• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
What? Thats wierd. I was practice how to DI fox's moves. I heald the C stick to Him before he drilled, I went behind him and he could not shine me after...............am I missing something here?

Cort

Apple Head
For that to work, the majority of the drill has to hit you, and it's not guaranteed for the Fox to miss his shine. You get better results if you simply smash DI the way Fox is facing, from my experience. Granted, it also has to take into account which direction the Fox is traveling while drilling, you generally want to DI against the way he's moving, unless its a stationary drill, in which case I tend to find DIing the way he's facing produces better results.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
This is getting confsuing now. well yea when i did it I Held the stick before the drill hit me. I think there was a Few times when I held the stick to him wen he drilled then shined me. But the Shine pushed me to far Behind him and he could not shine me again.

And i thought the C stick was the easiest way to smash DI.

Brookman

Smash Hero
For that to work, the majority of the drill has to hit you, and it's not guaranteed for the Fox to miss his shine. You get better results if you simply smash DI the way Fox is facing, from my experience. Granted, it also has to take into account which direction the Fox is traveling while drilling, you generally want to DI against the way he's moving, unless its a stationary drill, in which case I tend to find DIing the way he's facing produces better results.
That ****s a pain in the arse.

Cort

Apple Head
The c-stick can only ASDI. Because the drill hits so many times, and since you're holding the c-stick, you ASDI every hit, it's very noticeable movement.

Smash DI is done with the control stick, and you have to physically input a direction during the stun frames of moves in order to greatly move that direction, it's a much further move than ASDI can get you.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
OMFG are you serious? This explains everything then, All this time I try to smash DI with the C-stick. thanks for the heads up. things make sense now

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
OMGF!!!! Cort I love you!!!!

All this time me crying and making a thread about how I cant DI (which I still cant but got better at it in a few days) and I see this thread. And now that you corrected me about smash DI and ASDI I got a better understanding. I'm actually useing both of my controllers to practice this rite now. Thanks for this link. I'll be looking at this alot more till I get this DI thing down fully.

You own!

Snakeee

Smash Master
Cort in the majority of a game do you ASDI or SDI? And I know this thread is for Peach, but could you possibly explain that light shield trick with Marth you did at the weekly?

peachori

Smash Journeyman
oh no lol i was just saying how its amazing so many people around the boards have never seen that ****
kinda hard to find i guess
but good di is tight **** =)

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Yea that light shield trick was cool.

You know any useful was to use light shield with Peach? I'm thinking of using that alot more.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Since its not on the first page :p >_>.

Hey Cort how good do you think is the match up peach vs jigglypuff?

I think peach can do pretty decent but I would love to hear your opinion about the match up.

Regardless what you think of the match up how would you approach jigglypuff with peach through turnips and make her come to you only or is there another option?

Also besides that I would like to thank you for playing me in friendlies at NYC because your awesome :chuckle: I would love to play more friendlies >.< with you its too fun :lick: and I loved our tourney set too >_<.

Oh and did you watch Monster? I'm starting to watch it like now because I heard it was a good anime any thoughts?

:colorful:

Samochan

Smash Master
Smash DI is done with the control stick, and you have to physically input a direction during the stun frames of moves in order to greatly move that direction, it's a much further move than ASDI can get you.
Eeeh... do you mean in order to smash di fox's drill correcly, I'd need to repeatedly bang the stick to my desired direction (depending of the situation) over and over again as I get hit multiple times, or do you mean I can only smash Di the move after I get the stun from the hit, and holding the stick before getting hit would not help me DI the drill itself unlike with c-stick asdi? Or can I just hold the stick cause it has multiple parts in where to sdi and then it would automaticly DI those hits? Do you recommend c-stick or regular stick for di'ing the drill, I'd also like to be ready to dsmash in case I get the chance to do so.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
SDI is like... twice as much distance as ASDI. You can get out of Fox's drillkick with two or three SDIs, even if you SDI away and he's moving toward you. Yes, you do have to bang your stick repeatedly in one case. Holding either the control stick or the C-stick in a direction will give you ASDI, but the C-stick takes priority, so you can ASDI in one direction and try to SDI in a slightly different one.

I'm thinking you're supposed to ASDI Fox's uair up and try to SDI it left or right, so you'd hold C-Stick up and hit the control stick left or right at the right time. Correct me if I'm wrong with this example.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
i know that you can smash DI it down and you'll be able to dsmash him, but i am not sure completely of the legistics of it, i've done it once but i rarely play fox, and i've seen others do it too, someone else can probably expplain it more then
lol I wish this worked, that would be nice... >_>

Cort: chunky or creamy peanut butter?

Cort

Apple Head
Cort in the majority of a game do you ASDI or SDI? And I know this thread is for Peach, but could you possibly explain that light shield trick with Marth you did at the weekly?
I do both fairly frequently, I can't really say I do one more than the other. But they're ridiculously important in the staying alive department, which can lead to either set wins or losses in tournament.

The light shield trick with Marth works the same way as the light shield edge hog, except you're facing the other way. As soon as your shield is hit, Marth (correct me if I'm wrong) ASDIs off the stage (since to do it, you dash attack or running grab the ledge, continue to hold Z, and hold away from the stage). Once you're hit, you INSTANTLY recover and are off the stage, and can do any move ASAP. This works with every character, btw, though it's not as useful as you guys might think.

Anyway, as soon as you're hit, you're off the stage, you can fair or dair (hehe, this one is great, but it kills you as well) And occasionally if you fair the other Marth, you will instantly land back on the stage. (It works the same way with other characters if you fall through a platform and attack at the same time, and hit them. You just end up relanding on the platform instantly)

Other uses of this trick are included in Peach vs Marth. Oh, also Peach CAN light shield edge hog Marth, but you HAVE to fastfall as soon as Marth hits your shield in order to grab the ledge before he does. Anyway, the reverse light shield edge guard lets Peach neutral air/bair Marth as soon as he hits her shield, but he has to be up b'ing from a slight distance and not really hugging the stage (so you don't nair/bair him into the stage instead of sending him out)

This also works sort of well with Fox if the Marth is not familiar with the trick. You can reverse light shield edge guard with a shine as soon as he hits your shield, and if you're awesome you're turn around in your shine into a firefox to ledge hog, but if the Marth reacts quickly enough he can up b back onto the stage.

Also Fox can do this against other Foxes/Falcos that are up b'ing STRAIGHT into them. AKA, they have to start the up b level with the stage, slightly above the ledge, and go STRAIGHT into the stage (above the ledge, into your light shield) You'll instantly fall off and you can shine spike them =P It's pretty awesome.

The last (and hardest) use of this is Fox vs the Marios, since you can't normally light shield edge hog the Marios, you can shine spike them with the light shield edge guard, but you have to do it frame perfectly >_> Since you have your shield up as they attack it, if you input the shine on the frame you recover, you'll still be invincible (since you're invincible on the first frame of shine, just to clear that up) thus shine spiking them. Mew2King taught me all of these tricks, by the way, he also shine spiked my Mario on his first try without getting hit. ._.;
Yea that light shield trick was cool.

You know any useful was to use light shield with Peach? I'm thinking of using that alot more.
Read above! But it's not super practical. I suggest light shield edge HOGGING, and remember to fastfall. Practice it.
Since its not on the first page :p >_>.

Hey Cort how good do you think is the match up peach vs jigglypuff?

I think peach can do pretty decent but I would love to hear your opinion about the match up.

Regardless what you think of the match up how would you approach jigglypuff with peach through turnips and make her come to you only or is there another option?

Also besides that I would like to thank you for playing me in friendlies at NYC because your awesome :chuckle: I would love to play more friendlies >.< with you its too fun :lick: and I loved our tourney set too >_<.

Oh and did you watch Monster? I'm starting to watch it like now because I heard it was a good anime any thoughts?

:colorful:
Yeah, I think Peach vs Jiggs is in Peach's favor. However, to make the matchup a lot easier, Peach has to go on a turnip fest essentially.

Yeah, I really enjoyed playing you in friendlies. We should play moreeeeeeee

I don't really watch much anime aside from the ridiculously good ones suggested to me by friends.
Eeeh... do you mean in order to smash di fox's drill correcly, I'd need to repeatedly bang the stick to my desired direction (depending of the situation) over and over again as I get hit multiple times, or do you mean I can only smash Di the move after I get the stun from the hit, and holding the stick before getting hit would not help me DI the drill itself unlike with c-stick asdi? Or can I just hold the stick cause it has multiple parts in where to sdi and then it would automaticly DI those hits? Do you recommend c-stick or regular stick for di'ing the drill, I'd also like to be ready to dsmash in case I get the chance to do so.
Yeah @ banging the stick

What I meant by stun frames is, as soon as you're hit, you are "stunned" for a certain amount of frames before any kind of knock back is issued. During these frames is when you can smash DI.

Right now, I'm under the impression that the c-stick always takes priority over the control stick, so if you're holding it a direction you cannot smash DI in the control stick (someone please clear this up for me, because I'm not sure)

I know that if you're holding the control stick down to cc, and hold the c-stick up to ASDI, and Peach dsmashes you, you will not cc the dsmash. However, I don't know how smash DI would work if you're holding the c stick and attempt to smash DI. Someone who definitely knows please clear this up for me!
SDI is like... twice as much distance as ASDI. You can get out of Fox's drillkick with two or three SDIs, even if you SDI away and he's moving toward you. Yes, you do have to bang your stick repeatedly in one case. Holding either the control stick or the C-stick in a direction will give you ASDI, but the C-stick takes priority, so you can ASDI in one direction and try to SDI in a slightly different one.

I'm thinking you're supposed to ASDI Fox's uair up and try to SDI it left or right, so you'd hold C-Stick up and hit the control stick left or right at the right time. Correct me if I'm wrong with this example.
I wouldn't reccomend holding up on the c-stick while being up aired by a Fox, as it also effects your regular DI after being hit, so should you mess up the smash DI, you're going to eat a powerful uair.

However, again.. I don't know how smash DI works if you're holding the c-stick and want to smash DI with the control stick. Someone who definitely knows please clear this up for me!
Cort: chunky or creamy peanut butter?
Creamy :lick: Chunky is awful :urg:
pressuring marth? when your not on the defensive. because too many of my turnips are caught where that approach is seeming dead. although even when they catch it i can usually rush in for a few hits.
turnips turnips and more turnips. You also want to be fairly in his "safe zone" before throwing them and hope he shields, thus letting you continue an approach... don't just mindlessly spam turnips =P

Cort

Apple Head
Haha, yeah.. sorry.

Uh, also edited the first post up a bit with the best info I wrote up since IcedShadow organized it for me!

Snakeee

Smash Master
If I may, I play against jiggs with peach all the time and know alot about the match up. Like Cort said, you want to spam turnips as much as possible and mostly keep your distance. If jiggs gets close enough that you don't have time to turnip, try to run away and maybe do retreating b airs.

Jiggs can get Peach with a rest easier than alot of other characters especuially at low percents so you want to be very careful of that. Avoid using moves with alot of lag especially Peach's dash attack. Use D smash alot less too because if Jiggs gets caught in it sometimes she can Rest you while getting hit (and obviously if you miss you're gonna get rested). If you don't DI, she can pound to rest, up tilt to rest, etc. To avoid an up tilt to rest try to smash DI onto the floor and tech. Don't grab as much either as Jiggs can duck a grab and Rest you. When jiggs d airs you smash DI it like you would with fox's d air. Also, be careful when jiggs is shielding because they jump out of it to rest too.

To edgeguard, theres not too much to do other than the wall of turnips like you would do in a peach ditto.
If jiggs gets you in her wall of pain, I usually try to DI each hit and/or Up B like crazy.
Lastly, be aware that her pound can go through your turnips AND hit you with one shot.

You can finish Jiggs off with Up airs, Down smash, F throw (not as much), turnips to FCed f airs/n airs, or even an unexpected up smash.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
So Mr. Cort do you use ASDI (cstick) or SDI when getting out of fox's upthrow - uair? I think you've said before that you just time it and SDI...

also, how do you spend so much time with PC without developing an immense gay crush on him? I mean seriously.

Cort

Apple Head
So Mr. Cort do you use ASDI (cstick) or SDI when getting out of fox's upthrow - uair? I think you've said before that you just time it and SDI...

also, how do you spend so much time with PC without developing an immense gay crush on him? I mean seriously.
I time an SDI with the control stick. Some people wiggle it as fast as possible, I just time it.

PC is not my type.
Cort, what's the best way to punish Marth and shiek?
Punish them for what? This is a ridiculously general, and highly situational (at the same time, I think) question.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
PC is not my type.
XD Sorry, I had to laugh at that

Punish them for what? This is a ridiculously general, and highly situational (at the same time, I think) question.
Uh, sorry lol. I'll try again. What's Marth's and Shiek's most punishable move ground wise?

Also, let's say you and PC was on different teams and you had to face each other. Both of ya are teamed with...I dunno, semi good smashers lol. Now, both of ya pick Captain Falcon (and they picked their desired characters.) Now, both of ya are fighting and such as stocks go down, yada yada yada. NOW. When both of your opponents have 1 stock left and at high percents, ya would Knee them from different sides and then do this http://youtube.com/watch?v=9S-4MgKXElU

My only question is that do you think that would be epic?

Cort

Apple Head
XD Sorry, I had to laugh at that
:)
Uh, sorry lol. I'll try again. What's Marth's and Shiek's most punishable move ground wise?
Uh.. usually their laggy ones? IE, missed Marth fsmashes, dsmashes, incorrect spacing of fairs, timing fairs wrong, missing fairs altogether... situational stuff.
Sheik's dsmash can be punished I think >_>, but other than that all you can really severely punish is her recovery. Also, a Sheik that does not space ledge hop fairs from the ledge will easily eat Peach's nair out of shield, and usually die =D

Also, let's say you and PC was on different teams and you had to face each other. Both of ya are teamed with...I dunno, semi good smashers lol. Now, both of ya pick Captain Falcon (and they picked their desired characters.) Now, both of ya are fighting and such as stocks go down, yada yada yada. NOW. When both of your opponents have 1 stock left and at high percents, ya would Knee them from different sides and then do this http://youtube.com/watch?v=9S-4MgKXElU

My only question is that do you think that would be epic?
The world would explode.

Samochan

Smash Master
Short hopped non-tipper fairs from marth, either shffled or rising fair can be crouch cancelled to either dsmash or slap, something else as well like shield or.. dash attack? From sheik, shffled fairs and other aerials at lower% can be crouch cancelled to dsmash and dtilt and slaps/grabs and I think dash attack too if you're quick to cc it and the sheik does not immediately jump after the aerial. Sheik's dsmash can be shielded into wd out of shield to whatever you like like dsmash or grab, or floathing from shield to things like nair, dair and bair. Fair, dunno might be a bit too slow for that.

Punishing their attacks is ridiculously hard for peach if you face against a good player that's also technically competent. And most of the stuff is situational as well. Some good use of dash dance, cc and wavedash (preferably perfect) helps with evasion & punishing. What's funny is to cc marths' fair that he misses, then punishing with some move lol. Along with other funny stuff like falcons jumping over you. I had someone using pika jump over me at least 3 times with nair just cause I crouch cancelled. ^_^

FlipNRed

Smash Apprentice
Cort, as C.Falcon how does one properly do a n.air so that it's low to the ground as pros seem to do it and so that it sweetspots/both hits connect and how does one combo another into it?

Also, how does one properly do a d.air so that it too is as low to the ground as pros such as yourself do and so that it has the massive hitbox that hits people out of techs even though you're not exactly right on top of them?

For the above two questions, I guess what I'm asking for more specifically is things like spacing, timing, and controller execution.

Would it be possible for you to roughly in Microsoft Paint sketch your moonwalk control stick path sequence, and in another drawing your second/multiple moonwalk control stick path sequence as to achieve utmost distance and efficiency or somehow verbally describe it in as much detail? I figure the former would save you a thousand words =P

G-Reg's thread has no organization and its nonsense/usefulness ratio is like 10 pages:1 post and response time is also seemingly abysmal. Thanks Cort keep up the awesome work! =)

Top Bottom