• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Cort

Apple Head
Only out of shield and specific spacing techniques, otherwise regular dashing is just as good in mostly every situation.

Composeur

Smash Ace
Nair out of shield. Obviously one of Peach's best moves, but I have two questions.

First, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a short-hopped nair compared to a ground-float one? Armada seems to prefer the former, so I'm wondering what the logic behind that is.

Second, I'm having problems consistently getting the move out fast enough to use against good players. Its speed is obviously what makes the move such an asset, and I've practiced enough to be able to do it reasonably well...except when the timing from the shield stun ****s with my timing, which is most of the time (against said good players). I find I either try to do it too soon, before the stun is over, and end up accidentally shield-grabbing or rolling or I lose some technical finesse and end up full-hop-nairing, missing them. Do you have any specific tools or principles you could suggest for this? Anything you can add is useful, especially things I can practice by myself.

Armada

Smash Lord
I does short-hopped nair out from shiled when the pressure is really fast (Falco/Fox for example) cause it´s faster (at least for me even if TAS maybe say something else :p).

I only use ground-float from shield if my opponent maked a slow move on my shield like
Marths F-smash
Dash attacks or something like this kind of moves

Cause many times you have a chance to follow up your opponent. A couple times they have bad DI so you can follow up and some timed they have good DI but you can still force them to misstakes

Ground-float-nair is also faster if you look from a vertically perspective.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Armada do you have any advice on the timing of nair out of shield? Like when do you know how to do it? Before the shine? After the shine? Do they have to mess up?

Wake

Smash Master
Yeah, I've wondered this as well. And what are the differences between Fox and Falco's shield pressures? Do you have to time the nair differently for both characters?

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
What are Peach's match ups in your opinion? Or if you can't be bothered writing a lot, what do you think are her best and worst tourny match ups?

thanks

Composeur

Smash Ace
Thanks, Armada! :)

I've told ARmada a few times he should have his own thread here. It'd be ridiculously popular, since he's pretty much written the textbook on how to play peach. I'm happy to have him answer my questions, even if it is on Cort's thread.

So I've been noticing that d-throw to f-tilt (of all things) combos on a low-% Marth. I don't think there are any other combos she can do off of a grab. What's the ideal way to follow up on that? Is there a combo or at least some advisable principles to this specific situation, as well as comboing him in general? I know it's hard to approach him, and of course I try with turnips, but generally it seems like I still get hit a lot because I don't specifically know how to stay outside his danger zone. It's always so much bigger than I expect...

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
He rarely posts.

His input in the current threads we already have is fine, but some elaboration is always welcome.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Most characters can jump out of it so its not really a "combo"

I know there are percentages where Sheik cant jump out of it, and you can up air. However most of the time you just wanna bait people to jump, and then juggle them with up-airs and dash attacks.

Its also a kill move post 130ish% on the spacies. If they DI you can sometimes catch them with an up-air, but if they dont DI (expecting the up-air or trying to trick you) then you can upsmash them.

Composeur

Smash Ace
Does d-throw have any serious utility, aside from praying they miss the tech and get d-smashed? It seems to give a free f-tilt on some characters at some %s, but I don't know if any of it is for certain.

Wake

Smash Master
hmmm I dunno about at the top levels, but for people around my level and against Peach, I like dthrow to dash attack. Not sure if it works at high levels though.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Dthrow *****.

You can Dthrow -> dash attack (if they DI away) almost every non-fast faller at mid-high percents.

You can Dthrow -> upsmash (if they dont DI) almost every non-fast faller at most percents, and it kills at high percents.

Theres the obvious Dthrow -> downsmash at low (depends on DI) percents. This is especially useful near an edge.

Last but not least, Dthrow is a chain grab if they dont know how to DI it. Play on the fact that not many people know you literally CANT DI it in front of Peach (I totally beat Mango in teams IN TOURNAMENT cuz of this, come at me bro).

Composeur

Smash Ace
Technical questions:

Dashing off a platform toward the middle > nair into the ground on a stage like BF, YS, or DL, is it generally more effective to fastfall before nairing or vice versa?

Is shield-dropping from a platform ever a useful escape? Against someone like Marth? I have issues figuring out how to get away when the dirty *******'s underneath me.

I had another question but I can't remember it.

edit: oh yeah, does peach's short-hop bair even need to be L-cancelled? It seems like there's no landing lag from it, but I just want to be sure. And yes, I'm aware that float-cancelled bairs would often be preferable to shffled ones.

eet

Smash Ace
Technical questions:

Dashing off a platform toward the middle > nair into the ground on a stage like BF, YS, or DL, is it generally more effective to fastfall before nairing or vice versa?

Is shield-dropping from a platform ever a useful escape? Against someone like Marth? I have issues figuring out how to get away when the dirty *******'s underneath me.

I had another question but I can't remember it.

edit: oh yeah, does peach's short-hop bair even need to be L-cancelled? It seems like there's no landing lag from it, but I just want to be sure. And yes, I'm aware that float-cancelled bairs would often be preferable to shffled ones.
For the Nairing off the platform, why not dash off the platform > float > fc nair - that way you reduce your lag and you could mix in a fair instead of nair depending on spacing. But yeah, you wanna fast fall after the aerial if you're floating and it doesn't matter if you're not floating, but I would fastfall after I pressed A but it's a bit situational depending on when you want to hit.

For Marth, I dunno. No Peach wants to be above a Marth on a platform ever lol. Try your best to get grounded and pull a turnip -- its tricky to approach marth without it but if you dont have time fc nair and dash attacks are your friend.

Bair might seem to have no lag, but that turns out to be wrong. It has 15 frames of landing lag, and only 7 when l-cancelled. I highly recommend you learn to spam fc-bair, though. They are **** if you can spam them on the ground spaced appropriately.

Also Dthrow is kinda good, but def not amazing. :x I do chase the tech sometimes, tho.

Top Bottom