hit with the knee)?

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
???

use either DL64 or FD vs fox, depends which fox, each stage is suited for different situations. super technical foxes you probably want on DL64, otherwise go FD... which means

ban yoshi's. but for the love of god if its on, ban onett first thing, and if thats off ban green greens. If both are off then you're at a good tournament.

Cort

Apple Head
No,the plants do

and when the light hits the sun it turns green

and ok
No.

1. How do you DI the knee? I tend to get hit with it.... a lot.

2. How to you keep your Peach mobile/ unpredictable (so as not to be hit with the knee)?
DI the knee straight up.

The only time Falcon should really knee you is from dthrow -> knee, which combos. I suggest DIing down and away and to sometimes mix it up, DI up. It still combos either way after a certain percent, but *shrug* (DI the throw that way, I reread this and it sounded a bit confusing)

1. What stage would you counterpick againts Fox if Mute City was banned?
2. Would you ban Yoshi's Story or DL64 againts Fox?
3. What's your GPA?
???

use either DL64 or FD vs fox, depends which fox, each stage is suited for different situations. super technical foxes you probably want on DL64, otherwise go FD... which means

ban yoshi's. but for the love of god if its on, ban onett first thing, and if thats off ban green greens. If both are off then you're at a good tournament.
Yeah, listen to XiF. I'd preferably go DL64 against much better Foxes, and FD against Foxes that occasionally miss l cancels and therefore are horrible.

I'd never ban DL64 against Fox, I don't know why people think it's a good Fox stage against Peach. If anything, Pokemon Stadium is MUCH MUCH MUCH worse because it has lots of camping space as well as a short ceiling, so I'd ban that before ever banning DL64...

I don't know my GPA. This semester I'm only taking 3 classes and I'm doing pretty well in them. (like an A+ in my calc class, A- in my world civ class, B+ ish in my art history class)

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
You got so much Mindgames. What made you wanna invent that avatar you have? You actually Mindgamed Isai with it >>

Cort

Apple Head
I donno, I got myself a premium membership and it was one of the first things that came to my head.

It doesn't work on people that don't use the default "Revolution" skin. :(

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Whats the best way to get out of a peach pillar when rolling has gotten predictable?

As Y.Link

Mr P

Smash Ace
im not sure exactly about what way to di or at what %'s this works but sometimes when falcon down throws you, you can tumble out of the falling animation and n air befopre he can knee you.

Cort, i know this is not a very specific question but what kind of "tricks" do you have and what ones of them do you find most useful ? Anything specific against marth that you find very useful ? thanks.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
best trick vs marth:

he's off the stage

he tries to sweet spot

grab a turnip

face towards the stage

float backwards

drop turnip and grab ledge at the same time.

his recovery isnt horizontal enough so the turnip sends him away far enough to be able to ledge hog him.

if he happens to get back some way (there are ways, sometimes the turnip hits him so he can tech, or he avoids it in some ways, but generally avoiding the turnips means you can ledge hog anyway) you can just stand up and d smash, and then do the same thing again.

Another nice trick versus most characters but works especially well versus CF and marth, is when you pop them up and off the stage, the first reaction is to double jump back on so that they arent stuck up B'ing. However, if you just full jump forward air, they end up jumping right into the fair and dying at really low percents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lOYvl7sqqg

at 0:38, this is what happens generally with the turnip drop if they try to avoid it by up b'ing early
at 2:30, unfortunately, is what happens on the rare occasion that the turnip drop doesnt work quite as well as you'd hope.
at 3:01~, this is when the full jump fair is useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXIi6JTYd7g

at 0:37, this is how when even if the turnip drop doesnt work you can stand and d smash
at 0:43, this is the desired result of the turnip drop.

Mr P

Smash Ace
That's a nice trick i'm definately gonna try that turnip edgeguard xif, thanks.

The prediction full jump f air is nice, you can also do something similar against someone like c falcon where you f throw them off the edge or soemthing if you instanstly float straight out you can catch them after their second jump with a f air i use that quite a lot, dont have any vids to demonstrate, i think generally that works better on fastfallers than floates coz normally they will di much higher.

I saw vidjo do something nice vs drephens sheik in a vid where he had grabbed him facing towards the stage near the edge on dreamland he down threw him, like a good marth does against a fox and waited for drephen to either tech towards him so he could grab again or react to whatever it was he did when he landed, either teching on the spot or rolling away. I'll see if i can find the vid.

Jump cancelling your turnips is nice too so you can dash one way and immediately turn around to throw a turnip with very little lag.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
also, cort i agree with u that fox is peaches toughest match, but u think marth is harder than sheik? i personally found it more relaxing to fight marth. just stay out of the air and keep reasonable distance. could be just me though *shrugs*

Cort

Apple Head
XiF named/stole my tricks vs Marth.

Marth is by far Peach's WORST match up. Then Fox. Then Sheik. Marth and Fox are much much harder than Sheik, though.

I changed my name from RaSeruCort to Cort because it's short and sweet. Plus people never pronounced the "RaSeru" part right.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Alright, if this has been asked just shoot me...or tell me the page # cause I'll admit I haven't been to the Peach forums in a while and I'm lazy and won't look through 11 pgs :3

My question issssssss, how do you go about fighting Shieks? I never really get too much advice about it.

cablepuff

Smash Ace
What makes mew2king think sheik is harder.

What tactics do you have to gimp samus recovery beside turnip spamming and floating out fair.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
no way corts just good vs sheik i still think sheik does better

thats my opinion at least

regardless, peach only does good vs any of them if they make mistakes, esp vs fox. Peach ***** if you make a mistake, but if you don't her ability to do much against a consistent not-messing-up smart opponent she's at a great disadvantage

Cort

Apple Head
Marth > Fox > Sheik in terms of difficulty of match up for Peach.

It's basically

can't do anything if they space right and wait and play smart, can rarely approach > cant do anything unless they mess up, but can occasionally approach > all you can do is cc messed up spaced attacks and edge gaurd decently, but still get pooped on

I'll write up some things on playing Sheik in a bit, I have a few things to do/plus I'm kind of lazy to think

Cort

Apple Head
You can atleast combo and edge gaurd Fox and pray that he messes up a single l-cancel thus giving you like, a 40% combo atleast.

Marth is basically unapproachable. I've been 4 stocked more times by M2K's Marth than his Fox, scientific evidence.

Cort

Apple Head
More like I'm better than you and I have more experience against good players lolololo

oohhhhh burnt

Cort

Apple Head
I don't know.

crismas, I'll write you up a good read sometime tomorrow. I was busy all today, mostly. Sorry

In the meantime, this is a post I wrote up earlier just about smash and programming and stuff:

I couldn't possibly imagine z-cancelling in SSB to be a glitch as it carried over to SSBM in the form of L-cancelling where it just reduced lag frames by exactly 1/2...

Big N definitely did it on purpose.

While we're on this subject, I've always wondered if their programmers are just really unlucky or freaking BRILLIANT GENIUSES WRITING POETRY. Seriously, you look at games such as Metroid Prime, and it's a haven for glitches, sequence breaks, and just an amazingly long lasting 1P game that a community can pick apart for years after it's release. But then you look at it's sequels and just sigh (though, MP3 does have some interesting glitches/sequence breaks and they're still finding many).

Then things like being able to escape the bomb chozo room in Super Metroid, but you only have exactly 41 frames to do so (lol super wave dash timing in Melee).

Being able to beat Super Mario 64 with just 1 star/16 stars, using a glitch that just doesn't give a shnoz as to what walls you're running into abusing the ridiculous physics of the game (also, beautiful physics)...

Not to mention we're all still finding new things in Melee to this day... I just feel like Nintendo is notorious for making games playable to so many different levels, and giving games really good replay value.

Man, it would be so amazing to think they all did it on purpose. It's probably the prettiest thing to ever be written on paper.

IAMINTERFACE LOL (1:01:16 AM): That would be pretty amazing.
IAMINTERFACE LOL (1:01:25 AM): If it was all like... this big experiment.
Cort 28633 (1:01:27 AM): I think that shuld be the ultimate goal of any good programmar
Cort 28633 (1:01:29 AM): er
IAMINTERFACE LOL (1:01:31 AM): To change the face of gaming.
Cort 28633 (1:02:03 AM): I think I'm like, tearing up
Cort 28633 (1:02:05 AM): thinking about it
IAMINTERFACE LOL (1:02:21 AM): lol.
IAMINTERFACE LOL (1:02:28 AM): I think.
IAMINTERFACE LOL (1:02:31 AM): If you could find proof.
IAMINTERFACE LOL (1:02:32 AM): Of such a thing.
IAMINTERFACE LOL (1:02:39 AM): It would be like seeing the face of God.

excelexcel25 (1:19:31 AM): it'd be crazy if nintendo was a lab of people sitting around a table, smoking cigars
excelexcel25 (1:19:35 AM): reading smashboards and laughing
excelexcel25 (1:19:43 AM): "they finally found the freeze glitch! ahahahaha"
Cort 28633 (1:19:48 AM): LOL
excelexcel25 (1:20:01 AM): have they cracked the frozen turnip glitch yet?
excelexcel25 (1:20:02 AM): nope
excelexcel25 (1:20:04 AM): "AHAHAHAHAHAHA"

IAMINTERFACE LOL (1:21:59 AM): what about all that stupid worthless **** we gave Ness?
IAMINTERFACE LOL (1:22:06 AM): yeah, some ****** is saying ness is high tier.
Cort 28633 (1:22:13 AM): LMFAO

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Do you tend to play alil weak when you keep playing for a long period of time or useing the same character? I Tend to feel that way. Like my first couple of matches I am playing 100% on point (win or lose) then later on I tend to play a lil less on point and get a lil predictable. I wanna know if this is common or is it just me.

How in the world can you play Peach without wave dashing. I saw some vids of you too see. But I still could not quite see it. I tried that and I ended up playing kinda bad. and at times I had no choice but to wave dash to save myself.

Cort

Apple Head
Alright, if this has been asked just shoot me...or tell me the page # cause I'll admit I haven't been to the Peach forums in a while and I'm lazy and won't look through 11 pgs :3

My question issssssss, how do you go about fighting Shieks? I never really get too much advice about it.
Fighting Sheik is basically an uphill battle from the start, but it's not impossible.

It just really depends on the Sheik to be honest. If they're aggressive, you're good for low %s. You can basically CC dsmash all approaches except for spaced bairs and grabs, and Sheik tends to eat dsmashes even not CCing at very very low %s.

Otherwise, I suggest usually approaching with turnips/spaced fairs/FCing into dsmash or jabs or possibly grabs.

Edge gaurding Sheik is fairly simple. You chuck turnips at her and pray one hits, then edge hog, or.. just edge hog. If you're feeling adventurous, float near the ledge and make the Sheik guess what you're gonna do. You can fastfall a bair if they're at mid-higher %s and then double jump back up and edge hog, or you can just edge hog, get up as soon as they "explode" and attempt to dsmash them before they land. If they haven't landed yet and you got the dsmash, they die with an edge hog. If they land, the process starts over again. If the Sheik is good, they'll cc the first hit of dsmash, thus sending them out to the other side of the stage. In this case, I suggest floating to the other side of them and nairing them back out if you know they're going to do this, do it fast so hopefully they DI the nair down and die. =D

If you're playing on a stage with platforms near the edge, and the Sheik goes for that platform, jump from the edge and that should put you near the Sheik, but then position yourself so you're on the other side of Sheik and strong nair her back out.

Jumping from the ledge is actually pretty good against many players I've encountered. Don't do this too often, but try it out: Just jump from the ledge, hold float and float back, they usually try to punish you, but then you can dj towards them quickly and nair or possibly fair. It works surprisingly often.

Recovering against Sheik can be a pain. Do NOT recover low, as it's asking to be needle'd/bair'd/fair'd. Recover as high as you can, and react accordingly to what the Sheik does.

I'll edit this later if any more ideas come to mind.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
Do you tend to play alil weak when you keep playing for a long period of time or useing the same character? I Tend to feel that way. Like my first couple of matches I am playing 100% on point (win or lose) then later on I tend to play a lil less on point and get a lil predictable. I wanna know if this is common or is it just me.

How in the world can you play Peach without wave dashing. I saw some vids of you too see. But I still could not quite see it. I tried that and I ended up playing kinda bad. and at times I had no choice but to wave dash to save myself.

actually, with me i play better as time goes on

easy. FYAO (float your *** off)
^ someone should quote me on that acronym in a peach guide... cort.. xif..???

Top Bottom