• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Chip Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
Y.Link V. Fox
Bombs are sort of useless cuz Fox can shoot them back towards you same w/ Falco
Bombs are best for disractions.

Chip.

you know what to do
Y.Link V. Fox
Bombs are best for disractions.
Are you asking a question here or something?

lol I don't know how to respond :laugh:

except. . .

GOOD Fox and Falco players will almost NEVER use the Shine to block projectiles (on rare occasions they do)
Instead, they opt for ****** you with it ^_^

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice

except. . .

GOOD Fox and Falco players will almost NEVER use the Shine to block projectiles (on rare occasions they do)
He's saying how thier lazers can stop the bombs movement (that really needs to be changed for brawl)

Quiksilv

Smash Apprentice

except. . .

Vs a samus they will.

I second Luigi...Falco for teams sometimes...to counter a character / Young Link

Chip.

you know what to do
He's saying how thier lazers can stop the bombs movement (that really needs to be changed for brawl)
Then you use an arrow or boomerang instead of a bomb if you're far away and he's shooting lasers. They go through lasers. But if you're close, why would you want to spam projectiles anyway lol? Get in a Nair or combo starter or something in.

And I also think that he was refering to the Shine and not lasers:

When he says shoot them back towards you, it seems he's implying the trajectory the Shine sends objects at you. Lasers stop bombs in their place, NOT shooting them back towards you.

Just saying ^_^

Vs a samus they will.

I second Luigi...Falco for teams usually!
A good Fox will tend to only do that if the Samus is being campy with missle canceling and are far away from them on a large stage. The Fox has no better choice than to Shine and reflector the missles because missles are slow and fly at a straight trajectory which will come hit Samus. Even still, good Foxes usually don't reflector missles that often anyway.

Young Link's spam is different than Samus' in that it is much more versatile than her's. He can throw a quick bomb at Fox on the ground, wait for him to reflect, then full jump over the bomb and hit Fox's reflection lag with a rapey attack.

And I was refering to Fox not reflecting young Link;s projectiles that often.

Quiksilv

Smash Apprentice
I've always wanted to know, how does the pyroswordplant work???. I have done it a couple times never knowing how it works lol.

Chip.

you know what to do
I've always wanted to know, how does the pyroswordplant work???. I have done it a couple times never knowing how it works lol.

You're refering to the Fire Spike. It's a hitbox located on the Hilt of young Link's Kokiri Sword (but basically you're trying to hit them with young Link's head).

It's actually a Meteor Spike (meaning it can be meteor cancelled by jumping). Thing is, whenever you use the Fire Spike, it's so unexpected and surprising almost no one will have a chance to meteor cancel the immense speed that hits you down.

Yeah it hits you down HARD.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I've always wanted to know, how does the Super DUPER LAI FIRE COMBO work???. I have done it a couple times never knowing how it works lol.
You're refering to the Super DUPER LAI FIRE COMBO . It's a hitbox located on the Hilt of young Link's Kokiri Sword (but basically you're trying to hit them with young Link's head).

It's actually a Meteor Spike (meaning it can be meteor cancelled by jumping). Thing is, whenever you use the FSuper DUPER LAI FIRE COMBO , it's so unexpected and surprising almost no one will have a chance to meteor cancel the immense speed that hits you down.

Yeah it hits you down HARD.
Fixed for accuracy.

Chip.

you know what to do
Lmao, why would you name an attack after yourself when you didn't even discover it?

Find something worth naming yourself after; something useful

Chip.

you know what to do
To get on a USEFUL topic, I'm recording some friendlies with my brother Deva tonight
matches with like LOTS of charachters
So yeah, keep an eye on the horizen for them
along with vids with WA's finest in about two weeks from now

>_> <_< Does anyone have a question I'll be happy to answer? :colorful:

ToSsy

Smash Journeyman
I name all my attacks.
Running A is the Running Lai Slash
u-air is the lai pit of death
d-air is the lai death stab
etc etc
Lmao, nice...
But I say peach is a good alternative for YL users, she's easy to pick up (I picked her up in 2 days lol).
She has amazing recovery. But I say just try out all the other characters, see which ones you like, I'm currently in a dillemma who to second, Marth or Peach ;-;. I'll record a few friendlies between me and my friends soon. Jamaican smashers xD.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Lmao, nice...
But I say peach is a good alternative for YL users, she's easy to pick up (I picked her up in 2 days lol).
She has amazing recovery. But I say just try out all the other characters, see which ones you like, I'm currently in a dillemma who to second, Marth or Peach ;-;. I'll record a few friendlies between me and my friends soon. Jamaican smashers xD.
No.
No shes not.
Peach wins about the same amount of YL and has about the same amount of good matches as about YL does.

Honestly, if your looking for a secondary, then pick up characters who don't have bad match ups: Fox and Sheik. Marth has bad match ups and so does Peach. So pick up Fox and Sheik(Like I have. lol. If YL is failing me, those two ALWAYS pull through).

ToSsy

Smash Journeyman
No.
No shes not.
Peach wins about the same amount of YL and has about the same amount of good matches as about YL does.

Honestly, if your looking for a secondary, then pick up characters who don't have bad match ups: Fox and Sheik. Marth has bad match ups and so does Peach. So pick up Fox and Sheik(Like I have. lol. If YL is failing me, those two ALWAYS pull through).
So, what you're saying is, he should follow the crowd and use the characters everyone does? And he has a tourny in two weeks, there's no way he could reach pro/really good status with Fox, maybe shiek but not Fox. And just because a character has bad matchups doesn't mean other characters won't cover for those, like yl vs fox or marth vs fox, marth would be a better choice from my experience. And by the way, I was just stating that Peach is a fun character practically, and a good alternative, I wasn't saying she was pro/won all the time or anything.

RikyuXz.~

Smash Apprentice
I agree with laijin, Shiek is a really nice secondary for Y.Link users cause' if you're vs'ing a really pro counter to Y.Link, then you go ahead and switch with a character on the same level or higher. I'm currently learning shiek and find him to be not THAT hard to main as a secondary.

Chip.

you know what to do
Important!

You can post YOUR videos in this thread here

If you post vids of your young Link here and I'll be more than happy to critique them for you and lend you advice and what not

Jash has a video archives of good young Link players on this forum so remember to post your vids in there too.

But you should post the videos in here to get advice, and make your young Link get better, etc. ^_^

so yeah that's all

anyway

what are some good young link vids lol ?
I'll get vids in a couple days. Watch them and see what y'all think.

Every charachter in the game has bad matchups
For example, Sheik has trouble against Icies and the space animals (sort of)
Fox can have trouble with Marth - mainly on FD
If a charachter had no bad matchups then they would be basically perfect and should almost never lose.

ToSsy

Smash Journeyman
Every charachter in the game has bad matchups
For example, Sheik has trouble against Icies and the space animals (sort of)
Fox can have trouble with Marth - mainly on FD
If a charachter had no bad matchups then they would be basically perfect and should almost never lose.
Well said =]

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Nice thread Chip. But I disagree with one thing. Peach being easy for Y.Link. Sure he can camp her and combo her pretty bad........its Peach after all. nearly every character out thier mother can combo Peach. But if the Peach is smart and knows what they are doing, believe me, it wont be easy.

What gets her killed alot is Dsmashing from an FC attack and not paying no mind to the shield. then they get grabbed to a combo and die. How many of you have killed a Peach so many times cause of this? Of them dash attacking alot and not switching to some grabs and they get owned for it?

Camping Y.links Dont affect the character. they affect the player. The player gets pissed "dammit all he does is freaking run and shoot things at me. arrggghh!!!" Now in this state. He wont think clearly. He will not be thinking about your weak points. your habits. why he is getting comboed. He will rush at you blindly and take damage. Dash attack and Dsmash alot. FC so obviously that you shoot peach down with your weapon.

A peach player on point and knows this match up well. They will be patient. and watch you very closely. Your habits, your patterns. point point what you do. They can rush you down, but at the same time be patient if that makes any sense to you and know what I mean. And dont care how much time the battle takes. Peach cant let Y.Links camping piss them off. Let Y.Link get pissed off. then thats half the battle right there cause they wont think clearly.

Like me for instance. I know this match up 100%. Do I win all my matches? No it happens. I do play the average Peach and get beat up for it. But on point its ether a very close Match or I take the win. Camping Ones I play clever. Like there is something I noticed and I take advantage of it. if Y.Link has a Bomb in his hand, he cant use is basic attacks. All he can do is ether shoot another weapon (which is not very fast) or throw/Z drop the bomb. Some think this is not much. But it is. its all about using your head.

On my game I dont play the basic Peach. I'll turn into something your not use to. what you expect from a Peach wont really happen alot. its all random to keep you guessing.

Ether way is, if the Peach is on point, patient, plays it smart and does not get annoyed and of course know this match up, trust me, she will not be easy for you now matter how bad Y.Link can combo her. Maybe these Peach players that play Y.Link dont know how to handle him or just get annoyed by him. I'll be happy to play any Y.Link here and show you just how much of a pain Peach is when on point. and I think your easy list will change. I assume some of you are going to pound three? then if so I'll play you guys there. I wanna play chip the most.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Is that why i 3 stocked your y.link twice in a row yesterday if you dont need advice.
Upload the vids so you can get advice and i can see the ownage lol
i dnt have the vids my thing didnt work

and congrats. ********

Chip.

you know what to do
i dont need advice
Lmao everyone can use some advice n_n

i dnt have the vids my thing didnt work

and congrats. ********
Aww I wanted to see your young Link finally PDOT :laugh: that's too bad

Nice thread Chip.
Thanks =)

But I disagree with one thing. Peach being easy for Y.Link. Sure he can camp her and combo her pretty bad........its Peach after all. nearly every character out thier mother can combo Peach. But if the Peach is smart and knows what they are doing, believe me, it wont be easy.
I agree that if the Peach is smart and knows what he/she is doing then of course it will not at all easy. This theory applies with any charachter matchup. If both players are very good and play intelligently, then the outcome tends to be very close, even if one player is using a charachter that counters the other player's charachter.

What gets her killed alot is Dsmashing from an FC attack and not paying no mind to the shield. then they get grabbed to a combo and die. How many of you have killed a Peach so many times cause of this? Of them dash attacking alot and not switching to some grabs and they get owned for it?
I completely agree

If Peach players gained the habit of grabbing out of an FC Fair on young Link's sheild instead of Dsmashing, they would be punishing instead of getting punished :laugh:

Of course, at that point young Link would roll away then to not get grabbed.

Camping Y.links Dont affect the character. they affect the player. The player gets pissed "dammit all he does is freaking run and shoot things at me. arrggghh!!!" Now in this state. He wont think clearly. He will not be thinking about your weak points. your habits. why he is getting comboed. He will rush at you blindly and take damage. Dash attack and Dsmash alot. FC so obviously that you shoot peach down with your weapon.
Your right in saying that the spam from young Link can affect the other opponent's mentality. This is where mindgames and intelligent thinking must play in: discovering weak points in your opponent, punishing their bad habits, logically reason out why you are getting comboed/losing a stock from their edgeguarding. These are ALL the reasons that decipher who will win in tournament matches: who's the smarter/ better player?

So basically thinking through against young Link's spam game isn't merely thinking through young Link, but your opponent. How well does the opposing young Link spam? Does he leave openings after he lands or does he rely too much on all the projectiles? You also have to consider the options that Peach has as a charachter on how well do they do to neutralize young Link's spam game. A good Peach player may be good at closing in on a campy young Link simply because they are good enough and well experienced enough to get through BUT that does not mean Peach herself as a charachter has good options to get through the spam. Peach is slow and limited in speed both on the air and on the ground which is why young Link can **** her hard with his projectiles. If she floats in the air, she can be hit by a boomerang -> bomb or whatever, or if she's on the ground then you can simply shoot a bomb or arrow and then pressure her with well spaced fairs (so her up B or bad grab range won't hit you).

Now, I'm going to go on a small tangent here for the benefit of illustrating my point, so bear with me. Now, if you look on Fox on the other hand (imo one of young Link's hardest matchup) he has MANY options to get through to decimate young Link's campy abilities. He has his very quick shuffled Nairs: one of the quickest possibly in the game in which he is literally a speeding bullet of incalculable priority. He uses the speed of both short hopped and full hopped Nairs to gain ground through a thrown out boomerang and will eat it alive since young Link's boomerang's priority is pretty low. Once Fox hits with a Nair, then the **** fest begins in which I don't feel the need to go into detail -_-. Of course, that does not mean young Link has no options at all against Fox. From here you have to become a smarter and better player to learn a way to evade and counter Fox's method of approach (see the pattern here?). The young Link player must learn different options at that point. Now what could young Link do here? He can always wavedash back from Fox and then unleash a punishing grab or Dsmash to hit the Fox in the duration of his landing and L-cancel of his Nair. It works!

All I'm saying is, is that because if a very good Peach can beat a very good young Link it's because the Peach was smarter as a player to find a good way to weave around young Link's mass of projectiles NOT because Peach as a charachter is good at getting around projectiles, because she isn't.

I know you already understand the concepts that I am telling you about whoever plays more intelligently will undoubtedly win the match, but that is different from charachter specific matchups. I believe young Link as a charachter has an advantage over Peach but that does NOT mean a good young Link will always beat a good Peach.

A peach player on point and knows this match up well. They will be patient. and watch you very closely. Your habits, your patterns. point point what you do. They can rush you down, but at the same time be patient if that makes any sense to you and know what I mean. And dont care how much time the battle takes. Peach cant let Y.Links camping piss them off. Let Y.Link get pissed off. then thats half the battle right there cause they wont think clearly.
Exactly, it comes down to who the better player is in the matchup and not the charachter matchup itself. That's why I believe young Link still has the advantage over Peach.

Like me for instance. I know this match up 100%. Do I win all my matches? No it happens. I do play the average Peach and get beat up for it. But on point its ether a very close Match or I take the win. Camping Ones I play clever. Like there is something I noticed and I take advantage of it. if Y.Link has a Bomb in his hand, he cant use is basic attacks. All he can do is ether shoot another weapon (which is not very fast) or throw/Z drop the bomb. Some think this is not much. But it is. its all about using your head.
Yep :)

Ether way is, if the Peach is on point, patient, plays it smart and does not get annoyed and of course know this match up, trust me, she will not be easy for you now matter how bad Y.Link can combo her. Maybe these Peach players that play Y.Link dont know how to handle him or just get annoyed by him. I'll be happy to play any Y.Link here and show you just how much of a pain Peach is when on point. and I think your easy list will change. I assume some of you are going to pound three? then if so I'll play you guys there.
I've played an amazing Peach main by the name of BladeWise. He is the best Peach in Washington (after Sastopher retired about 9 months ago) and is complete **** at the game. He beat Ka-master once in tournament a couple months ago. Yeah, Ka-master is that one Luigi guy who kinda beat Forward, Taj, and other guys at FC Diamond in the tournament and placed 9th lol =P

Youtube BladeWise up; you can see some **** matches of him vs Silent Wolf, Eggz, and Jumpfreak.

Yeah, I already agree that Peach is a ridiculously annoying matchup and I think almost everyone can agree with me on that. Everyone hates fighting her because she's stupid and annoying to fight (you should take that as a compliment too). Despite that, I still find her by far the easiest of all the higher tiered matchups, with Marth as a far second.

I honestly would want to fight her more than like any other tournament worthy charachter.

I wanna play chip the most.
sure no problem I'll look forward to it ^_^

$10 MM?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
"All I'm saying is, is that because if a very good Peach can beat a very good young Link it's because the Peach was smarter as a player to find a good way to weave around young Link's mass of projectiles NOT because Peach as a charachter is good at getting around projectiles, because she isn't."

And that was my Point. there are 2 types of weaknesses when in a match. one is the character. whatever it is. and the other is the player themselves. what they do with there character. what attack they do when they get scared or flinch. etc.............you get the idea.

and yea. I'll take that MM. 'm Gonna show you a Peach you are not use too my friend. this is gonna be fun

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Cheap is annoying

oops I meant peach.

Chip.

you know what to do
and yea. I'll take that MM. 'm Gonna show you a Peach you are not use too my friend. this is gonna be fun
Okay, but I can't make any promises in being there. It's a hefty price to fly to Maryland for *Pound* 3 and back ($375 per person).

I can't wait for this mm. My young Link might be a surprise for ya

this is going to be fun :laugh:

Chip.

you know what to do
And that was my Point. there are 2 types of weaknesses when in a match. one is the character. whatever it is. and the other is the player themselves. what they do with there character. what attack they do when they get scared or flinch. etc.............you get the idea.
Exactly my point, so I concur ^_^

You have like november matches on youtube and your showing march matches lol.
Upload them PDOT lol :laugh:

so...

any questions, vids I can rate, anything from anybody pl0x?

RikyuXz.~

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to a tourney medium sized Jan.5th.. I forgot what it was called.. The tourney's that Evan hosts.. ugh.. maybe you've been to one chip, but anyway, point being is I might have some vids of myself after that.

Top Bottom