• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obscure / Lesser Known Nintendo Franchises Support Thread! (Custom Robo, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Mach Rider, etc.)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
id love to see the summoning sprites of the various units for their moveset a bit like pac man's smash attacks
Yeah i'm fine with either using the GBA sprites or actual-sized units.

Although I guess from a dev standpoint, using the GBA sprites would be easier to use than creating a bunch of different models for the units.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man, if somehow Tin Star got revived via Smash like Pit and Kid Icarus did that’d be some kind of amazing. That SNES game has a glorious soundtrack
That would be legitimately surprising, seeing as that was created by the British company Software Creations, same guys as Plok. Though it doesn't hurt that Brawl acknowledged the game in the Chronicle.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah i'm fine with either using the GBA sprites or actual-sized units.

Although I guess from a dev standpoint, using the GBA sprites would be easier to use than creating a bunch of different models for the units.
it would, though maybe one 3d model for an on screen entrance

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
A moveset that emphasizes strategy. i.e. Strategically buying and utilizing units from funds garnished in battle (just like the series he's from). Advance Wars is home to a wealth of different units like infantry, tanks, indirect units, sea, air units so Andy being able to summon any of these would give him lots of tools in a competitive context. If you want me to give you an example of how Andy's moveset would work I can give it to you. It's something that's never been done in Smash Bros before.

Andy himself (or any CO for that matter) has never been shown fighting before but that leave creative liberties for Sakurai to take with his wrench attacks (just like how he did :ultfalcon:and :ultfox:to a lesser extent).
Sure if you have a creative idea I'd like to hear it.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Part-Time UFO
Dragalia Lost

Games of Nintendo's Mobile divison. Well, PTU was developed by HAL, so they are probably first party, Draglia is maybe also first party becuase Nintendo co-made it, so would they have to ask Cygames for the rights. I don't know.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I still don't think it's a problem. Custom Robo's IP isn't owned by Nintendo anymore. And they still got permission to add spirits of Characters from the franchise in. I think Lolo will AT LEAST be a spirit, because it's a game with big impact.
Nintendo still owns the Custom Robo IP, the trademark that lapsed was just for a specific game and isn’t anything out of the ordinary (it’s happened before with games like Punch-Out)

Also ease of use is one thing and ownership is another. Given the close relationship Nintendo has with HAL, I don’t doubt it would be easy to get a Lolo Spirit (I mean, they got a Rayman Spirit), but that doesn’t mean it’s first-party.

Part-Time UFO
Dragalia Lost

Games of Nintendo's Mobile divison. Well, PTU was developed by HAL, so they are probably first party, Draglia is maybe also first party becuase Nintendo co-made it, so would they have to ask Cygames for the rights. I don't know.
Part-Time UFO appears to be one of those rare games that HAL makes with zero input from Nintendo, so I don’t think they own that either.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Part-Time UFO appears to be one of those rare games that HAL makes with zero input from Nintendo, so I don’t think they own that either.
Part-Time UFO is owned by HAL, but.... HAL is owned by Nintendo. Lolo and PTU are technically Second Party, not ine the bulk off Nintendo but still owned by Nintendo, though in the trademark it just says PTU is owned by HAL. But if Nintendo owns HAL, and HAL owns the content, and Nintendo wants to use it, then its a second party.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Still holding out for Takamaru to be playable eventually in a Smash game. I honestly care more about a Mysterious Murasame Castle revival anyways.
At least his game is on the 3DS e-shop. Only trouble is whether that'll be on the Switch, too.

Part-Time UFO is owned by HAL, but.... HAL is owned by Nintendo. Lolo and PTU are technically Second Party, not ine the bulk off Nintendo but still owned by Nintendo, though in the trademark it just says PTU is owned by HAL. But if Nintendo owns HAL, and HAL owns the content, and Nintendo wants to use it, then its a second party.
Honestly, I think Lolo could be used as a surprise character, seeing as his series has been dead for decades and Sakurai has made use of a parallel universe version of him and Lala early on in Kirby.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
At least his game is on the 3DS e-shop. Only trouble is whether that'll be on the Switch, too.

Honestly, I think Lolo could be used as a surprise character, seeing as his series has been dead for decades and Sakurai has made use of a parallel universe version of him and Lala early on in Kirby.
Lolo and Lala as a duo character like ice climbers, but they use blocks and throws and stuff instead of hammers.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
HAL isn’t owned by Nintendo though, that’s a common misconception.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sure if you have a creative idea I'd like to hear it.
Well the moveset would deal with Andy using his wrenches as his melee attacks and would have unique attributes to them like catching items, trapping foes, and healing his damaged units. As I said, this is where Sakurai would take creative liberties with Andy's moveset like how he did Falcon and Fox.

Andy's specials would reflect the Advance Wars series in that he purchases units from a fund counter (displayed in his stock icon). The more damage Andy inflicts and takes, the more funds he gets. His Down special would let him create a city that speeds up the funds he gets (as is the case with Advance Wars). Then of course his Neutral special would be him buying the units through a small sub-menu (think Shulk's Monado Arts kinda) but it cycles through the various different Advance Wars units (Infantry, Tanks, Indirect Units, Sea Units, and of course Air Units) all priced differently. The Up special would be something like a T-Copter or a B-Copter and his Side special would be a Mech rocket like Snakes's although it's faster but can't be controlled (like how it is in Advance Wars). Andy's Final Smash would be a Megatank (from Dual Strike) wielded by Max that goes trigger happy, obliterating everyone in it's path. Either that or a Carpet Bomb from the Bomber/Fighter units.

If Sakurai wanted to include CO Powers in the mix, Hyper Repair and/or Hyper Upgrade can be thrown in as a separate mechanic or even his Final Smash (healing himself and getting a stats upgrade, possibly even getting his units upgraded as well). Though with his Fund system, that might be a bit too much for a beginner to take in.

Sorry if that description was really brief but I just wanted to get to the gist of what Andy brings to the table without going super in-depth on everything. I plan on making a comprehensive moveset soon anyways.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Honestly for an Advance Wars rep I prefer Sami
Andy, being the face of the franchise should be the one to represent the franchise or should there ever be a new Advance Wars game, the main protag from that game. Wars being represented by a side character isn't right although i'll admit that Andy is also my preferred choice.

Although at this juncture i'll take anyone really. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
But bias aside, adding Sami before Andy would be like having Falco without Fox.
That's exactly my though process as well. A franchise not being represented by it's main character is wack. Although I think Sami could make for a good Echo Fighter/Semi-Clone of Snake if Andy got in.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Custom Robo was such a fun game, really wish they'd come out with another decent one again for switch.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Honestly I would love it if these games got characters, but a sequel or remake would be good too ;-;
Sequel or remake is fine with me when it comes to Advance Wars. I don't care if they remade the GBA/Wars World games on the 3DS, Switch, Mobile, or whatever. Just something to bring the franchise back to life.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sequel or remake is fine with me when it comes to Advance Wars. I don't care if they remade the GBA/Wars World games on the 3DS, Switch, Mobile, or whatever. Just something to bring the franchise back to life.
i think the franchises dormancy is the only thing thats kept its characters out of smash

SPEN18

Smash Champion
i think the franchises dormancy is the only thing thats kept its characters out of smash
Well Advance Wars wasn't dormant when Brawl was planned but it still just got an assist. Brawl had a lot of heavy competition, though.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
it was also poorly mishandled in Japan

so much late releases for a game that definitely wouldve been popular in JP
And the game that did release in Japan had **** marketing that sabotaged any chance of success.

Such a pity. It's the case with a bunch of franchises that were left for dead. If they got another chance on the Switch, they would def have a chance to succeed. I feel Advance Wars and Golden Sun are easy million sellers if they get revived on the Switch.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Warms my heart to see people remember Tin Star

Anyone remember the Game Boy pinball game 'Revenge of the Gator'? Those little gator guys with the jackets and spears and imperial german spiked helmets, they'd be obscure for sure
I remember, so out of left feild i love it

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Golden Sun (Isaac, obviously)
Advance Wars (Andy, obviously)
Custom Robo (hopefully Ray MKIII)
Sin & Punishment (Would prefer Isa, but Saki is fine too I guess)
Rhythm Heaven (I want Chorus Kids, but Marshal or Karate Joe are also cool)
Boxboy (Qbby, obviously)
Chibi Robo (surprised he isn't in Smash already)

Lark is okay too I guess, for that one guy who really likes him on here.

This isn't really an obscure series, but I actually wouldn't mind a Mii fighter whose moveset is based on Wii Sports. The alt costumes could be characters from the game, in particular: Gabi, Matt, Haru, Jake, Keiko, Luca, Masaki, and Takumi.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
This isn't really an obscure series, but I actually wouldn't mind a Mii fighter whose moveset is based on Wii Sports. The alt costumes could be characters from the game, in particular: Gabi, Matt, Haru, Jake, Keiko, Luca, Masaki, and Takumi.
Wow that's great, I'd love to see that. More Mii Fighters would be a lot of fun.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Lark is okay too I guess, for that one guy who really likes him on here.
Er... that, uh... that would be me.:lol:

Wait, so there ARE other 'established' Mii characters Nintendo's made besides Nikki and the StreetPass characters?

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo still owns the Custom Robo IP, the trademark that lapsed was just for a specific game and isn’t anything out of the ordinary (it’s happened before with games like Punch-Out)

Also ease of use is one thing and ownership is another. Given the close relationship Nintendo has with HAL, I don’t doubt it would be easy to get a Lolo Spirit (I mean, they got a Rayman Spirit), but that doesn’t mean it’s first-party.

I think you are right though I hope Nintendo is in there somewhere. I recently played through PTU and found it very charming and fun. Plus Qbby appears in game (who is 2nd party I think??)

Also! The Labo toycon VR Plaza appears to have a game that stars a very familiar looking UFO with a deployable crane gimmick..... top, center frame.
A3B8F3B8-232B-4CA3-872D-2085A46CD5E3.jpeg

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Does Fossil Fighters count? Because if so then there’s a criminal lack of Fossil Fighters here.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wandering Hero from StreetPass Mii Plaza would be a good addition to the roster.

Wandering Heroes are Miis that use swordplay and magic. They use different types of magic depending on their shirt color. For that reason, the alternate costumes are the species and their fur colors or genders, not their shirt colors.

Default - brown cat
Alt 1 - black cat
Alt 2 - brown dog
Alt 3 - black dog
Alt 4 - white rabbit
Alt 5 - pink rabbit (resembles Arcade Bunny)
Alt 6 - human male (resembles Prince from Find Mii)
Alt 7 - human female (resembles Princess from Find Mii)

What makes Wandering Hero stand out from the other swordfighters is their random magic. All Wandering Heroes have the same normal moves (swordplay), Down Special, and Final Smash but they all have different special moves (magic). Their special moves are from Find Mii and Mii Force. There are 12 different colors so... 12 x 3 (neutral, side, and up) = 36 special moves for Wandering Heroes. Down Special is switching to a different Wandering Hero with a random different shirt color. Oh, losing a stock will also result in respawning as a different Wandering Hero with a random different shirt color.

The shirt colors and their magic are (in alphabetical order):

Black - dark magic and Bomb Blaster
Blue - water magic and Hunting Snark
Brown - summoning magic and Harpoon Gun
Cyan - ice magic and Rippling Wave
Green - boosting magic and Bouncing Ball
Lime - sleep magic and Ensnaring Plasma
Orange - invigorating magic and Piercing Laser
Pink - daring magic and Sticky Shot
Purple - poison magic and Annhilating Charge
Red - fire magic and Blazing Flame
White - light magic and Cosmic Cutter