• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obscure / Lesser Known Nintendo Franchises Support Thread! (Custom Robo, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Mach Rider, etc.)

Q-Long

Smash Lord
This thread is for anyone supporting more representation of Nintendo's lesser known / less active franchises. One of the reasons why Nintendo is such an awesome company is the sheer amount of IPs it has. Take a look at this Nintendo family tree below at the bottom. Its not even up to date, but you can just see how many franchises Nintendo has. One of the reasons why Nintendo is respected so much is this, it tells a variety of stories, through the use of a diverse range of game genres. Smash, a celebration of Nintendo's legacy and impact on the world of gaming should showcase this.

We have seen what this has done for Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus. It got Kid Icarus a new game and Fire Emblem brought outside of Japan. Its the only way legacy characters like Ness and Captain Falcon (;_;) will ever see action and get merchandise.

So let's support obscure / lesser Nintendo Franchises. Lets hope they get some decent representation, whether it be a character, stage, assist trophy, or whatever! Here are some:

* Custom Robo
* Advance Wars
* Golden Sun
* Magical Star Sign
* Baiten Kaitos
* Chibi Robo
* Sin And Punishment
* Card Hero
* Rhythm Heaven
* Panel De Pon
* Mach Rider
* Star Tropics
* Wonderful 101
* Excite Bike
* From Frog The Bells Toll
* Urban Champion
* Cing Mystery Titles

ETC.

Nintendo Family Tree:

https://imgur.com/a/jLkRgOb

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I support any and all Nintendo franchises getting some sort of representation.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's hoping for Andy and Isaac.

I like this idea. Lesser known series deserve to be celebrated more on this site.

Enchess

Smash Lord
This thread is for anyone supporting more representation of Nintendo's lesser known / less active franchises. One of the reasons why Nintendo is such an awesome company is the sheer amount of IPs it has. Take a look at this Nintendo family tree below at the bottom. Its not even up to date, but you can just see how many franchises Nintendo has. One of the reasons why Nintendo is respected so much is this, it tells a variety of stories, through the use of a diverse range of game genres. Smash, a celebration of Nintendo's legacy and impact on the world of gaming should showcase this.

We have seen what this has done for Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus. It got Kid Icarus a new game and Fire Emblem brought outside of Japan. Its the only way legacy characters like Ness and Captain Falcon (;_;) will ever see action and get merchandise.

So let's support obscure / lesser Nintendo Franchises. Lets hope they get some decent representation, whether it be a character, stage, assist trophy, or whatever! Here are some:

* Custom Robo
* Advance Wars
* Golden Sun
* Magical Star Sign
* Baiten Kaitos
* Chibi Robo
* Sin And Punishment
* Card Hero
* Rhythm Heaven
* Panel De Pon
* Mach Rider
* Star Tropics
* Wonderful 101
* Excite Bike
* From Frog The Bells Toll
* Urban Champion
* Cing Mystery Titles

ETC.

Nintendo Family Tree:

https://imgur.com/a/jLkRgOb
You should add Fatal Frame to the list. It's had 5 mainline games, 2 expanded rereleases, a remake, a manga adaption, novelization, a Japanese live action movie adaption, an announced (although seemingly cancelled) Hollywood adaption, and multiple spinoffs. 2 of the mainlines, the remake, and a spinoff were after Nintendo acquired it too.

Its probably the largest "lesser known" Nintendo franchise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This thread has reminded me, I should probably get around to making that Kyle Hyde thread. Been meaning to make it since before this game was announced.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This thread has reminded me, I should probably get around to making that Kyle Hyde thread. Been meaning to make it since before this game was announced.
back when i first joined i made a thread for the star for cing's other mystery series

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
List can't be complete without Endless Ocean, boi. Probably one of the biggest Nintendo games that isn't in Smash whatsoever.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
pretty much all of them have their own threads
True, thought I should condense them.

You should add Fatal Frame to the list. It's had 5 mainline games, 2 expanded rereleases, a remake, a manga adaption, novelization, a Japanese live action movie adaption, an announced (although seemingly cancelled) Hollywood adaption, and multiple spinoffs. 2 of the mainlines, the remake, and a spinoff were after Nintendo acquired it too.

Did Nintendo purchase it like they did with Xeno?

Is Tin Star still owned by Nintendo?
Ye

List can't be complete without Endless Ocean, boi. Probably one of the biggest Nintendo games that isn't in Smash whatsoever.
I had no idea this series had a character. I should check it out, the diving mini game in Yakuza 6 was fun after all.

Yoooooooo, let us not allow Eternal Darkness to continue to fall into obscurity.
Yes!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
What about Drill Dozer and Harmo Knight? They are Game Freak IPs, I'm not sure if they count, but they both have cool main characters (maybe Tempo does not have enough moveset potetnial? I'm sure they can be creative with him).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What about Drill Dozer and Harmo Knight? They are Game Freak IPs, I'm not sure if they count, but they both have cool main characters (maybe Tempo does not have enough moveset potetnial? I'm sure they can be creative with him).
no they count both co owned by nintendo

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I love a lot of these series. There is something so pleasant when a new franchise joins the fray, because it is when Sakurai gets most creative. Ultimately, the characters who get in really do bring in the mechanics of their series more than anything else.

It's in the exact same position as Bayonetta, making it third party. There is a reason it isnt discussed in this capacity.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...o-own-the-fatal-frame-project-zero-ip.719123/
Even at best, Nintendo 'co-owns' the series. Which seems to be in question at all.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Would be neat to have a three-man-group from Marvelous: Another Treasure Island, the game Aonuma worked on before he joined the Zelda team. Not sure what their moveset would be, or if they'd be like pokemon trainer or more like a three person Ice Climber... probably the former since the latter seems messy.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Die hard Rhythm Heaven Fan here... I'm hoping for at least 1 or 2 obscure franchises to get Character representation this time
Hoping for Rhythm Heaven and Golden Sun, Just because those are the 2 most discussed and wanted...

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Black Orchid (Killer Instinct) Laharl (Disgaea)
Raymond Bryce (Disaster: Day of Crisis) Juliet Starling (Lollipop Chainsaw)
Keiji Thomas (Kung-Fu Master) Claptrap (Borderlands)
Scott Monroe (Red Steel) Alex Mercer (Prototype)
Agent J (Elite Beat Agents) Crazy Dave (Plants vs. Zombies)
Bakuryu (Bloody Roar) Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)
Harry (Teleroboxer) Kate (Pokemon Ranger)
Glover (Glover) Subject Delta (BioShock)
Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper) Dewy (Dewy's Adventure)
NiGHTS (NiGHTS) Shadax (Solstice)

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I would much rather see Smash bring back the old dead characters than bring in the new hot side characters

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Black Orchid (Killer Instinct) Laharl (Disgaea)
Raymond Bryce (Disaster: Day of Crisis) Juliet Starling (Lollipop Chainsaw)
Keiji Thomas (Kung-Fu Master) Claptrap (Borderlands)
Scott Monroe (Red Steel) Alex Mercer (Prototype)
Agent J (Elite Beat Agents) Crazy Dave (Plants vs. Zombies)
Bakuryu (Bloody Roar) Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)
Harry (Teleroboxer) Kate (Pokemon Ranger)
Glover (Glover) Subject Delta (BioShock)
Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper) Dewy (Dewy's Adventure)
NiGHTS (NiGHTS) Shadax (Solstice)
they're asking for nintendo franchises, most of those are third party

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm a big Saki Amamiya supporter, so I'll gladly take lesser known Nintendo franchise reps.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I love obscure and underrated series too. Count me in.
I particularly love Panel de Pon and Excitebike.
Maybe also add NES Sports series to the list?

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Tomato Adventure
Battleclash
Snowboard Kids
The Last Stroy
Fluidity
Fling Smash
The mysterious murasame castle
Illusion of Gaia
Meteos
ASH
Adventures of Lolo

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Illusion of Gaia, Meteos and Adventures of Lolo aren’t owned by Nintendo.
They were published by Nintendo sort off. Lolo was joint published by HAL and Nintendo.

IoG was only published Square Enix in Japan. It was developed by Quintet who IS a third party but the property is Nintendo owned.

Meteos developed Sora ltd and published by Nintendo

So it's fine by me

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They were published by Nintendo sort off. Lolo was joint published by HAL and Nintendo.

IoG was only published Square Enix in Japan. It was developed by Quintet who IS a third party but the property is Nintendo owned.

Meteos developed Sora ltd and published by Nintendo

So it's fine by me
None of them are owned by Nintendo, publishing is not the same as owning the IP. Nintendo has published Dragon Quest games, that doesn’t mean they own DQ.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
None of them are owned by Nintendo, publishing is not the same as owning the IP. Nintendo has published Dragon Quest games, that doesn’t mean they own DQ.
I still don't think it's a problem. Custom Robo's IP isn't owned by Nintendo anymore. And they still got permission to add spirits of Characters from the franchise in. I think Lolo will AT LEAST be a spirit, because it's a game with big impact.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Man, if somehow Tin Star got revived via Smash like Pit and Kid Icarus did that’d be some kind of amazing. That SNES game has a glorious soundtrack

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I still don't think it's a problem. Custom Robo's IP isn't owned by Nintendo anymore. And they still got permission to add spirits of Characters from the franchise in. I think Lolo will AT LEAST be a spirit, because it's a game with big impact.
well they just didnt renew their trademark they still own the copyright to the games themselves, so they didnt need to get permission to include custom robo

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I have a legitimate question for people who want an Advance wars rep in smash. How would you make the moveset? Im asking because I played a bit of these games as a kid and I can't really think of a way they could implement this game to a fighter like this.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I have a legitimate question for people who want an Advance wars rep in smash. How would you make the moveset? Im asking because I played a bit of these games as a kid and I can't really think of a way they could implement this game to a fighter like this.
A moveset that emphasizes strategy. i.e. Strategically buying and utilizing units from funds garnished in battle (just like the series he's from). Advance Wars is home to a wealth of different units like infantry, tanks, indirect units, sea, air units so Andy being able to summon any of these would give him lots of tools in a competitive context. If you want me to give you an example of how Andy's moveset would work I can give it to you. It's something that's never been done in Smash Bros before.

Andy himself (or any CO for that matter) has never been shown fighting before but that leave creative liberties for Sakurai to take with his wrench attacks (just like how he did :ultfalcon:and :ultfox:to a lesser extent).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
id love to see the summoning sprites of the various units for their moveset a bit like pac man's smash attacks

Top Bottom