• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

October 18th (sat), Wii Fighting Game Monthlies @ Get Your Game On in Ann Arbor, MI

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I agree OS mk needs to be banned, but until then im gonna see if mk makes a big difference for me, if he does i can say i hate this game 100% and officially quit...until of course mk is banned.
I'm a step ahead of you

Danithak

Smash Rookie
(btw, there is no rivalry between UofM and MSU, even though most people think there is.)
It's the Spartans that try and claim that there's a rivalry. Every year we fight them here they're shouting GREEN AND WHITE up and down the streets at all hours of the day/night/early morning.

That, and Mike Hart severely pissed them off last year. And they're probably going to pound our ***** this year because we lost to a MAC team.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
I'm a step ahead of you
I'll catch up next tourney. ive been playing alot of friendlies with mk latley and every time i play him i go wow i don't believe he can do this **** its not even fair. and that's without me planking.

Edit: also OS your sig is to good man mind if i steal the ban mk?

Yeah Omni Meta/G+W team ftw.
almost as good as ganon falcon ;)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
EVERYONE should steal it. Everyone should put it in their sig, cut-off or not. I stole it from some other random guy.

And I mean I'm a step ahead of you because I'm already at the point of "quit this game". I'm only going to MWC events because Joshu and I have teams points and I don't want to hurt his chances... after January I'm just done unless MK is banned, at least around here.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
EVERYONE should steal it. Everyone should put it in their sig, cut-off or not. I stole it from some other random guy.

And I mean I'm a step ahead of you because I'm already at the point of "quit this game". I'm only going to MWC events because Joshu and I have teams points and I don't want to hurt his chances... after January I'm just done unless MK is banned, at least around here.
ahh i see. well i agree with you, and ill be in the same situation as you soon. (with quitting not circuit points)

TheMann

Smash Ace
Come on now everybody, Metaknight's not such a bad guy when u get to know him.

I'm sure he trained non-stop while melee was out to be the best character ever in brawl. And look what he gets for his work, a bunch of haters.

You know what? I suggest a Metaknight only side tourney. Who needs other characters? STEP YA METAKNIGHT GAME UP PEOPLE!!!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Come on now everybody, Metaknight's not such a bad guy when u get to know him.

I'm sure he trained non-stop while melee was out to be the best character ever in brawl. And look what he gets for his work, a bunch of haters.

You know what? I suggest a Metaknight only side tourney. Who needs other characters? STEP YA METAKNIGHT GAME UP PEOPLE!!!
They had this already, it was called Hobo 11.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Why does anyone care about MK in Michigan? The only person who uses him is Rofa...
and me and Omni now :D

but it is more principle of the matter anymore. I don't want a future with MK in tournaments, so I just don't go to tournaments where it is a possibility. If enough people do the same, MK will be banned and we're good to go. If they don't, I just stay home and don't waste my time playing a character that isn't Metaknight or playing a character I hate. Win/win.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Starting in November I'm banning Metaknight officially. Scotu, I would hope that you would do the same.

BTW, the next tournament is officially November 16th. It is a Sunday. Scotu, we'll need to work it out so we don't have a conflict.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hopefully the circuit will have Metaknight banned in the spring. If it does, I'll have no reason to quit :D

Or we could just make a no MK circuit o_O

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
Overswarm, that post was the best **** thing ever written on smashboards. Mad Props man.

Also panda Mk is dumb i never played him before and used him to CP your snake on rainbow cruise forcing you to play someone you had no clue how to......thats why brawl...NO MK IS THE NEW MAGNETO.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Why do you feel obligated to play MK if he isn't banned? Nobody else in MI other than Rofa plays MK. You're taking online games waaay too seriously. And if online games aren't the reason... then there shouldn't actually be one for you playing MK.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Why do you feel obligated to play MK if he isn't banned? Nobody else in MI other than Rofa plays MK. You're taking online games waaay too seriously. And if online games aren't the reason... then there shouldn't actually be one for you playing MK.
I play MK in MW tournaments the same reason I don't play Captain Falcon in friendlies at smashfests....

I'm playing to improve myself and to better myself so that I can be prepared at the best level of play. I would like to travel and compete against the best of the best and go to national tournaments.

MK makes this impossible unless I main MK myself.

So playing anyone else with the intent of winning when there are metaknights is just as foolish as playing Captain Falcon at my smashfest with the intent of winning when I'm at a tournament.

I'm well aware that people are supposed to play top tier characters... I played Fox and Marth in Melee, among others. But here there is only one character that is at that level, and it doesn't make sense to play anyone else. Sure, I might have fun traveling to the MW tournaments... but it's only a matter of time before there are national tournaments I want to attend but cannot. What would probably happen sooner though is that good players would just pick up MK... we already kind of have that happening, except the good players that pick him up just get disgusted and plan to quit.

I predicted everything that has happened so far on the national scene, and I'll go ahead and let you know what happens on the local scene.

Starting around next season, you'll be missing a few key names including myself from your events. Because of this, a few people will be momentarily excited because now that they don't have to run into players like me, they believe they have a chance to win. After a tournament or two this will settle down again and you'll get consistent results, and the players that don't have a chance to win but merely want to improve will start to either leave or main Metaknight. They will do better, but still won't win.... because MK isn't a win button, he's just the best choice. You still have to be good. As these mediocre players start playing with MK more, everyone directly above them and everyone below them have to deal with it. Anther and Joel won't have much of an issue with them as they just beat them via skill, but those below them will have to start picking MK to deal with players on their own level. One, maybe two, will become a threat at high levels of play.

The overall tournament results will stay the same for a long while, but you're going to lose all your bottom placers as well as a large number of your top players that simply don't want a one character game.

On a national scene, eventually people will just get sick of maining MK except for the people who are taking the top spots with him. This will bring about the illusion that MK isn't a problem, especially when you have a wildcard here or there beating good MKs with an odd character once in a while. In reality, MK is just as broken. It's just people got bored of playing him and getting 5th, so now they're maining their favorite character and getting 9th and are happier about it.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
@ panda: MK is imo wolfs hardest matchup and the most aggravating matchup for myself, Especially when planking happens. Mk has a response to every action, every level, every playstyle in the game. This means if the player is on your level skill wise if you dont play MK and they do you're gonna lose regardless of the level or playstyle.

In melee fox was top tier but could get 0-death'd by marth captain falcon falco and even mewtwo. The day Captain falcon in brawl can 0- death a MK is the day i will say mk is not broke and will never john about mk being a god again. The day anyone can 0-death mk id be impressed.

In other fighters characters had a way to get around the god tier character (with the exception of Akuma in SFTII and possibly justice in GGXX, but they were banned anyway) now i know in smash theres always a way but, mk can quickly change to beat it. either it by camping stalling or just beasting. he has every option, much like how akuma, Justice, Cliff and magneto did. i almost forgot those characters took skill to play though mk does not.

I dislike MK because he makes the game boring for me, i dont take this game serious, im just bored of being CP'd by MK because "they can" " hes easy to play" "he ***** you" or because they can out camp me with him and it forces me to play a dead end matchup. in melee i could do fox vs marth and still win. in brawl theres no hope for wolf on rainbow cruise vs MK how am i supposed to win?

I don't like the idea Of kids going well mk is easy to play so ill play him vs you and probally win because your wolf.

Btw this is all my opinion and my view so don't tell me im wrong, i will listen and respect your opinion i hope you do so for me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yuyuko jA 2B 6A, or corner jA 5AAA 6A 2C.
Nanaya 2ABC5C jBC jBC airthrow.
Meta Knight uair uair shuttleloop.

lol, if Meta Knight were the character everyone describes him as he'd be my favorite character gameplay wise.

Shaeden

Smash Journeyman
Starting around next season, you'll be missing a few key names including myself from your events. Because of this, a few people will be momentarily excited because now that they don't have to run into players like me, they believe they have a chance to win.
I'm not going to lie, this made me laugh uncontrollably.. i'm not sure why...

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
@ panda: MK is imo wolfs hardest matchup and the most aggravating matchup for myself, Especially when planking happens. Mk has a response to every action, every level, every playstyle in the game. This means if the player is on your level skill wise if you dont play MK and they do you're gonna lose regardless of the level or playstyle.
Indeed. Then you should probably learn how to play MK dittos well, or find another character you want to use to counter MK. Surprisingly enough, many characters in the game have hard counters. If you don't want to try and play that matchup... then switch characters when someone chooses MK. Is it really that hard to do?

And anyways, this is irrelevant for this tournament or any local tournament at all. Nobody plays MK other than Rofa in MI. Nobody planks with MK in MI. Everything you're saying here is irrelevant to the MI smash scene.

I dislike MK because he makes the game boring for me, i dont take this game serious, im just bored of being CP'd by MK because "they can" " hes easy to play" "he ***** you" or because they can out camp me with him and it forces me to play a dead end matchup. in melee i could do fox vs marth and still win. in brawl theres no hope for wolf on rainbow cruise vs MK how am i supposed to win?
Who does that? The only time someone chose MK on a stupid stage to beat me, despite them not using MK, was when I played you. But generally, nobody in MI does that.

Do you see what I'm getting at with this? While what you're saying may be true for other regions, its not true for the midwest, and certainly not true for MI. So why do you care?

Btw this is all my opinion and my view so don't tell me im wrong, i will listen and respect your opinion i hope you do so for me.
You're not wrong at all. You're just looking at a much larger scale than you probably should be in this situation.

I'm playing to improve myself and to better myself so that I can be prepared at the best level of play. I would like to travel and compete against the best of the best and go to national tournaments.

MK makes this impossible unless I main MK myself.
I've participated in these debates enough to know exactly what your reasoning is on this issue. And for the most part, I completely agree with a lot of your logic. But there is one thing that I never understood... Why don't you just pick MK for MK dittos? If MK is the problem, then switch characters solely for MK. Pour your time and research into learning how to win in MK dittos, and then use ROB for everything else. Whats wrong with that?

Starting around next season, you'll be missing a few key names including myself from your events.
Other than yourself, there aren't any other key names in the midwest that want to quit this game because of MK. Although I do hope you reconsider quitting altogether.

Because of this, a few people will be momentarily excited because now that they don't have to run into players like me, they believe they have a chance to win. After a tournament or two this will settle down again and you'll get consistent results, and the players that don't have a chance to win but merely want to improve will start to either leave or main Metaknight.
Uh... there is a jump in logic right there. Why is maining MK or leaving the only option for players that don't have a chance to win but just want to improve? Given, maining MK is the "best" option right now, but it is far from the only option.

As these mediocre players start playing with MK more, everyone directly above them and everyone below them have to deal with it.
Again, you're making a jump in logic by saying all mediocre players will chose MK. With a Pikachu winning nearly every midwest event he goes to, I think that the diversity in the higher level players (and the lack of MK) in the midwest is becomes something of a goal to these mediocre players to play with the character they want to. Anther, Joel, Tink, yourself, and a few others are the role models for the mediocre players. And none of you play MK. No, not even you. A mediocre player will continue to see you as the ROB main, even though you're playing MK at the moment.

While the situation you're describing is most definitely a possibility... I just don't see it happening in the midwest, or at least not for quite some time. And who knows? With other tournaments starting to ban MK, it may catch on and spread across the regions. But only the future will tell for that.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Why don't you just pick MK for MK dittos? If MK is the problem, then switch characters solely for MK. Pour your time and research into learning how to win in MK dittos, and then use ROB for everything else. Whats wrong with that?
this...

ftw

though i think theyre gonna come in here and say "but if mk is not banned then everyone will just use mk, thereby making every match an mk ditto so rob is pointless"

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
@ panda: I plank with MK to show a kid who dosent play him can win by being stupid.
and yes, no one in michigan does MAIN mk except for rofa. And you mean To tell me people dont CP me with MK ever in the midwest? your wrong, theres been many times where Mk has been used against me. The Mann did it to me ( a weegee main as you know) Earthhero did it to me (pit main i think?) Dr. X has done it to me (pit main) Kids at waaa have done it to me even though they werent good. I have been put into losers 90% by mk alone and elminated MOSTLY by rofa (mk) anther(mk in diquise) Joel (gaw who wants to learn snake and MK) and lain (IC's).

If i win by picking a character i never played against you before something is wrong. Especially if its a CP I've only done to you what many have done to me. in the midwest scarecrow in pools camped and spammed me, kel camped and spammed me rofa spammed me aggressivly, and countless others played mk against me.

The only reason im freaking out is because I NOW HAVE TO LEARN METAKNIGHT, Even if it is just for MK dittos. where in melee i was never forced to learn a top tier character because even mewtwo could 0-death fox and falco

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
cant wait im bringin Ham me and another friend who came with me last time i can bring a wii with brawl ;)

c u all there

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Indeed. Then you should probably learn how to play MK dittos well, or find another character you want to use to counter MK. Surprisingly enough, many characters in the game have hard counters. If you don't want to try and play that matchup... then switch characters when someone chooses MK. Is it really that hard to do?
Yes, it is.

Your advice is to play one character on the side... to deal with the opponent's main who is the same character? -_^

How long do you think you could keep that up? Something tells me that the opponent might have a bit more Meta experience :p

And anyways, this is irrelevant for this tournament or any local tournament at all. Nobody plays MK other than Rofa in MI. Nobody planks with MK in MI. Everything you're saying here is irrelevant to the MI smash scene.
I want to travel, and don't play in tournaments just for fun. I play to win, and to continually improve myself. It's a challenge I enjoy that is absent when MK is in the mix. MK is the end result, no matter which path you take.

Also, Scarecrow plays MK. I play MK. Omni now plays MK. Kel plays MK.

I didn't plank at the last tournament because it doesn't work particularly well against Pika or G&W and I didn't need to against anyone else, but I'm planning on stalling the timer out on every single match including pools at the next tournament to accent what MK can do, so you won't be able to say that for long :p

Do you see what I'm getting at with this? While what you're saying may be true for other regions, its not true for the midwest, and certainly not true for MI. So why do you care?
The MW isn't the world. I have to drive 4.5 hours for a tournament for every single one... that's a huge time investment, and if I double that I could go to the EC which I was originally planning on doing with Vayseth, Bloodhawk, Anther, and a few others... but I don't feel like wading through MKs nor do I feel like maining MK.

You're not wrong at all. You're just looking at a much larger scale than you probably should be in this situation.
Looking at it locally is blinding. If we don't have a problem with Shadow Moses at all simply because we don't have any D3's but Joshu, does that mean it should be unbanned?

I've participated in these debates enough to know exactly what your reasoning is on this issue. And for the most part, I completely agree with a lot of your logic. But there is one thing that I never understood... Why don't you just pick MK for MK dittos? If MK is the problem, then switch characters solely for MK. Pour your time and research into learning how to win in MK dittos, and then use ROB for everything else. Whats wrong with that?
I could do that... but what's the point? That's limiting myself. There's no reason to do that. If I'm going to limit myself, I shouldn't be playing in tournaments. I know I'm good enough to win a fair fight, and I know I'm good enough to overcome a disadvantage. I don't have anything to "prove" to myself... so why waste my time with a character that is garbage compared to Metaknight, especially when it takes so little effort to play MK?

Other than yourself, there aren't any other key names in the midwest that want to quit this game because of MK. Although I do hope you reconsider quitting altogether.
Give it time.

Uh... there is a jump in logic right there. Why is maining MK or leaving the only option for players that don't have a chance to win but just want to improve? Given, maining MK is the "best" option right now, but it is far from the only option.
It's not a jump, it is a sequence. Of course, another option is to continuously lose... but if you think "getting better" is an option in comparison with "pick Metaknight", it isn't. People will just pick MK and that'll be the end of the conflict for them.

I haven't thought about a single matchup since I picked up MK. I just up+b at the right times, d-smash at the right times, retreating fair and f-smash, and tornado over and over again.

Again, you're making a jump in logic by saying all mediocre players will chose MK. With a Pikachu winning nearly every midwest event he goes to, I think that the diversity in the higher level players (and the lack of MK) in the midwest is becomes something of a goal to these mediocre players to play with the character they want to. Anther, Joel, Tink, yourself, and a few others are the role models for the mediocre players. And none of you play MK. No, not even you. A mediocre player will continue to see you as the ROB main, even though you're playing MK at the moment.
I haven't played ROB in a while... I played two games with ROB against smash64 this weekend (lost one, won one), and before that I had a MM with Legan that I won unconvincingly, and before that it was the tournament with DSF. I'm not a ROB main anymore, there's just no reason to play him.

btw, Tink will end up picking up MK and winning. I'm calling it now. Give him two tournaments maining MK.

While the situation you're describing is most definitely a possibility... I just don't see it happening in the midwest, or at least not for quite some time. And who knows? With other tournaments starting to ban MK, it may catch on and spread across the regions. But only the future will tell for that.
I won't be there though. I'm not playing catch-up like I did in Melee, and I'm not sticking around to wait for people to get their heads together.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
:urg: at everyone using metaknight

and anyone looking for a doubles partner? Id prefer to team with a metaknight...jk....but not really/

seriously though teams anyone?

Vayseth

Smash Master
ALRIGHT. ENOUGH.

This is MY thread and I don't want a metaknight discussion going on in it. Take it somewhere else. I don't want to turn people off who want to talk about the actual tournament when everyone else is being an idiot and discussing useless information.

MK will not be banned at this tournament, and that's all ANYONE needs to know.

Top Bottom